PDA

View Full Version : New Bonmassa Live CD

Lev
August 6th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I pre-ordered mine today, can't wait to hear it. He put on probably the best live show I've ever attended here in Dublin a few weeks back.

The review here includes Bridge to Better Days taken from Live from Nowehere in Particular.

http://www.modernguitars.com/holland/archives/004563.html

sunvalleylaw
August 6th, 2008, 07:44 AM
That looks like a good one to get! Nice tip Lev!

marnold
August 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Well, that's another one to add to my "must buy" list. I hope it captures the energy he puts out at a live gig.

ShortBuSX
August 6th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Wow that will be great!
I like his live stuff so much more than his studio stuff and his studio stuff is pretty damn good!

I saw him live also, small venue...was flippin sweet!

Guitar-Chris
August 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM
The album was released yesterday so I bought it on iTunes.

Wow, what a great album. Very powerful blues-rock. It has a really good live sound. On the other hand the only negative point: There isn't a lot live athmosphere fom the audience. But that is positive in some way to because the sound is so great.

duhvoodooman
August 20th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Pre-ordered mine over the weekend! :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

Robert
August 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Just bought it too on iTunes Plus!

Guitar-Chris
August 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Just bought it too on iTunes Plus!

iTunes Plus? You must have damn too much money ;)

Robert
August 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I didn't even know what iTunes Plus was, but I could not find the album any other way. :confused: Oh whatever, it was only 20 bucks. I think Joe is worth that.

Guitar-Chris
August 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I didn't even know what iTunes Plus was, but I could not find the album any other way. :confused: Oh whatever, it was only 20 bucks. I think Joe is worth that.

So I was lucky: I saw the normal version first and found the plus version only after I read your post....

marnold
August 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Downloading via Amazon right now. W00t!

Guitar-Chris
August 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM
Downloading via Amazon right now. W00t!

And? What do you think about this album?

Robert
August 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM
It's great! It's cool that he throws in Eric Gales and Deep Purple riffs here and there!

Great playing by Joe. Darn, i want him to come to Edmonton so I can go see him.

Guitar-Chris
August 21st, 2008, 11:36 AM
It's great! It's cool that he throws in Eric Gales and Deep Purple riffs here and there!

Not to forget Jimmy Page with "Kashmere" at Bridge to better days at 3:44.

marnold
August 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
Well, thus far I've only been able to listen to the first two tracks and I had heard the first one before online. Getting there!

duhvoodooman
August 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
My copy arrived today. Looking forward to tomorrow's drive to work....

Lev
August 27th, 2008, 01:43 AM
My copy arrived today. Looking forward to tomorrow's drive to work....

Take the long way!! There's lots to listen to.

Highlights for me: Mountain Time (what a song) and all the acoustic stuff on disk two.

Some of it seems a bit over indulgent (15+ minutes for Just Got Paid) but when I was at the gig I was lapping it up. It just seems when listening to it in your car without the atmosphere and vibe a couple of the solos seem to go on bit too long.

Overall though a fantastic record. It's quite cool to contrast it with John Mayer's recent live CD. Both these guys are (subjectively) considered to be the future of blues but their styles really are poles apart.

duhvoodooman
August 28th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I've been listening to this double-cd set during my work commute the past two days. Since I have a pretty short drive (less than 15 min.), I'm not quite through the 1st CD yet. Just a couple of preliminary comments: Joe's playing is (as I expected) fabulous, and his singing is solid, too. The whole band sounds great (it's a quartet now, with the addition of a keyboardist), and the quality of the live recording is just outstanding. But let me tell you what made the biggest impression on me--this first CD has probably the finest live-recorded Les Paul blues-rock tone I've ever heard. Just unbelievably rich, creamy, full, flat-out gorgeous tone. It's like the best freakin' cheesecake you've ever had in your life, but for your ears instead of your taste buds. I'm sure a lot of it is the equipment he uses--ol' Smokin' Joe ain't got no cheap stuff!!--but the guy(s) who handle his setup are obviously very, VERY good at what they do. If you're an equipment geek like me, you'll also enjoy how Joe lists all the guitars and amps he uses in the CD notes.

Anyway, Joe's tone has had me shaking my head and grinning, and I'm looking forward to the drive home tonight to hear more!

marnold
August 28th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I finally finished listening to it a couple of days ago. I think it does a better job of capturing his live energy than any of his studio recordings have. However, it's still no substitute for the Real Thing, but maybe that's stating the obvious. I wish the acoustic version of "Miss You, Hate You" that he sang towards the end of the show I saw in Green Bay would have been on there (after some semi-drunk chick toward the front kept calling for him to sing "Love You, Hate You."). It was just him and his acoustic. Pretty cool.

duhvoodooman
August 29th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Here's a little taste of that killer LP tone I'm talkin' about:

KGdB0WVt-8o

tot_Ou_tard
August 31st, 2008, 08:35 AM
Works for me. I'll have to get this.

Slowhand
September 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
For more of that tone and much more try this

http://www.jbonamassa.com/jbtv/

cool band he's got:dude: