PDA

View Full Version : What Strat would you buy?

Robert
May 21st, 2006, 10:47 PM
If you would buy a new great Strat, which one would you get? MIM, MIA, a Squier, any higher end clones out there, etc.

I know I'd like to have a Suhr, but suhr enough, I can't afford it. :D

It seems the MIM is the best value, am I right?

Katastrophe
May 21st, 2006, 11:26 PM
I dunno, Robert, there is alot of "bang for the buck" with a MIM... But those Special Edition Squiers that Spuds has posted look pretty darn good for the price!

I believe the Hwy 1 Strat to be a relatively decent value for a 'Merican made Strat, and I happen to like the thinner finishes.

The best, absolute best Strat I have ever played was a Lite Ash Strat, with Seymour duncan pups, birdseye maple neck and fretboard and a natural finish, and black pickguard, pup covers and knobs. I don't know if it was that particular guitar, the tube amph I was playing through or what, but that guitar felt great in my hands. Swamp ash = tone, and you can't go wrong with SD pups. The neck felt more substantial than a garden variety MIM, but it still felt good and comfortable. They were $599.00 back then (they're $629.00 USD at the 'Friend now), and I just didn't have the money to afford it at the time (and, unfortunately, still don't now).

Here's what the Lite Ash Strat looks like... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/product/images/page=1/base_pid=511337

I also want to try the Deluxe Player's Strat. It's an MIM model, but with a flatter fretboard radius and a different pup switching system. Those Strats make me drool...

Since you have an SX bass, I saw this over at Rondo's site, and I think it looks pretty good. With a black prewired pickguard from GFS, it could be a poor man's Lite Ash Strat (except the ash probably isn't swamp ash and the neck and fretboard are flame maple instead of birdseye), and it even comes with a case for $169.00 USD! http://www.rondomusic.net/sstltd2.html (standard disclaimers about not working with, or being any way affiliated with Rondo apply)

So, I guess the answer to your question, my friend, is if I had the money, one of each, please...:D :R :DR

duhvoodooman
May 22nd, 2006, 05:09 AM
That MIM 60th anniversary Strat (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender60thAnniversaryCommemorativeStandardStratoca sterElectricGuitar?sku=517894) looks like an awfully good deal at $500. Also a bit of a "collectibility" factor there, too. I'd want to try before I'd buy, but if I were in the market for a mid-priced Strat, that's the one I'd check out first....

Guitar-Chris
May 22nd, 2006, 05:17 AM
It seems the MIM is the best value, am I right?

If you decide for it, pay attention that you get the new 2006 model. It has medium jumbo frets instead of the small vintage ones, a heavier tremolo block (more sunstain) and comes with a fender gigbag.

You see the differences on the blue sticker on the guitar which says New Model!

Robert
May 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
That MIM 60th anniversary Strat looks mighty sexy. When I buy myself a strat, this time I'll go with a Fender (or else a higher end brand). I want to treat myself to a guitar with overall great quality. Squiers, SX and so on, they are fantastic for the price, but you do get cheap mechanics, etc. I don't mind having several low end nice guitars, but one or two that is a bit higher quality is something I think I need. (don't tell my wife I said that).

I really want a tremolo I can use that also stays in tune. I'm suspicious about the cheap guitars here - although I could always swap the bridge out, but then the overall price goes up... oh well, we'll see.

Right now, I'm eyeing the MIM 60th anniversary Strat the hardest.

Nelskie
May 22nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
I think with all of the "nuances" between Stratocaster models (and that includes copies / knock-offs), it would really bide well for you to be able to go someplace and actually play what you're considering buying. The reason I say this is that I was in the exact same sitaution as you are in now last year - I wanted a decent Strat, and was willing to cough up some dough. Well, after playing over a dozen or so Strats (just Fender stuff, and a lot of USA-made models) I finally settled on a MIM Classic 60's 3TS. The big selling point on that guitar: the neck! Yeah, out of all the guitars I played, the neck on this one was just right - a little bit on the chunky side, but not unmanageable at all. It was beautifully finished, tinted maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. Frets were perfect. Tuners stayed in tune, too. I have since dropped some very nice Fender Custom '69 p'ups in it, as well as a Callaham trem block, and I would have to say right now, it may be the best Strat I've ever played. True, with those mods, I might now be approaching that USA-made price. But I think for me, it's the right guitar. Yes, I do love my MIJ Squier Strat, and am very pleased with its overall sound and quality. However, my new Strat is an entirely different animal. Crazy how two supposedly "similar" guitars are so totally different, which is my case and point. ;)

jpfeifer
May 22nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
Hi Robert,

Good question. There certainly are a ton of varieties of Strats out there these days. Honestly, I have not tried most of them.

I think that it depends on what kind of features you want. I have the Eric Clapton Strat and I gotta say that it is one of the best Strats that I've ever played. It's a very solid feeling guitar due to the chunky 50's style V-shaped neck. It also has a very useful mid-boost wired into one of the tone controls. It works great for putting a little extra fattness into the tone when you want that. It would definitely get another strat with the V-neck shape in the future. It's really nice for bending and seems to give it a better overal tone. However, the Clapton Strat has the tiny vintage style frets which I'm not crazy about. But I've grown used to them. I'd really like to try out the Eric Johnson Strat, because I think that it would have even better features for getting good overall tone and feel. The only thing is that it has the older vintage style pickups, so it won't be the most noise-free, however it probably has excellent tone.

-- Jim

Katastrophe
May 22nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
The cool thing that Fender has done with their line is make a guitar that will fit just about everyone. There is a Strat out there that will fit just about anyone, from signature guitars from just about every genre of music to basic models that cover the whole range of what people look for in a guitar. And if that doesn't work, the parts are easily interchangeable to the point of relatively easily being able to build a complete custom from the ground up from parts off of the internet.

Leo Fender was a true genius.:)

Bloozcat
May 23rd, 2006, 07:07 AM
Personally, I'd get a MIM Jimmy Vaughan Strat. It has a soft V neck profile that I find very comfortable to play, the body is alder, the hardware is all vintage type American made, complete with a steel tremolo block in the bridge. All the parts for the guitar are made in America then shipped to Ensenada for fitting, assembly and painting.

The guitar is wired with the middle pickup tone control switched to the bridge which I prefer, and have done to all of the Strat clones I've assembled for myself. It comes standard with the very playable Tex-Mex pickups.

It's like getting the best of both worlds - basically an American Strat that is assembled and finished with lower cost Mexican labor. It's the one Fender Strat that I just plain like right off the shelf.

blogan
May 23rd, 2006, 10:05 AM
The best, absolute best Strat I have ever played was a Lite Ash Strat, with Seymour duncan pups, birdseye maple neck and fretboard and a natural finish, and black pickguard, pup covers and knobs. I don't know if it was that particular guitar, the tube amph I was playing through or what, but that guitar felt great in my hands. Swamp ash = tone, and you can't go wrong with SD pups. The neck felt more substantial than a garden variety MIM, but it still felt good and comfortable.
I just read something interesting about the Lite Ash Strat and Tele over at TDPRI (http://www.tdpri.com/viewtopic.php?p=511375#511375):

I don't believe that is the case with the Lite Ash Tele...the neck is made with a full maple base thru to the 22nd fret....no 22nd fret overhang. The neck pocket is longer on the body, thus the pickguard has a neck pocket cut out deeper. Both the Lite Ash Tele and Strats are built this way, I believe, to prevent mixing-&-matching with US/Mex products.... http://www.tdpri.com/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

That's great until you want to swap the neck. Warmoth has a list of known incompatible guitars (http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=faq2) (bottom of the page) with this issue. Interestingly, the list doesn't include the Lite Ash guitars. I couldn't find 22-fret necks with no overhang at Musikraft of USACG, either.

Katastrophe
May 23rd, 2006, 11:35 AM
It may be true that the neck pocket in the Lite Ash Strat is longer... The guitar is made in Korea for Fender... If the neck were to break or warp, I guess the alternatives would be to search for a new neck from Fender, or go to the 'bay...

Tone2TheBone
May 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
My vote goes for the Eric Johnson signature Strat. White blonde maple...woo hoo (other assorted colors available too). 2 piece Alder body with a thin coating of Nitro finish for sweet tone. V shape neck (neck is also nitro finished)...12" radius fingerboard. Comes with staggered vintage tuners that supposedly eliminate the need for string trees (which would will help a smoother trem operation). The Fender website says that theres no paint between the base plate and the block which would also make for an even sweeter tone...and Eric is full of tone.

Guitar-Chris
May 23rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
My vote goes for the Eric Johnson signature Strat.

Definitely a very nice guitar, but, the point where the neck goes into the headstock is very, very thin because the headstock is much thinner so in combination with the staggered tuners they need no string trees.

I would be afraid of breaking it.

Tone2TheBone
May 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM
GC - Thats something I've never noticed. I wonder if Eric's other Strats are like that. You could put another neck on there if you wanted to...then again you could get someone to do a nitro finish on a body and build your own Strat if you went to that much trouble to replace a neck. Maybe a homemade Strat would be cool who knows.

Spudman
May 23rd, 2006, 02:55 PM
It may be true that the neck pocket in the Lite Ash Strat is longer... The guitar is made in Korea for Fender... If the neck were to break or warp, I guess the alternatives would be to search for a new neck from Fender, or go to the 'bay...

I had a Lite ash Strat and kept it only a few weeks. The neck was awesome and so comfortable to play, but the sound just wasn't there. The new Squiers I have sound better and have more sustain.
The Lite Ash Tele is a different story, but I guess we're talking Strats here.

Spudman
May 23rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
Here is another option. Carl's Custom Guitars. Great prices and features. If you want an authentic Fend*r decal he has those too.
http://stores.ebay.com/Carls-Custom-Guitars

Guitar-Chris
May 24th, 2006, 05:13 AM
GC - Thats something I've never noticed. I wonder if Eric's other Strats are like that.

Perhaps this "feature" isn't a problem at all. Sure it isn't.

But I'm sure: If I ever own this guitar it will break at the headstock, even if this is the only time in 1000 guitars. ;)

tremoloman
May 24th, 2006, 09:23 AM
If I had some spare cash, I'd snag a 60th Anniversary MIM and refinish it in either shell pink or seafoam green. That guitar's neck feels just as good as my MIA Am. Dlx model. Super sweet sound to boot!

ZoSo65
May 26th, 2006, 03:43 PM
As, tone2thebone mentioned the v shape neck on the EJ Strat. Some added info on it,,it also changes from a v to a modern c shape as it gets closer to the heel.
Oh yeah, it has directional frets that are highly polished as well, and a bone nut.

ted s
July 3rd, 2006, 11:17 AM
Maybe a dumb question here, how do you know if it's MIM or MIA ?

Guitar-Chris
July 3rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Maybe a dumb question here, how do you know if it's MIM or MIA ?

Normally, if it is MIM, the writing on the headsock says: Made in Mexico.

There are also different features (for example different tremolo), but to know all the differences, you have to be a real Fender expert. I'm not that kind of expert. The fender.com webpage has a lot of information about the actual models.

ted s
July 3rd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks Christian, I wasn't sure if it was that evident or not. Wifey-poo says for my 40th. to pick a new guitar, so I am thinking Strat. Maybe I should go for the gusto and get a MIA ?

Guitar-Chris
July 3rd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks Christian, I wasn't sure if it was that evident or not. Wifey-poo says for my 40th. to pick a new guitar, so I am thinking Strat. Maybe I should go for the gusto and get a MIA ?

If you've got the money, do it:R

Perhaps have a look at the different models at the fender homepage. They vary in neckform (they have the form of a D, a C, or a V all seen as if the neck was cut), the tremolo (american standard with 2 srews/posts or vintage with 6 screws) and the electric curcuit, the frets, and so on.

For myself, i like the 50s models with a maple neck.

Katastrophe
July 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Right now, the classic lines of the 50's Strat in Oly White or Daphne Blue are really grabbing my attention.:D

Iago
July 3rd, 2006, 10:58 PM
Welcome Ted!

There are some ways.. checking the serial number would be one of them. what I do is just check pics and specifications of the guitars on the Fender website a lot, so you can reconize a MIA from a MIM from afar, since they all have differences from series to series.

If I had high dollar I would get a:

-Custom LTD 1955 strat
-some 60`s Custom
-Eric Johnson strat (maybe..really need to play it first, I never hear comments about the sound itself, just about how cool it is)
-John Mayer strat (heard good things)
-50`s or 60`s classic series

Cranium
July 14th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I find it best to buy a cheap strat like the MIM and replace parts, much cheaper then buying a signature model or such.

Guitar-Chris
July 15th, 2006, 02:55 AM
I find it best to buy a cheap strat like the MIM and replace parts, much cheaper then buying a signature model or such.

I would go further: A MIM Strat isn't that bad that you have to change anything. I thing it's agood guitar right out of the stock. Only if you like a special pickup-sound you have to change them. But in my opinion not fr quality purposes.

Cranium
July 15th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Im just saying, its better to buy a 350$ standard MIM strat and replace the pickups for like 150$ (depends if you even use the middle pickup, I would just buy 2 so it would be more like 120$) so overall it would be 480-500$, I think thats better then buying a highway1 strat for example, it has better pickups and the neck is 22 frets and its made in USA, but its like 630$ so you get the same guitar but with better pickups (after replacement) and you only lose that one fret which is completely useless and doesn't affect you at all and considering the tax is higher due to the higher price you save about 150$, not such a big deal if you have extra money to spend but it makes you feel better that you saved and you got the pickups of your choice at that, it would cost about 750 if you bought the hwy1 and replaced the pups. :p

Guitar-Chris
July 15th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Cranium, i didn't want to go in opposition. I'm the same opinion than you. I just wanted to make shure nobody thinks, he have to change pickups before playing on a MIM Strat. In My Opinion, most of the more expensive guitars cost to much. Look at the videos of Robert with his almost cheap guitars: He has a great tone.

Cranium
July 15th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Yea but he did put the custom shop 54' pups on his squire strat, the 51' is completely stock though and it sounds real nice, pickups are a preference not a must (I regret wasting money replacing pickups on my ibanez guitar and I don't even like the sound of the new pickup(s) that much, lol)

tremoloman
July 15th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I think MIMs are fine as is once the tremolo block has been upgraded.

Guitar-Chris
July 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I think MIMs are fine as is once the tremolo block has been upgraded.

The new 2006 models have an upgraded Tremolo block (more solid/massive).

Robert
July 15th, 2006, 03:09 PM
So should I buy a new MIM Fender or 4 SX strats.... hmm.... (can of worms opening...)

Cranium
July 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Go for the MIM, lol you already have 4 guitars, how are you gonna decide which one to play if you get 4 more, I think the upgraded MIM's are good.

Spudman
July 16th, 2006, 12:06 AM
I agree. I played a new MIM in the store the other day. It was black with a maple fretboard. I normally wouldn't even look at a black one cause I think they are a little plain looking. Boy was I surprised how good it played and sounded. I have a 92 MIM myself and this one was in a whole different league.

It was more comfortable to play, sounded better than mine and played better than every other Strat in the store from the Eric Johnson to the Am Standard to the reissues.

Go check them out!

SuperSwede
July 16th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I think that they just had to raise the quality on the MIM, the squiers were getting so close in tone/comfort...

Katastrophe
July 16th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Just to open another can o' worms, Fender is upgrading the Hwy 1 line of Strats (and increasing the price). SOOOOOOO, Guitartrader (standard disclaimers apply, don't work for 'em, not connected in any way, etc.) is blowing out the existing models (normally $629) down to $499.00, in MIM territory, which is a great price for an American Made Strat.

Cranium
July 16th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Wow, if I get a chance Im getting one, that a good deal :R

Cranium
July 19th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Sorry guys but I felt the need to say this and didn't want to start a new thread about it.

The upgraded MIM strat sucks a**, the frets feel exactly like old models! the hum was so bad I couldn't put the sound on the amp over 1 (although the lead channel gives off a little more noise then the clean, it was still horrible) my Ibanez RG350 $400 guitar playes like a $1000 comparing with the MIM strat, don't get the new MIM strat, it doesn't feel any better then the old one, also the neck felt all "dried up" I slided my hand on the neck but it felt really...not good.
Only the sound was better then the old ones the block seemed better, but I hated it overall so bad... this thing made me mad :mad: sorry again.

Katastrophe
July 19th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Cranium, I have yet to play any of the upgraded Strats, so I won't dispute at all what you found when you played one... Do you think you might have found a lemon? Even though the US factory is close to the Mexican one, and Fender has reps going back and forth checking quality, a certain percentage of the guitars out of the factory aren't going to be up to snuff. Unfortunately, it's a problem with all mass produced items, from musical instruments to cars to washing machines.

I will say that the '05 MIM that I test drove a while back was a fine instrument, worthy of comparison with more expensive guitars. As with any single coil guitar, there will be hum, but the example I played had a tolerable amount. The neck pickup, however, had great tone, and sounded like a Strat should. The only fault (if you could call it that) was that the frets on the MIM were a bit too small for my tastes, but I'm used to bigger ones on my guitars, and that can be overcome with practice.

To be sure, Ibanez makes a fine guitar at every price point. I know, as I've had one for a number of years now. BUT, even with as nice as Ibanezes are, I had to play a number of different models of different brands to find just the right one.

And, it could be that you're just not a Strat guy... That's cool, and that's why there's a huge market that can fit every taste. I would be very interested in a write up of the guitar(s) you own, and why they feel good to play to you.

Cranium
July 19th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Maybe it was just because Im not used to the feel of the neck, but I played an old MIM strat a while ago and tried a new one, the frets feel pretty much the same, sometimes I think I felt the neck on my fingers, on my ibanez if I try to press all the way to touch the neck the note with definatley go sharp. It is possible I played a bad one, maybe next time I go to the store I will try out another one, also I will try out the highway one model and see how it compares with the MIM one, I noticed palm muting is alot easier on the strat then on my ibanez, I liked the single coil sound but it hummed really bad, I had to put it in position 2.

I like the look of a Strat, I love the single coils, but it just doesn't feel as nice as my Ibanez, Im gonna try the YJM model with the scalloped neck, I always wanted to try that one out :DR

Katastrophe
July 20th, 2006, 06:39 AM
I actually had a YJM Strat in my possession for a week or so in the early '90s (quite a while ago!). At the time, I loved the scallops, as you can grab the string and bend like a madman, but, as I was into Ibanezes at the time I found the neck too chunky and gave it back to my guitar teacher to sell to someone else. Funny, how tastes in guitar necks change over time!

Cranium
July 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
True, who knows maybe in some years I'll be playing vintage frets (probably not though) I like chunky necks because...they just feel good to me and I used to play acoustic when I started on guitar quite a while ago...and the neck was pretty big but I liked it alot, so it would be even better for me with a chunky neck, Im definatly putting the YJM on my list of possible next guitar to buy.

Justaguyin_nc
July 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I am more of a beginner as you know Robert.. But I think I did one thing right.. I have a MIM 60's Strat.. Rosewood Fretboard..with tinted headstock.. Olympic White, Aged Parts.. Split top vintage tuners and vintage six screw bridge all marked Fender from yesterday's... I have been fortunate enough to play the American Strats now.. and I don't see or hear the price difference.. I have been fortunate enough to let those that own the American versions to try this one.. they, like myself love it... it has it all including the sound.. I play it less than the others though... 1)I kinda cherish it..even with the chipped paint on the bottom already..(adds to the age look anyways) 2) it does humm in front of the computer..(I always sit in front of the computer) But when I really try to make good sound (well best I can) it is always in the mix.. as nothing else I have can touch it... My hands have adjusted to the thinner Squier type necks and the spacing just seems monsterous to me on the 60's strat.. It sounds great playing Rhythm..Pots actually work.. Frets are the smaller Vintage type.. many sounds available in the right hands.. I can't see ever buying American other than by Peer Pressure...(GAS)... The MIM has it down pretty well. just my opinion...:rolleyes:

Riley
August 15th, 2006, 08:28 AM
The Jimmie Vaughan MIM Strat is sweet bang for the buck! All american appointments, awesome soft V neck, large frets, and MIM so the cost is affordable.

-peace
-Nate

TS808
August 15th, 2006, 09:46 AM
The Jimmie Vaughan MIM Strat is sweet bang for the buck! All american appointments, awesome soft V neck, large frets, and MIM so the cost is affordable.

-peace
-Nate

I agree. The JV (in my opinion) is pretty close to the American strats in terms of quality. Great neck and the tex mex pups are pretty good too.

SuperSwede
August 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM
A played on that 60th anniversary mexican strat, it was really nice! It has the tex-mex pickups which is rather hot, and a really sweet maple neck.

A warning for all strat-o-buyers, dont buy the lite ash model. It lacked everything that makes a good strat.

Tone2TheBone
August 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM
The more I understand the more I am inclined to agree with the Jimmy Vaughan Strats as being pretty cool. For the moolah.

abraxas
August 29th, 2006, 12:31 AM
The new '50s and '60s Player's Strats (MIM) seem very promising too, and at a very affortable price. In fact, along with the Baja Tele, I believe them to be the best value for money Fender has to offer. ;)

Robert
August 29th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Abraxas, you have me very interested in the Rockinger strats though....

I played a few AM strats recently, even a deluxe, but I was not impressed. Maybe it was poor setups, but they felt much less comfy to play than my Squiers! Those noiseless pickups with push-pull feature were really nice though.

It made me think. Since I love my '51, I could Frankenstratotize it with high quality parts and still be under $600. Then I'd have a strat to love!

abraxas
August 29th, 2006, 08:21 AM

I played a few AM strats recently, even a deluxe, but I was not impressed. Maybe it was poor setups, but they felt much less comfy to play than my Squiers! Those noiseless pickups with push-pull feature were really nice though.

It made me think. Since I love my '51, I could Frankenstratotize it with high quality parts and still be under $600. Then I'd have a strat to love!

Hej Robert! (yes I do have a few friends from Sweden! ;) )

First of all let me congratulate you for all the effort you have put into your site and forum. You are a true inspiration for a lot of guitarists!

Second of all, as chance has it, I was just on the phone with my guitar technician, he has my Blue Dream for final "fine tuning".

Almost everyone seeing my guitar asks "what kind of Fender Strat this is?" :p They are astonished by the quality of the finish and components. And, for playability, sound and sheer "mojo" this guitar assasinates everything by Fender, except for very expensive custom shop models. This is not my evaluation, but that of my technician's, who happens to be a die-hard Fender fan!

I firmly believe you can make a "custom shop" guitar of your own, with few financial resources. My Blue Dream cost me a little less than 950€, labor inclusive, but, should I be living in the US (with much lower prices on parts), it would be closer to $700.

Try Allparts and USA Custom Guitars for necks. They are very high quality and totally compatible. You can still do the neck finishing yourself, it is quite easy actually.

Tuners and bridges of very good quality can be purchased for less than $30 in the US. As for pickups and electronics, I got my Suhr V60s for $216 from a US online shop (actually, an american friend bought them for me). And they are about the most expensive Strat pickups you can get.

I say go for it, apart from all other considerations, you shall finally have a totally personalized instrument, with specs available nowhere else! ;)

Robert
August 29th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks for suggestions, I may go for a custom made FrankenStrat!

Did you post an introduction in the Fret players forum yet?

abraxas
August 29th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Did you post an introduction in the Fret players forum yet?

Not yet, will do ASAP ;)

Katastrophe
August 29th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Hey Robert - here's another vote for the MIM 60th anniversary edition MIM. Man, that guitar felt GREAT! Nice neck, perfect frets, and the pups where like buddah! For me, they were just right, and not too hot. A little hum at louder volumes, but nothing a good shielding job couldn't fix.

Leonidas
August 29th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Hey Robert, just jumpin in this thread late, but Did you ever consider the new Agile strat copies? from Rondo Music? I know you have an SX, but them new Agile Strat copies look REALLY NICE. The Agile line is a much better line than the SX's. On the other hand, the MIM's are excellent strats. I have a friend who has a satin-finish one and it is a great all-around guitar. I have an Agile Les Paul clone.. and I gotta say everything about it is as good as the TOP END epiphones, especially with a good set of aftermarket pups.

Them agile strat copies look really nice... anyone try one out? (the only problem with ordering from rondo..)

Robert
August 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Well, Leonidas, I haven't thought about the Agile much. I've never tried one. At this point, whatever (if any) Strat I buy, I need to try it first, and it better be good. I have enough budget guitars, I want something really good! I am in no hurry though.

Leonidas
August 29th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Yep, I figured you would want to try it first. Just thought I'd throw that out there.. plus I'm curious if anyone else has tried one.... Anyone??

elavd
August 30th, 2006, 07:17 AM
+1 for Rockinger. Robert, I think that you would be excited if you had the chance of trying one of them...;)

Elias

Robert
August 30th, 2006, 07:57 AM
One more thought I had - a G&L Legacy. G&L make awesome guitars. Anyone tried a Legacy?

abraxas
August 30th, 2006, 08:26 AM
One more thought I had - a G&L Legacy. G&L make awesome guitars. Anyone tried a Legacy?

Although I haven't tried them (I believe you are talking about the American Series, not the Korean made ones), all reviews speak of very well made and sounding instruments.

One catch though: considering this one, you are drifting a bit away from the "standard" of the Stratocaster, both tone-wise and as far as parts/philosophy are concerned.

In that sense, I believe the best "modern" incarnation of the "Strat Ideal" to be the Musicman Silhouette Special. It comes in a version with 3 single coils as well as H-S-S config. Cost should be about the same as a Legacy. And I guarantee, should you try one, you will not be able to put it down. ;)

Spudman
August 30th, 2006, 07:12 PM
In case everyone hasn't heard...Music 123 has a pre sale going on for the new Standard series Strats (MIM). $399 for regular colors and $35? more for Sunburst. They come with choice of fretboard.

As of 8-29-2006

r_a_smith3530
September 3rd, 2006, 08:28 PM
Before you rush out and buy, I would also check out another "Fender," and that one is the G&L Legacy, in either USA trim or, if money is shy, a Tribute version. If money is not the issue, I'd also look at the George Fullerton Signature. Now we're talking Fender!

WideAwake
May 31st, 2007, 07:10 PM
I believe the Hwy 1 Strat to be a relatively decent value for a 'Merican made Strat, and I happen to like the thinner finishes.

I know this was an older post, but the HW1's are American made...

r_a_smith3530
May 31st, 2007, 07:23 PM
I know this was an older post, but the HW1's are American made...

Hmm, WideAwake? That is exactly what Katastrophe originally stated, and you quote, if you will take a moment to reread his post. He states that the HW1 is "a relatively decent value for a 'Merican (not Mexican) made Strat."

Yes, the Highway One series is American made. I almost laid down money on a HW1 Jazz bass until I checked out my ZON. I got such a great deal on the Sonus, and it is just so much more bass than even an American Fender, that I could not possibly pass it by.

Oh, I just noticed, I need to update my sig file. Later folks!

WideAwake
May 31st, 2007, 08:36 PM
I humbly stand corrected, I read it wrong.

Way to go for my first post!! :rolleyes:

r_a_smith3530
May 31st, 2007, 09:00 PM
I humbly stand corrected, I read it wrong.

Way to go for my first post!! :rolleyes:

Nothin' to it! Keep comin' back. Do you have an HW1? I can't speak for the Strat, but the Jazz bass is quite an instrument for the bucks.

WideAwake
June 1st, 2007, 05:18 AM
I do have a HW1.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5040/hw1hssqo5.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hw1hssqo5.jpg)http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/302/hw1hss2pv6.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hw1hss2pv6.jpg)http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2484/hw1hss1dm7.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hw1hss1dm7.jpg)

I love it. It's got the best neck I've ever played, personally. When I was shopping for my strat, I tried just about everything in the store, and I kept coming back to this one. I even periodically checked back in during my 30 day return window to make sure I "shouldn't maybe spend a little more" but always left feeling I made the right decision. I was torn between and American Deluxe for a little while, it was a very nice guitar, but I still went back to the HW1. I did play a few other HW1's, and while I liked them all, none of them had as nice a neck as mine, I thought. Maybe I just got lucky and found THE ONE.

I did play some of the higher end strats, Eric Johnson and John Mayer, and I liked the Mayer, but thought it was a little overpriced, and I absolutely hated the neck on the EJ.

Bottom line, don't let the price of the HW1 trick you into thinking it's a cheap guitar. I may change out the tuners with the Fender/Schaller locking ones, but to be honest, I am having zero tuning issues with the Pings, so it would be more of a want than a necessity. I did have my tech add two extra springs and set the bridge flush, I don't use the bar at all.

My only real concern (and it's fading fast - the concern, not the finish!) was the finish. I've already got a shiny spot where my arm rubs, and some slight pick scratches where I seem to always hit the wood before the pickguard, you can't see them unless you really look, but I'd imagine over the years it will wear a little quicker. That said, it's not nearly as sensitive as some of the naysayers have reported either. If you treat it right, it should be fine.

duhvoodooman
June 1st, 2007, 05:21 AM
Nice looking Strat there. I like the "zebra" look of the black p'ups and knobs against the white p/g. Did it come that way, or did you change it?

WideAwake
June 1st, 2007, 05:46 AM
Came that way, and I agree, that was one of the things that caught my eye also.

tot_Ou_tard
June 1st, 2007, 06:17 AM
WideAwake,

Did you try a Jimmie Vaughan in your quest for a strat? It receives rave reviews 'round here & elsewhere.

r_a_smith3530
June 1st, 2007, 07:13 AM
WideAwake, I know what you're saying with the matte finish. My Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 has a matte finish, and it too is getting a shiny spot where my arm comes over the edge.

That's a sweet looking Strat. From what I've heard, some folks prefer the HW1's finish, saying that it lets more of the instrument's true woody tone through. Like I mentioned before, I really liked the blonde HW1 Jazz that I checked out.

WideAwake
June 1st, 2007, 09:15 AM
No I didn't, but I've heard good things.

Big_Rob
June 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM
Sunburst Highway One all the way.

TS808
June 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I was out looking at guitars over the past weekend (didn't buy any though) and here's what I liked for strats:

Jimmie Vaughan-awesome bang for the buck, great build, great tone.
American Series strat....a little bit more money, but the necks on them are sweet.

American Deluxe Strat-the finishes on these are great, but why did Fender put those crazy colored pickguards on them??

jpfeifer
June 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Hi Robert,

Here is my opinion for what it's worth:
Don't mess with the cheap guitars. Get yourself the best guitar you can afford, you won't be sorry. You're a great player and you should have a guitar that makes you play your best. (end of sermon)

I've heard that Shur makes great guitars, but I've never tried one.

From the ones that I've tried I would reccomend the Eric Johnson Model or the Eric Clapton model. Both are great guitars and have slight modifications that make them play very nicely. I own the Eric Clapton model and really like it. If I had to buy a new one I think that I would go for the Eric Johnson one.

my 2 cents. -- Jim

Robert
June 27th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks Jim, I appreciate the advice. I think you are right. I got a Fender Deluxe Players a while ago. Nice guitar, and I'm still excited to play it. One day I'll probably get a Suhr! It could take a while before then though, they ain't cheap.

Big_Rob
June 28th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I would buy the Highway One sunburst Strat. ;)

Iago
July 1st, 2007, 08:24 PM
If I had high dollar I would get a:

-Custom LTD 1955 strat

I can't believe I said that hahahahaha

pes_laul
July 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM
That MIM 60th anniversary Strat looks mighty sexy. When I buy myself a strat, this time I'll go with a Fender (or else a higher end brand). I want to treat myself to a guitar with overall great quality. Squiers, SX and so on, they are fantastic for the price, but you do get cheap mechanics, etc. I don't mind having several low end nice guitars, but one or two that is a bit higher quality is something I think I need. (don't tell my wife I said that).

I really want a tremolo I can use that also stays in tune. I'm suspicious about the cheap guitars here - although I could always swap the bridge out, but then the overall price goes up... oh well, we'll see.

i have a squire affinity strat which the trem stays in tune

guitaro
August 22nd, 2007, 01:23 AM
"What do you guys thinl about this one? :cool:
However it is over my budget :( ... Last time I checked it was $4600. I like it's look, but I wonder how it sounds and feels like. Anyone got a chance to try one?

Fender Stratocaster® Custom Shop Limited Edition - 60s Stratocaster Relic LTD Guitar

http://topguitars.info/images/stories/electric-guitars/fender/stratocaster/Limited%20Editions/electric_guitar_fender_STRATOCASTER_60s_RELIC_LTD. jpg

Description:
The Fender 60s Stratocaster Relic LTD Electric Guitar looks like a real vintage classic thanks to aged knobs, pickup covers, pickguard, tremolo, and switch tip. U-shaped maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Vintage tuners and tremolo. Fender includes three vintage single-coil pickups with your '60s Stratocaster for sound as old as it looks.

Unique Features of Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition 60s Stratocaster Relic LTD Electric Guitar:
-‘60s Oval “C” Shape Maple Neck
-Middle Pickup is Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity
-Tinted Neck
-Custom Shop Limited Edition Decal
-Limited Edition Certificate
-Bone Nut
-All Original Detailing
-Built From Original Tooling
Shows natural wear and tear of years of heavy use, nicks, scratches, worn finish rusty hardware and aged plastic parts.

Colors ((482) Black over 3-Color Sunburst
(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
Body Premium Lightweight Alder Body
Neck Maple, ‘60s Oval “C” Shape,
(Tinted Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
Fingerboard Dark Rosewood, 9.5” Radius (241mm)
No. of Frets 21 Medium Jumbo Frets
Pickups 3 Texas Special™ Single-Coil Strat® Pickups,
Custom middle pickup is reverse wound/reverse polarity for hum canceling in switch positions 2 and 4

Fender 60s Stratocaster Relic LTD Guitar Review (http://topguitars.info/guitars/view/470/116/default.html)"

Adrian30
September 27th, 2007, 11:27 AM
A Classic Players '60s just like the one in the pic. Than I woud "age" them white plastic parts.:) I haven't bought a thing this year, all of 2007. G.A.S. is pressing pretty hard and the budget is not cooperating.:(

Adrian30
September 27th, 2007, 09:45 PM
After reading Elavds review of the guitar sayng (among the rest) :

"The color contrast of the sonic blue, the mint green pickguard and the aged plastic parts is wonderful!!! The guitar looks as an old guitar forgoten for a long long time unplayed…"

Strike the above mentioned "aging" of white plastic parts.:thwap:
It's just that in the pic that I posted above, the pickguard, pick up covers and knobs look so pale...I'm not into relicing, but I have a dislike the 100% white plastic, that's all...

pie_man_25
September 28th, 2007, 08:29 AM
If I had the cash, I'd probably get a highway one strat, if they come in swamp ash, otherwise, I'd probably get an SX, I might get one of their jazz bass models as a backup for my fender, and also as a platform for modding.

Duff
November 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I just got two Highway One's, an sss and a hss. $388 each, new through a big chain I have no affilliation with, initials, GC. This deal is NOT advertized; you need to call the store and talk to the manager. Tell him what you heard about the 388 deal. I just got my two. Had to call around.

The pickups are not regular strat pickups but incorporate some special system. They play great. The necks are thin, not like base ball bats. The quality of build is excellent. The parts are really good, like a steel tremolo block (tested with a magnet). The h'bucker is hot and the singles are hot, alnico pickups. The tonal variety on the hss is outstanding as is the sss, using the five way switch. So a lot of people wouldn't want to replace the pickups. They are supposed to have a certain deeper tone engineered in by Fender. I was thinking about putting my set of locking Fender tuners on one and a set of stainless saddles, but was advised by some pro's not to alter it. I might do it anyway because I know it will change the sound, especially the stainless saddles.

I would say think about a Highway One. Supposedly they have been getting some undeserved put downs.

Think about it: made in Mexico - made in USA.

The Hwy 1's have this cool finish that glows. They are definitely worth looking at and playing and seeing if you can get the deal if you are thinking about money. Compare on to a MIM, MIM's are everywhere. Try finding a Hwy 1 at the sale price. There is a reason they are hard to find.

I probably would have bought a MIM strat if I didn't find out about this deal; although those Agile higher end ones are supposed to be nice like the 802 or 1000. Even the cheap SX SST's are cool and, obviously, can be modified. I put a Lil' Killer twin rail in the bridge on one. It was 17K the stock one was like 5K. That little killer had real bite too, not a muffled tone at all.

Below are two Highway One's (the center maroon guitar body is not discolored, that is pixelization mess ups from the low quality attachment settings I used. It is a perfect maroon stain you can see the grain through to some degree, more so on the blonde one):

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_59047391555407e3.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=65)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_5904739157dc6bfb.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=66)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_59047391598a6d70.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=67)

Radioboy950
November 12th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Say Duff...
Those are pretty nice lookin "value" Strats, and I'm very curious about the HSS in particular. Is there an audio clip or two floating around that I could listen to?

Duff
November 25th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Those Hwy one's are 2007's by the way, at 388 US each.

Duffy

pes_laul
November 28th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Lately I've been GASing for one of those floyd rose equipped strats :drool:

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2007, 09:02 PM
A Classic Players '60s just like the one in the pic. Than I woud "age" them white plastic parts.:) I haven't bought a thing this year, all of 2007. G.A.S. is pressing pretty hard and the budget is not cooperating.:(
Can you elaborate on why you'd choose this one Adrian?

Also I'd be interested in why you'd opt for a rosewood fretboard over maple.

hubberjub
November 30th, 2007, 09:47 AM
This is the one. The culmination of 53 years of Stratocaster progress.

CLICK ME!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Hello-Kitty-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=512071)

Adrian30
November 30th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Can you elaborate on why you'd choose this one Adrian?

Also I'd be interested in why you'd opt for a rosewood fretboard over maple.

Sorry for a late response, Tot.
I played one of these strats at GC, along with few other guitars, really more testing a used Crate amp than guitars, and loved it. It just sounded good and felt great! As for the rosewood, I have three guitars with maple fretboard, and I’m more than ready to have one with rosewood fetboard. Besides, in pure visual grounds, I like the contrast between the light colors of the body and dark fretboard. I think it looks really retro-edgy.

Lev
December 1st, 2007, 05:50 AM
Sorry for a late response, Tot.
I played one of these strats at GC, along with few other guitars, really more testing a used Crate amp than guitars, and loved it. It just sounded good and felt great! As for the rosewood, I have three guitars with maple fretboard, and I’m more than ready to have one with rosewood fetboard. Besides, in pure visual grounds, I like the contrast between the light colors of the body and dark fretboard. I think it looks really retro-edgy.

Adrian, it's an amazing guitar for the price. It's like stepping into a time machine each time you play - you are quite right - no need to age any parts it's perfect as is. I'm not sure the picture you posted is an actual Classic Player because the blue is much lighter than that on the CP60's - it's almost white. You can check my youtube vids in my sig - I have two with my CP60's.

Adrian30
December 1st, 2007, 06:40 AM
Adrian, it's an amazing guitar for the price. It's like stepping into a time machine each time you play - you are quite right - no need to age any parts it's perfect as is. I'm not sure the picture you posted is an actual Classic Player because the blue is much lighter than that on the CP60's - it's almost white. You can check my youtube vids in my sig - I have two with my CP60's.

I did check out your youtube videos, and let me say first that I like your playing and tone.:AOK:
As for the picture that I posted, I think i snached it from the MF website, supposedly describing the CP 60's, but who knows...maybe a bad picture, altered colors?
Anyhow, I found this to be a great sounding and cool looking guitar.

tot_Ou_tard
December 1st, 2007, 06:43 AM
Adrian, I have had a bunch of maple boards, then I'd go for the rosewwod too.

Sweet playing on those vids Lev!