PDA

View Full Version : Line 6 M13 stomp box modeler

Spudman
August 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Line 6 will soon be releasing the new M13 stomp box modeler.
http://line6.com/m13/

Many Line 6 users use their Pod XT Live just for he effects. This is a way to get all that without the amp modeling. Highly programmable, durable and well thought out. It offers a nifty solution to pedal boards.

birv2
August 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM
How much $$ do you think it will cost?

Mr Grumpy
August 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Thats a mighty sexy looking thing

but its going cost SO much money.....

Spudman
August 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
They are listed at MF and Sweetwater etc for $499. Cheap when you look at buying 3 or 4 pedals alone at that price.

SuperSwede
August 7th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Spud, thats not a bad price at all considering what you get for the money.

So.... are you going to treat yourself with one? :)

Spudman
August 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Spud, thats not a bad price at all considering what you get for the money.

So.... are you going to treat yourself with one? :)

I'll certainly be trying one out. Every time I've heard someone using the XT Floor I've really liked their sound and it would simplify a bunch of issues I'm having with getting a lot of effects together but trying not to loose signal quality. For the price of two ZYS pedals you can get everything and it's programable.

sunvalleylaw
August 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
What about the newer Boss one? Is that similar? What are the main differences?

SuperSwede
August 8th, 2008, 02:56 AM
What about the newer Boss one? Is that similar? What are the main differences?

The ME?

sunvalleylaw
August 8th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I was totally misremembering when I posted that last night. I meant the Digitech RP500

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6801

I will look at the specs and see, but wonder what you guys think. That digitech looked pretty cool too. I also see MF did a review of the RP500 here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document/digitech/rp500?doc_id=103755&src=3NL8H7&ZYXSEM=0&Prime= and I will post that link in the correct thread above as well.

If I did not already have almost all the pedals I really want right now, (I guess including the Korg multi I have, I have most things covered) I would look at one of the above very seriously. I like the intuitive dial style of the digitech, but would need to learn more about the advantages if any of the more expensive Line6 one as well.

djmcconnell
September 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I'm thinking very seriously about pulling the trigger on one of these. If I could just find an online retailer that would discount Line 6 gear -- even a little. Line 6 must have pretty tight control over the retailer community.

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Some nights I'll plug into the Line 6 Pod 2.0 all by itself or into one of my amphs. A nice change of pace from having to replug the jack into the Fuzz Face on the pedal board and plug in the main power adapter for the others. ;) Line 6 makes some GOOD ****.

djmcconnell
September 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I placed the order for the M13 tonight. I've seen enough videos on YouTube and heard the sounds on the Line6 site to know that this will more than meet my needs.

I'm planning to place the PRS Mira order later this fall. I'm pretty jazzed up to have some new gear!

Spudman
September 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I placed the order for the M13 tonight. I've seen enough videos on YouTube and heard the sounds on the Line6 site to know that this will more than meet my needs.

I'm planning to place the PRS Mira order later this fall. I'm pretty jazzed up to have some new gear!

Congratulations. :AOK: That is going to be a very enjoyable piece of gear. It's got my wondering what I can get rid of to justify getting one too. They really seem like they are well thought out and simple to use.

djmcconnell
September 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I took delivery of the m13 yesterday, and played with it for about 3 hours last night. I'm tired, my fingers are tired, my hind end is tired -- but I had a great time exploring.

So far, so VERY good.

TS808
September 24th, 2008, 05:34 PM
The M13 really looks interesting. Post some reviews once you give it a good workout.

Rocket
September 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM
...my hind end is tired -- but I had a great time exploring.
I don't know if it specifies in the manual... you're supposed to stomp on those buttons!

Spudman
September 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
my hind end is tired -- but I had a great time exploring.

Ya know...something odd about this statement. I'm kind of thinking Clay Aiken maybe George Michael. I dunno.:poke: :D

Rocket
September 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Ya know...something odd about this statement. I'm kind of thinking Clay Aiken maybe George Michael. I dunno.:poke: :D
(...not that there's anything wrong with that!)

djmcconnell
September 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I guess I deserve that. I should probably re-read my posts before I hit the submit button. :thwap:

Jimi75
September 25th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Germany's biggest guitar magazine writes that this stomp monster opens the door for Joe Normal to enter the world that is usually only accessible to poeple who can afford Bob Bradshaw systems.

some of the Line6 stomps had great quality, so I think it is a good buck for the money. The idea is really cool and the true bypass feature makes it even worth the money.

I am not sure if I would buy it, as I get along with 1-2 stomp boxes in my set up.

Spudman
November 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM
:) Omg!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/Line6-M13.jpg

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Hmm, someone find a package at the door today? ;) :bravo:

Spudman
November 7th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Hmm, someone find a package at the door today? ;) :bravo:

Nope. But the FedEx driver brought me a wine soaked box with an M13 in it.:AOK:

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I wish those FedEx drivers would quit spilling their wine while they are driving! Was he drinking red? It stains you know.

Spudman
November 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
The box it came in was soaked but the unit was bagged in plastic so everything is good. Besides, this thing is NEVER going to see the inside of a box ever again. It's great! I have a bunch of pedals for sale now and a much easier more flexible set up.

Check one out if you can. I'm getting great sounds right away and it's super easy to tweak and simple to use.

Spudman
January 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Another post showing appreciation for the M13

I just updated the whole effect unit. How cool is that? Can you download and install the latest version of your Tube Screamer?

This is what I love. As they make it better I just update it.

SuperSwede
January 12th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Thats a really cool unit Spuds!

What effects/pedals do you dig so far?

Also. This thread is useless without clips. :D

Jimi75
January 12th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Spud, congrats! I can imagine it being a lot of fun playing and experimenting with the M13. I think it is the most innovative Line6 product in a long time. What I heard of this unit so far (only internet clips) was pretty convincing. Look forward to hearing some clips of you playing that unit!

J75

abraxas
January 25th, 2009, 02:21 PM
OK.

I've done it.

I bought one too! :AOK:

Impressions are GREAT thus far; in fact, I'm taking it to a gig next Wednesday! :dude:

Spudman
January 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Congratulations. Be patient and tweak a lot. You'll end up with sounds you've never thought of and still have the basics as well.

sunvalleylaw
January 25th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Premier Guitar gave it a good review this last issue (the hot rod guitar issue). They look pretty darn cool!

abraxas
January 26th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Congratulations. Be patient and tweak a lot. You'll end up with sounds you've never thought of and still have the basics as well.

Thanks Spud! :D

The M13 replaced a bunch of pedals I used to have on my pedalboard. In fact, it cost me a lot less than the total amount I got from selling them! Even after a few days of tweaking I've got most of the tones I need for live work.

I kept a few pedals which I consider as "keepers", such as my EHX Deluxe Memory Man, my Budda Bud-wah and a few others; also I am soon to get a couple of custom made OD pedals (from a good friend of mine) which have a somewhat unique tonal character to them. But the M13 will be my "grab and go" box of effects, and without any compromises with my sound.

Highly recommended; and firmware version 1.05 is around the corner too. ;)

Spudman
January 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Highly recommended; and firmware version 1.05 is around the corner too. ;)

I noticed that. Rich said they are already looking at a 1.06 update in late summer. I think it's great that Line 6 are really listening to the guys that are using the M13. They seem to really want this to fly and to take care of the folks that have bought them already.

sunvalleylaw
January 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I know I have asked this, and the answer has just not stuck with me. Could you tell me again please, why this one is better in your minds than the Digitech one that is similar?

Spudman
January 26th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I know I have asked this, and the answer has just not stuck with me. Could you tell me again please, why this one is better in your minds than the Digitech one that is similar?

With the M13 you don't have to deal with amph modeling, you get much more flexible routing, constant updates, you can also run 4 of the same effect at a time. As far as I now this is the only unit out that can do that. It also allows you to set up 12 separate pedal boards that can be accessed with 1 button stomp.

abraxas
January 26th, 2009, 01:03 PM
With the M13 you don't have to deal with amph modeling, you get much more flexible routing, constant updates, you can also run 4 of the same effect at a time. As far as I now this is the only unit out that can do that. I also allows you to set up 12 separate pedal boards that can be accessed with 1 button stomp.

Being able to combine 4 of *whatever* stomp models was a major selling point in my case.

Also the routing is almost perfect (for a digital device), and the arrangement is almost identical to pedals. A trackload of pedals. :D

The only things I miss are, a global volume setting and the ability to bypass the whole thing with one click. But both can be taken care of with a simple and efficient bypass box, perhaps with a good buffer to implement the master volume issue too. ;)

Lev
January 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I feel GAS coming on... and I swore 2009 would be a GAS free year!!

Check this video demo: http://www.joost.com/298o8vt/t/Line-6-M13

Spudman
May 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
After several months of ownership and an intense weekend of searching for sounds and making a racket I have to say that this is the best pedal I've owned yet. It just never leaves me wanting, I get unreal sounds from it, it helps me to be more creative and it keeps me wondering what else I can make it do. Truly a great piece of gear. :AOK:

My first tendency after I got it was to always compare the modeled sounds with what I thought the pedals that were being modeled should sound like. Big mistake, but still a process that a lot of people are going to go through. When I quit doing that and just started searching for my own sounds and dialing them in, I have been greatly rewarded. There are so many cools sounds in this thing. Wow. I've got my first 'scene' really dialed and it suits a majority of what my needs are. Soon I'll have to set up some other scenes for other moods and feelings.

All in all - just a great unit. It's definitely curbed my pedal gas.

bank one
Classic Distortion
Tube Drive
Vetta Comp

bank two
Dimension Chorus
Optical Tremolo
Line 6 Drive

bank three
Throbber
Synthomatic
Analog Delay

bank four
Diglital Delay
Digital Delay
Hall Reverb

Lev
May 21st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Spud, are you using this exclusively now or in combination with other pedals? Also do you just stick it in front of the amp or do you put the delay/modulation through the Fx loop on your amp. Curious to know how the distortions/overdrives sound (usually line6's weaker fx). I think it's only a matter of time before I pull the trigger on one of these.

Spudman
May 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Right now I'm using it exclusively with maybe a wah in front. I really like everything I can get from it. I may in the future throw some things into the loop on the M13 but for now I'm happy just the way it is.

I run it straight into the front of a semi clean amph. Guitar>M13>Amph (2 cables). One of these days I'll try the delays into the amp's loop (4 cables) but for now I like the lo-fi sound going into the front.

If you spend time tweaking the dirt on it it is very satisfying but you must tweak. The knobs don't always work like you would expect a mid, treble, bass, drive to work on a conventional pedal. The trick is to play with the knobs on each emulation to find out what they do then get your sound. I really like the variety of dirt I can get and the quality of the timbre. Just forget about comparing it to what ever pedal it is supposed to emulate and take it for what it is.

It's cured my pedal g.a.s.:)

Spudman
July 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM
This is from the product manager:

Jul 17, 2009 3:52 AM
Oh man guys, Rich here and I am excited...
The next update for M13 is gonna be huge!!! I have seem some of the things (of course can't say anything) that will be in there and wow, wow, wow....

It is looking like it will be early fallish, so a monthish later than I was thinking, but this one will be worth the wait..

It will be because of your input and I thank you.

bigG
July 28th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Thought you M13 guys might enjoy this new demo from GW of the Line 6 M13.

Text and vid review and demo - go to middle of page for 7 minute video:

Enjoy!

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/line_6_m13_stompbox_modeler

G

Lev
August 11th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Pulled the trigger on one of these today :D
Had to sacrifice my Vintage Lemon Drop & my PRS Santana SE to fund it but I'm happy to swap 2 guitars that I hardly ever play for an FX unit that I'll use every day.

Should have it in a couple of days. Can't wait, the flexibility should work well for my cover band gigs.

New rig will be Strat -> EX7 -> M13 -> Clean HRDlx

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Cool Lev. I will be interested in how you compare it with the Boss unit you had that seemed kind of similar and also interesting.

Spudman
August 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
New rig will be Strat -> EX7 -> M13 -> Clean HRDlx

Congratulations Lev! I know you'll enjoy it. Spend time with it and you'll be greatly rewarded.

That is the same line up that I will be using too. Exactly.

Spudman
September 29th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Okay, I finally got to use my M13 with the band and all I can say is wow! Sure it was kind of cool around the house and I've really enjoyed getting to know it well, but in the real music setting this thing is an absolute standout. Everything about the guitar is clearer, more controlled and fun.

I have become a fill in player for a local country band and with my regular analog board it's been difficult to get just the right sound I wanted. On the M13 I'm using the Blue Compressor for clean picking and strumming, the Tube Screamer for light grit and the Tube Drive for heavier stuff. I also have 3 different delays so I can get the chicken picking slap back or long filling delays and one other all set with the tap tempo button. The reverb is turned off on my amph and I'm using one of the M13 reverbs. I also have a chorus and tremolo set up as well.

The best thing about this is....that it just sounds great. Not merely good but really great in the mix. There is more presence to the guitar no matter what effect I run. These at the often found street price of $399 are a complete steal. Forget about comparing it to whatever pedal it is supposed to be modeled after and just play the damn thing and use your ears. They will be quite satisfied.

I'm really excited for the fall update which is free for M13 owners to download. :AOK:

Lev
September 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I'll be doing my first gig with mine next month. For the moment I'm going to use my Dano Cool Cat Drive in front of it as I haven't had much time to tweek the distortions. The distortions sound great at home but rehearsal time with the band is precious so I'll gradually start using them as I get time. Anyone who slates Line 6 really needs to try one of these units.

Spud, are you using anything for boosting your solos? So far I've setup the Tube Comp as a boost but was wondering if there are any other options?

Spudman
September 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I have my TS module in the second slot so that I can stack the Comp or Tube Drive on top of it if I need a boost. Otherwise just the Wah pedal is in front of the M13. I'm usually just rolling up my volume for lead boosts anyway. Eventually I'm going to try some other pedals with the M13 just to see what happens but for now I can easily get the job done with just the M13.

Spudman
October 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
It seems like the new update for the M13 might come out tonight.

Here is the news from Line 6

Here is a simple straight forward list of all the new stuff.

New stuff in M13 2.0 update since 1.07
New Models (Descriptions on the M13 website now)
Pattern Tremolo
Barberpole Phaser
Script Phaser
AC Flanger with Bucket Brigade chip modeled
80A Flanger with Bucket Brigade chip modeled
Frequency Shifter Line 6 original
Clean Bass Octaver
5 EQs
8 Wahs
Smart Harmony
Pitch Glide
Particle Verb Line 6 original

New Features for 2.0 M13
Relative mode (parameters don’t jump to the knob position)
4 folders of 12 scenes each (total of 48 scenes) Also accessible via Midi
Copy effect from one Scene to another Scene.
Control the Looper via midi without the M13 going into looper mode
Dim OFF for inactive pedals
Heel/Toe pixels to show you where the expression pedal heal and toe are
Sync to Midi beat clock
Re-syncing LFOs for mods and filters on Tap tempo

New features from 1.07 update if you are on 1.04
BPM in menu that is scene specific
FX loop OFF as a parameter to use that is scene specific
Octo verb crackles fixed
Hitting rev from record/overdub goes into play reversed immediately

Spudman
October 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
The new update is officially released. Go get em.

Spudman
October 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
OH MY GAWD! The update is incredible. I feel like I was just given $500 worth of stuff for free. Every effect sounds better and there are now 48! scenes instead of the original 12. 48!!! pedal boards! Amazing!

More on this later.:AOK:

djmcconnell
October 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Guess what I'll be doing tonight instead of practicing? I'm excited for the updates and please to hear that so many more effects -- including wahs -- are available.

Spudman
October 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
I'm back home now and I'm going to go experiment with the wahs and other stuff. So far every new effect I've heard has sounded really good. The parameter knobs on all functions work better than before. No jumping - nice and smooth. Report to follow. I'm really excited.

This is going to the gig this weekend for sure. It took no time at all to dial in a new scene for the majority of my material. Today I'm going to do 2 more scenes just in case I want some other flavors. I'll put wahs in the new scenes as well as the whammy.

Spudman
October 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I just tried the wahs and every one of them sounds great and unique. Smooth and no scratchiness from dirty pots either.:AOK: In wahs alone if I purchased everyone included in the M13 it would cost me easily over $1,000.

Now for the Whammy.

Lev
October 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Just did the update today and I'm blown away!! This was already a great FX unit, it is now simply OUTSTANDING. Line 6 claim they did nothing to the Drive selection with this update but the Tube Driver model sound just killer now since the update. The harmonizer tracks perfectly and I can now get a solo boost by using the new EQ's. Simply brilliant, can't wait to gig with this thing in a couple of weeks time :dude :goodjob :happy :applause

Spudman
October 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Everything on the unit sounds better eh? I noticed that right away. All the new pedals they gave us were way above the call of duty. They just turned this from an okay multi to a must have. Brilliant!

sumitomo
October 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I had to pull the trigger on this one,makes to much sense,alot of boxes in one pedal for the price of a couple of good ones with a 2 yr warranty and the way you guys are going on about those updates couldn't resist.Now where is that UPS driver at?Sumi:D

Monkus
October 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Did you get the M13 or M9 Sumi ??? What prompted the decision?

:crazyguy

sumitomo
October 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I went for the M13,I really dont know much about either but the way Spud was almost pissing his pant's over the sounds on the updates,I thought why not go for the gusto,got 20% off and two years warranty,can't beet that.Sumi:D

Spudman
October 11th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Congrats Sumi. I nearly wet myself tonight at the gig when I turned on the bias tremolo. Sweet! There are so many good sounds that it's making it easy to be more creative. Our bass player was tickled too because of the new sounds I'm bringing to their old tunes.

Don't be impatient with the unit. Keep tweaking and you'll be greatly rewarded. Still I think the M13 really holds up with a band the best. The sounds really come through.

sumitomo
October 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM
See what I mean,When one of the accomplished players around here (not me) like Spud or some of the other guys gets all worked up about a amph or some pedals ect. I think it demands looking into.So yea I cant wait.Sumi:D

Lev
October 12th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Half of me wants to tell the world how great this unit is and half of me wants to keep it secret so that I can have a better tone than everyone else.

deeaa
October 12th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I'd be very interested in the M9 version, the 13 is way too much for me...I don't use much time/mod FX, well none usually, but it'd be nice to have several different OD settings.

Trouble is I don't much like the OD examples I can find of the unit. The Colordrive seems like it can give a nice very heavy sound but the screamers etc. seem a tad lacking and/or buzzy...I really would need to test the unit properly to see how it'd work with my rig.

sumitomo
October 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM
On it's way today,hope the manual is a short one,I just like to plug and play.Sumi:D

sumitomo
October 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Well the manual is a short one and it says it's bonehead simple(I'm not at bonehead level yet)but man are there alot of different sounds in this thing and I haven't tried nearly any of them.I'll play with it for awhile before I even think about updating it.Sumi:D

Spudman
October 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Update it right away. You'll be glad you did. Then download the advanced users guide from the Line 6 web site.
http://line6.com/support/manuals/?families=12&submit=Submit&1st=1st

Seriously, do the update. It's amazing.

Monkus
October 16th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Dayum, Sumi got his.... :french

Mine should be in my grimy hands by next Tuesday .... :happy

Post settings!

Lev
October 17th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Update it right away. You'll be glad you did. Then download the advanced users guide from the Line 6 web site.
http://line6.com/support/manuals/?families=12&submit=Submit&1st=1st

Seriously, do the update. It's amazing.

+1 the update makes everything sound better.

sumitomo
October 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I have to find a midi/usb cable,but I played with this sucker alot last night into my little Supro(this is a old supro 1 6v6)it sounded good on it's own,better with buckers than singles and a pedal would wake it up,I used the Rodent into it,but this thing is great,what full sounds I can get and then playing with some of that other stuff sounded like the Martians were landing.I should have bought one of these a long time ago.The thing I dig most is it's in ONE package.Sumi:D P.S. I may not be around for a few days cause I'll be playing!

Spudman
October 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Just wait until you get to know it better and have more sounds dialed as you like them. The 2.0 update is going to blow your mind. Like Lev says everything sounds much better and they gave us at least a $1,000 worth of new pedals in the update. So cool!

In 2.0 the levels are more consistent and the sounds are higher quality sounding compared to prior releases. I don't know what they did but I really like it.

Blaze
October 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Just wait until you get to know it better and have more sounds dialed as you like them. The 2.0 update is going to blow your mind. Like Lev says everything sounds much better and they gave us at least a $1,000 worth of new pedals in the update. So cool!

In 2.0 the levels are more consistent and the sounds are higher quality sounding compared to prior releases. I don't know what they did but I really like it.

After reading all these positive comments a short clip of your favorite presets could be cool ..

Spudman
October 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
After reading all these positive comments a short clip of your favorite presets could be cool ..
There are a couple of guys on You Tube who have done a real good job of doing clips you should check out Stilwel and Dognmoon's videos. I no longer have any original presets. I have built all my own patches.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dognmoon
http://www.youtube.com/user/stilwel

Robert
October 18th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I am officially interested. So how does the M9 and M13 differ from the POD XT etc units? Don't they have all the stompbox models too? I know they have amp modeling, but I assume you can turn that stuff off and use the POD units as a pedal board as well, no?

I assume you need an expression pedal for the wah models then?

The M9 doesn't have the fx loop built in, is that and the size the only difference between the M9 and the M13?

Spudman
October 18th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Just get the M13 and don't worry about anything but a control pedal. Some people like the Ernie Ball 25K volume pedal because the throw isn't too far off from a regular wah pedal. Otherwise you might be able to score a Line 6 control pedal when you buy and M unit but has a longer throw.

You are right that the M9 doesn't have a loop which makes it less versatile than the M13. You'll also enjoy the extra screens on the 13 over the 9. For slightly more at suggested retail the M13 is the ticket. At street price you can get an M13 for the price of a new M9. So the 13 is the smarter way to go. Just don't expect the drives to be exactly like anything you are familiar with and you'll be fine. Accept them for what they are and just go with it.

The POD models do not have the same quality of sounds. None of the POD units do. The XT Live doesn't have all the sounds the M units do and the effect quality is not the same. The big question from the XTL users is 'when can we get an update that sounds and reacts like the M13 update?' So far it doesn't look like it will happen. The processor is different is my guess. The M units don't have any amph modeling in them either. It's just effects. Many guys are ditching their XT Lives and going with the M13 and are reporting back that they are quite happy.

I've never had any piece of gear curb my g.a.s. the way the M13 has.

Lev
October 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
The 13 allows 4 simultaneous effects whereas the 9 only allows 3. That's a big deal coz I'm actually finding just 4 somewhat limitting. With my regular effects I rarely had more than 2 pedals on at one time but the possibilities with the M units are so vast you'll want to run lots of sounds together.

Lev
October 19th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I love the Tube Drive effect, this guy demo's it far better than I could.

nerweMcrVoQ

deeaa
October 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I love the Tube Drive effect, this guy demo's it far better than I could.

nerweMcrVoQ

Yeah that was a pretty nice lead sound, except there was waaaayyyyy too much FX in it for my taste.

richrenken
October 19th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Hey guys, Spudman invited me over here to your forum. I am here if you have any questions. No matter how strange. About M13 or M9.

deeaa
October 19th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Hey guys, Spudman invited me over here to your forum. I am here if you have any questions. No matter how strange. About M13 or M9.

Hey, that's super cool!

Since you're here, a dumb question I guess would be easy to find from the Line6 pages...but, can you put like the same OD effect in every slot, with just slight variation between each? Or do you need to use different FX for each 'line' of effects?

Or to paraphrase, how many variations of the same effect can there be in one 'set'? Can I use the M9 with the same compressor in each set and the same od and EQ in every set?

Because I only use a comp and an OD and use my guitar volume and a pan pedal to mix about six variations of the effects...it'd be cool if I could have those six variations under direct buttons instead. But I don't need or use any time-based FX etc...just variations of a single OD and comp.

Spudman
October 19th, 2009, 07:35 AM
You can have 12 of ANY effect per scene. Want 12 distortions, or delays, or chorus? No problem. Make them anything you want. That's another cool thing about the M13.

richrenken
October 19th, 2009, 08:07 AM
You can have 12 of ANY effect per scene. Want 12 distortions, or delays, or chorus? No problem. Make them anything you want. That's another cool thing about the M13.

What he said. You can put 12 tube drives in a scene if you want. So yes, you can do your few variations.

sumitomo
October 19th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hi rich nice to have you aboard.I have a question.I just got a m13 and need to update it,What kind of cable do I need to get and those instructions in the advanced guide just make me even more confused(I'm not at the bonehead level yet).I would like to make a suggestion,you guys should sell the units with a necessary cable to update,I'll tell ya people would say WOW it even comes with the cable to update cool.Thats good marketing.I am really liking the unit though.Sumi:D:AOK

Monkus
October 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM
So COOL that Rich is here. I know he's been super helpful over at TGP. The truck is on its way, so I get the M9 and the M-audio Uno today. Thats the cable I bought to update the M9, although I've read that any cheapie midi to USB will do.

:happy

richrenken
October 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Hi rich nice to have you aboard.I have a question.I just got a m13 and need to update it,What kind of cable do I need to get and those instructions in the advanced guide just make me even more confused(I'm not at the bonehead level yet).I would like to make a suggestion,you guys should sell the units with a necessary cable to update,I'll tell ya people would say WOW it even comes with the cable to update cool.Thats good marketing.I am really liking the unit though.Sumi:D:AOK

Not everyone wants to update. I would say most people will buy it and just use it as is and have a blast, so we wouldn't charge $524 for all of them and make everyone pay for the extra cable. Plus there is one on amazon.com that sells for 8 bucks. Just google USB to Midi cable and get a deal. We officially recommend the M-Audio midi sport uno. But guys have much success with others. As far as instructions, I would go here... http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-1395.

The majority of guys update with no problem but there are are time when it is a struggle. But there is a lot of good info on the web on how to fix it if you need it.

richrenken
October 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM
So COOL that Rich is here. I know he's been super helpful over at TGP. The truck is on its way, so I get the M9 and the M-audio Uno today. Thats the cable I bought to update the M9, although I've read that any cheapie midi to USB will do.

And what is awesome for you is the fact that you get to use Monkey to update. It works awesome. I hope we have that for M13 soon. It is in the queue for the next Monkey update.

sumitomo
October 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the quick reply,but I would still rethink that cable think,thats like a guy buying a sports car and not wanting to make it faster even though there are bolt on upgrades and yours is free,just my thoughts.Sumi:D

Monkus
October 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
M9 is here, but no Uno so the update will have to wait till later on in the week. Will plug it in when I get home... :happy

Spudman
October 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
M9 is here, but no Uno so the update will have to wait till later on in the week. Will plug it in when I get home... :happy

Can vous wait that long????? :french

sumitomo
October 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I have some dumb questions,do I have to do the 1.7,then the 2.0 and now there is a 2.01,also am I reading right the midi in goes into the m13 out,and m13 in goes into the midi out,cause that confuses the heck outta me? Sumi:D

Monkus
October 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
just lost 3 hours just trying out the presets on the M9, and I haven't updated yet! This thing is AWESOME!!!! Even Lady Monkus is impressed...:what

Lev
October 20th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I have some dumb questions,do I have to do the 1.7,then the 2.0 and now there is a 2.01,also am I reading right the midi in goes into the m13 out,and m13 in goes into the midi out,cause that confuses the heck outta me? Sumi:D

the lastest release on the line6 website contains all previous updates so you only need to do one. Yeah, I had cables in the worng way too but when it wouldn't work I reveresed them and started again. Can't remember now which way is correct, the line6 community forum is full of advice on how to do the upgrade. There might be a little trial and error but it does work, just give yourself about an hour and follow the instructions 'to the letter'.

sumitomo
October 20th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I wasn't having any sucess,so I followed instructions until the loading,them went through the menus and picked the one I felt might work,Now I'm a bonehead!!!! Sumi:D

Spudman
October 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM
The 2.1 update is for the M9. There is no gain putting that version into the M13. Stick with 2.0 when updating the M13.

sumitomo
October 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Oh crap now you tell me,well I'm still not a bonehead yet!!! Sumi:D

richrenken
October 20th, 2009, 10:14 AM
The 2.1 update is for the M9. There is no gain putting that version into the M13. Stick with 2.0 when updating the M13.

2.01 fixes relative mode if you run your pedals from right to left. Relative mode rules so the update is worth it on M13 as well.

Spudman
October 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM
2.01 fixes relative mode if you run your pedals from right to left. Relative mode rules so the update is worth it on M13 as well.

Now I remember. I read what the updated did on another thread and realized that it didn't apply to me since I run left to right. Thanks for correcting me.

sumitomo
October 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Oh crap!Well practice makes perfect.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
October 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Welcome Rich! Thanks for joining us! I am a Toneport UX2 user and may well get one of these units sometime in the next year or so. I appreciate you dropping in to join out discussion. Spud sure loves his!

Spudman
October 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Chesbro Music in Idaho Falls Idaho is blowing out most of their Line 6 products and Spider Valve amps. Call toll free at 1-800-CHESBRO and ask for Doug for prices. From what he mentioned to me the prices are very good. The M13 is $399 along with serious reductions on all Line 6 products in stock.

sumitomo
October 20th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Oh my! this is awesome!every thing is clearer,more separate,and this EQ's are great now to figure out these wah's.Sumi:D

Spudman
October 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Oh my! this is awesome!every thing is clearer,more separate,and this EQ's are great now to figure out these wah's.Sumi:D
Ain't it cool! You're going to have so much fun finding your sound. It's simple and fun...unlike every processor I've had in the past.

Look for a Big Kahuna with an M unit to be chiming into our thread very soon. Maybe early next month.:gossip

guitartango
October 21st, 2009, 06:03 AM
It might be a great unit, but i wouldn't sell all my pedals to buy one. Imagine being on stage and it dies on you, then what? The trouble with these kind of units is that next year they bring out another model with better efffects and you end up selling it so you can have the next lot of effects which you never really use.

Im sticking to my Boss pedals, not let me down so far.

Monkus
October 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM
updated my M9 last night... WOW !!! its like having another board....for free !!!! Before I knew it it was 2.30 am and well.... decided to get some zzzz's.

:applause to Line 6! :goodjob

now where is that "talent" drive ??? :notme

Spudman
October 21st, 2009, 08:17 AM
It might be a great unit, but i wouldn't sell all my pedals to buy one. Imagine being on stage and it dies on you, then what? The trouble with these kind of units is that next year they bring out another model with better efffects and you end up selling it so you can have the next lot of effects which you never really use.

If the unit dies your signal continues because it's true bypass. Also, it won't become obsolete any more than your analog pedals will. In fact you can't improve the sounds of any of your pedals without soldering. This just takes a software update and not only do the sounds get improved but on the last update we probably got $2,000 worth of free pedals.

What happens when your analog pedals die on stage?

sumitomo
October 21st, 2009, 08:28 AM

Your right,it's ok and all that but pedals are the way to go we should just delete this thread and talk about something else.(now I know what Lev was talking about) Sumi:D :bootyshake :AOK

deeaa
October 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
If the unit dies your signal continues because it's true bypass. Also, it won't become obsolete any more than your analog pedals will. In fact you can't improve the sounds of any of your pedals without soldering. This just takes a software update and not only do the sounds get improved but on the last update we probably got $2,000 worth of free pedals.

A dilemma as old as FX units.

As a rule, I try to keep things simple. I've had a multiFX unit die on me on a gig, with a single fault robbing me of every effect and setting I had. I've had MIDI gear have a battery fart or something and revert to factory settings 20 minutes fore gig. I've witnessed a major band delay their concert because the guitarist's multifx-amp 'crashed'. With analog pedals, you only lose one pedal, not the whole chain.

But then again, I've had a simple channel switcher die twice on a gig. Once a blown tube. I saw Danko Jones live and his simple Hiwatt head just up and died in the middle of the gig. I've had someone pour beer all over our mixer and end the whole gig with that.

Be it an analog pedal or a multifx unit, I'd bring a spare. Well for these it'd be a bit steep to have one just for backup :-> Anyway, there's always a possibility of failure and it's just a matter of the degree of failure and what do you decide you can cope with and/or be ready to deal with.

So, either way there are things to consider about any piece of gear. If I used the M9 or 13 I'd probably haul an old OD pedal for me anyway. I used to carry a Tech-21 Tri-AC pedal along with my amp for years, so that if my tube rig died, I could go D/I.

But my feeling on multi-units in general...well to start with, IMO it's no use saying '2k worth of free pedals'...2k worth of scrap metal on my yard would be worth 2k but quite unnecessary and unwanted. If I ever get me one of these, it'll be used as an OD nevermind if it baked my bread & mixed me martinis or whatever on the side; and for that it is kinda expensive. And I seriously doubt it'll beat my current OD in sound quality too. But I'd sure like to try it; always on the lookout for good sound stuff and good sounds.

I guess the bottom line for me is...multiFX units and FX in general are best for hobbyists, home recording guys, top-40 bands and those who want to mimic a certain sound, or just plain tweak their tones ad nauseam and forever. Is there any guitarist really famous for using such and such FX or gizmos? No. Maybe The Edge comes close but I do believe he mostly uses analog pedals and studio FX anyway.

If some guitarist is famous for his sounds - nevermind what he endorses or shows off on stage - he's probably done it in the studio with a very specific mix of old skool amps, great guitars, simple gear. Like Nirvana always boasted using Fender Jaguars and PA amps with OD pedals - what did he use in the studio? Yep the producer's vintage Les Paul and a Mesa/Boogie amp.

Using multiFX units to create your own unique sound is like painting by numbers; it's always going to be limited by what the designers set as parameter limits and basic tonal ranges. You can't solder a new op-amp in or try totally insane settings which send some internal component into haywire mode and produce a completely new sound - it's all digital, and even if it sounded better than anything else anywhere, ever, it's still a faximile of the real thing because of the way it was built and designed.

Don't get me wrong; I have plenty of multiFX units under my belt and have used them to great results in my home studio, POD XT, Boss-GT6, Boss Me-50, Behringer crappolas to name a few.

They are great for many uses...even for live...but...still not the real thing.

guitartango
October 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM

All my six pedals die at once, unlikely even if they were running on mains as i would use batteries.

richrenken
October 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM

I understand what you are saying. But......

1. The M13 has, for instance, the DL4 models in it. The DL4 just celebrated its 10th year anniversary and is still the number one selling delay pedal. So next year we will not be coming out with a new model with a better DL4 in it. It is an industry standard.

2. What we did this year (a year after M13 came out) is GIVE away a free update with 20 new models and a bunch of cool features.

Now, as far as sticking to your Boss pedals, Boss pedals are killer. You can't go wrong.

:)

richrenken
October 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM
I guess the bottom line for me is...multiFX units and FX in general are best for hobbyists, home recording guys, top-40 bands and those who want to mimic a certain sound, or just plain tweak their tones ad nauseam and forever. Is there any guitarist really famous for using such and such FX or gizmos? No. Maybe The Edge comes close but I do believe he mostly uses analog pedals and studio FX anyway.

Well, first of all in the edge's main rig he runs a DM Pro. That is the DM4 rack mount version we did just for him and he runs a POD 2.0. He uses on his small board a DM4 and DL4. Plus he has many digital effects in his rack. He uses everything. I know what you are saying here but it is not true.

Here is a list of pro guys using the M13/M9 that I can think of off the top of my head. Live and in the studio.

Jeff Schroeder - Smashing Pumpkins
Billy Corgan - Pumpkins
Lisa Harriton - Pumpkins
Kris Pooley - Pumpkins
Lee Ritenour
Glen Pearce - Micheal W. Smith
Chris Rodriguez - Keith Urban
Justin Meldal Johnsen - NIN Beck
Ronda Smith - Prince
Renato Neto - Prince
Minus the Bear
Steve Pedulla - Thursday
Johnny Marr
Shim - Sick Puppies
John Jorgenson
Matt Scannell - Vertical Horizon
Bobby Harty - David Ruis, Brenton Brown
Dave Jerden/Bryan Carlstrom - Producers-Alice in Chains, Offspring, Stabbing Westward, etc.
John Shanks - Producer
Both Amir and Ryan from Chester Bennington of Linkin Park's Dead by Sunrise, Julien-K, Orgy.

There are many more I just can't think of.
So there are a few that use them.

This is not to say that you should not drop everything and go get an M. What you are doing is working for you and that is awesome, just don't look down on guys who want to use one as if they are compromising or just not smart enough or rich enough to use a pedalboard or whatnot. :)

Robert
October 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Oz Noy is also using the M13 nowadays, isn't that so?

deeaa
October 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Well, first of all in the edge's main rig he runs a DM Pro. That is the DM4 rack mount version we did just for him and he runs a POD 2.0. He uses on his small board a DM4 and DL4. Plus he has many digital effects in his rack. He uses everything. I know what you are saying here but it is not true.

Well then it's exactly as I said - he uses studio (rack) gear and lots of it too?

I'm not saying DL4 etc. aren't great delays and industry standard these days.

The issue was never about Line6 stuff not being good - quite contrary. I use it and like it myself.

The issue is, would you rather have, say a Dl4 and a boss Od and a Line6 Od pedal on your board and create your own unique mix of them, or would you rather just use a single unit for everything, which IMO significantly reduces changes to get unique sounds or your own sounds, and indeed sort of also 'puts your eggs in a single basket'. No matter what brand multiFX unit it is.

What comes to the list of artists...well many of these guys are hardly known for their signature guitar sounds anyhow, but that's beside the point too. The issue is, again, if Lee Ritenour uses, say a POD, would he be using it direct-to board and solely, OR would he still also run thru his Vibroluxes and Mesa/Boogies as well to get his signature sounds?

That is the point I wanted to make. The problem therein is, perhaps many aspiring musicians can't afford that tube amp and some selected pedals and the M series as well, they have to make selections to which they wager their money on. And if I had to choose between having a good tube amp and a nice OD pedal or the M series to be played D/I as my only rig, I'd get the simple amp first. I'm pretty sure Mr. Ritenour would also keep a mesa or something if faced with having to choose just one piece of gear.

But by no means I look down on the gear itself; I've no doubt its great and all that, but it's just that multiFX units usually, for us regular folk, not just another toy that adds to sounds we use, but a choice of either using it 100% and sell all else to pay for it, or not.

Blaze
October 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hey Rick..

I d like to hear or see a recent and complete demo of the upgraded M13 or M9..

guitartango
October 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM
Guys

I never wanted this to be a flame war or say line6 stuff is c*** far from it. I too have a toneport, V-amp2 and a zoom multi-fx pedal, all OK but lacking something (maybe they all sound toooo digital). But don't go selling all your pedals for something which will be outdated in a years time. A friend of mine has been playing for 20 years and still uses the same four pedals, OD,Wah,Compressor and a delay, do you need anything else to get great tone?

guitar products seem to be going the same way as Tv's, computers i.e buy it this year and throw it out next year as next years product will be the "next best thing".

Spudman
October 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Guys

I never wanted this to be a flame war or say line6 stuff is c*** far from it. I too have a toneport, V-amp2 and a zoom multi-fx pedal, all OK but lacking something (maybe they all sound toooo digital). But don't go selling all your pedals for something which will be outdated in a years time. A friend of mine has been playing for 20 years and still uses the same four pedals, OD,Wah,Compressor and a delay, do you need anything else to get great tone?

guitar products seem to be going the same way as Tv's, computers i.e buy it this year and throw it out next year as next years product will be the "next best thing".

What makes you think this will be outdated? It's a pedal board.

sumitomo
October 21st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Oh come on guitartango you know we like to shuck and jive around here.I'm not gunna get rid of my pedals either.I can see myself playing other styles of music now,cause I am really liking the tones! Got my first gig,I was playing around with the looper and synths and my daughter came in and wants this errie loop thing I did at her Halloween party.Just more colors on the pallett.Sumi:D

deeaa
October 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM
What makes you think this will be outdated? It's a pedal board.

So you think it's gonna stay like it is for the next 20 or so years? Hmm.

IS the M series a collection of programmable stomp boxes or is it a modeler?
If it's a modeler, what is the difference between it and, say a POD or a GT-10 or some Zoom for instance? Isn't the only difference the approach to how you arrange and get to the effects - a big difference, yeah, but could you not replicate its functions also using like one or two PODs and a large MIDI controller? It's a very nice thought but I really doubt this thing will be getting better and better with free updates till the end of time, or that there won't be a significantly better version of the thing released in a year or a few, just like with any POD etc.

Anyway the main issue is: I've yet to hear a digital ANYTHING that sounds as good as analog. All I need to do is plug in a digital-based pedal between my amp and OD pedal and my sound goes from great to mediocre. I've tried every digital reverb unit I have been able and none have sounded even as good as the amp without any verb. What I'd need is a real tube driven spring reverb, but they are too expensive. But all these Digiverbs and revboosts and whatnot seem to be a simple way to ruin the sound for me.

That's not to say I don't love digital D/I stuff, I do significantly more recording using digital D/I gadgets such as pods etc. and they are GREAT for that, but this thing is supposed to be used with your 'live' rig and the question is whether it will be a.) up to scratch sonically compared with cheap yet proven analog stuff that sounds great b.) is it worth the money to have umpteen sounds you may or may not need really.

Now please don't get me wrong. I'm not simply dissing the thing. If I could get one cheap or endorsement (we actually talked much about trying to get some sort of endorsement/special support from line 6 after we hit our first two million listens on our songs at soundclick as we all save one guy used Line6 gear but I suppose we never did, and I guess it'd have been in vain anyway ) , I'd use one with pleasure and I'm sure I could get some incredibly good sounds from it. Same as with any quality gear, I have never used a piece of gear like that I couldn't have used for a lot of things, as a rule modern gadgets really are very good. POD XT for instance - GREAT tool.

BUT I've also spent over 20 years perfecting what I want, going through a dozen guitars and pickups to find what I like (EMG 85+SA) and lots of amps EL84 based p-t-p amp) and signal chains (near-direct to tube, just an OD in between) and even string sets and all-custom built guitars, low-wattage vintage (1976) speakers, and for that rig, I am extra super critical about stuff I can add - or remove. Basically

I have tried my POD before my amp, as well as a PSA.1 and whatnot, and nothing really seems to work like a direct or almost direct line from the mics to the amp. That's where I'm leery.

But I'd like to try this. I have an open mind. But even more so I'd love to test the latest POD and/or say the AxeFX thing because for D/I and recording those are so good. I just wonder how good can a digital programmable unit sound with a fully analog tube rig.

Lev
October 22nd, 2009, 02:55 AM
In my previous experience with multifx units I've always found one or two useable tones, dozens of mediocre tones and quite a few god awful fizzy 'digital' sounding crap.

With the M13 I've found dozens of useable tones and some truely outstanding FX. Now maybe my ears aren't tuned into the subtle nuances in tone between digital analog etc. but I know the tone I want in my head and this thing delivers for me (using a Am Dlx Strat into a Tube HRDlx amp).

I also have never used 90% of the original modelled stomp boxes on here and frankly I can't tell if they sound anything like the original and to be honest I don't care. I use this unit to create a tone that works for me and this unit gives me a pallet of tones that I've never got from any other unit (digital or otherwise).

I never gig without a backup guitar, or amp so I'm sure I'll continue to throw an OD pedal and a delay in my gig bag just in case. I've no concerns about reliability of the M13 but if you're being paid to play a gig you need to be professional enough to bring backup gear.

richrenken
October 23rd, 2009, 12:19 AM
Oz Noy is also using the M13 nowadays, isn't that so?

Ok, this is now officially my favorite forum. You guys know about and post about Oz. He is a killer player. Yes, he uses M13. He has been messing with the M9. He has been using DL4s for years. Just saw him play at the Catalina bar and grill a couple weeks ago, amazing. :)

richrenken
October 23rd, 2009, 12:26 AM
Well then it's exactly as I said - he uses studio (rack) gear and lots of it too?

I'm not saying DL4 etc. aren't great delays and industry standard these days.

The issue was never about Line6 stuff not being good - quite contrary. I use it and like it myself.

The issue is, would you rather have, say a Dl4 and a boss Od and a Line6 Od pedal on your board and create your own unique mix of them, or would you rather just use a single unit for everything, which IMO significantly reduces changes to get unique sounds or your own sounds, and indeed sort of also 'puts your eggs in a single basket'. No matter what brand multiFX unit it is.

What comes to the list of artists...well many of these guys are hardly known for their signature guitar sounds anyhow, but that's beside the point too. The issue is, again, if Lee Ritenour uses, say a POD, would he be using it direct-to board and solely, OR would he still also run thru his Vibroluxes and Mesa/Boogies as well to get his signature sounds?

That is the point I wanted to make. The problem therein is, perhaps many aspiring musicians can't afford that tube amp and some selected pedals and the M series as well, they have to make selections to which they wager their money on. And if I had to choose between having a good tube amp and a nice OD pedal or the M series to be played D/I as my only rig, I'd get the simple amp first. I'm pretty sure Mr. Ritenour would also keep a mesa or something if faced with having to choose just one piece of gear.

But by no means I look down on the gear itself; I've no doubt its great and all that, but it's just that multiFX units usually, for us regular folk, not just another toy that adds to sounds we use, but a choice of either using it 100% and sell all else to pay for it, or not.

Very well said. I am totally tracking with you now.

The one thing I would say about the M13/M9 though is that with 109 effects, that is a virtually endless number of combinations to create new crazy sounds. :)

Check out this YouTube for fun.
http://www.youtube.com/user/crxshdxmmy#p/u/0/XxjRGIPv8Ds

richrenken
October 23rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
Hey Rick..

I d like to hear or see a recent and complete demo of the upgraded M13 or M9..

There are a lot of great videos of users using them on YouTube. We have a basic video on our website for the M9.

richrenken
October 23rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
Guys

I personally felt no flaming from you at all. I totally understand what you are saying. I was just saying that not all digital gear is here today gone next year. DL4 and all the 4 button stomps have been around 10 years. The Echo Park, Verbzilla and some of the ToneCores have become go to pedals even after 5 years. Then outside us, look at studios that troll ebay looking for old Roland and Yamaha rack mounted delays and reverbs that were digital. I think it is per piece. So with the M13/M9, you have our tried and tested and mass used effects in one box. 109 of them. You will have fun for years to come. In fact go to TGP and read Vol 3 of the M13 thread and the honeymoon is far from over after a year and a couple months, in fact the excitement and love are nothing but ramped up. :)

All that said, it doesn't take anything away from the guy rockin 4 killer pedals. Total blast. Or the guy that plugs his tele into a twin using a coil cord and that is it. :)

richrenken
October 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
So you think it's gonna stay like it is for the next 20 or so years? Hmm.

IS the M series a collection of programmable stomp boxes or is it a modeler?
If it's a modeler, what is the difference between it and, say a POD or a GT-10 or some Zoom for instance? Isn't the only difference the approach to how you arrange and get to the effects - a big difference, yeah, but could you not replicate its functions also using like one or two PODs and a large MIDI controller? It's a very nice thought but I really doubt this thing will be getting better and better with free updates till the end of time, or that there won't be a significantly better version of the thing released in a year or a few, just like with any POD etc.

Anyway the main issue is: I've yet to hear a digital ANYTHING that sounds as good as analog. All I need to do is plug in a digital-based pedal between my amp and OD pedal and my sound goes from great to mediocre. I've tried every digital reverb unit I have been able and none have sounded even as good as the amp without any verb. What I'd need is a real tube driven spring reverb, but they are too expensive. But all these Digiverbs and revboosts and whatnot seem to be a simple way to ruin the sound for me.

That's not to say I don't love digital D/I stuff, I do significantly more recording using digital D/I gadgets such as pods etc. and they are GREAT for that, but this thing is supposed to be used with your 'live' rig and the question is whether it will be a.) up to scratch sonically compared with cheap yet proven analog stuff that sounds great b.) is it worth the money to have umpteen sounds you may or may not need really.

Now please don't get me wrong. I'm not simply dissing the thing. If I could get one cheap or endorsement (we actually talked much about trying to get some sort of endorsement/special support from line 6 after we hit our first two million listens on our songs at soundclick as we all save one guy used Line6 gear but I suppose we never did, and I guess it'd have been in vain anyway ) , I'd use one with pleasure and I'm sure I could get some incredibly good sounds from it. Same as with any quality gear, I have never used a piece of gear like that I couldn't have used for a lot of things, as a rule modern gadgets really are very good. POD XT for instance - GREAT tool.

BUT I've also spent over 20 years perfecting what I want, going through a dozen guitars and pickups to find what I like (EMG 85+SA) and lots of amps EL84 based p-t-p amp) and signal chains (near-direct to tube, just an OD in between) and even string sets and all-custom built guitars, low-wattage vintage (1976) speakers, and for that rig, I am extra super critical about stuff I can add - or remove. Basically

I have tried my POD before my amp, as well as a PSA.1 and whatnot, and nothing really seems to work like a direct or almost direct line from the mics to the amp. That's where I'm leery.

But I'd like to try this. I have an open mind. But even more so I'd love to test the latest POD and/or say the AxeFX thing because for D/I and recording those are so good. I just wonder how good can a digital programmable unit sound with a fully analog tube rig.

I don't seem to be saying it clear enough. :) Our DL4 delay modeler has been around unchanged for 10 years. So yes, it will still be around in 10 more. Even if we can no longer get the parts, it will be on pedalboards for many years to come.

But, I know what you are saying. I love analog recording and when I compare listening to a CD vs the Record on a great stereo, the difference is dramatic.

Now, to rib you back just a bit. I built guitars with James Tyler for 8 years and was at Fernandes Guitars for 10 years. I have worked in the industry for 22 years. Well, I don't like EMG pickups. I think they are a pickup that has one sound, no matter what you do to them they have the same tonality. Jim would refuse selling a guy a guitar if he wanted EMGs. He may have put them in once or twice, but we definitely sent guys packing if they wanted EMGs. But does that mean I am right or wrong? No way. They are all tools. Lukather rocks them. Many guys love them.

So all that said, I think we are saying the same thing. I am just saying, be careful to not just throw the baby out with the bath water. You know why?

I have a bass I built 20 years ago coming back to me. Alder body, rosewood neck and EMG pickups. I played it a couple weeks ago and wanted it back. For me it is one sound, but it is one cool sound. :) For me. If I wrote EMGs off, the bass wouldn't be coming to make music with me.

deeaa
October 23rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
Yeah, I hear what you say about EMG's...I used to dislike them myself for quite a long while. Then I was having this big problem with home recording and got me some EMG's just to battle interference, and it worked very well. Those were EMG S singlecoils. I tried the guitar with my live rig and found I liked them better than anything else I had.

The trouble with EMG's IMO is that they are so damned powerful, they usually bring any SS gear input to way too much drive and buzz. And I guess that's what many people usually equate with EMG guitar sound - EMG81's with insane amounts of gain, that's what they're most used for.

I don't like ultra high-gain stuff nor do I like 81's which I find are rather cold and sharp sounding. I much prefer 85's for they have much more low end register too. But I also hardly ever use just a bridge pickup, instead I play with both bridge and neck pickup on 95% of the time. That gives a very wide tonal spectrum and also yields a great responsiveness to playing force, you can go from almost clean to overdrive just by playing harder. With passive pickups the same would be too messy for chording etc. but that's the best part of EMG's, they retain clarity in any situation well. And for my playing style that's important, I tend to play full chords and such most of the time.

One thing I usually do with my EMG's is also whenever I play into a digital or SS system, I keep the guitar volumes at about 50%, because full power makes the sound bad.

But EMG's, for me S, SA and 85's - work wonders when they get to drive a tube amp input stage pretty much directly. I mentioned this somewhere already - I get the best sound with the EMG's directly to the amp input, but anything digital in between, even one chip or buffer stage, and the sound is utter crap.

Yeah, EMG's work with tubes, but not so well with digital/ss. However the latter can be corrected to a large extent by never using full guitar volume.

deeaa
October 23rd, 2009, 03:16 AM
BTW I just recently demoed quickly and with crap playing how much I like how EMG's give a great clarity and tonal range also by playing style changes, even with an SS high-gain rig like my Tech-21 TM10 'bedroom amp' with no FX at all. Funny enough, though, on this clip the amp is actually set to clean british, but the EMG's still make it sound pretty high gain, unless you play it very very softly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDk8CXW3oSk

And here's my first EMG guitar...with this I fell in love with how you can have them very dirty and screaming and still you can just throw in some full 6-string chords and it keeps the clarity without effort. With passives the same is very hard to achieve; at the stage when single-string stuff is screaming, full chords get way too boomy.

But I dunno...when I go thru my recordings all the way back to late 80's one thing sticks out to me: my guitar sound has pretty much since the early 90's been quite the same, no matter what rig I've used. And I've used a LOT of different rigs from Les Pauls to Telecasters and Fender amps to Marshalls and whatnot, original, seymour, gotoh, whatever pickups, openbacks, closedbacks, sometimes with pedals, sometimes without, D/I, live, modelers and nonmodelers. They all sound fundamentally just the same on recording after I've tweaked the rig to get my own sound....live I can hear plenty of differences but on recording...really no matter what I use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9RNM0qb_Y

EMG's are an acquired taste I guess...now and then I play some passive guitars and yeah, in some respects they sound softer and maybe a little more lively too, but then I try to play some songs and instantly get annoyed by the lack of clarity in comparison with actives.

I've been thinking I should probaly also give a shot at those Seymour Blackouts.

deeaa
October 23rd, 2009, 03:57 AM
Here's a good example of some of my rigs testing...playing my EMG guitar into a real vintage JMP combo (2203 I think) and a 99% solid-state JMP-1 rig as well.

Basically the sound is very very much the same, much more the same when listened to live but of course the 10" speakers and the SS power stage and closed cab make the modern JMP sound somewhat boxier.

Still, it also shows how much different an EMG pickup can sound into a tube amp and an SS rig. Or similar, whichever way you want to look at it :-)

Anyway, this is where them EMG's rock...the 2203 Marshall has no overdrive or anything, it don't need it, even if it's a basically clean amp, plug in an EMG guitar directly and it screams and wails ;-)

I should have put some digital reverb in between too and show how that ruins the sound completely...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD7bCGY7b0g

Spudman
October 23rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
The trouble with EMG's IMO is that they are so damned powerful, they usually bring any SS gear input to way too much drive and buzz. And I guess that's what many people usually equate with EMG guitar sound - EMG81's with insane amounts of gain, that's what they're most used for.

I have found the SAs in my Luke to be just the opposite. Compared to all but one set of my passive single coils on my Strats they are much lower in output. That is one reason that I like to play the Luke because I get to turn the amp up more - then it really starts cooking. They aren't hot pickups at all.

Listen to the blues sounds of Tyler Dow Bryant playing the Luke for blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKnVYzqsqjQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhG6zrZVOWw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkJP0vOphCc

deeaa
October 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Oh yeah, SA's aren't hot. I meant the 81 etc, I guess most people think those when they think EMG. 85's are plenty hot, though.

I don't really know what is the output level...or is it something else in the sound, but if I plug into say a Tech-21 with an all-SS input stage, it's instant high-gain stuff, even with the amp on clean. It certainly doesn't do that with a strong Seymour equipped axe. But then on my tube amp the both sound roughly the same volume, with the passives even having more bag end. Go figure. But anyway, they sound great with half volume :-)

Blaze
October 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
This kid Tyler Bryant is pretty good ,he Shure has the spirit & feel, on a Fender Strat here..

AFUzyWUnrpU&feature

Lev
October 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Starting to go a touch off topic here?

guitartango
October 23rd, 2009, 01:14 PM

Yep lets get back to ribbing Line6
:what

Spudman
October 23rd, 2009, 03:06 PM

Oh heavens! That almost never happens. :what

I can't imagine how we made it over 120 posts without drifting any further than we did.:pancake

sumitomo
October 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Yep lets get back to ribbing Line6
:what
Good one I like it!:applause and Robin Williams would reply,'If you want ribs get some barbeque.'

Hey Spud,Lev or Monkus have you found some setups for rockin' blues stuff you like.I have just been trying different setups for know to find some I like before I make some scenes.One I like is colordrive,63 verb,digital delay,parametric eq.I leave off the verb or delay or add one or the other.But I like the tone,naturally I fine tune the knobs and have found different amps like different adjustments.Sumi:D

richrenken
October 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I hear what you say about EMG's...I used to dislike them myself for quite a long while. Then I was having this big problem with home recording and got me some EMG's just to battle interference, and it worked very well. Those were EMG S singlecoils. I tried the guitar with my live rig and found I liked them better than anything else I had.

I don't like ultra high-gain stuff nor do I like 81's which I find are rather cold and sharp sounding. I much prefer 85's for they have much more low end register too. But I also hardly ever use just a bridge pickup, instead I play with both bridge and neck pickup on 95% of the time. That gives a very wide tonal spectrum and also yields a great responsiveness to playing force, you can go from almost clean to overdrive just by playing harder. With passive pickups the same would be too messy for chording etc. but that's the best part of EMG's, they retain clarity in any situation well. And for my playing style that's important, I tend to play full chords and such most of the time.

One thing I usually do with my EMG's is also whenever I play into a digital or SS system, I keep the guitar volumes at about 50%, because full power makes the sound bad.

But EMG's, for me S, SA and 85's - work wonders when they get to drive a tube amp input stage pretty much directly. I mentioned this somewhere already - I get the best sound with the EMG's directly to the amp input, but anything digital in between, even one chip or buffer stage, and the sound is utter crap.

Yeah, EMG's work with tubes, but not so well with digital/ss. However the latter can be corrected to a large extent by never using full guitar volume.

See, and even hearing you lay out how you use them made me understand them more than I did before. That is all I am here to do with you guys and M13, just let you know why we did this or that. :)

richrenken
October 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
BTW I just recently demoed quickly and with crap playing how much I like how EMG's give a great clarity and tonal range also by playing style changes, even with an SS high-gain rig like my Tech-21 TM10 'bedroom amp' with no FX at all. Funny enough, though, on this clip the amp is actually set to clean british, but the EMG's still make it sound pretty high gain, unless you play it very very softly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDk8CXW3oSk

And here's my first EMG guitar...with this I fell in love with how you can have them very dirty and screaming and still you can just throw in some full 6-string chords and it keeps the clarity without effort. With passives the same is very hard to achieve; at the stage when single-string stuff is screaming, full chords get way too boomy.

But I dunno...when I go thru my recordings all the way back to late 80's one thing sticks out to me: my guitar sound has pretty much since the early 90's been quite the same, no matter what rig I've used. And I've used a LOT of different rigs from Les Pauls to Telecasters and Fender amps to Marshalls and whatnot, original, seymour, gotoh, whatever pickups, openbacks, closedbacks, sometimes with pedals, sometimes without, D/I, live, modelers and nonmodelers. They all sound fundamentally just the same on recording after I've tweaked the rig to get my own sound....live I can hear plenty of differences but on recording...really no matter what I use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9RNM0qb_Y

EMG's are an acquired taste I guess...now and then I play some passive guitars and yeah, in some respects they sound softer and maybe a little more lively too, but then I try to play some songs and instantly get annoyed by the lack of clarity in comparison with actives.

I've been thinking I should probaly also give a shot at those Seymour Blackouts.

I have heard some good stuff about the Blackouts.

Good job on the clips. The first video when you are doing the lead stuff, I can hear that Lukather tone. Very nice.

richrenken
October 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
I have found the SAs in my Luke to be just the opposite. Compared to all but one set of my passive single coils on my Strats they are much lower in output. That is one reason that I like to play the Luke because I get to turn the amp up more - then it really starts cooking. They aren't hot pickups at all.

Listen to the blues sounds of Tyler Dow Bryant playing the Luke for blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKnVYzqsqjQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhG6zrZVOWw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkJP0vOphCc

That kid is amazing!! It is so great to see young guys growing up learning to play and having X-factor. That is so cool.

sumitomo
October 24th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Last night I was playing around and using the classic dist,and a little verb and set the octofuzz after the distortion,man that really woke up that octofuzz,it was very cool.Sumi:D

Lev
October 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I did my first gig with the M13 last night. Had an absolute blast with it. My overall tone was greatly improved by eliminating the half a dozen patch leads and power connectors I had to use with my old pedals. I had a lot of fun with the effects, I used the bass octave along with the tron up for a really funky sound on Stevie Wonders Superstition. I also enjoyed seeing people trying to figure out where the keyboard player was whenever I turned on the octoverb.

All in all I'm delighted with this product!! Well done Line6.

sumitomo
October 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Was playing around last night,using Strat into blues jr.with a mini mass,very cool all by it's self,total mud with any OD or Dist with the m13 or my Rodent,but it got a nice raspy overdriven tone with my pickup booster.I've only got to use the m13 in my bedroom so to me now it sounds really good through the Lunchbox,I'll bet it works great through a larger amph with alot of clean headroom.Sumi:D

I know what else I wanted to post,I was thinking I want to take care of this pedal,so what am I going to do transport it in a box?I have made plans to make a wooden case with a slip joint hinge so leave it in the box.

sumitomo
November 27th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Spud you must be getting pretty good with this pedal now that your playing shows with it.Tell us what you've found out.I'm still playing around,I don't even have any scenes yet.How about some of you other guys?Sumi:D

sumitomo
December 12th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Got to play out tonight,I really like this pedal and I really haven't got a clue how to use it yet.I played it through the lunch box,I had the lunchbox about half on the vol and used the guitar vol,it was more than loud enough and the m13 dished out some good flavors.Sumi:D

bcdon
November 21st, 2010, 10:06 PM
Almost a year since the last post on the M13/M9. So, what is the consensus guys? Does this stompbox really replace all your old effects or has the novelty worn off?

Robert
November 21st, 2010, 10:13 PM
It's great! I often use it as the only effect unit at gigs - it's so handy and has tons of great tones. Great for a minimal rig, together with a small tube amp combo.

I still like some of my analog pedals, but they combine really well with the M9, if I want to bring the whole enchilada of effects to a gig (which I rarely do).

Spudman
November 21st, 2010, 11:12 PM
Almost a year since the last post on the M13/M9. So, what is the consensus guys? Does this stompbox really replace all your old effects or has the novelty worn off?

Not worn off.
I still really like mine. Just yesterday after watching the History of Fuzz (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=16982) I got some new ideas for sounds and nailed them. Too much fun. I've also come up with some great harmony patches. It never ends. Get an idea and go to work. No re-wiring anything, put effects in any order, add in analog effects into the loop etc. I'm a happy camper.

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2010, 11:33 PM
I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy the M9 I am getting to use for a while. It is a nice tool. My only problem is I under use it. I need to tear into it some more as there is so much more it can do.

Monkus
November 22nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
The M9 is still my only effect rig in use, got the line 6 EX-1 expression pedal to go with it. Still finding great tones ! Sold off most of my other pedals and actually only have DVM's MKII, Bluesbreaker and a Holy Grail reverb left.

Its still awesome!

Spudman
February 15th, 2011, 01:52 PM
New update for the M13 and M6 (M9) 1-26-2011

http://line6.com/software/index.html

This Flash Memory v2.04 update is recommended for all M13 owners.

Release Notes:

Echo Platter feedback bug fixed.
A few other proprietary enhancements have been implemented.

Firmware Update Instructions:
After you download the v2.04 Flash Memory file to your computer, please click here for step by step instructions on how to properly update your M13 to version 2.04. (instructions are the same as for v2.00)

Robert
February 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM
M6, Spud, do you mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK1y2FjCGKk

Spudman
February 15th, 2011, 04:39 PM
M6, Spud, do you mean this one?

Sort of...but 3 more. So, are making fun of my dyslexia? Sheesh, I try to provide a public service and this is the get I thanks. :p

Robert
February 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Hey, don't feel bad - I have all 37 symptoms too.

http://www.dyslexia.com/library/symptoms.htm

Weshunter
March 2nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
trying to decide between the m9 and the m13 - i can't see the need to ever use 4 at a time, but then again i've never had these kids of options before. i'll probably be using 1 patch for verb all the time since the rebel 20 i'm getting doesn't have it, but i'm keeping all my od/dist pedals (old rat, hartman fuzz, fulldrive 2) and my keeley compressor, so i won't ever need either of those kinds of effects. kinda leaning towards the 13, but i don't want to waste $100 if i'll never use it.

Spudman
March 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
There is no $100 waste. You'll use the M13 no problem. You'll get the extra wiring ability that the M9 doesn't have. If you look around you can find the M13 used for about the price of the M9.

The M13 is designed to be your pedal board, the M9 is designed to be added to your pedal board. If you plan to use your other pedals then the M9 might be better suited, but you'll miss a lot of features, especially some that make live performance a lot easier.

bcdon
March 2nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
There is no $100 waste. You'll use the M13 no problem. You'll get the extra wiring ability that the M9 doesn't have. If you look around you can find the M13 used for about the price of the M9.

You might even find a M13 here on the good old Fret. :dude
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/17725-Line-6-M13-Stompbox-Modeler-for-sale?highlight=

Weshunter
March 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
Bdcon, if you're throwing in that expression pedal, I'll buy your m13 for 350+shipping - I just need to wait 2 days until my celestion blue and rmc3 sell on ebay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weshunter
March 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Or, if you'd rather, I'm valuing the blue (almost brand new, not broken in - 8ohm) at 250 and the RMC3 at 150, so I can trade you one of those + the 100 or 200 in paypal and we each pay to ship our own thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcdon
March 2nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Or, if you'd rather, I'm valuing the blue (almost brand new, not broken in - 8ohm) at 250 and the RMC3 at 150, so I can trade you one of those + the 100 or 200 in paypal and we each pay to ship our own thing.

Hey Wes,

Sorry, I don't have the expression pedal any longer. It was still in the 30-day window so I returned it. PM me if you'd still like to discuss.

Weshunter
March 3rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
pm'd

Weshunter
March 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
just got an M9 +exp pedal yesterday and it seems awesome - could definitely use some pointers on settings and stuff though, if anybody's got 'em