PDA

View Full Version : Crate V33

Robert
August 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM
My local store has one of these in stock.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V33H-33W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=487052

Anyone tried it?

I played it briefly, and the cleans were great. The gain channel I was not as content with. I could probably get it for under 300 bucks though, due to my "connections". Not that I really need this amp, but.... :)

Maybe I should just save up for that roaring Marshall instead.

Katastrophe
August 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I actually can't believe that I'm giving you advice, Robert, but I think that your last sentence says it all.

Don't settle, brother.

If that "Marshall sound" is what you're after, then why buy an amph that isn't gonna satisfy that need? In the end, I think you wouldn't be happy and would end up selling it (probably at a loss), then spending the money on a Marshall anyway. Or, as a possible alternative, you would keep the amph and never use it.

Nothing lonlier than an unused, dusty amph my friend.

Don't let new amph GAS overpower your ability to reason. Find a good used Marshall, or look at one of the Ceriatones that was posted earlier.

Or, you could look at a Peavey Windsor, Cheap, but cool, and capable of those Angus Young type Marshall tones.

Incidentally, I had serious GAS for the Crate as well.;)

Tone2TheBone
August 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM
What Kat said of course. :)

M29
August 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM
What Kat Kat Kat said...GAS GAS GAS...Juby Juby Juby go for the Jubilee. If I could do it all over again I would go for a Jubilee at any price. If I could afford it of course:D

M29

TS808
August 6th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I would definitely save for the Marshall or purchase a Marshall clone. Crate makes a pretty good amp, but if you weren't too inspired by the overdrive, there's no sense of purchasing the amp (although it is a cool amp).

warren0728
August 6th, 2008, 06:56 PM
save for the marshall or get a good clone....otherwise you'll always be wishing you did! :beer:

ww

Algonquin
August 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I know next to nothing about the different Marshall's out there. I saw some 1974's out and about recoently... and they look good. I've heard the Jubilee's thanks to our resident Tone Guru (T2TB), and I have to admit it is a great sounding amp. They don't come cheap, but with anything in this world... you get what you pay for (most of the time).

I'd imagine they hold their value pretty well, so cost of owning one might not be too bad if you did decide to part ways in a few years.

If buying the Crate delays your purchase of what your heart truly desires... I might be inclined to hold off and make the purchase that really floats your boat. If the Crate inspires you, and fits your current needs... then why not.

Bloozcat
August 7th, 2008, 07:44 AM
As the owner of a Crate Vintage Club 20 and a Vintage Club 30, I have to say that this Crate V33 sounds very disappointing. The OD section should have good EL 84 tone, from warm to sizzling. Both of my older models do. You'll never mistake any of the Crates for a good 18 watt Marshall or clone thereof, but they should get a pretty good Marshally grind none-the-less.

Apparently, Crate missed the boat on this new design. Based upon what you've said, Robert, and all the reviews I've read that agree with what you said, I wouldn't buy one. And I like the former Crates with EL84's...

Robert
August 7th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Yeah, the gain channel really stinks, but the clean tone was awesome. For 300 bucks, you get a great sounding clean, one-channel head. The crappy gain channel is a "bonus". :)

sunvalleylaw
August 7th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I would definitely save for the Marshall or purchase a Marshall clone. Crate makes a pretty good amp, but if you weren't too inspired by the overdrive, there's no sense of purchasing the amp (although it is a cool amp).

Looks like it would be a nice value for someone, but I don't think you should get it just because you can. You should get what you want, like these guys all say. :AOK:

Justaguyin_nc
November 10th, 2008, 02:01 AM
My local store has one of these in stock.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V33H-33W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=487052

Anyone tried it?

I played it briefly, and the cleans were great.

I couldn't help it... these are selling for $179.95 now with free shipping..
Some places are out of stock.. dunno if its a closeout or not..

V33 Head..
4 EL84 and 3 12ax7 tubes.. effects loop, two channels and reverb.. at that price?

I love my Powerblock..so didn't mind the Crate name..

I really wanted the clean channel which gets good reviews..

But, I read the reviews on the over drive channel from a few sites..

this thread includes u Robert..:) A good read thru...
http://www.fender-talk.com/message-board-forum/about16112.html

and from that found a mods page with a clip...
http://dnator.50webs.com/index.html
the clip - http://www.geocities.com/dvnator3000/distro1.mp3

then theres a great thread over at Harmony Central.. listen to wagdog's clips
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2118282&page=6

after hearing those... welp..it better be on the UPS truck in the morning...
Mods or not..it gotta be worth $180.00..

Crate V33H Specifications

Output Power Rating: 33 W rms at 10% THD, 8 ohm load, 120 VAC
Input Impedance: 700k Ohms
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 42 dB, Typical (Clean Channel only)
Gain:
Overdrive Channel: 102 dB, all controls at 10
Clean Channel: 56 dB, all controls at 10
EQ:

Treble: 12 dB range at 6 kHz
Middle: 10 dB range at 1 kHz
Bass: 8 dB range at 150 Hz
Boost: 10 dB at 900 Hz
Presence: 8 dB at 10 kHz
Preamp Tubes: (3) 12AX7
Power Tubes: (4) EL84
Power Requirements: 90-132 VAC, 60 Hz, 85 VA
Size (H x W x D): 8.25 x 24.25 x 9.15 inches
Weight: 25.4 lbs.:rockon:

F_BSurfer
November 10th, 2008, 07:34 AM
At that price its hard to pas up I have talked myself out of buying this so many times this is going to make it even harder now. I did buy the 2x12 cab and it is great for the money

Justaguyin_nc
November 14th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I did get mine from ZZounds.. double boxed and safe!
They sent me the newer new one..ummm...:)
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/fit,400by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/V33H-Front-1d126f542a20d599d6d9927058eb069d.jpg
Guess that means I got a good one..
looks like this..Guess a NEW batch..
I like the Clean channel as is..and Yes
the gain channel has something lacking..

But thats before the mods..
I could live happily with the clean alone till then..
Reverb actually works... again not expected..
Seems like a strong build.. nice size.. knobs feel good.. LOUD!
not as much hiss as I expected compared to reviews..
Kinda Bass heavy.. or would Thick sound better..
It's not a fender sound.. its not a reverend sound..
But its a pretty good Crate sound..
Might keep it awhile longer then others..

Algonquin
November 14th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Congrats Justa, hope you get good usage out of your purchase. How can you really go wrong though at that price... that's wicked!

Play it in good health :AOK:

oldguy
November 14th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Sounds like a buy on the amph, good OD or not, and w/ the mods it may be a killer deal. Could also be a good candidate for the A/B'd amph rig Joe Bonnamassa demo'd on the video Jimi posted. Run it clean w/ reverb and another amph dirty w/ delay..........:beer:
Congrats on your new amph, Justa.........
maybe a sound clip later?:)
Glenn