PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing A New Chorus Pedal

Tim
May 23rd, 2006, 06:06 AM
I am contemplating the thought of buying a new Chorus pedal. The Ibnaez CS5 Chorus pedal that I own no longer produces a nice chorus effect. I was hoping to find a modification to improve the Ibanez output tone and effect, but no luck so far.

I am looking at four possibilities and would appreciate anybody’s recommendations, present usage, or past experience on any of the four mentioned below.

1. The Line6 = $119.00
2. Boss CE-5 Stereo Chorus = $79.00
3. Boss CH1 Super Chorus = $89.00
4. Digitech Multi-Chorus = $69.00

Thanks for any input.

SuperSwede
May 23rd, 2006, 06:47 AM
Chorus Ensemble (Boss CE-5) is wonderful. I also like the CH1, but it is more "analogue" sounding. So I vote for CE-5 (contemporary sound) or CH1 (vintage sound).
A little more expensive way to go would be the Boss CE-20, look below.

http://www.nevadapedals.co.uk/acatalog/ce-20.jpg

Tim
May 23rd, 2006, 08:11 AM
Super Swede,

Thanks for your comments but you seem as undecided as I do. You spoke of the CE-5 and CH1 and said you liked them both.

You did not mention the Digitech Chorus pedal, so I take it as you either do not like the sound or never tried it.

You also skipped over the Line6 Chorus pedal. Most likely for the same reasons.

SuperSwede
May 23rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
I havent tried the Line6 or the digitech units....

I love the more "modern" and "sparkling" chorus of the CE-5, but if you are after a more "old vintage" type of chorus you should look at the CH-1.
And of course, in the CE20 you get different types of choruses.

If I needed a chorus pedal I would go for the CE-5 anyday. Boss/Roland makes the best sounding chorus imho.. Just listen to the wonderful Jazz Chorus amp and you´ll know what I mean.
Line6 makes great stuff so you probably would like that as well.

jpfeifer
May 23rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
Hi Tim,

This may be more $ than you're wanting to spend but the best chorus pedal that I've ever used is the TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger Pedal. I picked up one of these from a friend of mine who was selling it used. It has a very unique sound because it's kind of transparent and adds a lot of shimmer in a very nice way. If you've ever heard Eric Johnson's clean sound then you've heard the sound of this pedal. It's really a great pedal.

-- Jim

Tone2TheBone
May 23rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
JP - I think Alex Lifeson likes the same pedal you mentioned too.

Also Tim try a Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus...then tell me what you think of it cause there's a used one at a local music store I'm thinking of. ;)

Spudman
May 23rd, 2006, 03:01 PM
I think the T.C. is pretty sweet too. I don't have one, but all their stuff is first class and you can almost never find anything used. That tells me that their stuff is keepers. That would be a unique classy option for you.

I should mention that while a have a vintage 9 series Ibanez Chorus I only use my Rotovibe pedal for chorus and with the push of a button I can switch to that nice swirly Univibe sound as well. Both sounds from one pedal and with a foot controllable rate as well. I got mine for less than $100 like new.

Tone2TheBone
May 23rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Spud - I'm still looking for a good rotating vibe sound and there's 2 of them in 2 different shops here for that same price. ($99 used and hopefully negotiable). Tell me how much you like it!

Robert
May 23rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Rotovibe, what brand is that? Dunlop?

Tone2TheBone
May 23rd, 2006, 04:34 PM
Rob - Yup. Go to Musiciansfriend and do a search for it. They have a couple of sound clips of the pedal. I would like to get one.

Spudman
May 23rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
Spud - I'm still looking for a good rotating vibe sound and there's 2 of them in 2 different shops here for that same price. ($99 used and hopefully negotiable). Tell me how much you like it!

At first I used it sparingly. Mostly I used it on Cold Shot and some other mellow ballad. Then I got creative and use it now with feedback and heavy overdrive. I love it! It has a permanent mount on my pedal board.
Just so you know-it isn't as groovy as a real Univibe or some of the clones, but for what it is I won't get rid of it. It works for me.

A good thing about it is that you can alter the rate to be in time with the music's tempo-while on the fly. You can't do that with some of the other units.
The not so good thing is that it is a toe down switch so when the unit comes on it is modulating quickly. This can be frustrating if you are trying to be subtle. If you start a song with the pedal on then no problem. Kicking it on during a song presents the problem unless you engage it while you aren't playing.

Robert
May 23rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
The Voodoo Lab chorus is indeed nice and fat.

I use a DOD Ice Box chorus. It's okay, but not one of the best. TC Electronic is indeed nice too.

Tone2TheBone
May 30th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Spud, Rob - Now I'm playing with the idea of either the Rotovibe or the Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus. Fun fun mindtwisting fun.

Alright Tim what Chorus did you end up deciding on?

Tim
May 31st, 2006, 04:16 AM
This past weekend I purchased the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble pedal. I was hesitant between the CH-1 and the CE-5. They both produce a beautiful chorus effect. What sold me on the CE-5 is that it has the two output jacks for creating a stereo effect. The second option that the CE-5 offers is that it has two EQ filter controls or low and high frequency bands.

These two controls allow for better control of the overall output tone of the pedal and lets you dial in any chorus effect from a warm natural chorus to the clear and penetrating stereo chorus effect which is popular with contemporary music. By eliminating the low frequency with the Low Filter knob you can create a natural chorus with minimal interference between the direct signal and the processed signal.

The two output jacks allow two speakers to be connected for that stereo effect. The further the distance between the speakers, the more stereo effect is obtained.

So far I am really enjoying this pedal. It beats the old Ibanez pedal hands down. It’s a Boss pedal so it is has a metal base so it is strong and durable. I think it will last me for many years to come.

Now all I need to do is learn how to put the pedals that I do have (CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Ibanez Echo/Delay, Bad Monkey, and 7 Band EQ) in proper sequence and then when to use them. I guess it comes down to one word: the guitarist preference.

SuperSwede
May 31st, 2006, 04:35 AM
Its really a great pedal Tim.. I miss mine so much that I am considering to purchase a new. Really nice color too :)

Spudman
May 31st, 2006, 07:59 AM
Tim try: Monkey>EQ>Chorus>Delay
You will almost always want the spatial effects last in the chain. Why? A distorted delay is not really the best, but a delayed distorted guitar is probably the effect you were after in the first place.

Tim
June 1st, 2006, 05:07 AM
Thank you Sir Spudman. Good information as always!