PDA

View Full Version : Suhr for sure

Robert
May 23rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
If I had the dough, I'd get a Suhr. I haven't tried them, admittedly, but a lot of my favourite players (Landau, Henderson, etc) use these guitars. They say it's like a vintage Fender except that it stays in tune and there's no hum. The Scott Henderson model is around $4000 though...

Anyone here tried a Suhr?

See www.suhrguitars.com

By the way, John Suhr used to work at Fender. He also builds amps, the super cool OD-100 (and variations on it) is a choice of many pros. This man can build amps and guitars!
:DR

<edit>
Interesting to see that one of the ads that came up here was for Tom Anderson guitars... they are supposed to be very good too.
</edit>

SuperSwede
May 24th, 2006, 01:20 AM
I wouldnt mind that Pensa Suhr that Knopfler plays sometimes. I think that they changed name to only Suhr now?

Robert
May 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Yes, I think you are right about the name. It was changed. Spectacular guitars, I don't doubt it, but where am I going to find the money for one? Fundraising?

jpfeifer
May 25th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I've never tried them. But I was at a recent event in Las Vegas at a tradeshow and I spotted a guy in the house band that was playing one. They were a great band, and this guy was ripping some great solos, playing a Shur through a Line6 amp. I talked to him after their set and he told me that his guitar was a Shur. It was a fairly basic looking Strat model. He let me take a closer look at it, but I wasn't able to really tell how it felt, etc. He told me that it had a great neck and that the pickups were custom wired and very quiet. They look like great guitars.

-- Jim

Robert
May 18th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Reviving this thread to see if we have any Suhr owners around here?

I just bought a nice Fender strat, so I should really just keep my mouth (and wallet :D ) shut right now. But even though I may be the "King of Cheap Guitars", I still long for that high-end guitar I can completely fall in love with. So, I am thinking about getting a used Suhr Classic maybe next year, if I can save up enough.

New, a Suhr is very expensive - probably between $3000 and $4000, but used they can be had for $1700 - $2000. Even if I don't fall in love with it, I can probably turn around and sell it for what I bought it used for.

Tone2TheBone
May 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I held a used Suhr and played it acoustically one day at Music Go Round. Can you believe someone actually sold it to them? I gave it the once over and it felt pretty good. Too many kids were wankin' that day so I never got to hear it. Can you tell us more about the components Rob? Suhr pickups? How is the trem block? How is it wired?

Robert
May 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I don't know all the details Tone... I know the pickups he makes have a super sweet vintage tone, and he has a noise-canceling system that makes the dead quiet, while still being true single-coils. No fake ones like the noiseless ones Fender and DiMarzio and others make.

kerc
May 18th, 2007, 07:55 PM
What about Andersons? I've always heard great reviews about them...

Robert
May 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Andersons are supposed to be great too. Another one is Tyler guitars - Landau uses a few of those.

tot_Ou_tard
May 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Robert did the player's strat whet your appetite for a better ax, or did it not meet your expectations?

Robert
May 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I have longed for a Suhr for a long time, I'm just looking for feedback on them. My new Fender is great, so I should probably shut up for a while - it works great for me, but you know the grass is always greener on the other side... ;)

abraxas
May 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
OK Suhrs....

Don't want to be dismissive on boutique guitar makers; on the contrary, they are striving in a rather "hostile" market. You can buy a killer guitar for $600 those days, why spend $2000-$5000 on a boutique one.

I have played 2 or 3. VERY impressive build quality. Excellent fret job (PLEK) which makes for 99% of the playability. The Strat style models have perhaps the best pickups of this kind I have heard. In fact I have the V60LP model on my blue Strat, you can hear them on the "funky" clip I uploaded. ;)

OK now for the "dismissive" part: I don't like the hype. John Suhr markets his guitars like the best thing since sliced bread. C'mon. It's a Strat/Tele copy (well, most of them, he also has dual humbucker models, etc). He overemphasizes the role of "tonewoods" and "matching the neck with the body". OK, there is truth there, but, you yourself Robert, have proved that a Squier 51 with "crappy" woods can sound awesome. ;) Also the prices are ridiculous for a 2 piece alder body and a common neck. FWIW, Suhr makes his own bodies/necks now, but Pensa/Suhrs were build with the same Warmoth parts anybody can buy.

When you buy a Suhr, you buy a very well build guitar, that plays beautifully, and nothing has been left to chance. You also retain amazing re-selling value. That's all, IMHO.

You can *risk* building a guitar similar in specs to the "Classic" model, equally good, and probably succeed with 2/5 to 3/5 of the money. And I say *risk* because nobody can guarantee the outcome. Suhr does.

I hope I made my point. :o

Robert
May 21st, 2007, 08:13 AM
Abraxas, thanks for the response, it was very interesting to hear your views. Good points you make.

I would definitely love to try a Suhr. I haven't had many high-end guitars, and maybe I wouldn't be so floored in the end. Who knows. I am getting very curious about some the more expensive guitars and amps, and if I buy anything like that, my idea is to buy used so I can sell it later if it doesn't make me happy.

abraxas
May 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM
I would definitely love to try a Suhr. I haven't had many high-end guitars, and maybe I wouldn't be so floored in the end. Who knows. I am getting very curious about some the more expensive guitars and amps, and if I buy anything like that, my idea is to buy used so I can sell it later if it doesn't make me happy.

Hi Robert. By all means try as many "high end" guitars as you can! But, in the process, try to ask yourself: what is it that makes them great? What is the deciding factor in categorizing a guitar as "high end"?

In my opinion, it is the attention to detail and, more than anything, the high standards of playability, as a result of near perfect setup. More "common" guitars don't get that by default...

Consider this experiment: take your new Strat (which is a terrific guitar by any standards) to a competent technician, to set it up (as I like to say) "within an inch of it's life". Do a Plek job on it. The whole deal may cost you $250-$300 (I don't know the prices where you live), but results shall be revealing IMO. I'm willing to bet that this guitar will feel of a similar "high end" value to a same spec Suhr. Of course some things, like pickups for instance, are very much down to personal preference.

My favorites amongst higher priced guitars are Musicman guitars. In fact you can probably find a lightly used Silhouette Special for less than $1000 and there is simply no comparison with similarly priced Fenders IMHO. If I ever buy another similarly priced guitar, it would definitely be another Musicman (most probably another Axis Super Sport in my case :p )

Tone2TheBone
May 21st, 2007, 01:24 PM
Do you guys actually spend money to get your guitars set up for the way you play? Why?

Robert...go to Wildwood Guitars and buy a Fender Custom Shop guitar and spend half of what you'd pay on a Suhr.

kerc
May 21st, 2007, 01:31 PM
Plek? Whazzat?

abraxas
May 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Do you guys actually spend money to get your guitars set up for the way you play? Why?

Sure, why not?

A player with a lighter touch, can afford to have (for example) lower action without buzzes, even with light strings. On the other hand, a player that depends on heavy bends might want a somewhat higher action.

Personally I only take a guitar to a tech only for involved electrical work (because I'm too stupid to do it myself) and works like a refret. Other than that, I do all the setup myself, even (recently) fret leveling and crowning.

abraxas
May 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Plek? Whazzat?

Kerc, have a look at that:

http://www.plek.com/index.php?master=Press

Tone2TheBone
May 21st, 2007, 01:54 PM
I guess I'm just used to monkeying with my own guitars. I suppose I could help someone who doesn't know how to do certain things on their guitars...and get it playing good for them based on what they tell me they want out of it. But it would have to be a one on one session with them sitting there. Is this what one pays for when they need set up work? Are techs available for one on ones like that? I would think so.

Anyway back to Robert's quest for the ultimate Strat. I bet you you'd want the Suhr SH model wouldn't you. :)

Robert
May 21st, 2007, 02:59 PM
The Scott Henderson model? Hmm, the specs say the neck is 16" radius!:eek:

That is insane! Can that even be right?

http://www.suhrguitars.com/downloads/pdf/SH_Model_Specs.pdf

Tone2TheBone
May 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM
The Scott Henderson model? Hmm, the specs say the neck is 16" radius!:eek:

That is insane! Can that even be right?

http://www.suhrguitars.com/downloads/pdf/SH_Model_Specs.pdf

Yeah I know that's what I said when I saw that. That would be insanely flat. Call them up and ask them!

abraxas
May 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
It's not that curious; it is the same radius as the one on most Ibanez, Jackson, ESP and other "shredder" guitars. Keep in mind that a Les Paul has a radius of about 14", the difference is not that great really.

Tone2TheBone
May 22nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
It's not that curious; it is the same radius as the one on most Ibanez, Jackson, ESP and other "shredder" guitars. Keep in mind that a Les Paul has a radius of about 14", the difference is not that great really.

Yeah the radius on my Studio neck is a lot flatter compared to my Strats you're right. It plays so differently than a Strat though so I don't notice anything. It also has the flat jumbo frets.

Adrian30
September 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
I wouldnt mind that Pensa Suhr that Knopfler plays sometimes. I think that they changed name to only Suhr now?

I don't think the name has changed. What happened is John Suhr and Rudy Pensa, who worked together for a number of years in NYC (Pensa-Suhr years), separated. John headed to California and continued his guitar making under the name Suhr, while Rudy Pensa still makes guitars under Pensa . Rudy, by the way, still makes guitars for Knopfler. :AOK:

I have never tried a Suhr nor a Pensa, but you know the drill, everyone seems to love'em.:drool:

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd drop a line or two. I still havent introduced myself, but I'll do that very soon. Cheers!:beer:

tot_Ou_tard
September 22nd, 2007, 06:47 AM
My Godins have a 12" radius. Having never played anything else, I assume that one just needs to get used to playing barre chords on a fretboard with flatter radius.

Lev
September 22nd, 2007, 07:00 AM
My favorite Suhr Player :Dude:

WEubiUaDq0o

stingx
September 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Here's my two cents.

I go to Rudy's (Pensa) Music pretty often. I have been to Sadowsky's place in Brooklyn a handful of times and I've played the Anderson's in Manny's from time to time as well. I think they're all nice guitars but, TO ME, not worth the amount of money they fetch. I understand why they have to be priced that way but are they really worth that $$$? IMHO no, they aren't. A bolt on neck guitar should not be anywhere near that expensive. That's just me though. I played a Custom Shop Fender Strat that was about 4 large and it didn't play any better to me than my old AMStd or JV.

I think if you have the coin and want to buy one of these that's all fine and good. What bothers me is people that plop the coin down for these thinking they're going to make them better players, as if money invested in an instrument will substitute for practice and talent. Me? I sound the same on a $100 Agile as I do on thousands of dollar custom guitars.

Robert, you make that '51 sound like a million bucks. I am not trying to deter you from owning a Suhr. Just giving you my opinion is all.

tunghaichuan
September 22nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
I agree. While I would like to be able to afford some of those high end guitars, the strat-style/superstrats with the bolt on necks don't require the level of lutherie of a set-in neck or through-neck guitar.

Many people have built strat-style guitars using nothing more than a band saw and a router, that's the appeal.

Also, Carvin manufactures their Bolt guitar for $600-$1K depending on options. They use CNC machinery to carve out the body and neck to keep the costs down.

Does anyone know if the Suhr or any of the other high end guitars actually build their parts using hand tools and not CNC machinery?

tung

Here's my two cents.

I go to Rudy's (Pensa) Music pretty often. I have been to Sadowsky's place in Brooklyn a handful of times and I've played the Anderson's in Manny's from time to time as well. I think they're all nice guitars but, TO ME, not work the amount of money they fetch. I understand why they have to be priced that way but are they really worth that $$$? IMHO no, they aren't. A bolt on neck guitar should not be anywhere near that expensive. That's just me though. I played a Custom Shop Fender Strat that was about 4 large and it didn't play any better to me than my old AMStd or JV.

I think if you have the coin and want to buy one of these that's all fine and good. What bothers me is people that plop the coin down for these thinking they're going to make them better players, as if money invested in an instrument will substitute for practice and talent. Me? I sound the same on a $100 Agile as I do on thousands of dollar custom guitars.

Robert, you make that '51 sound like a million bucks. I am not trying to deter you from owning a Suhr. Just giving you my opinion is all.

Adrian30
September 23rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
I sound the same on a $100 Agile as I do on thousands of dollar custom guitars.

Agreed! If SRV was picky, he wouldn't end up getting a used Strat, to begin with. And it is also my opinion that these guitars are overpriced, again, although I never played a Suhr.
What I really like about Suhr (and Pensa, for that matter) is craftsmanship. I really respect guitar makers that are able to maintain high quality standards.:)

stingx
September 24th, 2007, 06:09 AM
It all comes down to the law of diminished returns.

You find this in almost anything...let's take audiophile equipment (I'm into home theater). I hear a DISTINCT difference between low-grade equipment and mid-priced. I'd say the difference is quite noticeable even by people are not audiophiles. Now the difference(s) between the mid-range items and boutique aren't any where near as noticeable if AT ALL. Oh sure the components can be dipped in Midas' gold and the contacts hand soldered by naked nymphs near the banks of the Euphrates River but do you really notice the difference? In my case I do not. I am the same idiot that cannot distinguish a better sound from Monster Cables or Lava Cables than a good quality, gauge cable from Radio Shack.

Apply this to guitars...you know a $2800 Suhr guitar is expected to be meticulously built and setup. Is it built or set up better than a Fender Deluxe for you to shell out about $1700 more? Come on now...

Motorcycles, guitars, etc. Look I ride a Honda VTX 1300. I could have bought any bike I wanted. I looked at Victorys, Harleys, Triumph, etc. My motorcycle has 1300ccs, liquid cooled, drive shaft, and alloy rims. Basically no maintance other than changing fluids. I paid $7000 for it. The closest model Harley in specs runs $17,000. Only one Harley is liquid cooled, the rest are air cooled. The point is the bike wasn't worth $10,000 more. I didn't feel like paying 10k for a NAME. Now others do want the name and that's all that matters. This is perfectly fine and the whole reason why we have choices in this world.

Bottom line, if you really want a Suhr or a Pensa or an Anderson that's great. There is no arguing that you will have a fine instrument that will play extremely well. That's not the issue. Is the instrument worth the $$$ charged especially when they are CNC manufactured like the others? This is something you have to decide on individually. Me...I don't think so.

abraxas
September 24th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Apply this to guitars...you know a $2800 Suhr guitar is expected to be meticulously built and setup. Is it built or set up better than a Fender Deluxe for you to shell out about $1700 more? Come on now...

I generally agree with what you're saying.

But, in this particular example, yes, the Suhr is in another league, and that reflects more on Fender's overpricing policies than Suhr's "boutique" prices.

The problem is, any good technician can setup not only an Am.Dlx, but even a $500 guitar so that it plays and feels like a Suhr, for a couple of hundrend dollars.

As for the woods, pickups and hardware, I'm certain J.Suhr uses the best he can. I'm not sure this is enough to justify the cost.