PDA

View Full Version : Albert King style blues bending lick

Robert
August 8th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Made a quickie lesson on this type of blues bending lick. I could probably have given more and better verbal instruction, but oh well, it is what it is. Hopefully someone gets something out of it! :D
I am showing 5 different ways of playing the same idea.
PDF here:
http://www.box.net/shared/static/cpa1xxt6pc.pdf

Jimi75
August 8th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Great lesson Robert. Andy Aledort had an lesson of A.K Style bending licks and your lesson is way better my friend!

A.K's way of bending was so extraordinary that you can tell his licks from a million other licks. It sure was influenced by he fact that he played upside down so you have more power to bend.

sunvalleylaw
August 8th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Cool! I will try to get the hang of all five ways and try to "own" that lick in my tool box.

sumitomo
August 8th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Stellar Robert and as usual great vibrato.Sumi:D

ShortBuSX
August 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Stellar Robert and as usual great vibrato.Sumi:D

It really was the highlight of the video, I know I enjoyed it...looks like youve got a B.B. lesson in you too!

tjcurtin1
August 9th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Great lick/lesson Robert - really great learning tool to have it in 5 versions like that!

piebaldpython
August 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Great lesson Robert. The highlight, of course, was to learn different ways of playing that lick so that some of us "mere mortals" can take a stab at it too. ahhaahhahha

Robert
August 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Glad you guys liked it! I did not know that the 5 version thing would be so appreciated. I do try to learn things (licks, scales, etc) in many different ways, so I don't have to be stuck to only one way the "skin the cat".

Jipes
August 11th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Nice lesson Robert :AOK: very well explained and nicely demonstrated, that's very interesting to have the different options that makes it more interesting :bravo:

BTW I did a small one in french for learning Matchbox Blues and all the english speaking are asking for a english version why don't you do one

marnold
August 11th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Glad to see you bust out your boutique Tele again! :)

Great stuff, Robert. How do you do those bends with your guitar strung with 13s? :)

Robert
August 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I just make an ugly guitar face and BEND it like Beckham! :D

sumitomo
August 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Nice lesson Robert :AOK: very well explained and nicely demonstrated, that's very interesting to have the different options that makes it more interesting :bravo:

BTW I did a small one in french for learning Matchbox Blues and all the english speaking are asking for a english version why don't you do one

Ya know Tab Benoit does a killer version of Matchbox,That could be another style.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
The end of the vid mentions Tabs Robert. Did you post those at Dolphinstreet? I did not see the link. Thanks again!

EDIT: Cool! I just signed up to receive lessons via Podcasts on iTunes. I will soon be able to watch a lesson on my phone if I am on the road and want to use some time. I anticipate getting the iPhone in the next several weeks, and having access to the podcasts will be really nice!

M29
August 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Thank you for sharing this Robert:AOK:

M29

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I have been working on Example 2 (the SRV style) tonight, which is the easiest one for me to try right off. Example 4 is very interesting too. The index finger bend is tough. I am not very good at my index finger bends. Also, example one, A.K. proper, is a challenge. Getting two full steps out of a bend and not being flat is a work in progress. Thanks for the lesson! I love it!

Robert
August 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Glad you like it guys! I haven't had time to add the tabs yet. Had to replace a faucet in the bathroom tonight - took a good while as it was my first time "playing plumber". Been like a pocket knife all folded up under sink for a couple of hours... :( :poke:

Glad I did it though - it's like brand new now! Got the best faucet money could buy, so I never have to do this again... ;)

M29
August 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I kind of hit on the 2nd example but I am still a bit rough on the raking part. I still keep letting strings ring that aren't supposed to :o It is hard to slam your pick across all the strings and only hit one:thwap:

M29

Robert
August 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Use your left hand, M29. It's your best friend. :D :D :D

M29
August 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks Robert:D

I tried a variation of the second pattern and for the last note I hit the second string 13th fret with my second finger. Does that sound kind of cool? A little bit higher.

M29

Robert
August 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM
That sounds swell, ole chap! :bravo:

M29
August 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Cool I'm startin to get the hang of this stuff:D
Thanks Robert
M29

Tone2TheBone
August 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I like the video presentation. Very well presented. Love the look and sound of that Tele too. *thumbs up*

ShortBuSX
August 13th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I like the video presentation. Very well presented. Love the look and sound of that Tele too. *thumbs up*

To bad there arent any videos on how to play "Good Morning Lil Schoolgirl" :master:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BT2cVkmmNzg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BT2cVkmmNzg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Huh, I wonder who is playing that cool amph!! Pretty sweet tone there. Really nice pants too. :D

warren0728
August 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM
nice tone and i'm loving the plaid!

ww

Robert
August 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Here is the PDF for version 1 of the lick -

http://www.box.net/shared/static/cpa1xxt6pc.pdf