PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Built BYOC Pedal Kits

duhvoodooman
August 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Now don't get me wrong--I'm not "hanging out a sign" and going whole-hog into the effects pedal business, but I can now offer pre-built BYOC pedal kits on a limited basis. Availability will be determined by other time committments (family, work, church, projects), but I'm confident I can crank a pedal or two out on request, especially if you aren't in a big rush.

If you're not familiar with them, BuildYourOwnClone.com (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/index1.html) (BYOC) sells an extensive line of do-it-yourself effects pedal kits, most of which are "clones" of highly regarded vintage effects. All of them have been updated to use true mechanical bypass, and many offer additional features that the originals didn't have. The owner/master pedal guru at BYOC is Keith Vonderhulls, and his kits are absolutely first-rate in quality. His circuit boards are the best I've seen & used, and he uses high quality components throughout. I've built many of his pedals now, and have yet to come across one that was a disappointment. Here's a list of his current offerings:

Vintage Fuzz (Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face clone)
MkII Tonebender (SolaSound Tonebender fuzz clone)
Large Beaver (Big Muff Pi fuzz clone)
Mouse (ProCo Rat clone)
Overdrive (Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808 clone)
Shredder (Marshall Shredmaster clone)
250+ (DOD 250/MXR Dist+ clone)
Octave Fuzz (Tycobrahe Octavia clone)
Analog Chorus (classic analog "Bucket Brigade" chip; based upon E-H Small Clone)
Tremolo (classic Electronics Australia circuit clone)
Classic Phaser (MXR "Script" Phase 90 clone)
5-Knob Compressor (Ross compressor + multiple new features)
Optical Compressor
Armstrong Twin (2-in-1 Orange Squeezer compressor & Green Ringer ring modulator)
10-Band EQ
Wah (Clyde McCoy wah clone)
Envelope Filter (DOD440 Autowah clone)
Triboost (Dallas Rangemaster + 2 other boost modes)
Digital Echo & Ping-pong Delay
Lazy Sprocket (Boss SG-1 Slow Gear swell clone)
The kits themselves range in price from $64 - $130 (the wah, due to its special pedal enclosure), with most in the $75 - $100 range as of this writing. If you see one that interests you and you lack either the will or the skill to build it yourself, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a price quote. I can provide just the fully assembled & tested pedal with no finishing (i.e. just a bare metal box), or a finished (painted & decaled) version for an additional $20 - $25. Modifications to the stock circuit would be extra, of course, since these take extra time and (usually) additional parts. In general, I can offer an assembled, tested and finished pedal for around $25 - $40 more than the BYOC kit price, depending upon the model. You won't beat that deal anywhere, believe me.

Purchase Terms: I require 50% down, with the balance due when the finished pedal is ready to ship. Shipping cost is extra, and I generally use US Priority Mail, insured & with delivery confirmation. International shipping just isn't worth the hassle, but I will ship to Canada. PayPal is preferred, but I'll also accept a US Postal Money Order. No personal checks, other types of money orders, credit cards, etc. And I reserve the right to decline orders at any time, for any reason.

If you want to see examples of my work, just look around in the Mods & Projects forum (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php?f=40) or THIS PAGE (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/diy_effects_image_select.html) on my website. I take pride in doing top-notch work. Several fellow Fretters who have bought pedals from me can vouch for my work. If you've looked into hand-built "boutique" pedals before, you'll know that prices in the $250 - $400 range are the norm. Here's your chance to get that level of quality & performance at a FRACTION of that price range.

Robert
August 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Uh, DVM - looks like you are never going to have time to play GUITAR!! You'll have your hands full of wires and solder irons, night and day.
:poke: :)

duhvoodooman
August 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Well, those pedals all have to be tested, so I'll get at least a few licks in there!! :rockon:

warren0728
August 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Well, those pedals all have to be tested, so I'll get at least a few licks in there!! :rockon:
oh :whatever: ....so you will be selling used pedals! used are cheaper....right? :poke: :rotflmao:

ww :pancake:

duhvoodooman
August 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
oh :whatever: ....so you will be selling used pedals! used are cheaper....right? :poke: :rotflmao:

ww :pancake:
For you, sure. The "used" discount will be almost as large as the "Warren annoyance factor" surcharge.... ;) :poke:

warren0728
August 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
For you, sure. The "used" discount will be almost as large as the "Warren annoyance factor" surcharge.... ;) :poke:
uh oh.... :thwap: :rotflmao:

ww

Spudman
August 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I love it when the universe balances. :D :rotflmao:

ShortBuSX
August 8th, 2008, 09:37 PM
After recieving the Screaming Banshee and my buddy getting that other green monster(its name escapes me)...Im pretty sure all of my future pedal purchases will be from you, great product, great serive, great price and Id rather my money goto somebody who enjoys what they are doing.

If I were to say anything about my Banshee, it would be that the value far exceeds its price...I see and hear people playing Tubescreamers, but its strange I dont envy them for having the original vintage pedal...mines better! But I do envy that "green monster"(Banshee plus?) you hooked my buddy up with...more switchs, knobs, tonal options...thats gotta be better, right?

I see that hot rodded Rat in my future, glad to see more offerings!:master:

duhvoodooman
August 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Algonquin was good enought to remind me that there are several BYOC pedal demos posted on YouTube. The audio quality isn't the greatest on some of them, but at least they'll give you an idea of the basic sound of the effect. You can find 'em here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=buildyourownclone&p=r

These are video demos done by the owner, Keith. There are also a bunch of customer-recorded demos; do a search on "BYOC" and you'll find tons of those....

ShortBuSX
August 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Do you take trade ins???:rotflmao:
Im also kinda itchin for a better compressor too.:thwap:

duhvoodooman
August 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM
A little ** BUMP ** here.

C'mon, Fretters--somebody here has to be yearning for a high quality, hand-made box-o'-tone!! Lots to choose from! Don't be shy! :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

tot_Ou_tard
August 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Not that I'm yearning, but what pedal is their chorus based on Vood?

duhvoodooman
August 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Not that I'm yearning, but what pedal is their chorus based on Vood?
The original version of the Electro-Harmonix Small Clone, widely considered among the best of the analog chorus pedals. Kurt Cobain was arguably its best known proponent, but many. many others swear by it, as well.

tot_Ou_tard
August 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
The original version of the Electro-Harmonix Small Clone, widely considered among the best of the analog chorus pedals. Kurt Cobain was arguably its best known proponent, but many. many others swear by it, as well.
What was different about the original version compared with current production models?

duhvoodooman
August 17th, 2008, 06:06 PM
What was different about the original version compared with current production models?
Couldn't tell ya, Tot. I've read that the Small Clone reissue (also analog) sounds very good, too.

tot_Ou_tard
August 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Couldn't tell ya, Tot. I've read that the Small Clone reissue (also analog) sounds very good, too.
Thanks Vood!

duhvoodooman
September 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Another little ** BUMP **

I have a couple of things to order from BYOC, so if anybody wants to save a couple of extra dollars on a pedal via consolidated shipment, now would be an excellent time to piggyback your pre-built pedal order onto this....

Extra-special offer: I'll knock an extra $10 off for the first person to order the BYOC Mouse v.2 pedal. I'm so curious to hear what the new 6-way clipping switch does, I'll eat the $10 just to find out. $115 decaled & painted or $95 for assembled but unfinished. Man, that pedal looks just too cool....

tot_Ou_tard
September 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
Do you know anything about this delay Vood?

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/analogdelay.html

duhvoodooman
September 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Do you know anything about this delay Vood?

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/analogdelay.html
Just that:

It will use pure analog "bucket brigade" chip technology
The pedal's release has been delayed to Oct. (at least) by unavailability of those chips
People at the BYOC forums have been drooling over this pedal for a LONG time now. Not surprising when you see the $149 price tag on MXR's "Carbon Copy" analog delay...

sunvalleylaw
September 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Another little ** BUMP **

I have a couple of things to order from BYOC, so if anybody wants to save a couple of extra dollars on a pedal via consolidated shipment, now would be an excellent time to piggyback your pre-built pedal order onto this....

Extra-special offer: I'll knock an extra $10 off for the first person to order the BYOC Mouse v.2 pedal. I'm so curious to hear what the new 6-way clipping switch does, I'll eat the $10 just to find out. $115 decaled & painted or $95 for assembled but unfinished. Man, that pedal looks just too cool....

Does the kit come out more like the original or the Rat 2? I am also curious about the delay. I still need a delay.

duhvoodooman
September 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
It's based upon the ORIGINAL version of the Rat, not the Rat 2. The BYOC 6-way clipping switch modification sacrifices nothing of the original circuit--it just adds 5 more clipping options. Two (along with the "stock" setting) use the original clipping path to ground--the usual route for distortion pedals--while the other three are in the feedback loop to the opamp, which is the classic Tube Screamer approach to less distorted "overdrive" clipping. The combination of both modes gives this new BYOC Mouse an incredibly broad range of distorted signal character.

My personal BYOC Mouse, dubbed the "Rabid Rodent", is based upon the v.1 kit, and has the stock clipping, one mode of "overdrive" clipping (silicon diodes), and a "diode lift" mode (i.e. no clipping; basically a boost), which candidly isn't all that useful if you already have a boost pedal. I added a switch to go between the stock clipping and LED clipping, a.k.a. "Turbo Rat" mode. But this new version offers a lot more....

sunvalleylaw
September 3rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Ok, I am in. Rat on the way for my upcoming B-day. Yee Hah!

duhvoodooman
September 3rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
You won't be disappointed, Steve! :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

Anybody else want in on this BYOC order I'll be making? Now's the time to jump on board. See list of available BYOC kits in the first post in this thread. If you see one that grabs you, just PM me for a quote!

For any of you mulling over that new Mouse, here's the pedal graphic mockup. Steve's will include one additional mod to the kit--a toggle switch on the left side to go between stock Rat mode and what is known as the "Ruetz mod". This popular Rat circuit mod drops the gain, smoothes the distortion some, and expands the pedal's bottom end.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/7448cede8040188.gif

Spudman
September 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Anybody else want in on this BYOC order I'll be making? Now's the time to jump on board. See list of available BYOC kits in the first post in this thread. If you see one that grabs you, just PM me for a quote!

Stop it! You're evil.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Humor/untitled.jpg

duhvoodooman
September 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
You know you want one, Spuds. Surrender to the inevitable.... ;) :D

Spudman
September 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
You know you want one, Spuds. Surrender to the inevitable.... ;) :D

I will not succumb to the Dark Side.

How much is the Octavia clone?

Blaze
September 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
How can i get intouch with you man , e mail or something..

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Blazes, you can PM him, or he has a website link in his sig line. DVM is very nice to deal with. I am sure you will be pleased if you do.

Tone2TheBone
September 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I highly recommend Voodooman's pedal creations to anyone. I've got several of his pedals and every one of them is top notch. Unsurpassed in build quality and sound.

duhvoodooman
September 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
How can i get intouch with you man , e mail or something..
As SVL said, just shoot me a PM here (http://www.thefret.net/private.php?do=newpm&userid=74). I don't like to post my e-mail address in the forum, due to spam bots.

Blaze
September 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
As SVL said, just shoot me a PM here (http://www.thefret.net/private.php?do=newpm&userid=74). I don't like to post my e-mail address in the forum, due to spam bots.

Yeah ! understand , i ve found your e mail..

Spudman
September 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM
All this talk of this pedal got me interested to find out more about it.

Here is a really good article on the BYOC Triboost pedal (http://www.peerlesstone.com/node/63).

tunghaichuan
September 17th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Excellent, thanks for the link. I had not seen that site before.

Speaking of the Dallas Rangemaster, I just got an order of parts including some terminal strips to build a Dallas Rangemaster clone:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/Rangemaster/atboost.pdf

Som pix:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/Rangemaster/drm.htm

I may have to get some OC44s from Small Bear to put in the Triboost and the Rangemaster clone.

I just hope my circuit building skills can do justice to that awesome enclosure, finished by Duhvoodooman. :D No matter how it sounds, my Triboost will look cool :AOK:

tung

All this talk of this pedal got me interested to find out more about it.

Here is a really good article on the BYOC Triboost pedal (http://www.peerlesstone.com/node/63).

duhvoodooman
September 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM
The BYOC Triboost really is a cool pedal. There's nothing else like it available--three boost circuits in one pedal, including the vaunted Dallas Rangemaster germanium boost. As the article points out, there are boutique pedal makers selling simple Rangemaster clones for $300!! Absurd!! This one does that and S-O-O-O much more, for a kit price of $95. Don't want to build it yourself? The ol' Voodoo Man can build you one, painted & decaled, for $125 plus shipping.

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM
The BYOC Triboost really is a cool pedal. There's nothing else like it available--three boost circuits in one pedal, including the vaunted Dallas Rangemaster germanium boost. As the article points out, there are boutique pedal makers selling simple Rangemaster clones for $300!! Absurd!! This one does that and S-O-O-O much more, for a kit price of $95. Don't want to build it yourself? The ol' Voodoo Man can build you one, painted & decaled, for $125 plus shipping.

Great googly moogly, that is a steal. Fellow Fretters: you need to buy one of these from the DVM before he comes to his senses and starts charging more for his work. Seriously.

tung