PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Opening Ceremony

warren0728
August 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM
curious as to what everyone (that watched) thought of the opening ceremony...

i thought it was impressive....nice mix of technology and human interaction...

i have trouble getting my 2 kids to do something together....can't imagine choreographing 1000+ people to work in unison... :bravo:

ww

Robert
August 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
It was pretty amazing I have to say. Wow. Say what you want about the Chinese, but the sure know how to impress with a show like this!

And I have trouble chewing gum and picking my nose at the same time. :whatever:

marnold
August 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Ahem.

Warning: blatent jingoism to follow . . .

USA! USA! USA!

We now return you to your regular Fret broadcasting.

SuperSwede
August 9th, 2008, 02:55 AM
i have trouble getting my 2 kids to do something together....can't imagine choreographing 1000+ people to work in unison... :bravo:

+1
:D

tot_Ou_tard
August 9th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Pretty dang cool.

The camera work (at least here in the States) could have been a bit better.
I wanted to see more shots from above during the drumming segment. It looked like a kaleidoscope/circuit board made of human beings.

evenkeel
August 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Total agreement with the rest of the fretters. Amazing show, just spectacular. The drumming segment really stood out. As did the section with the choreographed "boxes" moving up and down to create images. All done with people. So very "Chinese".

sumitomo
August 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Yep pretty impressive and they make a pretty good guitar also.Sumi:D

Jimi75
August 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Haven't expected anything else than a spectacular opening ceremony.
Anyway, there's a dark cloud hanging over Beijing and its games. Too much trouble going on in advance.

I am a huge fan of the olympic games and my favourite games remain the ones in Los Angeles and Sydney.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Didn't watch it. The Olympics only catch a little of my attention and I am certainly not impressed with China and/or the selection of China to hold the Olympics. - but that's political, so I will end it.

R_of_G
August 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I'm with you Strum. Between the selection of China as a host country and the further away the Olympics get from being for amateur athletes the less interested I've become.

warren0728
August 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
that might be true...but keeping politics out of it (which is in the true spirit of the olympics) that opening ceremony blew away any other opening ceremony every.

ww

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
that might be true...but keeping politics out of it (which is in the true spirit of the olympics) that opening ceremony blew away any other opening ceremony every.

ww

That's just it, it's not out of it. It is in it to almost the same degree as when they were held in Germany during the days of Hitler.

evenkeel
August 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM
That's just it, it's not out of it. It is in it to almost the same degree as when they were held in Germany during the days of Hitler.

Very true. And, sorry to report the games have not been about "amateur athletics" since the Chariots of Fire days. And even then a whole lot of $$ and politics was involved. Eastern block countries and their sports factories funded professional athletes as far back as the 50's. Sport shoe companies started paying athletes in the early 60's.

China has decided to follow the old East German sports factory model. In the US many corporations, Home Depot, Fed Ex, and of course Nike underwrite athletes, givng them the ability to train at the highest level. The whole pure amateur vs. evil pro thing was much more Olympic P.R. than reality. Yes it's about big money, politics and very corporate. But at least re: money, the games are a lot cleaner, particularly versus the Avery Brundage era. Cheating..., drugs.... well that's another thing all together.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I'll give you this - it beats war.