PDA

View Full Version : Songs you play?

Robert
May 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
What songs do you really like to play? At home, I like playing jazz blues, and sometimes I transcribe some SRV or similar.

When I play gigs, I often play songs by the Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, CCR, SRV, Clapton and a whole bunch of blues classics (Fanny Mae, Sweet Home Chicago, etc). The songs are rarely picked by me.

What songs do you not like to play?
I'd list "Rock Around The Clock" here... and "Roll Over Beethoven" - I don't find them very interesting to play.

I am always looking for good covers to play, if you have any suggestions, please pour 'em in here!

Katastrophe
May 23rd, 2006, 07:02 PM
We just added "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Ring of Fire" (Johnny Cash) and "Whiskey Lullaby" (Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss), and "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" (Georgia Satellites). I'm stoked to be playing these tunes. On the last one, I get to unleash the ESP and wail a bit. The Cash tunes are a blast to play as well!

Robert
May 23rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Good songs, I used to play that last one a lot a long time ago, dunno why I never end up playing it with bands these days. Folsom Prison Blues is great fun - have you heard Brian Setzer do it? He's the man!

jpfeifer
May 23rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
When I play by myself, I have some fingerstyle stuff that I've been working on:
- I'll See You in My Dreams (Chet Atkins style )
- Taking It To the Streets (a solo guitar arrangement that I'm working on)
- Christmas Time is Here (Vince Garaldi tune that I'm arranging for solo guitar)

When I play with the variety band that I play with we're doing a bunch of covers that are kind of fun. Some are more fun than others ...
- Summertime Blues (old Eddie Cochran tune)
- Sleepwalk
- Do It Again (Steely Dan)
- Jumbalaya (we do this one really fast as a chicken pickin kind of thing)
- Mercy Mercy Mercy

tremoloman
May 24th, 2006, 09:15 AM
My current favorite songs to jam to aren't traditional, but what the hell...

Hiroshi Miyagawa
Space Battleship Yamato Original BGM Collection

Iron Maiden
Number of the Beast, Wasted Years

Jimi Hendrix
Ezy Ryder, Straight Ahead, Killing Floor, 3rd Stone From The Sun, Like A Rolling Stone

Johnny Cash
The Man Comes Around, I've Been Everywhere, Rusty Cage

Mike Oldfield
The Bell, Man In The Rain

Muddy Waters
Mannish Boy, Champagne & Reefer

Rush
YYZ, Where's My Thing?, 2112 Overture & Grand Finale, Limelight

TV Themes
Linus & Lucy (aka Charlie Brown Theme - Vince Guarialdi), The Pink Panther, The Rockford Files, Law & Order, Spiderman (60s version), The Munsters, Hawaii-Five O

Misc themes
Super Mario Brothers (NES video game theme), Brass Bonanza (The old Hardford Whalers Theme), Nutrocker (The Boston Bruins theme)

And songs I hate?

Born To Be Wild, Mustang Sally, Sweet Home Alabama, and anything from Bon Jovi

I'd rather gargle a glass full of razor blades than play those songs ever again. Mustang Sally to me sounds like fingernails on a chalk board.