PDA

View Full Version : Vox AC30 value ideas?

Mr Grumpy
August 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM
A friend is selling a LOT of his gear as he is selling house etc and going to live on a boat, so space will be limited.......anyhow one of the items is a VOX AC30TB from around late 60's/early 70's at a guess, havent seen it yet so no pics. Im trying to get an idea of value but its almost impossible to get details off the serial, anyone got any idea of any good resources to try (Im not after buying it myself - I cant afford jack at the minute, certainly not GAS wise and it will be far too loud. Hoping to have a go on it with my GS before it goes though :rockon: ).

It is apparently in excellent condition and only lightly gigged, he's had it years and years.

His other stuff is interesting but not over valuable I think - a 70's Tokai breezy sound tele (japanese), a Yamaha SE203 strat a like (pre pacifica). he thought about selling his mid 60's Double cut Gibson Melody Maker which, although he has no documentary proof, was played by Peter Green who offered to purchase it off him. I talked him out of that.....

I offered to try and do a deal on his Fender Champ 12 but he didnt bite:cry:

Any clues, folks?

TS808
August 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I don't know the value of the Vox, but once in a while one will pop up on ebay and that's always a good place to get an idea what they are selling for. You can get a "ballpark" by checking out the starting bids.

Honestly, out of that bunch, the Tokai might be a valuable piece as well. I'm not sure when the "lawsuit" era for the Tokai's was (I think the early 80's) so the Tokai might have some pretty good value.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I'm not familiar with the model, but an 1966 Vox AC30 AC-30 Top Boost Combo Amp Amplifier sold for $2,751.00 on 8/3

a Vox AC 30 / 6TB Tube Guitar Amplifier AC30 sold for $1,600 on 8/8

I'm not sure how the one you are looking at stacks up to these.

wingsdad
August 9th, 2008, 09:02 AM
According to the 2008 ed. of the Vintage Guitar Mag Price Guide, a 1966-72 AC-30 Twin Top Boost, tube or solid state, in Excellent condidtion, ranges from a low value of $1,500 to a high of $3,500. That wide value range is typically market-driven, but in this case, I'd say the higher value would be a tube model. Black AC-30's were strictly tube prior to '66, and have a low/high range of $4,200-$4,500.

That Melody Maker D, if NOT played by Peter Green and a sunburst or cherry '65-66, ranges $1,200-$1,600. If it's got an SG body, it's a '66-69 and worth a little more.

The VG Guide has nothing on the 70's Tokai or that Yamaha.

Mr Grumpy
August 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks Wingsdad - the MM is a cherry, double cut (not SG shaped) with a tapped (dimarzio I think) at the bridge and a couple of extra toggles (tap/phase switching) so its non standard. Its got a few wrinkles and dings worthy of its age. Plays like a dream too. Think its an early 60's model, Ill try and get a picof it, and the Vox

wingsdad
August 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Mr. G-
Vox started making amps in the US (as well as continuing in England) in 65 & 66 to meet the US Market's Beatlemania/Brit Invasion demand, and most US amps were solid state. They pretty much stopped altogether by 72. So a clue on narrowing down that AC-30's vintage, even if it's tube, would be to check if made in US or England.

Attached is Gibson Electrics Serialization from the 07 Blue Book of Electric Guitars. Maybe you can figure out that MM's vintage.

Mr Grumpy
August 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Its definitely tube and made in England. Ive not seen it myself or got any pics yet.

markb
August 9th, 2008, 04:20 PM
It'll be a British amp. Thomas Organ Voxes are almost non-existent in the UK. There are, however a lot of old AC30s out there. Back in London in the late 70's a local paper ad for "guitar amp, two speakers" was usually an AC30. The asking price was often £70 - £75. You could get 'em down to £50 nine times out of ten, blue speakers and copper panel and all!

Have a look here for some VOX history.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/equipment/index.html