PDA

View Full Version : Tele neck pup as replacement for strat single coil.

tot_Ou_tard
August 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM
This is related to the pupcaster thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=7971

How much modification is required to replaced a standard strat neck pup with a tele-sized one?

All the Charlie Christian pups that I can find are meant to be either replacements for a tele neck pup or a humbucker.

dan P
August 10th, 2008, 06:17 AM
It would depend on if you mounted it in your body or the guard, as each will require a different approach, also want to take note of the magnet and winding polarity, in regard to which direction its mounted, it would be a matter of changing a few wires around..

tot_Ou_tard
August 10th, 2008, 08:21 AM
It would depend on if you mounted it in your body or the guard, as each will require a different approach, also want to take note of the magnet and winding polarity, in regard to which direction its mounted, it would be a matter of changing a few wires around..
I'd mount it on the guard.

dan P
August 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
with the two other strat pups? I believe the tele pup is smaller and may not mount in the standard holes...

ShortBuSX
August 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Isnt the pole spacing different too?

dan P
August 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Here we are !http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_6198489f607eb1296.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=624)

tot_Ou_tard
August 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I didn't think about the pole spacing...hmmm maybe this won't work.

ShortBuSX
August 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Although it just MAY...a typical Strat's neck pickup pole pieces dont line up so hot with the high strings either...a smaller pup MAY actualy work out nicely.

Algonquin
August 11th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Seymour Duncan Tele neck p/u's have a 2.852" pole spacing, where the Duncan Strat p/u's have a 3.031" spacing... you're about to enter custom pickguard territory for this configuration.

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Seymour Duncan Tele neck p/u's have a 2.852" pole spacing, where the Duncan Strat p/u's have a 3.031" spacing... you're about to enter custom pickguard territory for this configuration.
I'm already thinking about a custom p(r)ickguard as my mine is ugly & Godin won't sell me a new one & I can't find any second parties selling them.

Bloozcat
August 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM
The pole spacing shouldn't be any different...at least on the neck pickup, that is. Strats and Tele's both have the same nut widths (1-5/8" or 1-11/16"), the same string spacing at the bridge (2-7/32" vintage, 2-3/16" modern), and the same 25-1/2" scale length. So the string paths on the two guitars should be identical, respectively.

Any variation from Fender's respective designs (vintage vs. modern) would be due to differences in aftermarket pickup design, and that should affect both models accordingly.

tot_Ou_tard
August 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
The pole spacing shouldn't be any different...at least on the neck pickup, that is. Strats and Tele's both have the same nut widths (1-5/8" or 1-11/16"), the same string spacing at the bridge (2-7/32" vintage, 2-3/16" modern), and the same 25-1/2" scale length. So the string paths on the two guitars should be identical, respectively.

Any variation from Fender's respective designs (vintage vs. modern) would be due to differences in aftermarket pickup design, and that should affect both models accordingly.
I'm really wanting to put such a pup into the neck of my Godin SD, which has a 24-3/4" scale.

But really, I want to put a Charlie Christian blade style & so the pole-spacing question is moot.

Would I have to get a custom pickguard first? Or could I mod the one I have to at least fit the pup?

Algonquin
August 12th, 2008, 06:58 AM
My bad... substitute 'pole spacing' to 'mounting screw spacing'

Tele neck pickups are smaller than strat's...

tot_Ou_tard
August 12th, 2008, 07:10 AM
My bad... substitute 'pole spacing' to 'mounting screw spacing'

Tele neck pickups are smaller than strat's...
That's what I was concerned about in the above post.

I'd like to mount it on my current pickguard (I don't mind cutting it if need be) to try it out before getting a custom pickguard.

The whole thing sounds too complex.

Bloozcat
August 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I'm really wanting to put such a pup into the neck of my Godin SD, which has a 24-3/4" scale.

But really, I want to put a Charlie Christian blade style & so the pole-spacing question is moot.

Would I have to get a custom pickguard first? Or could I mod the one I have to at least fit the pup?

I'll have to tie a string around my finger to remember to check that for you tonight. I have a Tele pickup and a Strat pickguard that I can try matching it up to. If I'm not mistaken, the mounting holes on a Tele pickup should match the holes on a Strat pickguard. There will be a gap around the pickup when mounted, however. The Tele pickups coil is smaller than a Strat's.

marnold
August 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Judging from Seymour Duncan's site, their Alnico II Pro for Strat is 3.031" from one mounting hole to the other. Their Alnico II Pro for Tele (neck) is 2.852".

tot_Ou_tard
August 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Judging from Seymour Duncan's site, their Alnico II Pro for Strat is 3.031" from one mounting hole to the other. Their Alnico II Pro for Tele (neck) is 2.852".
Thanks Marnold!

Bloozcat
August 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM
The mounting holes on a Tele neck pickup do not line up with the holes in a typical Strat pickguard. Even if they did, there would be a sizable gap around the pickup, as the route is larger than the pickup.

I checked it last night, and it's a no-go....

tot_Ou_tard
August 13th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks everyone! At least we have an answer. It limits my options...but sometimes that is a good thing ;).

Algonquin
August 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hey Tot... I just noticed GuitarFetish has a Lipstick p/u that are a direct fit for a strat.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprlifistc.html

Might be worth a look at.

tot_Ou_tard
September 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hey Tot... I just noticed GuitarFetish has a Lipstick p/u that are a direct fit for a strat.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprlifistc.html

Might be worth a look at.

Very cool indeed.

Harmonic designs has the STP:

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/strats.html

which is a Tele pickup in a strat-size.

But I think two GFS lipsticks at the neck & middle & either a GFS Mean 90 or Dream 90 at the bridge might just be the ticket!