PDA

View Full Version : Clapton Sound Effects

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I think I'm the last guitar player on the planet to become a great Clapton fan. I explain that by saying I've been involved in church work all my life and haven't been around a lot of different music.

I was wondering what pedals/effects Eric Clapton uses to produce that wonderful sound.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I got into Clapton over the last year, so I guess that makes me second to the last Clapton fan (there's a Far Side cartoon about the Last of the Mohican's that I've never been able to locate.)

Try googling different things about Clapton's gear and see what you turn up.

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I got into Clapton over the last year, so I guess that makes me second to the last Clapton fan (there's a Far Side cartoon about the Last of the Mohican's that I've never been able to locate.)

Try googling different things about Clapton's gear and see what you turn up.
Thank you, I'll try that. It seems to me that most of his stuff is sort of subtle, which I like. I like the clean sound. I use a blues effects at church but I'm looking for something that will give me more sustain.

It's good to know I'm not the only "johnny come late" guy around about Clapton.

wingsdad
August 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I was wondering what pedals/effects Eric Clapton uses to produce that wonderful sound.
Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean earlier EC when he played Gibson LP's, 335 or SG through Marshalls with a Vox Crybaby wah (i.e., with Cream or earlier), or later, (i.e., Derek & the Dominoes & solo career, when he went to a Strat through Music Man or Fender amps, and added using a phase shifter pedal?

EDIT: cross-posted...sounds like you mean the Strat 'era' EC.

Rocket
August 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
(One should start with very deft hands!)

You'd be better advised to develop & produce your own unique sound... don't be a mimic, be a musician. That's the difference between artists and technicians and subject for loooooong & intense discussions!

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean earlier EC when he played Gibson LP's, 335 or SG through Marshalls with a Vox Crybaby wah (i.e., with Cream or earlier), or later, (i.e., Derek & the Dominoes & solo career, when he went to a Strat through Music Man or Fender amps, and added using a phase shifter pedal?

EDIT: cross-posted...sounds like you mean the Strat 'era' EC.
Yeah I like the later sound better with the Strat. I just watched some vids posted by Just Strum, "You were wonderful tonight," "Crossroads," (done on Good Morning America with John Mayer) and etc. Clapton is so good and smooth. Since I'm a pastor and play in church I need something that is subtle and I like the sustain. I play a Tele through a Fender amp.

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
(One should start with very deft hands!)

You'd be better advised to develop & produce your own unique sound... don't be a mimic, be a musician. That's the difference between artists and technicians and subject for loooooong & intense discussions!
Yeah Rocket I know what you mean. I don't think Eric has any worry about me taking over his spot. The more I see and hear other players the more I realize I need to work on my playing. Thanks for the input.

ShortBuSX
August 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
From what Ive read he developed his sound from his Gibson days, hed use the bridge humbucker full time(I notice Bonamassa does this too) but then he turns the tone knob all the way down so its more middy and he adjusts his tone stack on the amp to flavor.
But on his Strats hes got a preamp to add upto 25db(?) more drive.
Its a mid driven tone.

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 03:11 PM
From what Ive read he developed his sound from his Gibson days, hed use the bridge humbucker full time(I notice Bonamassa does this too) but then he turns the tone knob all the way down so its more middy and he adjusts his tone stack on the amp to flavor.
But on his Strats hes got a preamp to add upto 25db(?) more drive.
Its a mid driven tone.
Guess I'm going have to talk the wife into getting me a Clapton Strat.:D

Rocket
August 9th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Guess I'm going have to talk the wife into getting me a Clapton Strat.
That's a good way to NOT get one.
Get it yourself... then discuss it with the wife!

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM
That's a good way to NOT get one.
Get it yourself... then discuss it with the wife!
I forgot, it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Guess I'm going have to talk the wife into getting me a Clapton Strat.:D

That's not going to do anything, but provide you with a guitar that looks like Clapton's or at the very least shaped like one of his. If you can't drive the ball down the fairway, a new driver is only going to help you drive it deeper into the woods.

Practice, get better, and then decide what guitar you want. At the very least, don't buy a guitar because some guitar god has one.

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM
That's not going to do anything, but provide you with a guitar that looks like Clapton's or at the very least shaped like one of his. If you can't drive the ball down the fairway, a new driver is only going to help you drive it deeper into the woods.

Practice, get better, and then decide what guitar you want. At the very least, don't buy a guitar because some guitar god has one.
I'm working on getting better. I'm not that stupid about getting a new guitar just because. I love good music and I love playing. Besides I love my Tele.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm working on getting better. I'm not that stupid about getting a new guitar just because. I love good music and I love playing. Besides I love my Tele.

I don't recall putting the word stupid in my post, if you think I was insinuating that - hey, what can I say?

It sounded like you were letting GAS drive you to a sound and I was pointing out the danger. I go down that road all the time, did the same thing with golf. Guitar and golf are tied together in a lot of ways. A good example is Rocket, he wears the same plaids and bright colors whether he's golfing or playing guitar.

Anyway, I wasn't calling you stupid. If I was, I can assure you there would be no mistaking it.

Rocket
August 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
A good example is Rocket, he wears the same plaids and bright colors whether he's golfing or playing guitar.
Huh?

http://www.sportkilt.com/walloffame8/GOLF%20016.jpg

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Huh?

Ah yes, the Axel Rose outfit.

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I don't recall putting the word stupid in my post, if you think I was insinuating that - hey, what can I say?

It sounded like you were letting GAS drive you to a sound and I was pointing out the danger. I go down that road all the time, did the same thing with golf. Guitar and golf are tied together in a lot of ways. A good example is Rocket, he wears the same plaids and bright colors whether he's golfing or playing guitar.

Anyway, I wasn't calling you stupid. If I was, I can assure you there would be no mistaking it.
No, no, just strum, I appreciate the advice. I wasn't insulted. Glad to hear from you anytime. I love reading your posts.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Huh?

that has to be you - you've taken your swing and notice the progress of your ball.

warren0728
August 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM
how about this pedal to play with....less than $100....

DigiTech Artist Series XAS-EC Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Multi Effects Pedal (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Eric-Clapton-Crossroads-Guitar-Pedal?sku=150837&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26018401)

ww

Rocket
August 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM
that has to be you - you've taken your swing and notice the progress of your ball.
I've not played a single hole of golf... ever!

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM

DigiTech Artist Series XAS-EC Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Multi Effects Pedal (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Eric-Clapton-Crossroads-Guitar-Pedal?sku=150837&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26018401)

ww
Just strum in a earlier post suggested I google Clapton gear and I did and saw this Crossroads effects in some of my research. I'm going to have to go down to the Guitar Center and check it out.

Thanks for pointing it out. Have you ever used it?

warren0728
August 9th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for pointing it out. Have you ever used it?
i have not...but i like digitech products....good bang for the buck in my opinion....

sounded like a nice inexpensive place for you to start! :AOK:

ww

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM

I remember saying that about 10 years ago and stating I never even swung a club. First time out I swung the club about 18 times on the first hole. My score was like 148 and I cheated.

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM

ww

or this

http://www.discountgolfworld.com/productlines/tiger-woods-collection.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=nike%20tiger%20woods&utm_campaign=Nike&engine=adwords!8299&keyword=Tiger%20Woods%20Collection&match_type=

sumitomo
August 9th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Ah you guys forgot to tell the Wayner about the almighty Talent pedal!Sumi:D

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Thought about it, but then you have to go out and buy the practice pedal. One thing leads to another and then you are GASSING for the Famous Rock Star pedal.

The Wayner
August 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I do believe I could use one of those "talent" pedals. Where can I get one?;)

just strum
August 9th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I do believe I could use one of those "talent" pedals. Where can I get one?;)

A lot of us could use one. Actually I could use a few of them.

peachhead
August 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM
A lot of us could use one. Actually I could use a few of them.

I might already have one, I just don't know how to hook it up. :D

birv2
August 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Does anyone know what kind of pickups EC currently uses?

I'm a big Strat guy, but I may be the only one on the planet who thinks that Clapton's guitar playing and tone was better with Gibsons in the Cream era.

Bob

warren0728
August 10th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I'm a big Strat guy, but I may be the only one on the planet who thinks that Clapton's guitar playing and tone was better with Gibsons in the Cream era.
you're not alone bob! :AOK: i don't know his current pickup choice but i wish he would go back to his gibsons... :pancake:

ww

Blaze
August 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Check here :

http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/pdfs/gear/clapton_gear.pdf

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:mNTxWVIrLb0J:www.fenderplayersclub. com/pdfs/gear/clapton_gear.pdf+clapton+gear&hl=fr&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ca

birv2
August 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the link, Blazes. I remember reading somewhere that he uses noiseless pickups. I'm trying to decide whether to get a set, so I'm kinda curious.

To me, the best Clapton tone ever is on Disraeli Gears. I'm thinking Tales of Brave Ulysses, Sunshine of Your Love, etc. I suppose that's what is called his "woman tone".

And I say that as someone who loves Strats and doesn't play anything else.

I also thought it was interesting that, during solos, he's wishing he was playing some other guitar, regardless of which guitar he's playing!

Bob

warren0728
August 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM
yep....great tone on that album....here is an interesting tidbit i got of the web....not sure if it is true but if it is....man would i like to hear it!

"During the time they spent in New York recording Disraeli Gears the group had a chance to explore the city. On one of these nights, Eric jammed with B.B.King at the Café A Go Go. The entire session was recorded, but it has never been released!"

ww

ShortBuSX
August 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM
You know, Ive got a Tele, but I think youll be hard pressed to get a "Clapton tone" out of one...unless your going for his less popular Yardbirds tone.

A Tele will nail early Jimmy Page/Zeppelin all day long...but a Tele bridge cuts through way too much for Clapton. Maybe if you overdrived the neck???
Id say just about any Strat will get you in the ballpark...I think the ceramics kinda nail his tone but Im sure more expensive pickups might do better.

just strum
August 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM
you're not alone bob! :AOK: i don't know his current pickup choice but i wish he would go back to his gibsons... :pancake:

ww

djRAF_ph3TQ&feature=related

birv2
August 16th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Woohoo!

:dude:

Thanks for posting that, Strum.

GREENMACHINE
August 19th, 2008, 04:00 AM
djRAF_ph3TQ&feature=related

Man thats a cool lead tone, does anyone know how to get something similar to that? (Without a semi hollow body)

Cheers,
GREENMACHINE

Kazz
August 19th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Sorry to hear that Rocket....Golf is a great game if taken in the right context....never take it too seriously and go out and enjoy the grass and sunshine.

My best round ever was a 79 I shot at the Arnold Palmer designed Emerald Valley course in Creswell Oregon. 79 strokes for 18 holes on a very wet day....all carry no roll that day. I since have shot 2 other sub 80 rounds of golf and neither were as rewarding.

warren0728
August 19th, 2008, 07:53 AM
My best round ever was a 79
i shot a 79 once....on the front 9!! :thwap: :rotflmao:

i haven't touched my golf clubs in over 4 years....

ww

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I enjoy golf, and took lessons with my wife years ago before kids. Not enough time to pursue though, and I play maybe once a year to year and a half. I tend to golf the same score I bowl, somewhere 120 to 130 plus or minus. :thwap: :rotflmao:

ww

That and a MIM strat look like a good way to go. As to what he really used during different periods, looks like you are getting some advice here, and you can google around to find some other things to try. Warren's option with a strat though seems a good bet for trying to make those sounds on your own.

duhvoodooman
August 19th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I just have to pipe up here and say that, while that Clapton "Crossroads" pedal may have some cool sounds, (1) it is a digital modeler of a diverse mix of some of EC's most famous tones, and (2) please don't think that Clapton has ever used this pedal! Eric really isn't much of a pedal guy at all. Wah pedals, for sure, and occasional use of some others, but he mostly sticks to clean tones and distortion that he can get through the amp and guitar, particularly using that +20dB mid-boost circuit he has in his signature Strats.