PDA

View Full Version : Godin 5th avenue with Lollar P90

tot_Ou_tard
August 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
This could well be my next guitar:

CB Perkins in CA has added a Lollar P90 to the new Godin 5th Avenue archtop. Godin will release an version with a P90 called the 5th Avenue kingpin later this year. The Perkins version seems pretty dang cool!

http://cbperkins.blogspot.com/2008/07/godin-5th-avenue-wins-over-vintage.html

Robert Godin introducing the acoustic version at NAMM last January:

6-xpmjgZFSY

Robert
October 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Sweet! Godin makes some really, really nice stuff.

I wouldn't mind one of those electro-acoustic nylon string guitars.

The 5th Avenue guitars get rave reviews from what I've read.

tot_Ou_tard
November 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM
This is my Christmas present. I got it before the price went up.

It is sweet, sweet, sweet (I had to play it to make sure that it works).

It's a Godin 5th Avenue with a Lollar P90 at neck--similar to the Godin Kingpin which will have a Godin P90 there.

I don't have an acoustic guitar & this can get sweet acoustic tones through the P90 set clean (listen to the video clip by Bruno Labrie on the link below)

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuekingpinp.htm

(I could also put acoustic strings on it), but it can also go other places as well. Robert Godin gave it a more modern voicing than a traditional archtop. I'm currently playing fingerstyle country dirt blues with it. I've got 12s on it, but I am moving up to 13s to see how that feels. The guitar is vibrant, dynamic, & responsive. The top vibrates & breathes when it is played--I love the resonance gained by it's interaction with the sound from the amp.

It only took a little while to get used to playing it. I'm very happy.

sumitomo
November 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
That is a great guitar there Tot,I've been thinking of replacing my old takamine and that looks like it would fit the ticket.Sumi:D

cobalt
November 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Great guitar! it was on my short list but I went the Viking route.

Algonquin
November 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM
This is my Christmas present. I got it before the price went up.

Dang tot_Ou_tard, I was away when you posted this and I missed it completely!... Very, very nice indeed.

sunvalleylaw
November 11th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Wow, that looks like just an excellent guitar! Congrats and Merry Christmas!

tot_Ou_tard
November 12th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I find that the P90 is very sensitive to picking dynamics, picking location (I prefer it just over the pup), & pole piece height.

It's very balanced, articulate, & sweet guitar. I haven't tried to get it screaming, as I really don't know how to play that way yet. I'm looking forward to learning to play slide on it.

For you weight-obsessed folx the thing is a feather.

Algonquin
November 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I played the Godin 5th Avenue Archtop... what a stunning guitar. I can see what the hype is all about, it really was a piece of art. Non electric model though, and I think I'd want one with the electronics as well.

The version I played was priced at $499... still a good price for an excellent guitar. I can see why you are drawn to these. Wow!

M29
November 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Awesome tot! I can just hear the tone from here:AOK: Merry Christmas!

M

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
I'm happy to hear that you liked the 5th Avenue 'Gonq'.

aeolian
November 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
tot, so yours is a CB Perkins version with a Lollar P90? Do you know whose P90 is going in with the Godin version?

Algonquin
November 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM
Do you know whose P90 is going in with the Godin version?
The Godin site just lists it as a 'Godin Kingpin P90 single-coil pickup'

tot_Ou_tard
November 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Yup, Aeolian. Mine was modded by Erick at CB Perkins with a Lollar P90.

All I know about the P90 in the Kingpin is what 'Gonq' posted.

abraxas
November 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
I love this archtop. This is great tot!

I'd love to purchase an acoustic version and then install a Benedetto floating pickup on the neck... add volume/tone pots on the pickguard and an acoustic type pin-jack and you dont even have to drill anything!

tot_Ou_tard
November 24th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Have you played one yet Abraxas?

It's voiced slightly differently than a standard archtop, which I like as I plan on playing all types of genres on it.

abraxas
November 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Have you played one yet Abraxas?

It's voiced slightly differently than a standard archtop, which I like as I plan on playing all types of genres on it.

Unfortunately not my friend. Godin's dealer in Greece doesn't import all the models, although I believe we shall see one of those here in the near future. ;)

But from what I hear it's a wonderful instrument that carries on the Godin tradition of great but affortable guitars. And if you can keep the feedback on check you will probably be able to explore it's potential to the full. ;)

tot_Ou_tard
November 25th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I have no issue with feedback as I only play at home. In fact, I make sure to point the amp directly at the guitar & I stand close. I love the interaction of the guitar & the amp. It doesn't feedback that way, but it does breathe.

sumitomo
December 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Man I'm still G.A.S. in' for one of these,but I'm still up in the air pup or no pup?I like what Abraxas had to say about the Benedetto pup.There is also a piezo bridge.But I really like em' more all the time.tough choice.Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
December 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Great guitar! it was on my short list but I went the Viking route.
The Hagstrom Viking like Spud & Sunvalley? That is more of a 335-type guitar, this'un is much closer to an ES-125.

duhvoodooman
December 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM
How the heck did I miss this thread?? Nice guitar, Tot, and something you won't see everywhere. You have good taste, my friend! :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM
How the heck did I miss this thread?? Nice guitar, Tot, and something you won't see everywhere. You have good taste, my friend! :AOK:
Yeah, I'm extremely happy with it. Now if Santa would just get here ;).

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Man I'm still G.A.S. in' for one of these,but I'm still up in the air pup or no pup?I like what Abraxas had to say about the Benedetto pup.There is also a piezo bridge.But I really like em' more all the time.tough choice.Sumi:D

The Godins don't have a piezo.

You'll probably be happy either way. I played mine aucoustically & even with nickel strings & that big fat P90s on the top it sounds sweet. I'd be happy with the acoustic version.

sumitomo
December 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
What I meant was Fishman makes a piezo bridge,but I wouldn't go that rout.Kent Armstrong makes interesting pickups also.So It looks like I'll get the plain jane no pickup because I can add one later and there is a lot of choices.Now can you guess which one I'm going to get,color that is?Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
What I meant was Fishman makes a piezo bridge,but I wouldn't go that rout.Kent Armstrong makes interesting pickups also.So It looks like I'll get the plain jane no pickup because I can add one later and there is a lot of choices.Now can you guess which one I'm going to get,color that is?Sumi:D

Black. Mine is the cognac burst.

sumitomo
December 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Nope,I love that cognac burst.Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Nope,I love that cognac burst.Sumi:D
:AOK::AOK:We see eye-to-eye sumi. :AOK::AOK:

oldguy
December 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I missed this 'till now........tot, that is a beautiful instrument, and I agree, you have great taste.........that finish is 'specially nice!:beer:

tot_Ou_tard
December 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Some videos of the acoustic version. It wouldn't hurt him to smile.

WUpk7rQCQDU

The first video shows an Italian-Canadian dude.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuep.htm

German dude having fun

LYIF-eSgEOY

American dude having even more fun

oZdvScADMqk

French dude too immersed in mood lighting to have much fun.

9xTJ2eK16zM

Another Canadian dude, this'un shows some of the 5th Avenue's range outside of the jazz idiom, the guy himself seems a little dour.

mAmPBC1RfnI

tot_Ou_tard
December 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Honeymoon-time.

I've never played an archtop before, the thing has swing & groove.

It's got a strong fundamental tone. I love it so far.

I know that I said that I'd be happy with it w/o the pup, but the Lollar P90 is very-sweet indeed.

syo
December 25th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I hadn't seen this thread until now. What an incredibly cool guitar. Gassed enough that I immediately looked up the price. Amazing! I can't wait to try one out next month. Congrats and Merry Christmas!

tot_Ou_tard
December 26th, 2008, 07:24 AM
There are rumours (possibly unfounded) on the interwebs that Godin will be offering a cutaway version-maybe a two P90 model at some point.

I always like to see what they reveal at NAMM in January.

sumitomo
December 31st, 2008, 04:45 PM
I,m gunna wait until march and also look into the Hagstrom HL550 too.Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
January 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
New video review of the acoustic version. Mine is also a cognac burst.

G1AENDjlD2c

Mine has the same blusey feel, but with the added vibe of the P90.

Here's another by mojocaster. This one is sung in French.

FGpLcesPCKM

A country number (red River Road) by mojocaster:

NDh8CY2OpE0

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I'm still in love with this guitar. It's got a sproingy bounce that is a lot of fun to play. It really wants to groove & swing. it's kind of like playing percussion & guitar at the same time at least for the finger style blues that I am playing. The Lollar P90 is very sweet.

I just changed the strings for the first time. I wanted to condition the fretboard so i took off all the strings at once. I didn't want the floating bridge to move so I taped it down with low tack blue painters tape. That worked very well. the trapeze tailpiece caused me some trouble until I got the first string on as it falls off the guitar without string pressure.

I strung it with 13 flatwounds just to see how they sound. Very smooth strings. I need some more time to decide what I think about the sound.

sumitomo
March 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hey Tot have you checked out Rondo's SXNGG7 for 200.00 pretty cool and Rondo has a good return deal.Sumi:D

tjcurtin1
March 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
:AOK::AOK:We see eye-to-eye sumi. :AOK::AOK:
Shouldn't that be 'eye-stalk -to -eye'?

tot_Ou_tard
April 1st, 2009, 07:48 AM
Shouldn't that be 'eye-stalk -to -eye'?

Stalk? We have a hovering eye-sac.

Stalk...jeez how ugly can you get?

I hadn't seen that Rondo model Sumi.

New review of the Kingpin from Premiere Guitar. I play mine a bit dirtier than she does.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Apr/Godin_5th_Avenue_Kingpin_Review.aspx

tot_Ou_tard
December 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Here's a video comparing them
H8Q3vFKz3QM
I have a 5th Ave with a Lollar P90, but mine sounds similar for the style that he's playing.

Perfect Stranger
December 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Congrats.....and Merry Christmas! :AOK

tot_Ou_tard
December 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Congrats.....and Merry Christmas! :AOK
That was last year Stranger. this is an old thread, but thanks on the congrats.
;)