PDA

View Full Version : That annoying "HISS"

just strum
August 10th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Is the "hiss" inherent in tube amps or low watt tube amps? The Valve Jr is a great fit for playing in the room, but that his drives me nuts. I have the gain set at normal (boost only makes the hiss worse), volume most times isn't set past 3 (or 9 o'clock on this volume dial).

So, what causes "hiss" and can it be reduced and even better - eliminated?

duhvoodooman
August 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I think that it's more a matter of inexpensive amps being noisy than low wattage ones, per se. The PCB and overall layout designs often seem to be prone to hum & hiss. Tubes do generally have some inherent hiss, and single ended amps tend to be a bit noisier than push/pull. Cheap components have some effect, too, but there aren't many of those left in your particular Valve Jr!

There are some ideas about troubleshooting hiss HERE (http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/ampdebug.htm) at R.G. Keen's excellent website.

But you might want to try what I do--play a guitar through it. Hiss gone! ;) :D

warren0728
August 10th, 2008, 09:47 PM
But you might want to try what I do--play a guitar through it. Hiss gone!
+1 :beer: :rockon:

ww

Spudman
August 10th, 2008, 10:40 PM
+1 :beer: :rockon:

ww

+2

Are you running guitar>cord>amph? If you have anything else you might notice hiss. Just turn up and play. Who wants to listen to hiss?

dan P
August 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM
There was a problem with the first run amps in regard to what sounds like your trouble, I have and use three of them and never noticed anything bad comming out of the amp and use 1/12 ex. cabinets , Do you have the amp itself or a combo version?

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 04:24 PM
There was a problem with the first run amps in regard to what sounds like your trouble, I have and use three of them and never noticed anything bad comming out of the amp and use 1/12 ex. cabinets , Do you have the amp itself or a combo version?

It's a combo - it's a DVM mod, but the issue isn't the mod. It's just "hiss" annoys me, as does...

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
It's just "hiss" annoys me, as does...
hisssss :poke: hisssss :poke: hisssss :poke: hisssss :poke:

i'm just sayin' :rotflmao:

ww

dan P
August 11th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not up to date with your's and what you have done to it, if anything. I believe epi added a cap or two on the tranny input or output to filter line noise..from what I can remember on these, both first runs or version's had noise problems...that was later corrected....

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM

ww

...as does Warren:poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 04:50 PM
...as does Warren:poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:
then my job here is done...on to the next post! :poke: :pancake: :beer:

ww

Robert
August 11th, 2008, 04:51 PM
It might be that rattle snake living in the back of the Valve Jr!

http://www.matrifocus.com/LAM03/images/rattlesnake-opt.jpg

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM
It might be that rattle snake living in the back of the Valve Jr!

http://www.matrifocus.com/LAM03/images/rattlesnake-opt.jpg

Well, explains why when you shake it, it gets louder. It also explains DVM's no return policy.

For the record, my annoyance with the hiss is by no means a reflection on the fine work DVM does.

For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.:poke: :poke: :poke:

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
:bravo: i got myself a new sig! :bravo:

ww

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
:bravo: i got myself a new sig! :bravo:

ww

Boy, you can spot them.

TS808
August 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I don't think the hiss is just exclusive to the Valve Jr. The Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb is NOTORIOUS for that hiss (just read any of the harmony central reviews). With the Vibrolux, it has to do with something in the Vibrato circuit being wired to both channels, unlike the original. I've heard other tube amps with a hiss to them too.

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM

ww
+ 10000

My Fender Champion 600 makes some hiss, but I dont ever notice it anymore.

I recommend cranking up the amph to the point of hearing degradation.

Problem solved!