PDA

View Full Version : I succumbed to the sickness again

aeolian
August 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I got myself another guitar last week. It is a used Melancon Pro Artist. Here's some pictures:

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/mel1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/mel3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/mel6.jpg

hubberjub
August 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
How do you like it? My next planned guitar purchase is going to be a high end Strat style. I've looked into Suhrs mostly but the Melancons have caught my eye as well. It looks great.

sumitomo
August 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Oh my!!!!! now that's a sweeeet ride there:drool::drool:Tell us how you like it and how do you like those pups also.Congrats that is a beauty you have there.Sumi:D

marnold
August 11th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I am totally unfamiliar with that brand. Info?

Robert
August 11th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Never heard of that brand either. Must be good since it comes with Kinmans!

Good to hear you could not get well from the sickness... ;) Who are we kidding anyway?

street music
August 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Never heard of it?? It looks nice, but just how high end can a Strat difference become? I mean if it looks like a Strat and has the sounds , pickups, switch and pots, plays smooth what else can there be other than custom stuff.

aeolian
August 11th, 2008, 03:12 PM
There seems to be a lot of questions about the Melancon brand. I started hearing the name around the year 2000. Melancon is Gerard Melancon who buids guitars in Louisiana. Supposedly he has access to some of the best swamp ash from the bayou. His guitars are pretty much all custom and you can pick from a lot of options e.g. wood, pickups, etc. I believe he has been building guitars for about 10 years. I think for a year or two he actually had a couple of people working for him, but a year or two ago he decided he wanted to go back to building every guitar himself. As far as I can tell he has produce around 1500 guitars total.

I cannot possibly afford to custom order a Melancon guitar. I ran across this one quite by accident and just could not resist.

I've only had the guitar a few days. So far I've cleaned it up, reset intonation, adjusted pickup heights, and adjusted saddle height on a couple of strings. Not sure that I'm quite there yet with tweaking it to my personal liking, but last night when I played it a little it sounded very good through my Swart AST amp.

You can check out Melancon at http://www.melanconguitars.com

Robert
August 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Must not come cheap those things! I dare not even ask how much they go for. :eek:

aeolian
August 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Yes, even used this is definitely a splurge (and my wife told me so in no uncertain terms). Consider that a set of Kinmans new cost as much as some of my guitars.

luvmyshiner
August 11th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Very nice Aeolian! Congrats.

marnold
August 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I didn't even catch that those were Kinmans originally.

Is this the point in the thread where we begin whining for clips?

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Yoweee! Sweet Melancon there Aeolian!
Melancon -> Swart

Sounds like it'd be heaven.

peachhead
August 11th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Wow, that is sweet- Congrats!

M29
August 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM
That is nice aeolian:AOK: It looks like the neck is quartersawn. If so, once you get familiar with it see if the neck has any uniqueness to it. I would be interested in how that neck feels and plays.
Very nice indeed fellow Fretter:rockon:

M29

wingsdad
August 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Wow, that is 'Strat-o-Spheric' :AOK:
(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)
Saw your post in the GLDP on this...congrats on a superb axe :bravo:

Bloozcat
August 12th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Nice guitar, from a top notch builder, aeolian! :AOK:

I'll bet she's a real player...

Although I don't see it listed on his web site any longer, he used to be one of the few who offered guitar bodies made from cypress. My friend Pat at Resurrection Guitars still uses cypress, and the tonal qualities are really unique.

tot_Ou_tard
August 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Wow, that is 'Strat-o-Spheric' :AOK:
(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

A beauty of a Stratovarius!

scgmhawk
August 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
very nice!:AOK:

Algonquin
August 12th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Clips!... Yup, clips would be good.
:AOK:

Childbride
August 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM
oooohhh... pretty!

congrats! :D

Brian Krashpad
August 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Wow congrats!

Unlike a lot of peeps here, I had heard of Malancon prior to this thread. Unfortunately it was filed in the "never will be able to afford" batch of manufacturers. :(

And with Kinmans!

stingx
August 14th, 2008, 06:31 PM
One guitar to rule them all...

Just badass. Congrats! :beer:

Katastrophe
August 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Seriously cool guitar, especially with the Kinmans.

I was like Brian. I'd heard of Melancon before, but they're WAY out of my range cost wise.

You did good by posting pics. Now ya have to post a clip!

aeolian
August 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I've been out of town visiting family for the last few days; I came back and saw a bunch of responses. I guess I'm not the only one excited about this guitar.

This Pro Artist is as basic a Melencon as there is, coupled with being used and at a good price is how I can afford to get it.

All my previous recordings have been done through a J-Station amp simulator. I previously tried recording an actual amp with a microphone but did not get a very good sound. I would like to do some sound clips recording a real amp, but I will have to play around with mic placement and stuff before I can get decent results. When I do I'll put something together for you to hear. In the meantime, patience.