PDA

View Full Version : Midnight blues redux

helliott
August 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
This is an arrangement I tried some time ago, but my new Vox Tonelab has made the melody more appealing, at least to me. See what you think.

http://www.box.net/shared/c5jnt5vuql

GREENMACHINE
August 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Hey Helliot,
Man thats nice!!! Really smooth, I wish I could play like that, what scales did you use?

Cheers,
Cav

M29
August 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM
That sounds great helliott, nice tone, feeling and phrasing. Sweet:AOK:

M29

aeolian
August 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Very nice ambling blues tune played perfectly! I put it on repeat and listen to it for a long while without getting tired of it.

I thought the track sounded too bassy for me. When I record I usually apply a high pass filter and start to filter down everything below about 125 Hz. You may want to try that and see if you prefer it that way. It may not be right for you because my ears are going to hear things differently than yours.

Spudman
August 12th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Yes, a tad heavy on the low end...but...some really wonderful playing. I liked that quite a bit. You nailed some very blue notes in there and I applaud your restraint and taste. :bravo:

helliott
August 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks, guys. Good ideas here, which I will explore as I continue to try and make it better.

Justaguyin_nc
August 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM
The tonelab does your playing well..

Your fingers, does your guitar well..

great licks here... really enjoyed it..

helliott
August 14th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Sorry to ignore your question Green Machine. I'm pretty stupid about scales and stuff, but believe it's mostly Am pentatonic, slipping into the C major scale a la Clapton. The jazz chord change is a mystery to me. I recall it's just a chromatic kind of walk. Sorry I can't help more.

GREENMACHINE
August 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Hey there Helliot,
Thats not problem, thanks for that, its funny because I use pentatonics quite a bit but I can't get them sound like you do!

Cheers,
GREENMACHINE

333maxwell
August 31st, 2008, 11:38 AM
This is an arrangement I tried some time ago, but my new Vox Tonelab has made the melody more appealing, at least to me. See what you think.

http://www.box.net/shared/c5jnt5vuql
Ya baby.. totaly digging this one for the third time in so many minutes..

Time for some vocals.. harp.. break it up.. classic material.. classic tones (tone lab sounds great, too bad it is not as good as the playing) .. own it!