PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone into MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) ?

LagrangeCalvert
August 12th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I'm a huge fan, and I view it as way more than a blood sport. Whats your alls opinion's on this? Who is your favorite fighter(s)? What was your favorite fight?

My favorite Fighters are Chuck Liddell and Andrei Arlovski (the PITUBULL)

I think MMA is better than boxing in the sense there are less head injuries due to fight stoppage IF you do not intelligently defend yourself - no "rope - a - dope" here. Also there are less serious injuries than football AND boxing combined.

In the early days of MMA it was pretty brutal, but so was other major contact sports. Look up the number of people who DIED from early football.

Kazz
August 12th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I too am a huge UFC fan...not so much the other organizations altho I am paying attention to Affliction since Tito Ortiz signed on...

My current favorite fighter is a close tie between Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell.....for the up and comers I really like Nate Diaz and respect Matt Hamil for taking up this sport and being completely deaf.

My favorite fighter of all time....well that is easy.....Royce (pronounced Hoyce for those who are not fans of the sport) Gracie.

I have not watched the fights from this past weekend yet....or even went back and watched the Forrest Griffin Rampage Jackson fight yet...I know the results so don't worry about spoiling them for me....just have not had the time to watch and analyze yet.

So there are at least 2 fans of UFC on this forum. Nice to know there is a fellow fan here.

t_ross33
August 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
+1 :bravo: Count me in!

As a more "classical" martial artist back in the day (Goju Ryu Karate-do), I watched the early MMA bouts with great interest to see how the various styles and disciplines worked out (caveat: depends more on the practitioner than his chosen "art"). Very interesting how the sport has evolved from a technical standpoint - and it is a very, very technical sport make no mistake.

My issue is MMA schools offering full contact classes to kids. I don't think that's appropriate (for lots of reasons).

Might be brutal to watch, but so is synchronized swimming ;)

Rocket
August 12th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Look up the number of people who DIED from early football.
Really... how many?
Where would one look that up?

R_of_G
August 12th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Count one more MMA fan among your numbers. I've only gotten into watching it over the last 6 months or so, but I'm hooked. I find it a LOT more interesting than boxing. As for favorite guys to watch, it's been fun watching Urijah Faber. That kid is so ridiculously quick and fun to watch.

piebaldpython
August 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I enjoy watching the MMA stuff, I don't know or care about "organizations". It's about as close as you can get to a "street" fight. ahaha These guys are in tremendous shape and there's a lot involved with punches, kicks, throws, ground fighting, etc.
My background includes ju-jitsu and Filipino stick-and-knife fighting. aha

LagrangeCalvert
August 12th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Really... how many?
Where would one look that up?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Has_anyone_ever_been_killed_playing_football

Squireman131
August 12th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I enjoy kimbo slice... atleast the videos of his street brawling... although he is a street brawler. But hes not actually a martial artist.

AdamM
August 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm a big MMA fan too.

anyone fancy making some predictions for UFC88?

Here are mine that I posted in an off topic thread on a different forum I use...

Chuck Liddell v Rashad Evans.
was Supposed to be Chuck v Rua a couple of months ago, Rua got injured so Evans stepped in late, but then Chuck got injured in training. Hope and expect to see Chuck destroy Evans before getting a shot at the title in the new year.

Rich Franklin v Matt Hamill.
Having seen Silva make light work of Franklin twice, it's easy to forget how good Franklin is. Franklin Should win easily.

Karo Parisyan v Yoshiyuki Yoshida
As always I'll be hoping Parisyan gets his arrogant *** handed to him, but I don't know enough about Yoshida to back it. He submitted Jon Koppenhaver in his UFC debut but Parisyan is a different league. Hope I'm wrong ut Parisyan win

Dan Henderson v Rousimar Palhares
On paper Palhares is 5" shorter than Henderson. Saying that, I've stood next to Dan Henderson and there's no way in the world he's 6'1". doubt he's more than 5'10". even so, I'd expect a dominant performance from Henderson and a win.

Kampmann v Marquart
what a great sounding fight. going to go for Kampmann, purely because he's on the better run at the minute but this should be a war.

Thiago Tavares to beat Kurt Pellegrino
Tim Boetsch to beat James Lee (look out for the huge front kicks)
Dong Hyun Kim to beat Matt Brown (over rated in TUF I thought)
Ryo Chonan to beat Roan Carniero
Jason Day to beat Jason Lambert