PDA

View Full Version : BOSS GE-7 EQ pedal

kipper
August 12th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Anyone on here using this pedal? Any opinions on it? Anyone know where I can find any useful settings info on it?

I ask because I've ordered one today, admittedly on a bit of a whim, but it seems an EQ pedal is very much a "must have" item and should actually be the first pedal you buy (that's what I'll tell the wife when it turns up anyway!)

I plan to use it in the FX loop of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I currently use a Boss ME-50 MFX unit straight into the amp so I figured the FX loop route for the GE-7 would be the better option (unless anyone might wish to correct me on that).

wingsdad
August 12th, 2008, 07:47 AM
If you're going guitar -> ME-50 -> amp & you put the EQ pedal it in the amp's FX loop, you'll be using it to shape the amp's sound after the ME-50 processed signal. You can already do that with your amp's EQ controls.

On the other hand, If you go guitar -> EQ pedal -> ME-50 -> amp you'll have control over shaping the guitar's tone before the ME-50's FX. It's like adding a fine tuner to your guitar's tone circuit; you can fatten or take a bit of the shrill edges off your Strat's bridge pup and give it more of a humbucker tone, jack the hi-mids to get more 'quack' out of the Strat in postions 2 & 4, or thin out an overly bassy, muddy neck pup. The ME-50's 'Tone Modify' function is the first in it's quasi-pedalboard setup, so it's practically serving the same purpose, but it's very limited because it's just a bunch of presets. The EQ pedal is a much, much better means to that end. Just as you can bypass that by leaving it off, you could do the same with the EQ pedal ahead of the ME-50.

BTW: I use an MXR 10-band EQ -> ME-50 -> amp. And a Strat has been my #1 go-to axe for years.

If you ever get the chance, you'll also find the EQ pedal is a great tool to use with a bass or acoustic/electric.

kipper
August 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM
If you're going guitar -> ME-50 -> amp & you put the EQ pedal it in the amp's FX loop, you'll be using it to shape the amp's sound after the ME-50 processed signal. You can already do that with your amp's EQ controls.

On the other hand, If you go guitar -> EQ pedal -> ME-50 -> amp you'll have control over shaping the guitar's tone before the ME-50's FX. It's like adding a fine tuner to your guitar's tone circuit; you can fatten or take a bit of the shrill edges off your Strat's bridge pup and give it more of a humbucker tone, jack the hi-mids to get more 'quack' out of the Strat in postions 2 & 4, or thin out an overly bassy, muddy neck pup. The ME-50's 'Tone Modify' function is the first in it's quasi-pedalboard setup, so it's practically serving the same purpose, but it's very limited because it's just a bunch of presets. The EQ pedal is a much, much better means to that end. Just as you can bypass that by leaving it off, you could do the same with the EQ pedal ahead of the ME-50.

BTW: I use an MXR 10-band EQ -> ME-50 -> amp. And a Strat has been my #1 go-to axe for years.

If you ever get the chance, you'll also find the EQ pedal is a great tool to use with a bass or acoustic/electric.

Wow! Thanks for a VERY informative and useful post wingsdad. I didn't realise that the pedal could have such a big impact pre-ME50. That's awesome. I can't wait until it arrives to try it out the way you suggest.

As it happens I did look at the MXR 10 band but went for the Boss mainly because it's smaller and I really don't have much space to play with.

Your response has prompted me to raise one question: if I connect in this manner...

Strat -> GE7 -> ME50 -> Hot Rod Deluxe

What type of cable should I use to connect the EQ pedal to the ME50?

They will be located quite close by, like less than two feet apart. It's hard to find guitar cables less than 5ft. Would a 2ft patch cable do the job?

Tone2TheBone
August 12th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I just recently sold one to Algonquin ask him how he likes it. It's a great pedal.

Spudman
August 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM

+1
Great advice.

wingsdad
August 12th, 2008, 09:56 PM
... if I connect in this manner...

Strat -> GE7 -> ME50 -> Hot Rod Deluxe

What type of cable should I use to connect the EQ pedal to the ME50?

They will be located quite close by, like less than two feet apart. It's hard to find guitar cables less than 5ft. Would a 2ft patch cable do the job?

Any good guitar cable will do, the shorter the better because the longer a cable is, the more it attenuates the signal going through it (decreases the strength, in terms of dB - decibels). I've got a formula for it someplace that computes dB loss per foot of cable...but...that's getting way too anal about it. :thwap: You'll be fine with a 6-12' cable.

One more tip: start with your Strat's tone pots 'dimed' and the EQ pedal set to 'flat' -- all 7 of the bands in the middle, '0' position. Then work at the pedal, cutting or boosting 'from the center mid freq out', one band at a time, and not radical moves. Dashes & pinches, not globs. Experiment.

Then, when you find a setting you seem happy with, fiddle with the Strat's tone pots, depending on which pup position you're in. More fine tuning of your tone.

All of that said, and nothing about where to set the amp's EQ? I like to start as close to what my 'main clean' tone is, and then call 'Dr. Tonemonger'.

My MXR EQ, by the way, is ancient... mid 70's blue box, ac power but no on/off bypass switch. I don't even worry about bypassing it. If it ever dies (which it probably won't since I abused it for years) I'd go for the new model...besides the switch, it's got a pre and post gains.

Kazz
August 13th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I have one....collecting dust like all my other electric equipment....

Gutmann
August 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
As the GE-7 increases hum noises sometimes (mine did) I'd prefer a MXR 6 or 10-band-EQ.

If you want to use the pedal as a gainboost, put it in front of the overdriving unit, if you want it as a sound shaping tool, put in the amps serial FX-loop. Here you also can use it perfectly as a volume-boost for leadguitar.

Greets Uli

Algonquin
August 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I've picked one up recently (Thanks T2TB!) and like it very much. I run it through the effects loop as some others have mentioned, and it's very quiet. Works well as a boost pedal, but I basically bought it to use for recording. It works great with a Tele when you want to reshape your sound.

Can't say anything bad about it... I've had great luck with all Boss units.

Enjoy your new purchase,
Cheers :beer:

kipper
August 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone...much appreciated. I received the pedal today, just waiting for some extra cables to arrive so I can try it out. I'll experiment with it in different parts of the signal chain and see how I get on with it.

I also found this rather interesting link for GE-7 settings:

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/eq/view-predistortion-eq-settings.html

:rockon: