PDA

View Full Version : RP-50 signal boost?

tjcurtin1
August 12th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I was using my RP-50 pedal with the ad30vt and noticed that it's volume setting could significantly increase the input to the amp, raising the volume over and above what the amp can do without it. As a result, it sounded like it was creating more distortion (in a good way) but is there anything to be concerned about here? Is this what a 'boost' pedal does?

Anyone have any suggestions about using an RP pedal between the guitar and amp with the ad30vt? In particular, anything to avoid?

Thxs!

Robert
August 12th, 2008, 09:01 PM
That's what a boost pedal does, but I don't recommend boosting the signal too much the the AD30VT. It works great for tube amps, but digital amps are not built to handle a very hot signal coming in, so strange things may happen. I don't think you need to do this with this amp anyway.

Same for the RP50. You can experiment with it, it won't hurt anything unless you have too much volume going into the Vox. I would say learn the Vox first. It's got 11 models and a bunch of effects. That should keep you busy for a while!

marnold
August 12th, 2008, 10:32 PM
If I may take a contrary position, I've had good luck hitting the AD30VT with the level on my OD dimed to push the UK70s model over the edge. Does it sound the same as a tube ampf? Heck if I know, but I like it.

Spudman
August 12th, 2008, 11:21 PM
If I may take a contrary position, I've had good luck hitting the AD30VT with the level on my OD dimed to push the UK70s model over the edge. Does it sound the same as a tube ampf? Heck if I know, but I like it.

That's what I'd say too. If it sounds good and the amp isn't catching on fire then rock the snot out of it. Great sounds have been discovered by not following traditional thinking. Yet on the other hand some amps got fried along the way.:o