PDA

View Full Version : Crate amp blowout

Spudman
August 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM
18 watt all tube for less than a buck and a half
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=1571798

and the rest
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/crate-amplifiers-speakers-footswitches-tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503+201228

Robert
August 13th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Man, the deals are GREAT on a CRATE (excuse the pun)! :)

This a good price for that 33 watt head I tried - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V33H-33W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=487052
It has a very good clean channel tone.

This is also supposed to a really great amp - Blue Voodoo - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=481046X

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Any opinions about the 5 watter vs. the 18 for my boy Spud?

Sblack
August 13th, 2008, 01:55 PM
18 watt all tube for less than a buck and a half
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=1571798

and the rest
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/crate-amplifiers-speakers-footswitches-tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503+201228
Aw, c'mon, Spud! I just bought a G-Dec 30 this morning. Now my wallet is throbbing. And $149.00 for that 18 watt 112 is unheard of!:drool:

If you buy the V5 for $99.00 you can use the "sv10" ($10 off) code and get the amp for $89.00 and free shipping. :AOK:

Spudman
August 13th, 2008, 01:57 PM
It's super hard to not dive in to some of these. Must resist.

Spudman
August 13th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Go for the 18 watter.

ShortBuSX
August 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
That 5 watter got a terrible review on MF...I was thinking the same thing.
But that 18 watter is gonna be hard to pass up:thwap:

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Whaddya think about the 18 all tube vs. waiting for a Vyper for the boy? The Vyper sounds like it will be a cool swiss army knife, and will include a lot of other stuff he needs to account for the higher price I will pay, but this is a nice deal.

Robert
August 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I would guess the Vypyr with be better for the boy. More variety of sounds and swiss army features, which is probably what a kid wants!

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I would guess the Vypyr with be better for the boy. More variety of sounds and swiss army features, which is probably what a kid wants!

That is the way I am leaning, and it has a built in looper and tuner, etc., along with all the effects and sounds he can play with. I have a tube amph and don't need another at this point.

Good deal for someone wanting to get into a decent tube amph though! I would jump if I did not already have my C-30 for sure!

Rocket
August 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Says, "Available: 32 days". MF selling stuff they don't have... again!
Bet that price goes up once they have stock?

just strum
August 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Money is tight and I have to pay for the acoustic yet. Got some big bills heading my way soon, have to do some work on the car, have to start painting some rooms soon.

Sorry, just typing to myself.

Spud, damn you!!!

Spudman
August 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Money is tight and I have to pay for the acoustic yet. Got some big bills heading my way soon, have to do some work on the car, have to start painting some rooms soon.

Sorry, just typing to myself.

Spud, damn you!!!

THIS IS A GUITAR FORUM - NOT AN EXCUSE FORUM.:)

Sblack
August 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I am leary when MF says they are "availible in 32 days" for a blowout item. They had them in stock about two hours ago. I assume they are sold out, and there most likely won't be any more coming in to MF stock. That V18 for $149 was an incredible price! If you used the "SV10" code ($10 off), you could have gotten it for $139.00. That's like giving it away. But they are gone now -- phew.

just strum
August 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I am leary when MF says they are "availible in 32 days" for a blowout item. They had them in stock about two hours ago. I assume they are sold out, and there most likely won't be any more coming in to MF stock. That V18 for $149 was an incredible price! If you used the "SV10" code ($10 off), you could have gotten it for $139.00. That's like giving it away. But they are gone now -- phew.

What's this "SV10" code?

just strum
August 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Ok, I'll ask - If you order at the advertised price and they accept the order, how does the price go up?

TS808
August 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM

I'd also second the opinion to go with the Vypyr. First, 18 watts is pretty loud, and it's pretty much a single channel amp. I think the Vypyr will cover more styles of music from country clean, to blues grind, to all out distorted rock.

I'm really starting to like digital over tube...more versatility, fewer problems, no need to restock tubes, plus they sound good at all volume levels.

just strum
August 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
In stock

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-V-Series-V18-112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-487051-i1322756.gc

Tone2TheBone
August 13th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Somebody buy one the suspense is killing me.

Tibernius
August 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM

I'd buy the 18 watt one, it works out at £75 which is less than I paid for the Harley Benton.
But then I'd have to pay postage, import taxes, VAT, replace the OT with one that can handle 240v... :(

just strum
August 13th, 2008, 04:54 PM

I want to pull the trigger, but this knife to my throat is making it difficult.

just strum
August 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
anyone have a guitar center coupon code they are not going to use? PM me.

Edit: I had everything filled out and the billing work pops up and there's a TAX!!! WTF, I'm not paying tax - stopped before finalizing - no deal.

warren0728
August 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
i think if they have a store in your state you have to pay tax.... :confused:

ww

just strum
August 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
i think if they have a store in your state you have to pay tax.... :confused:

ww

Stupid GC.

Don't like tax and don't like shipping cost. Why can't these people get it through their thick heads they are in business to please ME!!!

ET335
August 13th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I want to pull the trigger, but this knife to my throat is making it difficult.

Well I did pull the trigger,but I hid all the knives first:D
got it for 139.99 with the 10.00 coupon code...not a bad deal for an amp like that,I just couldn't control myself:thwap: Thanks Spud for fueling the Gas:D
We will see if I get it after 32 day's

Duff
August 14th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Not to stoke the fire, but I talked to the regional Peavey rep at a local store yesterday and he said the Generation EX series is being discontinued.

I have a triple single, like you. I also have the Generation Vintage EX, the Keith Richards configuration with the bucker in the neck and the tele pup in the bridge. This guitar sounds OUTSTANDING. I would consider getting one before they are gone, or any other EX you have been thinking of.

I would say they will become collectors items due to quality, tone, and vibe.

These amps look good too. I have a V8 Palamino and it is an outstanding little amp. I like the 18 watt 2 by 12.

Duffy

Kazz
August 14th, 2008, 04:57 AM
What's this "SV10" code?

Coupon code to save $10 bucks Strum.....tell me you really do not purchase things on the net without looking for a coupon code first :-)

Duff
August 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
These look like nice items. The V50 is a class AB and is supposed to sound like an American amp. Whatever that means.

The two twelve cab looks like a nice eight ohm item as well. I could use that with my HRD as an extension cab and it is a great deal.

I wonder why the V series is being discounted so deeply? The speakers in the cab are not specified. I wonder if they are any good?

Duffy

ET335
August 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Duff I have the V18 1-12 on order and not sure when it will arrive or if it ever will,Knowing how MF is when they discontinue some of their items.
I hope they don't cancel it,but we'll see:D
I need an amp like this,so I thought I would order it and give it a try,I mean what tha hell... for a 139 bucks it can't be all that bad.
All the reviews that I have read have been pretty positive,so when or if it doe's arrive I will check it out and give a review on it.
Hopefully soon!:D

TS808
August 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Why the drastic price drop? Are these amps being discontinued? The 18-watt models are relatively new...they just came out not too long ago, maybe a year or two ago. I've noticed on ebay that some retailers have lowered the price too.

ShortBuSX
August 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Why the drastic price drop? Are these amps being discontinued? The 18-watt models are relatively new...they just came out not too long ago, maybe a year or two ago. I've noticed on ebay that some retailers have lowered the price too.

I think the price drop is because these amps have been getting beaten up in reviews and forums, in comparison to the Palomino line, mainly for the fact that they are made in Asia...I think the price drop will garner them better reviews and MORE of them.
Arent these amps almost identical to the Palomino line????
Ive got a buddy whos a BIG Crate fan, so IM always hearin about them...and hes always trying to sway me in thier dirrection.

TS808
August 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I think the price drop is because these amps have been getting beaten up in reviews and forums, in comparison to the Palomino line, mainly for the fact that they are made in Asia...I think the price drop will garner them better reviews and MORE of them.
Arent these amps almost identical to the Palomino line????
Ive got a buddy whos a BIG Crate fan, so IM always hearin about them...and hes always trying to sway me in thier dirrection.
The Palomino's are awesome amps...I wound up returning one though because the pots were all scratchy and it was just way too loud (the V32). It was an excellent amp, but it was the GC floor model, complete with scratchy pots.

Crate puts out a pretty good amp these days, even the solid state versions. Crate in general gets a bad rap because of a past history of putting out sub-par amps. The Palomino series and some of their solid states are excellent, but still, I think alot of folks just hesitate to go with a Crate, and opt for a Fender or Marshall first.

Jimi75
August 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Honestly, I never in my life heard a good sounding crate amp.

Spudman
August 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM
If you listened to Mark Knopfler around 93-95 he was using the Vintage Club series amps then which won some industry award too.

just strum
August 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Due 9/15 - get your orders in.

ShortBuSX
August 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Alot of people say "they nail that British sound for very lil cash"...they seem to have a cult like following.

TS808
August 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM
The Crate Vintage Club series amps were excellent in my opinion, and the Palominos were surprisingly good too.

Duff
August 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I, also, have heard a lot of good sounding Crates. My teacher has an old crate, probably from the 80's, solid state, about 30 watts or so, that sounds really good, especially the ss drive channel. Super great smooth distortion without a pedal.

You just have to listen to each amp and instrument and come to your conclusions.

I think the stereotype that Crate carries with some people is a really hard thing to overcome; something like Squire guitars. Even though the Squires are sounding very good lately, the stigma still carries some weight in some corners.

I hope I get in on one of those deeply discounted amps.

Duffy

ShortBuSX
August 26th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I, also, have heard a lot of good sounding Crates. My teacher has an old crate, probably from the 80's, solid state, about 30 watts or so, that sounds really good, especially the ss drive channel. Super great smooth distortion without a pedal.

I think I actually own that same amp...and am selling in Craigslist as we speak:thwap:

Is this the one?
http://images.craigslist.org/010100011606010412200808259874f67f79ba1fa6b900677d .jpg
Even though its solid state, that was a great amp...and very reliable...but also USA made.

Tone2TheBone
August 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Or maybe it was one like this...

I bought one (actually my mother bought it for me cause I was a young kid) when I first started playing guitar back in the late 70s. It had a new function then called "gain".

Katastrophe
August 26th, 2008, 10:03 AM
The Crate blowout sounds like a great deal. If I had the cash I'd go after the 18 watter or the 33 watter...

I've been playing on Crate solid state amphs since about '93 or '94, when I downsized from my MIDI setup. With a little patience, they can be tweaked on the clean channel for a great, sparkly clean tone.

The Overdrive and Solo channels are perfect for metalheads that want that saturated, ultra high gain sound, but lack the budget for pricier tube amphs. In fact, when I purchased my last Crate about 5 years ago, it was because a buddy of mine and I were trying to play hard rock/metal type music, and it was well suited for that purpose.

Brian Krashpad
August 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Including the tube amps of the last 10 years or so? Because the reports I see are all pretty positive. Fwiw, I have a solid state bass amph (I think the tube/ss dichotomy is less important for bass) head that sounds good and has been very reliable. One of my prior bandmates had an old Fender bass tube head and actually used to borrow the Crate for our shows.

Duff
August 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
It looks a lot like ShortBuSX's picture. Might be the same one. I'll find out. He likes it a lot and says it's loud. Don't know if he gigs with it though, because he plays bass in his main band and plugs into the PA that his partner has when he plays a Cort guitar in a duet.

Duffy

sumitomo
August 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
If you listened to Mark Knopfler around 93-95 he was using the Vintage Club series amps then which won some industry award too.

But Mark Knopfler could play plugged into an empty toliet paper tube and it would sound good too.Sumi:D

bigoldron
September 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM

I'm not the best player in the world, not even good, but I like the way my Crates have sounded. I've owned several and am still playing a GLX65 for my everyday amp and when I play at church. I've got an older GLH1200 head and a Crate 4x12 cabinet that totally blows me away when I need a lot more volume. The head was acting up a little, so a buddy of mine went through and resoldered a bunch of joints and it really cooks now! :AOK:

BTW, ever heard of a guy named Billy Gibbons? The good Reverend can play whatever he wants, but he's playing the V Series Crates. Joe Walsh, Sammy Hagar and lots of others play Crates also, so there must be something to them. :dude:

WackyT
September 2nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Caved in and ordered a V18-112 last night from MF. Just couldn't pass it up. :dude:

Spudman
September 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Caved in and ordered a V18-112 last night from MF. Just couldn't pass it up. :dude:

Did you get the extra 15% off too?
You are going to have to fill us in as soon as it arrives.

WackyT
September 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Did you get the extra 15% off too?
You are going to have to fill us in as soon as it arrives.

Yup. Used the SV10 coupon and got the $10 off. Just checked status and it's Backordered. Hopefully they get them in before the 15th.

Ro3b
September 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM
WackyT, you might want to give MF a call and check on the status of your order.

I noticed last week that the v18-112s were in stock according to MF's website, but I got email this morning saying I'd been put on a 30-day backorder. So I called their customer service, and they basically said, oops, our mistake, and they're shipping my amp out today.

WackyT
September 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Ro3b. Just checked my order status, and it's been being packed since the 4th. The Customer Service rep just put it on a master ship list, and it should ship today or tomorrow.

just strum
September 9th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Ro3b. Just checked my order status, and it's been being packed since the 4th. The Customer Service rep just put it on a master ship list, and it should ship today or tomorrow.

Give us a quick rundown of your thoughts on it when it arrives.

scgmhawk
September 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I'm curious to hear what you think too, Wacky. MF is now out of stock again. Those prices are VERY tempting!

ET335
September 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Just received the V18 112 today at 12:30 by Roadway truck...Details later tonight:D

scgmhawk
September 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Can't wait to hear because samash.com still has a few in stock last I checked.

WackyT
September 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Just received the V18 112 today at 12:30 by Roadway truck...Details later tonight:D

Mine's supposedly on it way via Roadway also. But MF customer service is unable to find any details on it with the tracking number they have. Hopefully they aren't just pulling my leg.

just strum
September 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Doesn't Roadway just have the big over the road semi's? Hate to have that pulling up in from of my house for that little amp. I would think Roadway would be expensive.

stingx
September 11th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I seriously doubt these can be anywhere near as good as the V series Palomino line. I should have snagged a V32 when they were blowing them out but, then again, no ext cab out and I already have my C30.

I could see someone like voodoo buying this as it's a great price for a modding platform, especially if you happen to have a great speaker laying around to replace the stock one.

You crazy guys have to stop getting all excited over every cheap item that gets blown out on clearance. :rotflmao:

Remember, ever tree cut down to make a cheap guitar or cabinet for a cheap amp makes the baby Jesus cry.

just strum
September 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Remember, every tree cut down to make a cheap guitar or cabinet for a cheap amp makes the baby Jesus cry.

Note to self - every tree cut down...

Ro3b
September 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Well, I learned two things today.

1. The oddball nine-digit tracking number that MF sent me is a Roadway number. MF sometimes uses Roadway for big heavy items instead of FedEx or UPS.

2. For residential delivery, Roadway contracts delivery out to smaller carriers. My amp has been in Baltimore for the last two days, and will finally be delivered to me by Safeway Delivery during an as-yet-unspecified three-hour window on Monday. And I'll have to be home when it comes, otherwise I'll be charged for another delivery.

What a hassle. I was really hoping I'd have this thing before the weekend.

ShortBuSX
September 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Well, I learned two things today.

#3...have everything delivered to your work address.
During business hours youll be there, if not somebody else will sign for you...almost nobody delivers on weekends, so youll never miss it.
AND as a bonus, the ol lady will only find out when youre ready for her to find out.:AOK:

warren0728
September 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
During business hours youll be there, if not somebody else will sign for you...almost nobody delivers on weekends, so youll never miss it.
AND as a bonus, the ol lady will only find out when youre ready for her to find out.:AOK:
hmmmmm....my work address is my home address....but then again i don't have an ol lady either.... :thwap:

ww

ShortBuSX
September 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM
hmmmmm....but then again i don't have an ol lady either.... :thwap:

Oh yeah...yer the one with the shorts? Right?:poke: :pancake:

Dude, as much money as youre saving, not having one, you should feel no GAS pains.:rockon:

warren0728
September 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Oh yeah...yer the one with the shorts? Right?:poke: :pancake:
you think it could be the shorts? :thwap: :whatever: i thought the babes really digged them! :rotflmao:

Dude, as much money as youre saving, not having one, you should feel no GAS pains.:rockon:
i do have a 9 and 11 year old though so my gas still gets put on the back burner sometimes....

ww

ET335
September 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Well first of all the delivery:thwap:.the Roadway driver called me yesterday about 12:15 and said there was no way he could deliver the amp:flamemad: [of course not he was driving a 55 ft. rig:confused: ]why?.. I don't know and didn't ask,I just wanted my amp...so we arranged to meet at the main highway at the entrance to my street.fortunately he had just enough room to the side of the road to park that thing,so I pick up the amp and head back home:AOK:

I was hoping to post this last night ,but was babysitting grandson and of course he comes first:D

So here is my review of this amp...first it was packed extremely well,double boxed, and no rips or tears or mashed up carton:AOK: more than likely I could not say the same for UPS or Fedx .[from past experience]

I proceed to unpack the amp and was not expecting to see such a really nice amp,[very nice indeed]...this amp is very well built and not a flaw anywhere on it,very nicely constructed with plywood.[no MDF crap]

I first tried out the peavey triple single and then the Schecter with HB,both guitars sounded very good through this amp, a lot of low end to this amp,which I like and can be tamed down with the amps EQ or even a seperate pedal Eq... takes pedals very well also and has a nice crunch to it but does not have a lot of clean headroom...the breakup starts early as you turn up the gain and volume,but that isn't bad.. sounds good to me and I like it:D no it is not a marshall or any other fancy booteek amp,but is a very good amp for the price and can be modded if you want to change the sound.
Speaker,tubes and so on.Vood or tung would probably like this amp for modding,I think this amp would be a great modding amp considering the price.

this is a very good amp in my opinion...good for small clubs and great for practice and very nicely built....I like it and am not disappointed whatsoever.

Hope this helps to those considering buying one:D

Edit....ooops forgot to say it's very loud:D

just strum
September 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Sending an item to a business saves money too. If the sender notes that destination is a business, then it's cheaper. When I sell stuff, I send from work and encourage the buyer to have it shipped to their place of work. It is a nice reduction in cost.

Spudman
September 13th, 2008, 12:38 AM
So here is my review of this amp...

So which model did you get?

ET335
September 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM
So which model did you get?

It is the V18-112

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00418.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00421.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00429.jpg

I set all my pedals up with this amp last night in this order...DD3 delay-BD2-Bad Monkey-GE7 EQ-Arion Chorus and it is even better with the pedals hooked up.
it sounds great with these pedals and it isn't bad at all on its own.I really like this Amp,it is a Great deal for the price I paid 139.95 ,and built very solid:beer:

WackyT
September 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hopefully get my V18-112 on Monday! :drool:

How does the speaker sound, ET335? That's the one weakness I've heard about these?

ET335
September 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Hopefully get my V18-112 on Monday! :drool:

How does the speaker sound, ET335? That's the one weakness I've heard about these?

WackyT it sounds fine to me right now,it even sounds much better with all the pedals going into it,if something happens to the speaker later and it doesn't sound right...well I'll just get a better one:D I really think you will like it though.
Also looks like a great amp to mod out if you decide to do so,It sounds great to me for now ,so I am leaving it the way it is. I have thought a lot about getting another one:eek: :eek: [Nah I didn't say that did I]? :D

OH! by the way this is the new MF delivery service

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00414.jpg
:rotflmao:

WackyT
September 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM
My amp was supposedly shipped out last Wednesday, and I just called MF for a status update. They checked with Roadway, and they have no record of this shipment. I seriously feel that some Roadway trucker or MF warehouse guy absconded with my amp.:(

Duff
September 16th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I know how you feel like you are being ripped off.

I have a lot of equipment and just put a padlock on my den where most of my stuff is and keep the house locked. I'm very worried about getting the house robbed. I live in the country.

I'm planning to get a rider on my homeowners' ins. for 15 dollars I can get about five thousand worth of actual coverage. No deductible with the rider. That's 15 dollars a year. You can get the same rider on renters' insurance.

When I get this rider I will relax a little.

Duff

Ro3b
September 16th, 2008, 07:08 AM
So WackyT, I assume Musician's Friend is going to do the decent thing and FedEx you another amp? It sucks mightily when something goes wrong like this.

I got mine yesterday, and I'm liking it very much. I hope you'll be seeing yours soon.

Spudman
September 16th, 2008, 09:03 AM
My amp was supposedly shipped out last Wednesday, and I just called MF for a status update. They checked with Roadway, and they have no record of this shipment. I seriously feel that some Roadway trucker or MF warehouse guy absconded with my amp.:(

If you've been charged by MF then they either shipped it or didn't. If they didn't then they will get you what you paid for. If it did get shipped it will either show up or it can be tracked. If Roadway received a shipping manifest then the amp should be on it. A driver would have a hard time explaining what happened to it because they have to check each manifest. It would be very difficult for an MF employee to abscond with it too. Besides, why would they? A Bogner, Marshall or Egnator would be a better choice to risk going to jail over.

Don't worry you'll get your amph.:AOK:

WackyT
September 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Looks like I gotta wait until Oct 1st before MF (perfect name for this waste of a company) will even do anything.

ET335
September 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Man that really sucks WackyT....what now?:confused:

sunvalleylaw
September 22nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Huh? And the charge shows on your card? That does not seem like effective customer service.

WackyT
September 23rd, 2008, 06:39 AM
Huh? And the charge shows on your card? That does not seem like effective customer service.

Yup. They charged my card on the 10th.

Spudman
September 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM
If it possibly got delivered to the wrong address then the Roadway driver has a signature from the recipient and the date it was delivered or if nobody was at the address he mistakenly delivered it to then he had to sign off on it. Contact Roadway and tell them what is going on. Did MF issue a shipping # via email or something? If so then it should be able to be traced.

WackyT
September 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Roadway doesn't have any sign of this shipment what so ever. I've got my local Roadway agent on the lookout for it.

richey88
September 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'd buy the 18 watt one, it works out at £75 which is less than I paid for the Harley Benton.
But then I'd have to pay postage, import taxes, VAT, replace the OT with one that can handle 240v... :(

You should buy the 18 watter if you can find it. IMO it's the best buck and a half spent on an amp (for me anyway). Sorry if anyone who wanted one missed the boat.

Franklin Mills PA Sam Ash had a couple when I asked for a buddy earlier this week......Here is the slightly modded V18 112 unmiked at my gig last night.....some SRV:http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6925065
Popa Chubby (PRS SE Soapbar II) : http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6925053

Not the finest recording, just a vocal feed from the board, and condenser mic on the room. no instruments miked, but I was asked to turn down!! Not bad for 18w. Pardon the playing we're just a biker/bar band. Fun though!

Duff
September 28th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Liked the song, rowdy for sure. Hey, rock out. The babe part sounds exciting; but, as they tell me: no pictures, "it didn't happen"! LOL.

The amp doesn't come thru real well but you can hear it in he mix.

You are happy with it though and thats what matters.

Is yours one of these new, marked down ones, or an earlier version?

I almost picked one up and still might, but based one some reviews that indicated some of these new discounted ones aren't up to the regular runs, I shied away. Has to be some reason they are marked SO FAR DOWN.

I picked up a used very mint Squire affinity P bass, don't laugh, it's nice and is going to be "real nice", like my "Black Pearl" affinity strat some of my friends are drooling over. The P bass is gloss black and GC has an aged white shell or pearl pickguard that would look really good against that black, especially with a set of SD quarter pounders in it. For two hundred dollars I don't think I could find as nice a bass very easily.

And I also just picked up a Squire affinity J bass new that sounds sweet, super good build quality with a really nice straight grained neck. I play this into my new Marshall MB30 practice amp that has manual adjustable compression and two channels, clean and drive and I use a Zoom B.1u; woops, now I'll have to post some clips in addition to the pictures.

This I should put some new pickups on but it sounds great now. I can't imagine how good it will sound with some custom shop sixty something J bass pickups, or some SD quarter pounders.

My P bass is destined go probably get a set of P bass quarter pounders or I might break weak and put in a set of the guitar fetish hot P bass ones but they don't cost that much less. Probably be quarter pounders. Then I'll work on the J bass.

That Crate eighteen still looks like a great amp and it is supposed to have some bite to it: hearing "Pride and Joy" thru it shows that it has some bite.

Sounded good dude, despite just the field mic type recording. Real good, considering. It was neat to hear the whole band.

Duffy

Ro3b
September 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
FWIW, from what I've been reading on the Telecaster forum (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/123654-crate-v18-reverb-mod.html), the godawful reverb on the V18 is due to the cheap two-spring reverb tank. Replacing the stock tank with an Accutronics 4EB2C1B should make everything better. I'm looking forward to trying this.

richey88
September 28th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks Duffy! If you go to the other songs on my SC page, "Shocking" is all V18 too. Other things there with the Crate also. Home studio stuff (I have a TASCAM DP01).

The Squier SQ is the 2nd line of axes that were MIJ. Really feels like a '69 Fender. I dig a lot of their stuff (I'm poor). That's why I rave about the V18 as it's a great value. It got mine at a local Sam Ash and had to have them check their own website to match the $149 price. I ended up trading a pedal and 96$ for it. A few swapped parts lying around the house and it's a killer! I'm not sure what run it was from. :rockon:

Bilsdragon
October 6th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I jumped in last week and ordered a V18-112 over at MF. I really like the tone with my LP. Over the weekend I cranked her up a little while the Mrs. wasn't home and had a hard time not smiling for a while. I then ran up the street to my local g.a.s store (Pro Line Music) and had Don match the MF deal on a DS-1. Now I really can't wait for the used Monte Allum Tube Screamer I bought arrives. The only down side I've seen so far is that the cabinet is huge for a 1x12. I figured they used the same cab for the 2x12, but nope, that cab is a little bigger yet.

WackyT
October 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Finally! Got my 112 today! On the first, I had MF send me out another unit since the first one fell into a black hole somewhere. She was waiting for me at the front door of my apartment when I got home from work today. I did have time to un-Crate her, plug her in, and test her. I'll have more time tomorrow to test her out.

Spudman
October 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Yea! :bravo:

richey88
October 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I jumped in last week and ordered a V18-112 over at MF. I really like the tone with my LP. Over the weekend I cranked her up a little while the Mrs. wasn't home and had a hard time not smiling for a while. I then ran up the street to my local g.a.s store (Pro Line Music) and had Don match the MF deal on a DS-1. Now I really can't wait for the used Monte Allum Tube Screamer I bought arrives. The only down side I've seen so far is that the cabinet is huge for a 1x12. I figured they used the same cab for the 2x12, but nope, that cab is a little bigger yet.

Wow ! I have a Pro-Line down the street......Failess Hills PA where r u??

Robert
October 6th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I finally tried one. I liked it a lot better than the V33. A great small tube amp for peanuts. I would have bought one if I didn't already have an 18 watter.

sunvalleylaw
October 6th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Finally! Got my 112 today! On the first, I had MF send me out another unit since the first one fell into a black hole somewhere. She was waiting for me at the front door of my apartment when I got home from work today. I did have time to un-Crate her, plug her in, and test her. I'll have more time tomorrow to test her out.

Great news! I was just fretting about what had happened to your amph today when this thread saw some new activity. Glad to hear they got you one delivered.

Bilsdragon
October 7th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Wow ! I have a Pro-Line down the street......Failess Hills PA where r u??

It's the same one Richy. I live in Vermilion Hills right down the steet. My son takes guitar lessons with Jake on Thursday nights at the store. :dude: :bravo:

ET335
October 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM

That's great WackyT!! Glad to hear you finally got it.:D I know it took them long enough:thwap:

WackyT
October 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys for thinking about me in this shipping dilemma. :beer: I'm glad I decided to ask MF to ship me another unit instead of asking for a refund. This is a really nice amp! I fooled around on it for a few hours today. One observation I see is with the guitar directly plugged in, both the Samick (LP copy w/ h'buckers) and the Strat with vintage GFS singles, she is "dark". With a clean boost, my modded DS-1 in clean boost mode, she "brightens" up quite a bit and still stays clean. Is this "darkness" due to the first 12AX7 not being driven hard enough?

Also, ordered 3 Tung Sol 12AX7 and a pair of JJ EL84 tubes for her. From some reading today these sound like a good combination for her.

Found this video today showing how to access the tubes on these amps, and it works great! My amp is fully populated with Sovtek tubes from the factory. The V18 doesn't have the cage around the EL84 tubes though.

qb-TbLjgC5c

These don't have a big power transformer, so it must have a switched power supply, ala computer power supply, inside the chassis.

richey88
October 8th, 2008, 05:23 AM
It's the same one Richy. I live in Vermilion Hills right down the steet. My son takes guitar lessons with Jake on Thursday nights at the store. :dude:

Hey Neighbor!