PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Acoustics DR 100 and PR 150

F4DPhantomII
August 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM
What are the differences?Which is the better deal?I want a sunburst finish.

F4DPhantomII
August 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM
No one has one?

Rocket
August 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
DR - All laminate
PR - Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides

Better deal depends on how you plan to use it. For only $10 difference I'd opt for the PR.

warren0728
August 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
i've never seen or played either so i can't really help you...just googled both and they seem pretty similar....one link said the "150" designation meant it was a guitar center only model....maybe one is discontinued or something....

ww

just strum
August 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
removed for tone content

warren0728
August 14th, 2008, 04:30 PM
DR - All laminate
PR - Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides

Better deal depends on how you plan to use it. For only $10 difference I'd opt for the PR.
i thought their body construction was the same....didn't see any mention of laminate on the epiphone website....but then again i didn't do a lot of digging...i had work to do...

ww

F4DPhantomII
August 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I have looked around on Yahoo and Harmony Central for information and wasn't asking for someone to do my legwork as Just Strum mentioned.All I can say is thanks for any help and no help.I won't bother you anymore with my stupid questions!

evenkeel
August 14th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Phantom,
Maybe this might help you.

I do not own an Epiphone, but have played a bunch of them in the usual big box stores. The upper end of the Epiphone line, the Masterbilts, I like a lot. Terrific guitars. The lower end I find to be passable, not awful, but nothing to get real excited about.

I would caution against buying an all lam guitar, particularly w/o playing it first. Some are ok, most are not. If you can spring for the extra $$ a solid wood top will, 99 times out of a hundred, be a better sounding guitar.

So, to Rockets point for an extra $10, go with the PR.

Finally, I'll add a very personal proviso. With Gibson/Epiphone I sometimes find the neck shape awkard. Feels like a club in my hand. Other times they feel great. Have never figured out which models, why, etc.. So, once again the obvious, play it before you buy it, if you can.

just strum
August 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM
removed for tone content

M29
August 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Hello,

F4DPhantomII is a friend of mine and is a brand new guitar player. He did not understand the difference between laminates and solid spruce and mahogany and a few other things. He does not put much stock in the Harmony Central reviews, he thought he could maybe get a Fret.Net review or some advice if someone around here has ever had one or played one or maybe knew someone that had any views on them.

Thank you all for your time and help
M29

Rocket
August 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I've had solid wood Epiphones as well as laminates... they both have their places. If you are looking for an all-weather player, go with the lam... no worries with all lams.
I would strongly suggest going to a guitar store and playing everything you can... buy what feels best to YOU.
Note: I am VERY impressed with Epiphone's Masterbilts... well worth every extra dollar it costs.

F4DPhantomII
August 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Well My friend M29 and I went to the local Flint MI Guitar Center and looked at the Epiphone AJ-1,DR100,AJ 200 and PR150 and concluded they are all the same wood wise,except the AJ 200, laminate spruce top and mahogany neck and bottom.The AJ 200 had binding on the neck by the fretboard.But for the sound the PR 150 for $129.99 was the best of the 4 we looked at and will the one I buy.Thanks for all the comments from all.