PDA

View Full Version : Pentatonic + BB Box

M29
August 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Hello,

Ok I was curious what is the best way to do this or is both ways okay?

Lets say we have an A minor Pentatonic scale going on and as we go up the scale and slide up to the second position (BB Box) (9th fret, 3rd string) so to speak, do you slide up with your third finger or your second finger, one or the other at any given time? I currently use my third finger but the second finger puts you in the perfect position to go into the BB Box.

Your thoughts? Thank you for your help.

M29

Robert
August 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM
It depends on what l'm playing, what idea, phrase or lick I'm doing. Do what seems most natural. The more you play, the more natural it will become. I never even think about what fingers to use, I just play. Only time I think of what fingers to use is when I'm trying to play some complicated fusion idea or show-off sweep thing.

M29
August 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Okay so I can use either. I think Clapton uses his second finger, not that that matters because he is Clapton but I thought I seen him use it. Most I see use their third finger.

Thanks Robert, I will start incorporating my second finger too:D

M29

Katastrophe
August 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Robert has it right. Just do what comes naturally. I don't think about which finger I'm using, either, but I do remember it was difficult learning to use my pinky when playing.

Steve206
August 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I just wanted to check with you guys on something,,,,

I have seen clapton play and he is the only guitar player that I have noticed that sticks his index finger into the air, above the fretboard, while doing other things with his other fingers. I always wondered about that??

Steve

wingsdad
August 14th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I have seen clapton play and he is the only guitar player that I have noticed that sticks his index finger into the air, above the fretboard, while doing other things with his other fingers. I always wondered about that??
Assuming in standard rather than an open tuning, I instinctively grab the first position open E chord with my 2-3-4 (pinky) fingers instead of the 'textbook' 1-2-3. This 'locks into memory' that chord shape to be moved up the neck faster with precision for barre or open-voice chords. So, to turn it into an A chord, that shape slides up and I just lay down the index finger behind it across the board at fret V for full barre, or just finger the 2nd string at fret V for more of an 'open' A with the 1st & 6th strings sounding E's rather than A's. (this method translates itself well to Open tunings that have roots on those strings, too, like DADGAD, particularly when playing in that open tuning's root key) Consequently, I've come to use my 2-3-4 fingers more instinctively for runs & such as well, with the index finger sort of a 'free agent position guide' to the root.

Jipes
August 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Hello,

Ok I was curious what is the best way to do this or is both ways okay?

Lets say we have an A minor Pentatonic scale going on and as we go up the scale and slide up to the second position (BB Box) (9th fret, 3rd string) so to speak, do you slide up with your third finger or your second finger, one or the other at any given time? I currently use my third finger but the second finger puts you in the perfect position to go into the BB Box.

Your thoughts? Thank you for your help.

M29

Most of the time I reach the BB Box with my second finger on the G string that's what seems more natural to me and allow me to use my pinky for some great extended note on the 12th fret