PDA

View Full Version : newb hello and a strat question

Bilsdragon
August 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Hey folks, just a newb checking in. I've been lurking for a while and it seems like there are plenty of good people here. :D

I have and 07 mim strat that i just ordered wilkinson locking tuners for and was wondering if anyone has gone that route. I got them from Guitar Fetish and they are the type that have two holes in the post. If so, did the new hardware just drop right in or did you have to mod the holes in the headstock a bit? Thanks, Bill

just strum
August 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum. I can't help you on the tuners, but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Beware of things that go hiss.

warren0728
August 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM
welcome bilsdragon....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

TS808
August 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
More than likely you will have to modify the holes in the back of the headstock.

peachhead
August 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Can't answer your question but I can tell you welcome to the Fret. :D

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Welcome! Nice to have you here. Folks with more knowledge than I possess will be around to help you with the tuners. You may want to do a separate post in the "Mods, Projects . . ." portion of the Fret. Nice, anyhow, to make your acquaintance!

Bilsdragon
August 14th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome. :rockon: :beer:

I guess I'll have an answer to my question over the weekend. I'm going to sacrafice a string to see how one fits.

luvmyshiner
August 14th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Welcome to the Fret!

Bilsdragon
October 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM
The answer to my question about the Wilkinson is tuners is that they fit perfectly in a mim strat headstock. Just be sure to make pilot holes deep enough so that the additional screw that keeps the tuners from turning doesn't bind or shear off. I used a pin vise and put a piece of tape on the bit to set the depth. The tuners work great and the guitar really stays in tune. (I'm not Joe whammy bar, mostly normal playing and string bends)

just strum
October 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
How about some pics?

Duff
October 26th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I put them on a couple guitars and like them.

They are, however, no where near as nice as the Fender locking tuners, made by schaller I think. They are way nicer and way more expensive at 90 dollars, but they work nice and look classy.

I suppose if you learn how to string the Wilkinsons really well you can avoid that loop at the oppositional string holes. I always have some loop between the holes that is not tight up against the pole; after I go thru the second hole the top one loosens up or something. They work really good though. I'll have to get better at it.

Welcome.

Duffy

Did you try powdered graphite on the nut under the strings and on the saddles? Some people like the GFS stainless steel solid saddles instead of the bent metal stock ones, as well. I like the solid stainless steel saddles best.

GFS also has out a new all steel block and tremolo for MIM Fender strats for like thirty something dollars. It is supposed to be good compared to the stock zinc one. I haven't done that yet on any of mine but people say it works good and drops right in.

Bilsdragon
October 27th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Hey Duff, I too have to get better at stringing the wilkinsons. They do work great but I experienced the same thing as you did.

Since I swapped the tuners I have added the stainless solid saddles as well. The guitar really is starting to feel and sound great. I really like how smooth the solid saddles feel while playing and it may be my imagination, but I think the tone is a little deeper.
I think sometime after 04(since my buddy's 04 mim has the smaller trem block) the mims went to the larger trem block like the one my guitar came with. I don't know if it's zinc, but it's more meaty than the one that my 02 mim is wearing. I'll have to take some pictures to post.

Spudman
October 27th, 2008, 10:12 AM
The answer to my question about the Wilkinson is tuners is that they fit perfectly in a mim strat headstock. Just be sure to make pilot holes deep enough so that the additional screw that keeps the tuners from turning doesn't bind or shear off. I used a pin vise and put a piece of tape on the bit to set the depth. The tuners work great and the guitar really stays in tune. (I'm not Joe whammy bar, mostly normal playing and string bends)

Good to know. I've got a sweet little MIM that can use some upgrades. Welcome to thefret.