PDA

View Full Version : Shuggie Otis

sumitomo
August 14th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Never heard you guys mention him.I have always liked his playing and wished I could have seen him play.Sumi:D

Jipes
August 14th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Never heard you guys mention him.I have always liked his playing and wished I could have seen him play.Sumi:D

I know very little of his work, I heard couple of tunes where he plays in his father band but that's all he seems a very talented player do you have any recommandation for records ?

R_of_G
August 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I really only know him from his bass-playing on Zappa's "Peaches En Regalia" but I'm open to suggestions of other works of his to give a listen...

sumitomo
August 14th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I never knew he played bass for Zappa.The album I have is Suggie Otis plays the blues,and alot the the stuff recorded he was 15 yrs old,I heard he retired from playing at 22 yrs. old but great stuff if you can find it.Sumi:D

evenkeel
August 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Boy, there is a name I've not heard in years. Good guitar player.

Check out his work on "Kooper Sessions, Al Kooper Introduces Shuggie Otis". Good stuff for a teenager!!

Shuggie's dad Johnnie Otis was a pretty good R&B guy.

sumitomo
August 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Yep! I saw Jonnie Otis at a Long Beach Blues Event in the mid 90's,also Pop Staples was there and Otis Rush.I was askin' around back then what ha
happened to Shuggie but no one could give me an answer.Sumi:D