PDA

View Full Version : GFS trem block on a Fully strat

tjcurtin1
August 15th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Just put the GFS trem block in my Fully strat.

First, the fit: it matches the trem hole in the bridge fine, so you don't need to buy the package with new bridge and saddles - just the trem arm.

Assembly- measure the spacing of your saddles before you remove them, or count turns of the screwdriver while removing so that you don't have to reintonate.

** CAREFUL! When mounting the bridge plate to the new block, be careful. The 3 screws from the Fully DO fit the holes on the block, even tho they look too big, BUT - they can be tight. One of them went right in with a little 3-in-one oil, but the next one was tight and unfortunately, I broke the head off while making the last turn of the screwdriver... (decided I could live with it rather than try to bore it out, since it seemed firmly attached with 2 screws). Having learned my lesson, I kept working the last screw (tightest of all) back and forwards (well oiled) as I put it in and slowly worked it home.

Back side trem cover: the GFS block is about half an inch longer (deeper) than the original, so the plastic cover sits right on the trem springs. I figured that this was sure to cause problems (buzzing, vibration) or to negatively affect the sound, so I left the cover off.

RESULTS:
I have to admit, I was fully expecting not to be able to notice the difference when I plugged in, and at first, I was right - then I remembered that I had to put strings back on... (just joking:D, but you know me...). I just figured that it would be one of those 'fine tunings' that only an experienced player would notice, but figured that for $20. I'd give it a try.

I was really amazed by the results - it sounded as if I had put a new set of pickups in! (I had put GFS vintage alnicos in when I bought the guitar). I could actually even hear the difference unplugged, in the way the body resonated when strummed. The tone is much fuller (there had been a thin, slightly metallic tone before) and clearer across all of the strings - much more ba**sy and commanding. It's half again the guitar it was before - an amazing improvement for $20.!

Rocket
August 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
What's a fully strat? Opposite of empty strat?

tjcurtin1
August 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
It's the famous (around here anyway) Fullerton, a $35 Music123/MF sell-out wonder guitar of a year or so ago. Robert has clips on Dolphin Street and there are a number of posts about them here on the Fret.

sunvalleylaw
August 15th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Rocket: here you go:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957

EDIT: TJ, that is great news that it works. I may do the same to mine. I kinda like the idea of leaving the back cover off on that guitar.

marnold
August 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Cool! Glad you like the improvement. Hard to beat $20 for a big improvement.

M29
August 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
tjcurtin1 that sounds great! Good to keep moving that screw back and forth with lots of oil. I love the difference a steel block makes. Much more solid and better definition and at 20 dollas you can't beat it:rockon:

M29

Bloozcat
August 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM
If it ain't steel, it ain't real...:D

A must have for any Strat type guitar, IMHO. There is most definitely a difference between the cast block and a steel one. A guitar would have to be resonantly dead for a steel block not to have a positive impact on the tone.

duhvoodooman
August 18th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Geez, thanks a LOT, Ted! Now here's another worthwhile mod I have to do!! :thwap: ;)