PDA

View Full Version : Pinky on body or not?

tot_Ou_tard
August 16th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I never anchor my picking hand to the guitar with my pinky. My hand floats whether I am playing fingerstyle or with a pick.

Actually, my arm near the wrist rests a bit on the back of the bridge.

Is this bad form?

Should I work on anchoring my pinky? I just find it easier to play with my hand free.

Katastrophe
August 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM
If it's comfortable for you to keep your hand floating, keep doing that. I anchor my pinky sometimes and I find that it ends up restricting movement.

If you can do all you need to do without anchoring the pinky, then don't worry about it...:AOK:

Rocket
August 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
No robots... everybody's different. It's what makes us all unique & individual humans.
Play however YOU feel most comfortable.

tot_Ou_tard
August 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
If it's comfortable for you to keep your hand floating, keep doing that. I anchor my pinky sometimes and I find that it ends up restricting movement.

If you can do all you need to do without anchoring the pinky, then don't worry about it...:AOK:
Yeah, I found that anchoring the pinky retricted movement & so I never adapted it.

I guess my real question was whether it was useful to be comfortable anchoring the pinky for some types of moves or for speed or tone or what have you.

No robots... everybody's different. It's what makes us all unique & individual humans.
Play however YOU feel most comfortable.
Thanks for the encouragement Rocket, but how do you know that I'm not a robot?

Come to think of it, how do you know that robots play with their pinky anchored to the guitar?

I'll bet fancy-pants robots play with their multi-jointed pinkies placed ever so tastefully in the air.