PDA

View Full Version : String Cleaner and Lubricant

just strum
August 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I recall people talking about products like these, but never paid it much attention.

Anyone have any comments regarding this type of product?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastFret/

tot_Ou_tard
August 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Some love it some hate it.

I'm of the former camp.

I sweat like crazy & using fast fret after playing helps extend the life of my strings.

Another thing you can do is occaisionaly wipe the strings down with lighter fluid, it brings'em right back to life.

I use Snake Oil strings & they last great that way for a very, very long time.

ShootTheGlass
August 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Im the same, I love Fast Fret. A stick of it lasts ages, so even if its only helping a little, its not a lot of cash spent for prolonging the life of strings.

Did I mention its also the best smell in the world?

ShortBuSX
August 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I used to snicker at these products, reminds me too much of "Finger Ease"...but then somebody convenced me to buy a can bout 3 months ago...and now I couldnt imagine living without it!
This is nothing like "Finger Ease" at all...this product actually cleans and lubes the strings helping them to last much longer. Gets rid of finger crud and that "not so fresh feeling" that strings can get after a couple of weeks.
Turns out its just "white mineral oil", which I think just means mineral oil, but the applicator is cool(useful) and it also comes with a rag for cleaning the underside of the strings.
I quit using Elixers after bought my first can of FastFret and switched to Daddarios, they seem to last just as long if I(remember to) use FastFret after each session of playing.

Well worth the price of admission, get some, youll be glad you did...especially if you have multiple guitars!!! :AOK:

How did I miss this? *runs out of room....*
*...runs back in* Smells like books, kinda like a dictionary:confused:

just strum
August 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Well I purchased that along with some strings and fretboard conditioner. The nice thing about Sweetwater - the prices are competitive and you can get these inexpensive items with free shipping. Since I am close to them I usually get the package in one or two days.

Plank_Spanker
August 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I'm a Fast Fret junkie and won't play without it. I can't stand the clammy feel of the strings when it's already hot, humid and I'm clammy.

Fast Fret doesn't blast lubricant on your fret board - you wipe the strings with applicator and wipe off the excess with the supplied cloth.

No muss, no fuss.....................

tot_Ou_tard
August 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm a Fast Fret junkie

I think that ShootTheGlass is the real junkie:

peachhead
August 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I'm guessing from the comments that this is much better than Dunlop string conditioner?

Robert
August 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I use Dr Stringfellow string lubricant, but I tend to forget I have it... I guess I don't really need it that bad, but it does take some dirt off the strings.

Spudman
August 17th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes.
https://www.shopatron.com/index/574.0.56.16140.0.0.0

Jimi75
August 18th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I usually never use such products and never wipe the strings after playing.
Luckily my hand swaet is not very agressive so my string enjoy a long life :rotflmao:

ShootTheGlass
August 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I think that ShootTheGlass is the real junkie:

Guilty your honour :(

My guitar teacher recalled how a student he once had could ruin a set of strings in 2hours light playing, his fingers were so sweaty when he played. I dread to think what the pH of his digits were, wouldnt have liked to shake hands with him!