PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Storm Fay

just strum
August 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Just curious, any of our Florida fretters concerned about Tropical Storm Fay? I'm not familiar enough with Florida and all of your locations, but as I was reading the news reports on the web I started to wonder about you folks.

If your guitars, I mean if you and your family need a place to stay, PM me for my address.

Rocket
August 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Looks like just a rainmaker for us... if anything more, we (and our trailer full of guitars & amps,) will be headed for friends in GA.

R_of_G
August 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
If it comes to Tampa it'll create lots of flooding issues and probably knock out the power for awhile. I doubt it will do much physical damage as the winds prob won't get that bad but even a heavy rain storm creates flooding issues when you live at sea level.

bigoldron
August 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Looks like just a rainmaker for us... if anything more, we (and our trailer full of guitars & amps,) will be headed for friends in GA.

Welcome to Georgia, Rocket! I'm sure ya'll will be OK here. We could use the rain.

BTW, if you need somewhere to store your guitars, just give me a buzz. I'm only 100 miles west of I-75! :D

warren0728
August 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
If it comes to Tampa it'll create lots of flooding issues and probably knock out the power for awhile. I doubt it will do much physical damage as the winds prob won't get that bad but even a heavy rain storm creates flooding issues when you live at sea level.
same here...expecting lots of rain and some wind...but my major concern is losing power (which will probably happen)...looks like our schools will probably be closed on tuesday....

ww

Rocket
August 17th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Welcome to Georgia, Rocket! I'm sure ya'll will be OK here. We could use the rain.

BTW, if you need somewhere to store your guitars, just give me a buzz. I'm only 100 miles west of I-75! :D
Thanks Ron... but looks like you're gonna get it after it's done with us. We've got friends up in Woodbine (King's Bay). We've got it worked out that if we need to bail, we go to them and vice-versa.

R_of_G
August 18th, 2008, 07:15 AM
same here...expecting lots of rain and some wind...but my major concern is losing power (which will probably happen)...looks like our schools will probably be closed on tuesday....

ww

I can't imagine that the power won't go out at some point. If it rains for a few hours here the power goes out. In 2004 (the year of the four hurricanes in one month) we lost our power when Frances came through and that was the weakest of the four. It was just a lot of rain and almost no wind but we lost our power for four days. If we lived in a house I would purchase a generator, but living in an apartment pretty much takes that out of play as there is no place I can really run it, nor do I have the authority to go messing with the wiring and stuff here. I just hope TECO (our power company) has their act together this year and can fix the outages a little more rapidly. We shall see sometime in the next 2.5 days I suppose.

Bloozcat
August 18th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Well, IF the current track holds, the storm will make landfall at Ft. Myers as a minimal hurricane and my area will be on the edge of the 39 mph wind field. A slight shift to the east, and we're still in the 39 mph wind field. A slight shift to the west and we drop into the 23 mph wind field. So, no matter what, we're looking at some stiff winds and a bunch of rain.

Now, watching the local media and even the Weather Channel, you'd think this was the second coming of Hurricane Andrew. I believe in being prepared; I have to be at work and I am certainly at home. But, over-hyping the event only causes people who are on edge already, to go into a panic.

The best scenario would be for this storm to lose some of it's wind speed, and then drift up over Alabama and Georgia right on into Tennessee where they need rain so desperately. But, I don't think that's likely to happen the way things are looking.

warren0728
August 18th, 2008, 08:18 AM
yeah...the news loves this kind of stuff....looks like we will get lots of wind and rain...but the main concern will be the tornado's that are spawned by the storm...i'm sure we will lose power....i'm in a condo and my neighbor a couple of doors down has a generator...and i have my camping equipment (propane cook stove and such) so i'm set....lots of batteries and a cool device that uses aa batteries to charge my cell phone and ipod!

got some good single malt scotch too...so i'm prepared!

ww

ShortBuSX
August 18th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Nothing more than a Florida snow day.
Probably get the day off from work, string up the acoustic with new strings, drink some beer and wait for the power to go out.

I can't imagine that the power won't go out at some point. If it rains for a few hours here the power goes out. In 2004 (the year of the four hurricanes in one month) we lost our power when Frances came through and that was the weakest of the four. It was just a lot of rain and almost no wind but we lost our power for four days. If we lived in a house I would purchase a generator, but living in an apartment pretty much takes that out of play as there is no place I can really run it, nor do I have the authority to go messing with the wiring and stuff here. I just hope TECO (our power company) has their act together this year and can fix the outages a little more rapidly. We shall see sometime in the next 2.5 days I suppose.

Up until that point I dont recall ever losing power during ANY hurricane season since the 70s(hurricane David?) for any length of time for more than 30 minutes....every now and again the cable would go out for short periods of time.

Bloozcat
August 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Nothing more than a Florida snow day.
Probably get the day off from work, string up the acoustic with new strings, drink some beer and wait for the power to go out.

Up until that point I dont recall ever losing power during ANY hurricane season since the 70s(hurricane David?) for any length of time for more than 30 minutes....every now and again the cable would go out for short periods of time.

We had three direct hits - as in the eye overhead - for Francis, Jean, and Wilma...all within a 13 month period. Of those, Wilma was the least destructive, and only because it came through fast and did not linger like the other two did.

We're in one of those fortunate spots when it comes to the power. We're on the same feeder as the water treatment plant less than a mile away as the crow flies. And since our neighborhood has all underground utilities, when that feeder is energized for the water treatment plant (which is a priority), our power comes back on as well. I don't think we went longer than 48 hours without power after any of the three hurricanes. Of course, I only got to enjoy it for about 6-7 hours a day (mostly when I was sleeping) as I was busy 16 hours a day with the recovery effort for the utility at which I work.

I'll be happy just to wave bye-bye to Fay as she hopefully slips by with minimal damage.

ShortBuSX
August 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM
We had three direct hits - as in the eye overhead - for Francis, Jean, and Wilma...all within a 13 month period. Of those, Wilma was the least destructive, and only because it came through fast and did not linger like the other two did.

We're in one of those fortunate spots when it comes to the power. We're on the same feeder as the water treatment plant less than a mile away as the crow flies. And since our neighborhood has all underground utilities, when that feeder is energized for the water treatment plant (which is a priority), our power comes back on as well. I don't think we went longer than 48 hours without power after any of the three hurricanes. Of course, I only got to enjoy it for about 6-7 hours a day (mostly when I was sleeping) as I was busy 16 hours a day with the recovery effort for the utility at which I work.

I'll be happy just to wave bye-bye to Fay as she hopefully slips by with minimal damage.

We lost power for bout 3 weeks in total during that season...it was like camping without all the comforts of home AT HOME. I remember the daily hunt for ICE and whatever restaurant was open serving fresh hot food. It was a lil tough, but I was able to appreciate how it brought everybody together. And for atleast a month after the storms were still the hot topic, not unlike the day after the super bowl.

For some strange reason, maybe its the beginning of the school year, but I have fond memories of Hurricane days, weather I was a child or as an adult.

Aint nothin like hunkerin down with your closest friends and family, with a butt-load of beer, stayin up late/early and watching the storm coverage.
(speaking of which reminds me of watching "the pier" at Daytona beach erode away with the tide on live TV, fascinating!)

And my absolute favorite thing about "hurricane days" and all...its the stupid, idiot news guy, standing in the rain, on a beach wearing a flipping poncho reporting LIVE! I love those idiots!!!!

Dont get me wrong yall..."be safe"...but have fun too!
BTW I just stocked up with new acoustic strings...beer and smokes later.:beer:

Brian Krashpad
August 19th, 2008, 05:45 AM
We should be fine in Gainesville, just a few rainy days unless it turns significantly westerly. My bro-in-law in Jacksonville is in center of the projected path, but by the time it gets up there it should be pretty mild unless she makes open water and picks up steam before turning back for a third landfall.

Current projection, with Gainesville and Jax drawn in:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5517/tropprjpath06rf4.jpg

So far, schools are staying open here. The county just south of us cancelled for today though, at least as of last night. Pretty crazy back-to-school week.

Bloozcat
August 19th, 2008, 07:04 AM
The latest forecast track has the storm crossing the state and exiting just south of Daytona. The closest it will come to us now, is when it passes over Lake Okeechobee. With the slow weakening of the storm as it moves northeastward, it should mean that we'll experience about the same wind strength and just more rain.

The weather map here is littered with boxes and triangles indicating tornadoes or potential tornadoes. I drove right through two of these "potential tornado" areas on my way to work this morning. Nothing but wind and rain, and not quite enough wind to push my vehicle around on the highway. It's enough wind to blow the rain sideways, and it's not the kind of weather you'd want to be outside in, but it's not really all that bad. Tornadoes here aren't like the ones that form in the plains. Here, they form quickly without much visible sign, and just touch down briefly in an area and then they're gone. So, instead of seeing a path of destruction, you typically see isolated spots.

BTW: I work for a utility (electric, gas, water, sewer), and so far, we've only had a couple of isolated outages with our electric service, and they were corrected quickly. We get far more outages when the late afternoon thunderstorms move in on a normal day. Let's hope that our luck holds...I don't really want to spend any 16 hour days here...:)

ShortBuSX
August 19th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I think most of us are in that "Early Wed AM" area.

SuperSwede
August 19th, 2008, 07:17 AM
got some good single malt scotch too...so i'm prepared!

ww

Sounds like you are well prepared! :AOK:

R_of_G
August 19th, 2008, 07:18 AM
It appears that my area (Tampa) will be getting through this with nothing more than some periodically heavy rain from feeder bands and the occasional squall. I hope the rest of my fellow Floridian fretters don't experience any hardships from the storm.

ShortBuSX
August 19th, 2008, 07:37 AM
It appears that my area (Tampa) will be getting through this with nothing more than some periodically heavy rain from feeder bands and the occasional squall. I hope the rest of my fellow Floridian fretters don't experience any hardships from the storm.

They keep saying Daytona shouldnt be affected much either...but this is the part I have a problem with, the information is so scattered and unorganized, some of the media is seriously downplaying this(even moreso that I did previously)...but if you live in Florida, I do care where youre at, youve GOTTA expect tornados!
And my biggest fear is thatll crossover the state(its projected path is just over me) but then stall off the coast building up definition and strength before it actually moves northward.
Dont get me wrong, Im not scared, storms like this get me anxious and a lil excitable...Im just pissed Ive got to work today!:thwap:
Seems like everyone else is off...space center has shut down, schools are all closed, most business are closing around noon.

duhvoodooman
August 19th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Looks like our FL Fretters have pretty much dodged the bullet, other than getting rather soggy. Glad to hear Fay didn't turn into the troublemaker she could have been! :AOK:

warren0728
August 19th, 2008, 07:46 AM
yeah....flooding will probably be the biggest issue since it is moving so slow...nothing here yet but we are supposed to have a couple of really rainy and windy days...but nothing to serious...schools are closed but i've already got a couple of calls from clients so a lot of people are at work....

just hope we don't lose power...that's a pain in the a$$ and pretty much shuts me down as far as work goes :thwap:

ww

ShortBuSX
August 19th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Looks like our FL Fretters have pretty much dodged the bullet, other than getting rather soggy. Glad to hear Fay didn't turn into the troublemaker she could have been! :AOK:

See, this is what the news agencies are saying, but she hasnt even started yet...hasnt even started raining. I think this gives way too many people a false sense of security.

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Best to all you guys. Keep your hatches ready to be battened as necessary and stay safe! :AOK:

marnold
August 19th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Did anyone see this genius who thought it would be a great idea to use Fay to go kite surfing? He apparently was trying to get a jump on the Darwin awards.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cb5_1219102524

duhvoodooman
August 19th, 2008, 08:05 AM
See, this is what the news agencies are saying, but she hasnt even started yet...hasnt even started raining. I think this gives way too many people a false sense of security.
I should know better than to believe everything I read on CNN.com, huh? :thwap:

Well, it sure looks better than what it could have been, even if it's just starting down there.

ShortBuSX
August 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM
That was awesome Marnold!

Bloozcat
August 19th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Oh, it started here last night, and has gotten progressively worse today. Still, that said, this is a tropical storm, not a hurricane. Yes, it's very windy, and yes, the rain is blowing sideways. But, trees aren't being uprooted, and roofs aren't coming off houses. There are a few tree limbs down here and there, but nothing resembling major damage. This storm is like one of the bad thunderstorms we get in the late afternoons here, only of longer duration. By late this afternoon, we should be past the worst of it.

warren0728
August 19th, 2008, 09:21 AM
By late this afternoon, we should be past the worst of it.
yep and that's when we should start getting it....glad it's a tropical storm and not a hurricane...but knowing my electric company....we still might lose power :thwap:

ww

Brian Krashpad
August 19th, 2008, 09:55 AM
As usual with the day before we get hit, it is gorgeous here right now.

Expect it'll cloud up and we'll start getting intermittent rain bands this evening, with the hit biggest Wed. night and for the 48 hrs. following. It's kinda looping around us, so it looks like we'll get it's western edge as it heads north, and then it southern or SE edge as it heads back inland.

Bloozcat
August 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I'll say one thing for Fay. She's a tenacious little (bleep)...

When she was over open water she looked like a disorganized blob, with no tight convection and no eye visible. But...ever since she made landfall early this morning, all of that has changed. Now there's a ring of convection around what clearly appears to be an eye. It's supposed to be the other way around. Fay should be falling apart over land, not forming a structure. Weird....

Fay is forecast to weaken over the next 12-18 hrs., and then regain some strength over the next 24-48 hrs when she moves over open ocean. If the current structure holds up and Fay reaches open water intact...it could be uh-oh time...

ShortBuSX
August 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Just now getting any significant rain, drizzled off and on round noon. Now its a steady rain with a mild wind starting. I made it through my normal work day with no issues...while the rest of the county had the day off:whatever:
We'll see what tonight brings...bring on da beer!:beer:

Brian Krashpad
August 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Got one cloud band with only a spit of rain, in between clear skies. Clear for now again.

It's funny how fast the rain bands move. This morning skies were clear, then the rain band came through and there were clouds as far as you could see in every direction, now it's clear again.

ShortBuSX
August 19th, 2008, 02:44 PM
One of the things I find most fascinating about hurricanes is that for the massive size of these storms, theres almost NEVER any thunder or lightning.

Having said that and now being home from work, I think Im gonna plug mah amp in for a lil bit and practice.

WOULD YOU???

My only concern is the brown outs, flickers and brief outages...is that as bad as lightning? Would I be better off just playing my acoustic?

marnold
August 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
My only concern is the brown outs, flickers and brief outages...is that as bad as lightning? Would I be better off just playing my acoustic?
The problem with brown outs, etc., is that when the power comes back at full strength, there can be a little power surge with it. Computers for sure don't like that. I don't know how vulnerable an amp would be, but I'm sure your transformer wouldn't be a happy camper. I've got a UPS for my computer that will regulate the power in case of a brown out, sag, etc., and also protect against spikes.

Bloozcat
August 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
OK, enough with this storm already!!! :reallymad:

I've now been at work for 12 hours, and this storm just won't go away. A few short hours ago, the circulation was condensing as the storm was moving away from us. In the last four hours, the wind and rain field has actually expanded and now encompasses West Palm Beach again. Four hours ago, the circulation was 60 miles north of WPB. While the storm is moving steadily away to the NNE at 8 mph (a snails pace), it has strengthened by 5 mph and is expected to strengthen more once it enters the Atlantic. A hurricane watch has now been issued from Flagler Beach FL, to Altamaha Sound Georgia. We'll be done with Fay by morning, but it's going to cause some trouble for North Florida. The area from Jacksonville FL to Savannah GA always brag that they never get hit with hurricanes, and they haven't for about 70 some odd years or so. But...their luck may be about to change.

I surely don't wish this storm on anyone. I'd like to see it just wander out into the Atlantic and die. But, it appears that Fay has other plans.

Katastrophe
August 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
OK, enough with this storm already!!! :reallymad:

I've now been at work for 12 hours, and this storm just won't go away.

Working for 12 hours in the middle of a tropical storm? You are dedicated, my friend.

Is it safe to go home, or are you gonna have to ride it out at work?

Brian Krashpad
August 19th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Great. Now according to tonight's model, Gainesville is back dead-center in the path again.

Grrr.

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/tropical/map_tropprjpath06_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

bigoldron
August 19th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Looks like it's coming to my neck of the woods Friday night and Saturday. Got our first football scrimmage Friday night, so it should be a good, messy night for pigskin! :messedup:

warren0728
August 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM
it's been a strange one...we are getting some rain and wind now...loks like it is going to wrap around us....according to the news we will be feeling the effects through friday :eek: ...no school again tomorrow for the kids... :thwap:

ww

thearabianmage
August 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Ahh. . . good ol' England. All year round, just about everyday is overcast, rainy, windy, cold, and just plain miserable.

But we don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, and - for the most part - flooding.

I guess that equals it out.

Good thing, too, cuz I've had a fear of storms since hurricane Opal hit Georgia back in '96 - knocked 7 trees on my house (and knocked a few logs out of me, if you know what I mean)

In all seriousness, though, I hope all are okay and will make it through the event just fine.

Joe

Brian Krashpad
August 19th, 2008, 08:20 PM
it's been a strange one...we are getting some rain and wind now...loks like it is going to wrap around us....according to the news we will be feeling the effects through friday :eek: ...no school again tomorrow for the kids... :thwap:

ww

Mine have their fingers crossed for a long weekend starting Thursday. ;)

Bloozcat
August 20th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Working for 12 hours in the middle of a tropical storm? You are dedicated, my friend.

Is it safe to go home, or are you gonna have to ride it out at work?

Well, I did finally get out of work at about 8:30 last night. I work for a utility that is manned 24/7...even in the middle of a hurricane by some. When a hurricane comes in, some of us take on alternate duties. I'm the Emergency Food Services Co-ordinator. In other words, I make sure the troops are fed, and as it's said, an army marches on it's stomach. No food, no water, no ice, no work. Upper management, whom we all think are totally blind, aren't so much so when a disaster strikes and their butts are on the line. Seems that they had noticed my organization skills after all...:rolleyes:

This time around, though, was a breeze. I only had 70 people to worry about. During Francis and Jean, it was 500+.

There is really only one north/south thoroughfare along the eastern corridor of what is called "The Treasure Coast" here, and that road is US 1. Last night as I drove home on US 1, there were numerous areas where the road was under 2-3 feet of water. It was fortunate if there was 1/2 a lane that was not under water. Since I drive a Toyota Tacoma 4X4, three feet of water isn't a problem for me. But, for those with the compact cars with seats that are only three feet above the road, big problem. Cars were strewn all along the road with water midway up their doors. But, I got home OK only to find a Buick flooded out right in the middle of the road in front of my house. This clown even attempting to drive through this is a living testament to the old adage, "common sense is none too common." I'm sure I messed up a little of my front lawn going around the car last night and this morning.

This morning, I took my usual route to work. There is a road here called Indian River Drive, which as you may have guessed, runs along the Indian River Lagoon. The road was washed out during hurricane Francis, and it took the county a year to rebuild it. Well, the engineering firm that did the site work for that project really knew what they were doing. Not only is the road still intact, but there is no flooding at all for the 15 miles I drove it. And this was with way more rain than fell from Hurricane Francis in '04. So, while cars were bumper to bumper trying to negotiate US 1 this morning in the flood, I was crusing up The Drive (as we call it), enjoying the sights like it was any other work day morning. Sometimes things really do work out well....:AOK:

For those of you who live north of me and find themselves in Fay's path, best of luck. Maybe it won't be as bad for you. I certainly hope so...

warren0728
August 20th, 2008, 06:48 AM
we have managed to stay on the fringes of fay....so just occasional rain and a little wind....the current track will bring it back a little above us...so we will still feel effects (minor probably) through friday or saturday....all-in-all for us it has been a non-event (except the kids have gotten two days off from school)

ww

ShortBuSX
August 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM
it's been a strange one...

I'll say!
I went to sleep bout 3am when the eye of the storm was just above us(Titusville)...I woke up bout 11am...and the eye of the storm is STILL above us. If you didnt know, the eye is the most calmest part of the storm, just looks overcast with hardly no wind or rain. But the thing that gets me is that because it looks so peaceful, people are being called back to work or acting like its over...and were not even halfway through it all. And whats more is that the lower half of this storm shows all the heavy radar activity...but Bloozcat and Rocket would probably know more bout all that.

Brian Krashpad
August 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM
All quiet here at present (noonish Wed.). A couple rain bands went through yesterday, and some light rain this morning. It's clouded over and there's a light wind. A light but steady rain fell for half an hour just now but appears to be stopping.

Worst should hit us tomorrow night (TH).

Bloozcat
August 20th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Things are looking better for you guys up the road.

The good news is that Fay has decreased in intensity from 65 mph as it was when it passed us, down to 50 mph now. Most of the wind in the 50 mph range is located offshore as well. The storm continues to weaken as the northern air flow that provided the ventilation that helped it intensify 24 hours ago is no longer in place. The circulation is now slowing, the eye has opened up, and the rain bands and associated winds, are diminishing.

Although it looks as though we're really still getting hit hard here on the south side of the storm, the wind is only about 10-12 mph, and the rain is light but steady. Funny thing though, electric outages are still coming in at a steady pace. Not major, widespread outages, just many isolated ones.

The tropical storm warning has been discontinued south of Ft. Pierce, so my home 20 miles south is finally out of it.

Hang in there everyone, it's almost over....:bravo:

ShortBuSX
August 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Well its only half over for us, weve been sitting in the eye since 3am. Actually nice, decent calm weather, but Melbourne, the next big town bout 30 mins south has been getting hammered with rain all day, and if this storm starts moving north again, we can deffinately expect pretty much what everybody south has been getting.

If you look at the storm on radar currently...look at the eye and then wave at me, thats where I live. *waves* "Hi!"

Bloozcat
August 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Melbourne is getting what we got yesterday. We had a one day total of 10.4 inches of rain yesterday. Melbourne is predicted to get 5-10 inches today. With the storm stationary and the rain bands circulating over Melbourne for hours, I'll bet they get closer to the 10" end.

I hope for your sake, ShortBuSX, that when the storm begins moving again, that it's to the NE and around you, and not straight north over you

Rocket
August 20th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Here's some pics out my front door:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/RocketWorks/100_0857.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/RocketWorks/100_0858.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/RocketWorks/100_0859.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/RocketWorks/100_0860.jpg

evenkeel
August 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hey Rocket,
Looks like all is ok outside the rocket pad. Little damp, but ok. Was wondering how you came thru it. Looks like the Melbourne, Vero area took a bit of thumping. Glad you are ok.

Wierd storm.

luvmyshiner
August 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Rocket, why'd ya put all that water in your street? What the hell were you thinking?

Rocket
August 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM
We are Melbourne/Vero area. Sebastian is directly between the two.
It's just rain! We're a peninsula... all ends up in the ocean.

street music
August 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Glad you all are doing ok, down there, it's just HOT & VERY DRY here. Many creeks and branches have dried up, forest fires would run wild if they get started now. I hope Fay will send us a couple of inches of rain.

Bloozcat
August 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM
My heart goes out to anyone in the Melbourne area. It's been reported that they received over 22 inches of rain in some areas. That's almost twice our 14.5 inch total.

That sight looks familiar, Rocket. The water in the street in front of my house was just over three feet deep Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. One of my neighbors down the street tried to drive through it in their Buick Tuesday night and stalled out in the deepest part...right in front of my house. The water was halfway up their door. I had to get out the next day to report to work, which is not be a problem in my 4X4, but is was a bit tougher with a stalled buick in the middle of the road. When I got home again some 14 hours later, the Buick had been towed out. Even though the water is down about a foot, I still had to take my wife to work today in my vehicle. Her RAV 4 would have made it today, but she was just too afraid to try it herself.

I hope it doesn't get any worse for you Rocket.....

Rocket
August 21st, 2008, 08:25 AM
We just got our rainfall totals: 18.5" over last 2 days... and it's still raining.
Eh!... Whatcha gonna do?

warren0728
August 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM
yeah....you guys have really been hit hard with the rain....we got a few inches of rain last night (minor flooding) and still raining today with 30 - 60 mph wind gusts....

hope you fretters with all the flooding are doing ok!

ww

ShortBuSX
August 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM
Hehe, Rocket, do you live in one of the "No Wake Zones"?

For those that dont know, last night they were on the news complaining the folks were driving too fastly through the storm water. So much so that the "wake" left behind from the vehicle(mostly trucks) was causing additional flooding in homes on those streets.
So theyd designated many streets "No Wake Zones":thwap:

Rocket
August 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Nah... folks in Sebastian are pretty mellow & smart enough to stay home to let the storm pass.

We really appreciate living here... no crime, no hassles, friendly little hometown-like burg...

...um... no, that's not right... this place sucks... like Detroit here... everybody's a scam artist and everybody hates everything...

...we're full...

...please don't move here!

warren0728
August 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Nah... folks in Sebastian are pretty mellow & smart enough to stay home to let the storm pass.

We really appreciate living here... no crime, no hassles, friendly little hometown-like burg...

...um... no, that's not right... this place sucks... like Detroit here... everybody's a scam artist and everybody hates everything...

...we're full...

:rotflmao: after reading the first part i was thinking about moving!!

ww

Bloozcat
August 21st, 2008, 12:06 PM

...we're full...

Brace yourself, Rocket...

When I moved here many years ago, the word was that the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/WPB people would eventually move up to our area when they got sick of the congestion down there. Then the migration would go to Sebastian next. Well, between the south counties moving up, and the New Yorkers moving down (PSL is NY south now), the pressure's building. So they all come here to "get away" from what they created down south and up north, only to try to re-create the same noxious environment over again here.

I've always liked the Sebastian area, it's similar to the way it used to be here. Still has affordable land, space, and there aren't a lot of the loonies there that have moved here.

Rocket
August 21st, 2008, 12:26 PM
Well, when they all move here and give us a huge profit for our house... we'll start over in Lost Springs, WY; Hibberts Gore, ME; Erving's Location, NH; or New Amsterdam, IN.
See ya there!

sunvalleylaw
August 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
Out here on the West Coast up in the Seattle area where I am from, and now in Idaho, we call that Californication. ;) I was born and raised in Tacoma, and when it got too crowded for me, I moved to Idaho. One of my favorite lines was that the Californians chased me out of WA so that I had to move over here and become part of your growth problems. :thwap: :) I hope all you guys down that way continue to do well and stay safe. :beer:
Brace yourself, Rocket...

When I moved here many years ago, the word was that the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/WPB people would eventually move up to our area when they got sick of the congestion down there. Then the migration would go to Sebastian next. Well, between the south counties moving up, and the New Yorkers moving down (PSL is NY south now), the pressure's building. So they all come here to "get away" from what they created down south and up north, only to try to re-create the same noxious environment over again here.

I've always liked the Sebastian area, it's similar to the way it used to be here. Still has affordable land, space, and there aren't a lot of the loonies there that have moved here.

Rocket
August 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM
I was born in Tacoma also... Madigan actually (Pop was USAF).

street music
August 21st, 2008, 02:41 PM
Gosh! It looks very bad in Florida, Hope all the forum members are doing alright. Still HOT AND DRY here!

warren0728
August 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM
it has been raining steady here since yesterday with some pretty good windgusts....several inches of rain with quite a bit of flooding (supposed to continue through friday night)...but nothing compared to some of our friends to the south and east of us with more than 25 inches of rain.... :eek:

our lights just flickered....hope we don't lose power :confused:

they are predicting much more wind tonight and tomorrow for us in central florida....

looks like the new path will cross right over gainesville...home of our own mr. krashpad....

ww

warren0728
August 21st, 2008, 03:04 PM
oh boy....more flickering lights.... :thwap:

ww

warren0728
August 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM
they just closed our schools for tomorrow...there goes another day of thanksgiving vacation for a make-up day... :confused:

ww

Brian Krashpad
August 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM
they just closed our schools for tomorrow...there goes another day of thanksgiving vacation for a make-up day... :confused:

ww

Ours were closed today and will be closed tomorrow too. When my kids got the news about them being closed today, last night, there was quite the jubilant dancing here at Casa Krashpad.

Wind's picking up a bit and it's been raining but no real rough weather yet.

ShortBuSX
August 21st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Ours were closed today and will be closed tomorrow too. When my kids got the news about them being closed today, last night, there was quite the jubilant dancing here at Casa Krashpad.

Wind's picking up a bit and it's been raining but no real rough weather yet.

Everybody loves Huricanne day! It starts at an early age.:beer:

pes_laul
August 21st, 2008, 09:57 PM
oh man I just remembered my guitar playing buddy is in florida right now

bigoldron
August 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
oh man I just remembered my guitar playing buddy is in florida right now

We'll hope and pray he's OK. Right now (about 7 am) the western edge of the rain is about 20 miles east of us, so it'll start hitting us in a couple of hours, maybe 3, since it's only moving about 6 mph. From what I can tell of the radar, Brian K's in the eye right now. Hopefully, you're doing OK.

Warren, I'm praying that you and the rest our Florida friends are doing OK as well.

It looks like it's tracking south of where I live, but not much. It's roughly 75 miles to the coast as the crow flies, so I believe we're going to get a LOT of rain, being on the North side of this nasty lady. It's been dry for the last 2 years, so we can definitely use the rain, just didn't really want it all at once.

The weekend's definitely a wash... Oh well (another deep subject)...

Brian Krashpad
August 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM
We'll hope and pray he's OK. Right now (about 7 am) the western edge of the rain is about 20 miles east of us, so it'll start hitting us in a couple of hours, maybe 3, since it's only moving about 6 mph. From what I can tell of the radar, Brian K's in the eye right now. Hopefully, you're doing OK.

Warren, I'm praying that you and the rest our Florida friends are doing OK as well. ...

I'm good, thanks, used the eye going over as a chance to drive in to work. There were some very small limbs down, but no major road blockages or flooding on my way in. Power's still on both at the office and back at Casa Krashpad. There's only a light drizzle here now, and no wind. Wind and rain should pick back up soon once the eye has passed.

I think the folks south of us got the most damage. Need to check on my buddy who has a 34-foot sailboat triple-anchored in the St. Augustine marina.

Everybody take care and stay safe. Mojo and prayers.

warren0728
August 22nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Warren, I'm praying that you and the rest our Florida friends are doing OK as well.
doing just fine....been rainy and windy for several days (still is)....some flooding and the kids are still out of school....hopefully today will be the last day it affects us....

ww

sunvalleylaw
August 22nd, 2008, 06:55 AM
The weekend's definitely a wash... Oh well (another deep subject)...

LOL!! One of my Dad's favorite puns when I was a kid. Also, Me: "Dad, we're going to the Wells (friends down the street)" Dad: "Ok, don't fall in!" :thwap: :)

Bloozcat
August 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hang in there guys...

Orlando's looking pretty good, and Gainsville's not in too bad a shape either. Looks like the worst bands are circling around Gainsville.

If there's a good thing about this storm, it's that parts of drought ridden Georgia are going to get some relief. Looks like there's rain bands headed for our hunting property west of Waycross as we speak....:D

ETA: Uh-oh...looks like I spoke too soon...
Some heavy bands of rain are circling around from the southwest and are headed right for Gainsville. Better get home while you can, Brian. You might get flooded-in and stranded at work if you don't....:eek:

ShortBuSX
August 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Well the rains finally stopped, its drying up..although its still very overcast.
Strange though, having intermittent power issues through out the day, but it looks like thats fixed now.
Ive talked to a couple people who have water damage of some sort, but other than that no major damage round here.:AOK:

Brian Krashpad
August 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
All quiet here at noonish. Eye is moving away so winds are picking up a bit, but only light rain. Right now the worst appears to be on the back edge of the storm over towards the east coast. If the storm stays of even power we could get hit by that tomorrow, but it might weaken by the time the easterly edge gets to us. Of course, there's also the possibility that the eye might get to the Gulf and strengthen again before we're clear of the tail, too, so things are still a little up in the air.

Bloozcat
August 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
I don't know...

Looks like there's some more headed for Gainesville:
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite.php?rid=tlh&product=N0Z&loop=yes

Brian Krashpad
August 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I don't know...

Looks like there's some more headed for Gainesville:
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite.php?rid=tlh&product=N0Z&loop=yes

Oh, there will be. We're only half-through the circulation pattern. Just a question of how severe it'll be. Last night was nothing. Unless it picks up from hitting the Gulf before we're clear of the tail, we're good. If we're not clear of the tail and she picks up energy from the Gulf, all bets are off.

Right now it's a coin-toss.

ShortBuSX
August 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
All quiet here at noonish. Eye is moving away so winds are picking up a bit, but only light rain. Right now the worst appears to be on the back edge of the storm over towards the east coast. If the storm stays of even power we could get hit by that tomorrow, but it might weaken by the time the easterly edge gets to us. Of course, there's also the possibility that the eye might get to the Gulf and strengthen again before we're clear of the tail, too, so things are still a little up in the air.

Id stock up on beer if I was you. :beer:

warren0728
August 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
well....me and the kids just went out for lunch....wow there is a lot more flooding around here than i realized (my condo is on pretty high ground so we didn't have hardly any flooding at all)

the city park across from us in under water and so is a golf driving range not too far from here....several areas were there is farmland is under water and on the drive back from eating we took a different route but had to turn around because the road was under water and they weren't letting anyone through...

the rain has stopped though and i think we are pretty much through with it...although i haven't checked the radar yet....

hang in there brian! :beer:

ww

ShortBuSX
August 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
the city park across from us in under water and so is a golf driving range not too far from here....several areas were there is farmland is under water and on the drive back from eating we took a different route but had to turn around because the road was under water and they weren't letting anyone through...

I saw a man hole cover that was spouting water through the holes upwards because it appearantly had so much storm water flowing past it....I almost took a pic of it.

Brian Krashpad
August 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Id stock up on beer if I was you. :beer:

See thread here, begun last night:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8289

We good.

Bloozcat
August 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Ugh...this is getting ridiculous already...

Now we're getting a bunch of outer rain bands passing through...and not little ones either.Tornado warning in western Martin County, thunder, lightning, and pouring here. My wife just called to tell me that there's an advisory out warning people to avoid a road right ouside our development due to flooding. I drove that road this morning and there wasn't but a couple of inches of water there. Good thing I drive a 4X4...

Well, so much for drying out anytime soon.

warren0728
August 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Well, so much for drying out anytime soon.
yep....started raining here again too :confused:

ww

ShortBuSX
August 23rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
My buddy had this on his Myspace page...kinda funny looking storm when you see it in this perspective.

http://a662.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/38/l_f2415b5d10fe1d7250fcff435bcc55b5.gif

just strum
August 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Boy, we could use the rain up here in Ohio. All the grass is brown and the plants are drooping. The only thing growing are weeds and the positive of the drought is they are easy to locate and either pull or spray.

We are suppose to get rain tomorrow, about 50% chance. The remnants of Fay is suppose to arrive Thursday and Friday, but at the rate it's moving, who knows.

My ponds are down about 1.5' and the fish have disappeared to the deeper sections where they can't be seen. Definitely need some fresh water for the ponds. Even the wetland area at the back of the property isn't too wet.

So while you Floridians have probably had your fill of rain, we certainly would welcome it up here.

player
August 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Looks like it is gonna nail New Orleans again.not that it help there or this drought stricken state here.hope N.O. is ready to be flooded again :reallymad:

Brian Krashpad
August 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
So while you Floridians have probably had your fill of rain, we certainly would welcome it up here.

It's tiresome, but at least in north Florida (probably statewide) we were way under our rainfall averages this year, so this should help the freshwater levels replenish. Despite the storm having gone directly over Gainesville, I haven't seen any flooding or any major downed trees or other damage here. Although I have pretty much kept my travel exclusively between work, home, and the grocery (which is between work and home) for the past several days. Being in the middle of the peninsula has it's advantages, tropcal storms and hurricanes typically are weakened by the time they get to Gainesville.

just strum
August 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Although I have pretty much kept my travel exclusively between work, home, and the grocery (which is between work and home) for the past several days. Being in the middle of the peninsula has it's advantages, tropcal storms and hurricanes typically are weakened by the time they get to Gainesville.

Code words for music shop and pawn shop?

Brian Krashpad
August 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
Code words for music shop and pawn shop?

Haha, there is actually one route I could take between work and home that takes me by one of my fave pawns, but though it's not geographically out of the way I seldom take it, because I hit mall traffic. There are 2 cool music stores close to my office and a pawn shop even closer, but all of those are not actually between the office and Casa Krashpad.

bigoldron
August 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Being in the middle of the peninsula has it's advantages, tropcal storms and hurricanes typically are weakened by the time they get to Gainesville.

Spoke too quick there, Bubba! From what I'm seeing of the radar, G'ville is getting slammed with an ugly red feeder band. Hope ya'll are OK, brother!

We've gotten 6-8 inches so far, with more possibly coming. It's moving a little more to the north which is kinda helping us. It's pulling the worst of it more to the north of us. Tallahassee's gotten 15+ inches of rain and is having flooding issues. Fortunately for us, it's going above us. Hopfully, it'll continue to do so.

Stay safe my friend! :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
August 24th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Spoke too quick there, Bubba! From what I'm seeing of the radar, G'ville is getting slammed with an ugly red feeder band. Hope ya'll are OK, brother!

We've gotten 6-8 inches so far, with more possibly coming. It's moving a little more to the north which is kinda helping us. It's pulling the worst of it more to the north of us. Tallahassee's gotten 15+ inches of rain and is having flooding issues. Fortunately for us, it's going above us. Hopfully, it'll continue to do so.

Stay safe my friend! :AOK:

Thanks. I just checked, we've only gotten just shy of 7 inches of rain in the last few days. No worries.