PDA

View Full Version : *dive dive* (the submarine movie thread)

SuperSwede
August 18th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I just love old war movies, especially submarine movies..

I want all your suggestions on good submarine movies!

The ones that I already have/seen:

We dive at dawn
The enemy below
Das Boot (the best!)
U571 (NOT the best movie I´ve seen)
Hunt for red october
The Widowmaker
Up Periscope

So what movies have I missed?

Dauntless
August 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM
My favorite is "Das Boot" The Original Uncut!
Long, but great!!! :rockon:

Bloozcat
August 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
WWII vintage:

Run Silent, Run Deep
Destination Tokyo
Torpedo Run

Later:

Gray Lady Down
Crimson Tide
K-19

One with a sub in the story, but more about the futility of nuclear war:

On The Beach
(As usual, the book was better...)

I've seen all of these movies...

M29
August 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Oh man don't forget Operation Petticoat. Not much of a war movie but a Gato Class sub none the less. My neighbor told me his sub was used to make that movie. He spent New Years Day helping paint it pink for the movie. He even got to hand Tony Curtis something in one scene but all that was seen was his hand.
I build scale models and I built him a copy of his sub. In original colors our course.:D

M29

Rocket
August 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I lived in one of those sub movies for nearly 20 years.

Note: Operation Petticoat was filmed at the US Naval Base in Key West. The production company painted the USS Balao SS-285, (which was still in commission,) pink.

SuperSwede
August 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I´ve seen "run silent, run deep"

I´ve added Destination Tokyo, Torpedo Run & Gray Lady Down to the must purchase list..

I´m not sure about Operation Pettycoat.. a pink sub??

sunvalleylaw
August 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
For a loosely sub related old sci fi flick, you could try "The Fantastic Voyage". The "sub" goes through a human body. Very 60's sci fi, somewhat class Star Trek like in its effects as I recall. Could be a decent Sat. afternoon nap flick. It impressed me as a school kid. I also liked "Run Silent, Run Deep", "Hunt for Red October",(a buddy's helo outfit and boss were the one's in the helo scenes), and best of all, "Das Boot". I will have to check out Destination Tokyo, and Gray Lady Down. Operation Pettycoat is a comedy, where women take over a WWII era sub. It ends up painted pink.

Justaguyin_nc
August 18th, 2008, 12:57 PM
As a kid I grewup in Chicago and was fortunate enough to go to the museum of science and history quite a few times.
http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/
At that time.. there in the basement they had the U-505 captured German Submarine you could walk inside..
never did see the outside of it back then..was not allowed?
a few years ago, I went back to find they have a whole wing for that sub now..
I finally got to see the outside of it! What a wonderful experience!! So much history..
so many adventures running through a childs head as well as now as an adult.. a must see if your near by.
I have always loved submarine pictures.. below are my picks..
The Enemy Below
Destination Tokyo
Run Silent Run Deep
Torpedo Run
DasBoat
U-571

there are a few british pictures about subs..can't think of the names for anything!
check this out:
http://submarinemovies.com/index.html
:AOK:

SuperSwede
August 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Awesome site Justa, thanks! :)

marnold
August 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM
When I first read the subject I thought it would be about guitars with neck dive. Today when I looked at it I thought of Floyd dive bombs. I'm so confused.