PDA

View Full Version : Flying and Gig Bags

Tynee
August 18th, 2008, 10:58 AM
So, when I bought my guitar, I didn't spring for the hard case, since I don't leave home much, and when I do, there's not much opportunity to play.

I'll be heading to Houston this week, and would like to be able to spend some time in the hotel honing my craft, as it were.

The problem is that I don't trust baggage handlers not to use my guitar in its cozy little gig bag as a nice foundation for the rest of the luggage, and I don't know about carrying it on the plane, any advice (other than "go buy a hard case")?

player
August 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Recently flew to O'hare from Louisville for a short stay.had guitar in hand w/HSC.absolutely no problem with it being a carry on.even with the hard shell case.still don't trust baggage handlers.they did ask I open it though(TSA rules)other than that no problem

Rocket
August 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Even a hard case is no guarantee...
2 years ago US Air lost my main working guitar, (custom LP SpecSL,) in it's case). Never did find it. I'm sure some US Air baggage handler is having a great time with it.
They finally paid for a new LP that could never replace my trusty old workhorse!

ShortBuSX
August 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Id say get a hard shell case and mail it to yourself...insure it.
Unless of course you are able to carry it on.

Tynee
August 20th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Well, I got to Houston just fine. Carried it on with no trouble, nobody even blinked. I was on a small commuter jet that was about half full, got on there in time to be the first into one of the overhead bins. I was a little worried at first that the door wouldn't close, but it just squeaked by the lower bout.

Now, if I can just get home as easily.

tot_Ou_tard
August 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I'd like to hear more of fretter's experience with this.

I've often contemplated bringing a guitar on flights.

Do airlines typically let you carry on an electric guitar in a gig bag?

Do you have to fit them in the overhead? Or do they have some place on board where they can stash them?

Tynee
August 21st, 2008, 11:59 AM
I'd like to hear more of fretter's experience with this.

I've often contemplated bringing a guitar on flights.

Do airlines typically let you carry on an electric guitar in a gig bag?

Do you have to fit them in the overhead? Or do they have some place on board where they can stash them?

Some other advice I found before I decided to try it:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/gear/advice/flying.shtml

http://www.guitar69.com/lessons/lesson%2011.htm

tot_Ou_tard
August 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
Some other advice I found before I decided to try it:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/gear/advice/flying.shtml

http://www.guitar69.com/lessons/lesson%2011.htm
Thanks Tynee!

Childbride
August 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
Tynee's links are great. our personal experience:

1) safest thing to do is ship them by USPS or your favorite carrier. least damage to goods/cases, and least chance they will be... uhhh... misappropriated.

2) flying with guitars: we've not had an incident [yet] other than case damage with checking them, but i will admit it makes me nervous every time. i personally take my little yamaha when we go island hopping in a gig bag and put it in the overheads, where i can keep an eye on it. shiner takes his D10s. we generally don't check anything we're not prepared to replace in worst case scenario. shiner always loosens the strings and wraps the headstocks in soft cloth.

Tynee
August 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
And the conclusion is, I made it back home, too. SOOOOO glad I didn't check it, as my luggage didn't get home until 48 hours after I did.

As I was getting on my reurn flight, the gate attendant said she had to give me one of these little blue tags. I said with a smile on my face, "You're not gonna make me check my baby, are you?" She said it wouldn't fit in the overhead. When I got to the door of the plane, I asked the flight attendant if I could try it first. He said, "It won't fit." I told him that I had brought it down in the overhead of exactly the same plane. He was shocked when it fit perfectly.

Long story short, happy ending.