PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrix books?

Robert
August 18th, 2008, 01:22 PM
As some of you know, I'm a huge Jimi fan, but I am ashamed to say I have not read any books about his life! :poke: me

So I have to correct this. Do you know of any great biographies or any kind of interesting books about Jimi Hendrix? I am not looking for licks and songs and that kind of stuff.

sunvalleylaw
August 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I don't know of a book, but you must do the Seattle Marathon this fall in Nov., or the Portland in October I think, and make a stop at the Experience Music Project in Seattle. We went there while on vacation a few weeks ago, and there is tons of info, including an exhibit about how Jimi shaped his sound via effects and overdrive, where you can tweak the effects to see how things operate. My oldest son, who plays guitar, and I could have stayed most of the day. Partly due to the interactive guitar/recording/drums/keys setups they had where you could jam, learn songs and licks, etc. The rest of the fam was ready to go after about 2 hours. I could have stayed at least 4.

R_of_G
August 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Robert. I would personally suggest you read the book titled "Hendrix: Setting the Record Straight" by John McDermott and Eddie Kramer. As I'm sure you know, Kramer was Jimi's sound guy and close friend. I've read other books about Jimi, but this one was the most in-depth and the one which to me seemed the most factually accurate as opposed to some of the others which were a bit more sensationalized or just wildly inaccurate. Kramer isn't trying to cash-in on Jimi like many of the other so-called biographers. He's just trying to tell the story as it happened.

Here is a link to the book on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Hendrix-John-McDermott/dp/0751511293