PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Flutter

marnold
August 18th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I had a minor triumph today. I finally figured out how to get my Floyd Rose to "flutter". I don't know what I did differently but suddenly it works. Interesting effect, although mechanically it sounds like my guitar is going to tear itself apart.

thearabianmage
August 18th, 2008, 08:36 PM
. . .although mechanically it sounds like my guitar is going to tear itself apart.

Flutters do that :D

You'll want to be careful of the knife edges on your trem as well, as I'm sure flutters will rip them apart. Don't worry, though, nothing that can't be fixed via a little D.I.Y.

I tried to find this excellent tutorial on sharpening knife edges that I read a few days ago, but can't locate it - I'm sure, when the time comes, you'll be able to sort something out.

Happy fluttering!

hubberjub
August 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I had a Musicman Petrucci for a while and I kept fluttering every sustained note I played. It's just too much fun. That's when I knew that floating trems weren't for me.

thearabianmage
August 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I had a Musicman Petrucci for a while and I kept fluttering every sustained note I played. It's just too much fun. That's when I knew that floating trems weren't for me.

:confused:

I thought having fun was a good thing?

ShootTheGlass
August 19th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I dont know what fluttering is (though Ive probably heard it).

Anyone care to explain?

hubberjub
August 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM
It's when you tweak the tip of the tremolo bar on a floating tremolo system and it cause the springs to expand and contract over and over for a few seconds.
UaKZBUhIb6o&feature

I thought having fun was a good thing?

What's fun to me is annoying to my bandmates.

ShootTheGlass
August 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Ahhh I get it now!

Is it just a case of brushing the end of the bar, skimming it lightly?

marnold
August 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Ahhh I get it now!

Is it just a case of brushing the end of the bar, skimming it lightly?
You have to hit it relatively hard, but it's just a glancing blow off the end of the bar. I think that was my problem before, now that I think about it. I was depressing the bar and making it bounce back. That won't do it. The bar also has to be parallel with the strings, whether in front of or behind the bridge itself.

It's a neat effect to throw in every so often, but as it goes with most whammy tricks, a little goes a long way.

thearabianmage
August 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM
What's fun to me is annoying to my bandmates.

:rotflmao:

Okay, you're excused :D