PDA

View Full Version : Deer Season is getting close!

street music
August 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
http://home.windstream.net/tomf42344/

Thought some of you might enjoy this little tidbit.:bravo:

Childbride
August 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
[grin]

my 'little' brother [who towers over me by a good half foot or more] is the hunter of the family [now that the patriarchy is gone... ].

a month ago, he dislocated/broke his left shoulder. he's a lefty.

i saw him in seguin this weekend. he's still got his arm stuck up against his body protectively, can't lift it above waist level at all, and the top of his arm is all that dark old bruised color where the blood is trying to figure out where to go. big chip out of his socket floating around in there that surgically they don't have to remove, which is good.

he started phys therapy last week, talked to the doc.

'dove season next month, doc'

doc laughs at him. [brother not pleased]

'what about bow hunting season?'

[doc laughs even harder]

bless his heart, he's fit to be tied.

that was a pretty funny post, SM. :)

street music
August 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
CB, that's very bad for your brother , I hope he can get well enough to at least gun hunt. I still enjoy going out and taking a doe for some venison to eat on during the winter months and into spring. I have seen so many great hunting videos from Texas deer hunting, it must be awesome down there in the rut season.
How's that new CD coming along? Do you ever listen to Cross Canadian Ragweed? They have a song that I think you would like, ON A CLOUD .
How about Bonnie Raitt's songs?

bigoldron
August 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Funny link, Street. Deer hunting around here is almost a religion. Never been into deer hunting myself. I tell all my deer hunting buddies that I ain't lost any deer. And, at 5 am I roll over and go back to sleep!

Childbride
August 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
SM... hunting for him is something that he just has to do. i wouldn't call it something like religion, but the women just have to realize that this is what some men do at that time of the year.

the venison, backstrap, and sausage is wonderful.

when daddy was alive, they were basically awol for a couple months out of the year.

i don't think he's going to be physically able to hunt at all this year.

i respect hunters; you have to thin out the deer to make sure they don't starve themselves to death. i've got that.

i personally can't kill things. i tried to hunt, and did badly.

it haunted me, and i don't do that anymore. but i realize it has a place.

[now, you come up in my house and threaten me or mine, i have no problem hunting...:D and i'm a good shot.]

still working on the music room... no cd yet.

love br.

never heard the other, will check it out. :)

bigoldron
August 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
CB, I'm not against deer hunting. Hey, if it's what you like, go for it. And, yes, I realize that you need the thinning to keep them all healthy.

I just don't go for it myself. Not that I don't like killing (been dove hunting & fishing), it's just that I'm too darn lazy to crawl up a deer stand, too darn cheap to pay the license fees, and too darn nervous to sit still for more than 2 minutes. In short, it's just me... :rolleyes:

luvmyshiner
August 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Personally I prefer cooking them to hunting them.:beer: I used to do a little dove hunting and duck hunting, but I haven't broken out the shotgun in a number of years. Still, you give me a good back strap to slap in the skillet, and I'm a happy man.:master:

marnold
August 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I've never gone deer hunting because a) I don't like being cold, b) I don't want to sit there and do nothing for hours on end (and have to get up early to do it), and c) they won't let me use the kind of ordnance I want to use.

M29
August 19th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Can't wait street music. Those pics were great especially when you got to the deck and grill. Some guys got it all:rockon:

Hey have you heard about the new Butt-Out?

M29

street music
August 19th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Can't,say that I have heard of butt-out.

I learned several years ago, it's easier to to my stand around 9am and shoot the deer around 11am and back home by 1pm. I hunt with a camera a lot now too. Love the nature scene but like Shiner I love those backstraps.

tot_Ou_tard
August 19th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Deer season?

Time to be careful driving home from work after dark.

Tone2TheBone
August 19th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I really envy those of you who live in Whitetail deer country. That is some of the best meat on the planet. And backstraps??? Holy moley....the best! We've got Mule deer here in the state and they're nowhere near as tasty as corn fed Whitetail. Just ask this guy....

LXUI5hAxFYI

M29
August 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Butt-Out is a new tool for field dressing a deer. It makes the butt hole alot easier to deal with:thwap: Guys are raving about it:poke:

M29

Katastrophe
August 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM
That was awesome! Mrs. Kat got a kick out of the pics as well.

I grew up hunting and enjoy going when I can. When I go, my aim for deer hunting is to shoot just one, preferably a spike or an older doe past her prime (when I'm hunting in an area that allows taking does). Never have been one to shoot my limit just to do it.

Birds, like dove, are yummy when cooked right. I only get to go once or twice a season, and then we kill enough for a couple of family meals, and that's about it.

After that, then I just go to watch. It's a lot of fun watching nature in all its glory.

Bloozcat
August 19th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Favorite time of the year......:AOK:

M29
August 19th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Well...I just couldn't leave it as it was......Here is the Butt-Out, I did not want to advertise but I better do somethin....:D

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0041414228322a.shtml

I have no affiliation with either of these businesses.

M29

street music
August 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
ouch!, i HAVE PEOPLE AT WORK THAT NEED ONE OF THEM USED ON THEM. i DON'T FALL FOR ALL THE GIMMICKS THOUGH.
it'S A HOBBY FOR ME BUT MY GUITARS HAVE COME TO TAKE ME AWAY FROM THE COLD WEATHER HUNTING.
I hunt when it feels comfortable to me, not doing the freeze your butt off hunting anymore, I have learned a lot over the years. I have two great 150 class buck on the wall and a fantastic Bobcat that I killed season before last and they can keep me happy for many years. Like I said it's partly for my health and the rest is food and relaxation.

M29
August 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I get as much fun out of wandering around the woods looking for deer sign as I do the actual hunt, of course that would change if I ever got a nice buck. :D We feed our family good when I get em!

Cool:AOK:

M29