PDA

View Full Version : Tough decision - quit the Metal band

Jimi75
August 19th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Well, well, after some hard weeks of thinking day and night of my possible future with the Metal band, I quit and left the field for my bandmates so that they can rocket start with the record company and the management.

The band was offered a deal, but the company wasn't able to tell what the approx. income could be nor how much of a financial advance they would give. Here's the crux - I got a family, a house and a job and of course I am not available all the time, but at least we would have to play 100 - 150 gigs a year in the beginning and this couldn't work for me.

I hoped for a wonder that would fix it all and make it possible for me, but no wonder happened. My bandmates started talking about not going on tour and such "naiv" stuff, but I didn't want them to stop only because of my personal fate. Further more I had written a huge bunch of the songs and I created the idea of the whole concept, so I was more interested in seeing my little monster live on than dying the death of so many bands.

It hurt - it really hurt and after we met yesterday I had to listen to some Howlin Wolf - it almost made me cry.

I will now concentrate on my blues band and plan some nice gigs.

I am convinced of the fact that the Metal guys will have some success and maybe the paycheck for my credits will allow me to buy a nice Tele and a Fender Super Reverb ;-)

:beer:

tot_Ou_tard
August 19th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Youch Jimi!

I think that getting bands going is really for the young & unattatched.

Good luck with the Blues Band...you gotta write a new blues number:

The metal blues.

"My metal band is on tour & I'm at home cryin'"
"I said my metal...."

Robert
August 19th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Ahh, that's a tough one. I know what you mean though - being on the road all the time is not meant for a family guy.

luvmyshiner
August 19th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Sorry to hear that Jimi, but if it makes you feel any better I think you made the right decision. Family comes first my friend. And as much as you may regret losing the band, I can tell you from experience you would have regretted losing your family more.

duhvoodooman
August 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM
My $0.02--tough decision but the right decision. Good on you! :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
August 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Sorry to hear that Jimi, but if it makes you feel any better I think you made the right decision. Family comes first my friend. And as much as you may regret losing the band, I can tell you from experience you would have regretted losing your family more.
Said by a guy that went through something like 3 wives before finding a good one.

duhvoodooman
August 19th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Said by a guy that went through something like 3 wives before finding a good one.
Or a very understanding one! ;)

warren0728
August 19th, 2008, 07:48 AM
tough decision jimi...but i agree that you made the right decision...

good luck with the blues band... :beer:

ww

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I support your making a tough decision. Perhaps as this door closes, another opens. Take care friend!

Katastrophe
August 19th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Wow, Jimi... I can't imagine how tough a decision that would be to make.

But, ultimately, I think you made the right one for your family. I wish you continued success with the blues band!

t_ross33
August 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
As stated above, I think you made the right choice.

I would also like to add that I have tremendous respect for you and your wanting to see your creation succeed and flourish, with or without you. That is a very "giving" gesture without any ego. I salute you :beer:

warren0728
August 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I would also like to add that I have tremendous respect for you and your wanting to see your creation succeed and flourish, with or without you. That is a very "giving" gesture without any ego. I salute you :beer:
+1 :pancake: :beer:

ww

marnold
August 19th, 2008, 03:09 PM
And remember, you can take the man out of the metal band, but you can't take the metal out of the man. Rawk on nevertheless.

ShortBuSX
August 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Horray!!! ...for being a responsible adult with morals and values!:bravo:
Far too many people put themselves first before their priorties.

peachhead
August 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I agree- tough decision but the right one. Family always comes first. Enjoy your family and have a good time with the blues band. :AOK:

Jimi75
August 20th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. Yeah I am pretty happy that I can stay with my family and don't have to leave them for long touring.

stingx
August 20th, 2008, 06:19 AM
That had to suck. :(

I have little boy and I couldn't picture being away touring while he grew up with only a glimpse of his dad here and there. You choose wisely. Do like Lennon says "you just have to let it go." Speaking of Lennon, knowing how he sucked as a dad with Julian made him really want to do a better job with Sean which is why he was out of it for quite a long time in the 70s.

TS808
August 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I concur with the rest of the group...a difficult decision, but definitely a wise one. You do get the satisfaction however, of seeing your songs succeed and your project succeed, even if you're not along for the ride. Not many people get that opportunity. Whether you're there or not, it's quite an accomplishment, one that many never experience.

Tone2TheBone
August 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
My $0.02--tough decision but the right decision. Good on you! :AOK:

I have to agree with Voo on this one Jimi. Sorry but...you know... :confused: :beer: