PDA

View Full Version : And So Another Joins The Ranks...

Bloozcat
August 19th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I mentioned that I had helped a friend at work order a guitar for his 14 year old son. It was an SX LTD 2 like CB's. The guitar came in just as the family was leaving for vacation, so the poor kid had to wait until vacation was over until he got it (is that called GAS buildup?).

In the meantime, I polished the frets, cleaned up and lubed the nut slots, changed the strings, and set the intonation. The guitar went home to the kid last night. I saw my co-worker this morning (in the middle of all the Fay confusion), and he said that he's got one out of control 14 year old on his hands now. He's already informed his father that he "needs" a distortion stomp box...

And so it begins, as it has for countless millenia....:dude:

warren0728
August 19th, 2008, 11:03 AM
good job blooz! :bravo: :beer: :rockon:

ww

duhvoodooman
August 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
He's already informed his father that he "needs" a distortion stomp box...
ZYS, Rabid Rodent, Fender Bender or Mega-Muff? ;)

Seriously, it sounds like you did a great job in getting the kid set up right, BC. :AOK: :dude: :bravo:

Katastrophe
August 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
+100000000000000 cool points for Blooz.

That's way too cool. You could have had a hand in the world's next guitar hero and gear freak.

Hopefully, the young lad (with his parents' permission), will sign up here at the Fret, along with his parents!.:dude: :rockon:

evenkeel
August 19th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Nicely done Bloozcat. Great way to get the kid started.

Job one for a 14 year old is to torture the parents. Sounds like everything is exactly on track!! :D

Bloozcat
August 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM
So, one good story leads to another....

Later this morning another co-worker approached me after he spoke with the father of the 14 year old. Seems that this other co-worker has a 1961 Les Paul (SG body type) that is in need of some repair. He got this guitar from another friend who had rescued it from a date with the dumpster when the church he was attending was doing a little spring cleaning. The guitar had been sitting in a closet for years, and the pastor at the church thought it was time to throw it out...:thwap:

Not really knowing what the guitar was worth, this friend offered to sell it to my co-worker. When my co-worker, who also didn't know what the guitar was worth, attempted to give his friend $100.00 for the guitar, his friend just said that it was too much and gave him $50.00 back....:thwap:

I don't really think there's anything seriously wrong with this guitar from what I can gather sight unseen, other than that which long term neglect might cause (scratchy pots, old strings, neck adjustment, tarnished frets, etc). But, I'm about to find out as soon as we're done with this Fay inconvenience. This is going to be a really fun little job. I can't wait to try this through a couple of my amps...:AOK:

I had a another friend who once had a 1961 LP. He made the unfortunate mistake of leaning it against a chair and it fell over and broke the headstock off. I've often thought about that broken neck guitar. I didn't have a clue how to fix it then, but would love a crack at it today...especially when this guy thought the guitar was worthless and ready only for the trash bin.

duhvoodooman
August 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I just did a little poking around on the net, and thought that you'd want to know that those '61 SG-body Les Pauls are worth a mere pittance compared to their '58 - '60 brethren. All original hardware in good to excellent condition is only worth around $20,000 - $25,000. Too bad.... :eek: ;)

Brian Krashpad
September 6th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Outstanding!

Good onya Blooz!

I sold a MIM Strat to a kid at my church (his family didn't have a lot of money, so I just gave him the guitar and let him pay me over time) a couple years ago, and it's always fun to help out a new player. My daughter is learning bass and my son is working on his fourth guitar chord.

Childbride
September 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM
:bravo: :D :AOK: :dude:

very cool! :)