stingx
August 19th, 2008, 06:37 PM
that he didn't already have...

X-VGxYAVx-0

God I love this tune!

:pancake:

Katastrophe
August 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Great find, and a great song, stingx... Thanks for posting!

Any good memories for you attached to this song?

stingx
August 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Great find, and a great song, stingx... Thanks for posting!

Any good memories for you attached to this song?

Music has been a huge part of my life so pretty much every old tune takes me back to a fond memory - a few not so fond too but just a few, thankfully.

This song in particular though takes me back to a time when I was in early grade school. No cares nor worries and just being around my old friends.

I seem to be getting more and more nostalgic as the years keep piling on. It's scary how vividly I can recall events that took place so long ago.

Anyway, as much as I love to rock out with my cock out I have a soft spot for soft rock and America in particular. Great driving tunes that send me back in time.

luvmyshiner
August 19th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I love America Sting. They were one of the first music books I purchased back when I picked up guitar.

Tone2TheBone
August 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM
"...and cause never was the reason for the evening."

I freakin' love America good post and great vid man!

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I also have great childhood memories of America, and some similar bands. Reminds me of a baby sitter we had that I had a crush on. She would drive us around in her VW Bug, my favorite car, and the song would come on the radio. Thanks for the post.

Tone2TheBone
August 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I recently downloaded "America: The Complete Greatest Hits" which is way cool because it included 6 more tunes that I never had on the original Greatest Hits album I had. You can be dang sure I had "Ventura Highway" playing on the iPod in the car as we drove up on the 101 to see my uncle in Ventura California this summer. I should record a couple of their tunes for fun since I'm always playing them on the acoustic. I'd give anything if I could sing worth a crap though.

M29
August 20th, 2008, 05:10 AM
America is great. I have been working on From A Moving Train and Lonely People lately. I am always amazed at how many songs they have done, what great talent. Thanks for posting stingx:AOK:

M29

Childbride
August 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM
America invokes several fond memories for me, from growing up... :)

that opening lick from ventura highway is on my 'must learn' list.

Tone2TheBone
August 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM

I can send you some "info" on playing Ventura Highway if you're patient enough....maybe sometime next week if you can hang until then.

Childbride
August 21st, 2008, 06:42 AM
I can send you some "info" on playing Ventura Highway if you're patient enough....maybe sometime next week if you can hang until then.

i can be very patient. :)

wingsdad
August 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM

CB,
I read an interview with America's Dewey Bunnell and Dan Peck a while ago in one of the guitar mags like Guitar World & they used some open tunings...and often would play in harmony...if I could find the mag with the interview, I think it even has the tab...

Meanwhile, I attached a pdf I made of this very rough abbreviated tab I just pulled off a website has a tab for that opening lick...a little tough to read...going it alone, it involves a bunch of 2-string harmony hammer-ons and pull-offs that I think (I could be wrong,I'd have to find the interview to be sure.) Bunnell & Peck did the easy way: 2 guitars playing in harmony.

Maybe you & Shiner can give it a whirl...

Maybe it's a start...maybe it's way off...dunno...will try it tonite.

Childbride
August 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
CB,
I read an interview with America's Dewey Bunnell and Dan Peck a while ago in one of the guitar mags like Guitar World & they used some open tunings...and often would play in harmony...if I could find the mag with the interview, I think it even has the tab...

Meanwhile, I attached a pdf I made of this very rough abbreviated tab I just pulled off a website has a tab for that opening lick...a little tough to read...going it alone, it involves a bunch of 2-string harmony hammer-ons and pull-offs that I think (I could be wrong,I'd have to find the interview to be sure.) Bunnell & Peck did the easy way: 2 guitars playing in harmony.

Maybe you & Shiner can give it a whirl...

Maybe it's a start...maybe it's way off...dunno...will try it tonite.

thank you! :D

street music
August 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
I surprised Kodiak last year with concert tickets for him, his wife and his mom and myself to see America in concert. It was a great night and was just great to see from the seats in The Louisville Palace.
They are a fantastic group and always on my play list, I have the easy tab book that I got recently and hope to learn a few songs from it.

tot_Ou_tard
August 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
I haven't heard America in a long time. Great band!

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Good find wings that tab is "right on" that's how I've known how to play it. There you go CB and I agree that it should be played with 2 guitars it sounds killer that way. And sing the parts too. :) Don't forget the strong F#minor 7th on the woah woah woah woahhh part (after the Dmajor 7th) . :)