PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass Flatpicking - Billy in the Low Ground

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I have been assigned the song "Billy in the Low Ground", a bluegrass tune, with the purpose being to learn alternate picking, as related to the "lowest common denominator" of the rhythm of a song. I have to say, it is hard! I am having a hard time getting up to speed. My instructor promises he is not trying to turn me into a bluegrass player (I don't see that happening) but that it will be good for my technique. I suppose it is like some of the heinous workouts Phelps was talking about getting ready for the games.

Anyone else play any of this type of stuff? Any hints? Best I can come up with is work on it slowly with a metronome and speed it up as I get it under my fingers.

Here it is, sounding like I am supposed to sound at some point.

GBdQDPxTfpM&feature=related

Here is a nice version on strat. 0rivfOIZEs0&feature=related

It is a good song to put the strat in position 2 and turn it up on the clean channel on the amph. :D

tjcurtin1
August 20th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Great tune! I can get into listening to blue/new grass (Bela Fleck fan...) and that sounds like fun - though yes I can imagine that it's quite a challenge. I can see that it would be great for flatpicking skils development. I'll have to look for a tab.

tot_Ou_tard
August 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
'Taint nuttin' wrong with grass new or blue.

Get into it Sun, it jes' might grow on ya'.

sunvalleylaw
August 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Great tune! I can get into listening to blue/new grass (Bela Fleck fan...) and that sounds like fun - though yes I can imagine that it's quite a challenge. I can see that it would be great for flatpicking skils development. I'll have to look for a tab.

Here ya go TJ! When you click the link, you will be required to download a little music reader program called Scorch that lets you see the music notation (both standard and tab) and you can play it to hear how it goes. It is the version I am working from.

http://www.bluegrassguitar.com/tabs/BillyInTheLowGround.html

Yeah, tot, I am enjoying learning it. I may not turn into a "Bluegrass Player", but I can enjoy it, and can see the skill development it is forcing. :)

tot_Ou_tard
August 21st, 2008, 06:05 AM
Here ya go TJ! When you click the link, you will be required to download a little music reader program called Scorch that lets you see the music notation (both standard and tab) and you can play it to hear how it goes. It is the version I am working from.

http://www.bluegrassguitar.com/tabs/BillyInTheLowGround.html

Yeah, tot, I am enjoying learning it. I may not turn into a "Bluegrass Player", but I can enjoy it, and can see the skill development it is forcing. :)
Thanks for the link Sun, I just printed it out for future use.

tjcurtin1
August 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah! Thanks, Steve!

sunvalleylaw
August 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Chip has me working also on "Red Haired Boy", submitted for your edification if you choose. :D http://www.bluegrassguitar.com/tabs/RedHairedBoy.html

It is a little bit trickier, rhythmically speaking.

Here are a coupla' good ol' boys having at it.

Yt7zt7LdPoU&feature=related

street music
August 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Sun, good job on that. I'm not quite up to speed for the fast pickin bluegrass stuff.

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks Streetmusic, but none of the clips are me. I can play it, but only WAAAAY slowed down from any of the clips I have posted. Workin' on it though! It will deliver improved skills. I can already tell.

jpfeifer
September 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM
Steve,

That's a great tune. I'd like to learn that one myself. I really like bluegrass playing. I like both versions of the tune that you posted, really nice playing in both of them.

Good luck with the tune. It should be fun to learn it.
-- Jim

Algonquin
September 2nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
Thanks Streetmusic, but none of the clips are me.
You sure that's not you with the Strat and the music note jammies? :poke: just sayin'

Good luck with the tune Steve, should be a lot of fun :AOK: