PDA

View Full Version : The New MIM Stratocaster Standard

Guitar-Chris
May 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Hello!

Was at the music store today and tested the new MIM Fender Stratocaster Standard Modell (2006). My impression.

The new medium jumbo frets feel well (formerly vintage frets). The body cavaties are now shielded. I couldn't see it (of course) but there was absolutely no noise ore hum to here.

At least, there es a bigger tremolo block (the part which is inside the body). And the guitar had a very good sustain. Just one twang and a veeeeery long tone.

Tested 4 different models (colours) and they sounded all very well.

So at a price of 399 Euro I think that will be my next guitar.

Grettings

Robert
May 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Nice, that sounds like a great buy. I am thinking about one of these as well. I just need noiseless pups though - when I play live, regular single coil pups hum like crazy. No fun.

Guitar-Chris
May 27th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Nice, that sounds like a great buy. I am thinking about one of these as well. I just need noiseless pups though - when I play live, regular single coil pups hum like crazy. No fun.

That shielded cavities make theme more noiseless, but I think, when playing them on stage with all the other instruments, amps and the lights, there will be a little bit of noise cause of the normal sc on them. But my impression was, the older modells had much mor noise.

ZoSo65
May 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM
To help cut down on some of the noise, you can also shield the pickgaurd too, if it's not all ready.

Katastrophe
May 28th, 2006, 06:39 AM
That's good to hear, GC... I liked the '05 sunburst MIM I played last year, but didn't like the teeny vintage frets at all... The improvements that Fender made seem to justify the price increase. Definitely gonna have to check the new ones out!:D

Guitar-Chris
May 28th, 2006, 06:53 AM
The improvements that Fender made seem to justify the price increase.

Hey, there is no price increase here in Germany. The new model is 400 Euro, only sunburst (as always) ist 440 Euro.

The "old" model is no set to 360 Euro.

Katastrophe
May 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM
No wonder... I just looked up currency rates... Fender's getting plenty of profit in Europe, as 399 Euro converts to $508.15 USD. Wow, that's alot of money to be paying for an MIM, my friend. Current US prices at $399.00 translates out to approximately $313.30 Euro.

Guitar-Chris
May 28th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Current US prices at $399.00 translates out to approximately $313.30 Euro.

Oh my god :eek:
We have a relatively high value added tax here in germany of 16% and it will increase to 19% at the end of the year.

Because of that, some think of getting the guitar from the states, but official you have to pay the tax at the border when importing them.

Hm, 313 Euro, that would be nice ....:o

Snowblind
June 5th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Here in Canada its $495. I really have no idea why everything is expensive in Canada.

SuperSwede
June 6th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Its the same story here.. the price of a squier strat is about the same as a mim in usa!

Katastrophe
June 6th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Now, that just ain't right...

SuperSwede
June 6th, 2006, 10:48 AM
The cheapest online dealer in sweden "musikbörsen" has a deal on Squier standard strats right now. 404 USD or 2867 Sek

http://www.musikborsen.se/frameset.aspx?id=370208&artno=139258&fm=1

Iago
June 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
i don`t know about what you guys are complaining... since im from Brazil (the TAX COUNTRY) where people pay such prices as 650 USD for a Squier Standard, 1.000 USD for a Fender Standard and 4.500 USD for a Les Paul, paying 400 for a Squier seems very reasonable... I could propably sell my Mustang for 1500 USD in Brazil...

SuperSwede
June 7th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Iago my friend, I can see a glorious future for you. You can travel to rons music shack and buy a spudload of guitars and then sell it in Brasil. Repeat until you are allowed to join one of the spudmans millionaire meals :D

duhvoodooman
June 7th, 2006, 05:13 AM
....buy a spudload of guitars.... LOL!! That's a keeper, Swede! :D