PDA

View Full Version : OT: My wife: I think I'll keep her

Brian Krashpad
August 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM
So the wind is picking up and Tropical Storm Fay is bearing down. I made the mistake of setting my plastic go-cup of sweet tea on top of my van, putting my briefcase and files in the vehicle whilst leaving work, and it (the go-cup of tea) blew right off. The storm's eye looks to pass directly overhead about 6 a.m. tomorrow morning.

I filled up my van with gas yesterday, and we're pretty set for a short power outage if need be. In Florida, there is a long tradition of "Hurricane Parties," so I stopped on the way home from work and bought a 12-pack.

I walked in from the garage, on arriving back home at Casa Krashpad earlier this evening, 12-pack (well, by then it was a 10-pack, it is an 8-mile drive) in hand, and Mrs. Krashpad immediately cracked up laughing.

When I put the beer in the fridge I knew why: she had had the same thought and had herself gone out and bought a 12-pack. So now we've 20 beers to get us through the night of the storm's arrival.

Feel free to share stories of what a great gal (or guy) your better half is.

Bloozcat
August 22nd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Oh man, do I have a gem of a wife....

My wife likes "surprising" me with trips...

One birthday, she had lunch catered for my department at work. Unbeknownst to me, she had also arranged to have a St. Lucie Co. Deputy whom I'd never met, come to the party to supposedly serve me with a "notice to appear" in court. Without getting into a long explanation, in my line of work, people are constantly threatening to sue our company (and even me). When the Deputy walked into the room asking for me, I right away assumed that someone had finally made good on their threat.

Instead of the summons I expected, the Deputy began reciting a prepared list of "infractions" I had supposedly committed, and offered some "remedies" for them. Well, this was all just a cover for my wife's real agenda. She had planned a trip for us to London for my birthday...

On my 50th birthday, my wife planned a trip to Bordeaux, France and the wine country on the Gironde peninsula. She announced the trip at a surprise birthday party with about 50 friends attending; some of whom I'd known since I first moved to Florida in 1972. She had cagely created a game of "Jeopardy" (one of my favorite shows), as a cover for her real plans. Of course I won the game, and in steps, I received "gifts", each of which was a clue to where we were going. The last clue was to have a friend who is French, read the itinerary for our trip...in French. Now, my French is pretty limited, but it wasn't hard to pick out words like, "Charles De gaulle", "Bordeaux", "Chateau Margaux", Chateau Pinchon Longeville".

Prior to these trips, she planned "minor" long weekend trips to NYC and Atlanta...

While the trips have been fantastic, it's her everyday presence in my life that is so special. Because of the high profile work she's done over the years, she's very well known in a three county area where we live. And many know her for her kindness, helpfulness, and ability to get things done where others have not. She truly has a servants heart, and it shows in all she does. On balance, she's also very disciplined, and mentally, ethically, and morally strong. It would be a mistake to see her kindness as weakness, for she is anything but weak.

There are many days that I just look at her and say to myself, "What did I ever do right in my life to have God bless me like this..."

And the funny thing is, she thinks she got the better end of the deal...:)

Brian Krashpad
August 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Haha, I get a 12-pack, you go to la belle France.

You and your wife should feel free to adopt me. After all, Madonna nad Brangelina are doing it. I am not from Africa, but I could get my daughter to teach me some phrases in Swahili (she actually took a free 2-week Swahili course this summer).

Bloozcat
August 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Haha, I get a 12-pack, you go to la belle France.

You and your wife should feel free to adopt me. After all, Madonna nad Brangelina are doing it. I am not from Africa, but I could get my daughter to teach me some phrases in Swahili (she actually took a free 2-week Swahili course this summer).

LOL...it's because we're DINKS that we can afford these trips! Add two or more kids, and it's bye-bye trips! I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here on this one.....:D

BTW Brian, how are you holding up with the rain?

Brian Krashpad
August 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
LOL...it's because we're DINKS that we can afford these trips! Add two or more kids, and it's bye-bye trips! I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here on this one.....:D

BTW Brian, how are you holding up with the rain?

So far so good. Front half of the circulation came through late yesterday afternoon and last night. There was some wind and steady rain, but nothing major at all in my part of Gainesville. We slept right through it.

The eye was directly overhead early this morning when I went in to work. I haven't seen any downed trees or power lines in that 8-mile trek, and both my office and Casa Krashpad have power. A buddy of mine in St. Augustine has a 34-foot sailboat, and had it triple-anchored out in the marina away from the docks, and it appears to have come through OK, though he filmed a bit and there was about 2-3 feet of water flooding the most seaward street at his location (4x4's could get through, or tall trucks, but cars probably couldn't).

Right now the worst appears to be on the back edge of the storm over towards the east coast. If the storm stays of even power we could get hit by that tomorrow, but it might weaken by the time the easterly edge gets to us. Of course, there's also the possibility that it might get to the Gulf and strengthen again before we're clear of the tail, too, so things are still a little up in the air.

The kids are happy since they got today and yesterday off from school. So far there've been lots of worse storms here, and it's not anything like when a weak hurricane came through a few years back.

ShortBuSX
August 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
2 12 packs?
Awe man! This is a 2 18 pack (at the least) kinda storm!
Youd better send the Mrs. to get another 12 pack ASAP!

Brian Krashpad
August 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
2 12 packs?
Awe man! This is a 2 18 pack (at the least) kinda storm!
Youd better send the Mrs. to get another 12 pack ASAP!

Publix is only about a mile or so away. Even if trees fell on both our cars, I have at least two working bicycles and a backpack.

We good.

evenkeel
August 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Krash,
Glad you came thru fay ok.

A bit over a year ago I dragged Mrs. Keel along on a excursion to a guitar store. Usually she shows better sense. "Just need a few strings". Of course I had to check out the acoustic room and she patiently let me putter away. While playing a bunch of Martins she turned around and said "That one really sounds great. You've wanted a Martin forever, why don't you just buy it". Bless her heart!!!

After a very quick negotiation with the sales clerk we headed out the door with the D2R now in the herd. :D

Sharing DINK status with Bloozcat does make these kind of things a lot easier.

warren0728
August 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Sharing DINK status with Bloozcat does make these kind of things a lot easier.
i'm a "sink"....single income numerous kids (ok...only two kids but "sink" is funnier than "sitk") :rotflmao:

ww

Bloozcat
August 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
i'm a "sink"....single income numerous kids (ok...only two kids but "sink" is funnier than "sitk") :rotflmao:

ww

I once heard it called, "child ridden". I thought that kind of harsh, but it was a mother of three who quoted it....:D

ShortBuSX
August 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Damn you DINKs!!! Us SINKs suffer for our passion.

Publix is only about a mile or so away. Even if trees fell on both our cars, I have at least two working bicycles and a backpack.

Wow! Any woman that would ride a bike or hoof it in a storm to pick up beer reinforcements IS a keeper!

warren0728
August 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Wow! Any woman that would ride a bike or hoof it in a storm to pick up beer reinforcements IS a keeper!
:rotflmao: :beer: :rotflmao: :beer:

just sayin'....

ww

just strum
August 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Floridians, when it stops raining you can follow the rainbow to the keg of gold.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Beer.jpg

Childbride
August 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
you're telling them to go to our house?!

just strum
August 22nd, 2008, 08:01 PM
you're telling them to go to our house?!

Exactly, but get there on Monday, because by Friday all the beer is gone.

Childbride
August 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Exactly, but get there on Monday, because by Friday all the beer is gone.

nahhhh... we both thought it was our turn. we doubled up.

we're stocked. :D :beer: :pancake: