PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays - August 22

R_of_G
August 22nd, 2008, 07:12 AM
1928 - Karlheinz Stockhausen.

Stockhausen was a composer who was a massive influence on experimental jazz musicians like Miles Davis, Charles Mingus and Herbie Hancock, as well as experimental rock musicians like Frank Zappa and Phil Lesh.

1952 - Peter Laughner

As guitarist in the bands Rocket From the Tombs and Pere Ubu, Laughner was a driving member of the Cleveland rock scene of the early/mid 70's which, along with NY and Detroit, contributed to the development of punk rock.

1958 - Vernon Reid

One of my absolute top guitar heroes. Possibly best known for his work with the band Living Colour, Reid is one of the most stunning guitar players around. I recommended it when it first came out, but I will do so again - if you do not have his most recent outing "Other True Self" do yourself a favor and pick it up. There is stellar guitar work all over that album.

1963 - Tori Amos

She may not be someone everyone is into, but she is someone I am very glad my wife got me into. Aside from an exceptionally versatile voice, she is a spectacular pianist and songwriter. She is far far different than most of her contemporary female singer-songwriters and much more interesting and willing to experiment with the music.

sunvalleylaw
August 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Good calls. Don't forget John Lee Hooker, born 8/22/17! Have a good weekend, you Boogie Chillen!

TS808
August 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
My wife's birthday is August 22nd too :D (not kidding)