PDA

View Full Version : Budget Strat - which one adds up?

sunvalleylaw
August 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Not that I am in the market, but seeing some nice options, I am just wondering what the members think is the best value in a budget strat. Pluses and minuses to be discussed.

Candidates I can think of are:

Squire Deluxe Strat - may be best truly budget one out of the box from what I hear from members.

Squire Classic Vibe - some seem pretty happy with it.

Japanese Strats - like the one Vood is selling for $125 plus shipping, or the one ShortbusX picked up for $150.

SX strats - I really know nothing, but T-man and Robert seem to have had good luck.

Xaviere Strats - ditto. Vood's looks nice, but needed more fixin' up out of the box than I would want to deal with myself.

Used MIM's. - Another ShortBusX favorite. If I were in the market and going that way, I might look for a used one of mine (60th Ann.), as I still think it played and sounded better out of the box than the other new MIM's I tried in the stores, but a standard used MIM seems a good platform for building your own dream strat. Seems staying '06 forward would be better, given the improvements.

Peavey Predator?

What else? I am wanting to stick to more traditional looking strats, rather than the fullerton close out deals with the pointier body or Ibanez, etc. What do you guys think?

ShortBuSX
August 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Browse the Craigslist 2x a day, morning and just before leaving work...youll miss stuff if you dont. Ive seen 60th Anniversaries going for $350! Models that youd never considered will be listed...and youll never lose money on used if you decide you dont like it, re-list it!
I dont think you need to sacrifice quality because of budget.

[edit]Pointy guitars??? No way! I prefer more vintage type tones, myself.

Bloozcat
August 22nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I think if it were me, I'd go with the Squire Classic Vibe 50's Strat right now. Good looks, good features, good tone, great price. They even went with the right headstock shape...;)

The people who've gotten them seem pretty uniformly impressed with the fit, finish, sound, and playability. What I really like about it is the vintage tinted maple neck, the two-tone 50's sunburst finish - at no upcharge, the modern 9-1/2" radius fretboard, and the price at $299.99 delivered. Even if I felt the need to mod it later on, it has all the necessary ingredients to make modding minimal (just the electronics).

I recently purchased an SX and I'm really impressed with the quality of the unit I received. But, I've heard from others that that's not always the case. So, you're taking somewhat of a chance. But, the SX was only $109.95 - almost 1/3 the cost of the Squire (if that's an issue at either price).

And of course, there's the Agile Strats, which are consistently a cut above the SX's. Definitely worth looking at, although if they are priced above the cost of the Squire 50's Vintage Vibe, I might question where the low cost appeal of the Agile went.

R_of_G
August 22nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
I think if it were me, I'd go with the Squire Classic Vibe 50's Strat right now. Good looks, good features, good tone, great price. They even went with the right headstock shape...;)

My Squire Strat is not from the CV series, though it does have that headstock. I also agree with ShortBus that if you wind up with one you aren't pleased with you can always re-sell it. somebody is always looking for a strat.

ShortBuSX
August 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM

He does have a point...I keep hearing them compared to MIJ quality/features.

Bloozcat
August 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
He does have a point...I keep hearing them compared to MIJ quality/features.

China is the new Japan...that's what everyone is saying. What took Japan 30 years to accomplish in the quality of manufacture realm, China has done in a decade. That China can turn out decent guitars, in and of itself is not that big a deal. Modern manufacturing techniques became pretty universal in the 20th century. But, just a few short years ago China couldn't make anything except crude weapons and ugly clothes. To manufacture anything of true quality in so short a time, is pretty impressive.

sunvalleylaw
August 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Ok, CV is a top candidate, but what about the Squire Deluxes? What is the main reason for picking the CV ($299) over the Deluxe ($249)? I was thinking for a person looking, who does not want to have to mod or fix right away (to be clear, I have a great strat, I am not looking right now), that Deluxe, the CV or a MIM ($200 to $250) might be the ticket. But if you can get a good used one like mine for $350 or less, I think that also is a very good bet. I love mine.

DVM, you have owned a few strats, and are selling a MIK. What do you think? Pluses or minuses? For truly budget, that MIK you are selling looks awesome at $125 plus shipping. I have been tempted just a little to pick that one up myself!

birv2
August 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
A guy at the jam last night had one of the SX strats, with P90's. He said it played and sounded terrific (I agree). This is a guy who can afford some nice gear, and he said was starting to regret having 2 $1000 strats, since the SX ones he has bought are just about as good. This person is a good guitarist and pretty picky about tone.

I have an Affinity strat which I love. Got if off ebay several years ago for $75, and everyone who plays it is amazed. I've also had lots of people compliment me on the tone.

I'm sure that the expensive strats are very good, but I'm beginning to wonder...

Bob

ShortBuSX
August 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Ok, CV is a top candidate, but what about the Squire Deluxes? What is the main reason for picking the CV over the Deluxe? I was thinking for a person looking, who does not want to have to mod or fix right away (to be clear, I have a great strat, I am not looking right now), that Deluxe or a MIM might be the ticket.

All the reviews Ive read have said that the CV came ready to play, right out of the box...intonation, set up and all. Like theyve all got an extra high dose of QC.

I dunno bout recent Deluxes, but mine needed a wiring mod right out of the box...but then again that may explain why Overstock had them at $99 at the time.

I also get the impression that the CV is above the Deluxe as its jam packed with features that usually only come with the higher end models...what would need modding???

sunvalleylaw
August 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
There you go. I did not know that. So the CVs are coming better than the new Deluxes. I knew Zman, Duff and Spud were impressed with their new Deluxes. I wasn't sure about Just Strum, because he turned around and sold his. It was looking to me that one does not really need to mod anything on either of those recent releases, CV or Deluxe.

Bloozcat
August 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
The Classic Vibes are supposedly coming out of a factory in China that was set up specifically for their manufacture. There was a high level of importance given to the quality of the instruments made there. I didn't see the thread, but I've heard that someone from that factory was online over at The Fender Discussion Page (FDP), talking about the facility and manufacture of the guitars. Apparently, eveyone involved in their making is pretty proud of the product they're turning out. The fact that anyone from China has been given unrestricted access to the internet like that is pretty shocking on it's own.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Fender was just doing a test to see if a quality instrument could be made in China to Fender's spec. Given the initial success of the experiment, I wouldn't be surprised to see some Fender labled guitar coming from there in the future...at a higher price, of course. ;)

sunvalleylaw
August 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Hmm. Very interesting!

just strum
August 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
I don't know if it's still for sale, but I would buy DVM's

And yes, I liked my Deluxe, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just needed the cash.

tot_Ou_tard
August 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
What about the Squier Classic Vibe Teles? Are they being received as well as the strats?

I just noticed that those have pine bodies. Does anyone have experience with pine?

sunvalleylaw
August 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
I don't know if it's still for sale, but I would buy DVM's

And yes, I liked my Deluxe, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just needed the cash.

Too late. It is sold as posted by DVM last night.

Duff
August 23rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Great subject.

My latest, greatest, budget strat was given to me free by a kid in my son's band that I used to lend my most expensive guitars to for him to gig with. The only person I have trusted to lend my guitars to. He recently had a PRS import given to him for a majorly discounted price by someone he taught how to play that got a real PRS or something super expensive, so he gave the import PRS to this kid I know for a little over a hundred.

Now that he had his new PRS import, he gave me an old, multi passed down, 40th Aniv. affinity strat, black, dinged a couple places, beautiful super flammed maple neck, rosewood board, cracked an faded white pickguard, pup's kicking in and out, improperly wired electronics, non functioning tone pots, etc.

Here is where the budget part stops. I hot rodded it with some Seymour Duncan pup's in a black pearl pickguard and spring cover; SD black hot rail in the neck, SD 'lil 59 in the middle also black, and a SD black JB Jr in the bridge. These added up to about 200 alone, pickguard 20, electronics 15, then I put most recently a beautiful set of Fender shaller type locking tuners I had on another guitar on it. The tuners were about 80.

So it's not a budget guitar but it is awesome with tone you wouldn't believe and it's lighter than a regular strat. I really like the rebuilt and naturally relic'ed look. I need to post some pictures and sound clips of this. I was a fun project and those noise cancelling SD pups are super great sounding.

The Deluxe has not been modded and plays and sounds great. No need to mod it. I have other projects in mind for other guitars that should benefit greatly from some mods.

A truly budget strat that I got used at a local shop for 130 I think is absolutely awesome just as it is: a trans satin crimson Squire standard strat with duncan designed chrome humbuckers and a solid mahogany body. Still had plastic on the back of the tuners and not a scratch on it. I think it was new and unused and traded or something unusual. I have not modded anything on this guitar and it is one of my best sounding guitars. Those duncan designed humbuckers sound fabulous and it has a two pivot point tremolo, which I prefer, like the Deluxe has; they are very touch sensitive in my opinion, much more sensitive than the six screw type strat bridge. I would say this guitar is higher quality than my two SX strats, although I may modify one of my SX'es with some GFS pups.

I would definitey consider buying used if you know what you are getting or can test it out completely and check it for cracks, etc.

Rondomusic just had, but sold out fast, a solid mahogany natural finish SX SST57 with white P90s on it and a maple board for 109. I wanted one of those. With the really nice SX guitars you have to move fast or they get bought really fast by people that know what they are doing and might have been waiting for a certain item. This just happened. I got a LP Jr type SX with solid mahogany body and mahogany set neck and P90s in antique burst for 139 and they were gone in a few days. I knew I would have to act fast and I was right. On the other hand I've seen SX guitars I thought would go fast linger for a long time. This SX LP Jr. is awesome and is not modified, has tone and sustain that is outstanding. I can see where the set necks sustain better, in general.

I also agree with many that Squire is really moving up in quality and is more like Epiphone is to Gibson. The old stigma that was associated by some with Squire is history. I have a Squire Tele Custom with the two P90s that is without doubt one of my best guitars, period. This thing bites and sings and sustains and produces super great singing tones and smooth overdriven sounds. Really, really touch sensitive and dynamic. Vol and tone controls like a LP. I think it is called a Squire Telecaster Custom II. Just says Squire Telecaster Custom on the headstock. It is black with a black pickguard and black pups, rosewood board and is totally unmodified and is hum cancelling in the middle pup switch position.

That hot rail Squire strat looks great, as do some of the other vintage modified ones. I think the hot rail strat is a vintage modified one. The Crimson red with tortiseshell pickguard with sss duncan designed pups vintage modified is made out of Indian red cedar and is a really great sounding and feeling guitar.

I find the hot rail SD I have on the affinity to be a great sounding pickup and it is probably unsusal to put a pup like that in the neck position, but it sounds really great there.

I can't speak for the Xaviers or the Predator, but they look great. SX has some ash body strat copies that are possibly great. I believe ash is a very dense, very hard wood, and it is supposed to be a great tone wood. It probably promotes a bright tone and might be compensated for by putting in some nice humbucking single coils like rails or other similar pups.

I was watching some of Roberts youtube's tonight of him playing a yellowish SX SST57 with some Fender Custom Shop '54 I think, pups in it and it sounded super great and chimey. He played some SRV tune, or a tune SRV covered really well plus some other very impressive playing. That SX sounds really great and those pups would probably sound great in any strat; but then again, you are departing from the budget strat road at that point.

I bet a kid would really like that hot rail Squire strat that I think is in the vintage modified line. It comes in white or pearl white and maybe one other color, possibly; but definitely in white. I'm sure that guitar would be a pleasure to try out. I didn't play it but have had a hot rail pup in another strat before this affinity and they sound great.

It might make sense to try to buy a budget strat that is already set up as close to what you are looking for as possible; instead of having to dramatically mod it. There are some great options out there.

On the other hand some people like to buy budget strats and do like I did with the affinity I got free; some even do a lot more, as we know, and they really enjoy doing it. I really enjoyed fixing up that strat but did wonder if I was wasting money. But when you do something like that you don't look at it as wasting money. It is more of a quest. A quest to produce something outstanding and my affinity is really outstanding, but it had some really outstanding things going for it to begin with like a great neck and somebody that wanted to fix it up.

The kid that gave it to me was at the house the other day and I asked him if he wanted to play his old guitar and he played it thru my Delta Blues and his eyes lit up and he asked me where I got this guitar. My son laughed and said, "That's your old guitar". He couldn't believe his eyes.

What I want to do is fix up one of my other guitars and give it to someone that needs a decent guitar but can't afford one. Maybe an amp too.

Duffy

dan P
August 23rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
You can buy a 100 buck rondo or agile, but you won't have the fender name on it, you wont have the beautiful lacquered tinted 9.5 in radias neck, you wont have the three piece, light, two tone alder body, you wont have the great sounding alnicos, vintage tuners.............:rockon:

Ro3b
August 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
What about the Squier Classic Vibe Teles? Are they being received as well as the strats?

Oh yeah, the teles are great. Easily in the same league as American Fenders. I'm loving mine. I've heard very good things about the CV strats too, though I haven't seen one in the flesh yet.

I just noticed that those have pine bodies. Does anyone have experience with pine?

Well, the tone is nice and bright and responsive, everything a tele should be. I'm not sure how much the pine body has to do with that. It's on the heavy side, which should have some sustain-enhancing effect. Shrug? The grain looks really nice.

duhvoodooman
August 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
I certainly don't consider myself an expert on inexpensive Strats, having only owned a couple. The new Squier CV line sounds very, very solid from what I've read, but they're obviously not super-cheap--though still (apparently) a bargain for what you get.

The Squier Vintage Modified series caused quite a buzz when it first appeared, but that seemed to fade pretty quickly. I read a lot of comments expressing disappointment over those "Duncan designed" pickups they have--apparently, there was a LONG way between "designed by" and "made by".

I guess my limited experience with truly "cheap" Strats (under $200) and similar Fender knock-offs suggests that the range of quality and playability is pretty large. I very much like the new Xaviere XV870 I just bought, but many of you have read about the minor-but-annoying build quality issues I found with mine. Damn nice sounding, playing and looking guitar, though! If you can do your own minor repair work, I recommend them highly, for what you end up with. And Jay at GFS is just super to deal with. Hopefully, he can get the Xaviere factory build quality issues sorted out quickly.

That MIK Squier Strat I just sold was really extraordinary for how little I bought & sold it for. Played like an absolute dream, as good or better than any MIM Strat I've picked up, no exaggeration. There was not a single thing wrong with it, other than the pickups were merely adequate. Drop a set of some of those good GFS Alnicos into it, and you'd have a gem of a guitar for under $200. But I've heard negative comments about MIK Strats of that same basic vintage, too, so "buyer beware", I guess.

I haven't played an SX Strat, but the reviews/comments I've seen have definitely been a mixed bag overall. Then again, can you seriously expect a guitar without some design or manufacturing flaws for $110 or so?? Borders on miraculous, I think....

Lastly, I'd just emphasize that if you want to start playing around with sub-$200 Strats, expect your risk factor to go up substantially, because the quality variation, even within a brand/model, can be quite high. If at all possible, play THAT GUITAR before buying, or deal with someone you're sure will stand behind the guitar, if it turns out to be a woofer....

P.S. We really need to have Spudman chime in on this topic. Now, there's a guy who has owned a serious quantity of Stratage!!

tot_Ou_tard
August 23rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Oh yeah, the teles are great. Easily in the same league as American Fenders. I'm loving mine. I've heard very good things about the CV strats too, though I haven't seen one in the flesh yet.

Well, the tone is nice and bright and responsive, everything a tele should be. I'm not sure how much the pine body has to do with that. It's on the heavy side, which should have some sustain-enhancing effect. Shrug? The grain looks really nice.
As Tone sez: Cool Beans!

I'll have to check one out. I am not adverse to unusual woods.

TS808
August 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM
If I were buying a strat right now, I'd go for the American Deluxe, but they're a little pricey for me right now. I still have other gear to pay off.

A fun guitar is the Standard series. Slap in a set of GFS pickups, a cool pickguard (white pearl, etc.), buy some graph-tech saddles or a new trem from GFS, and that makes for an awesome guitar. The MIM standard series guitars are cool stock, but a few upgrades are always fun.

Spudman
August 24th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I'm very happy with my Deluxe and discontinued Cherryburst.

It's really one of those "six of one half dozen of the other" sort of deals. They are pretty much all the same at a budget level none more consistently better than the other - just different...except for the Deluxe and Classic Vibes. They seem to have a consistent quality that should satisfy most folks.

The real test is to get a guitar into your hands and let them and your ears tell you if it's all right or not. I don't think you can just pick a brand and model and expect gold every time (although I've been very lucky).

Brian Krashpad
August 25th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Fwiw I like my 90's Peavey Predator fine. $100 on ebay. USA. (Apparently there are later import Predators too.)

http://static.flickr.com/62/188512407_8a37548044.jpg

Specs are same as 90's MIM Fenders (poplar body, ceramic pups) except they have medium frets (90's MIM's had vintage/small) and 22 frets ('90's MIM's had 21 frets).

I can't see any major quality or playability differences to the 90's MIM I had previous to the Peavey. I'm not a big Strat guy at this point though.

ZMAN
August 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Sorry guys I have been away on vacation. I thought I would chime in because I have all of the above except the Rondo.
There is one thing I would say about the two top choices, the CV and the Deluxe. (this is what I get from the posts). You have to realize they are two different guitars. The CV is going for a vintage vibe and the Deluxes have that all out wired strat tone with the DD pickups. The Vibe has a less cruchy more smooth tone. I love them both for their qualities and both are stunning in their looks.
I like the feel of the CV because I love a smoother vintage laquer neck over the satin necks. Although my MIA 50th Ann is a smoother satin than the Squier so I do like it.
I think the 50 dollar difference is not that great when you look at what you are getting.
I would say it all depends on what you are looking for.
The CV is as close as you will get to the look and feel of a 50s Strat for (I couldn't come up it a factor because who knows what a 50s strat is worth)
a lot less money. IF that is what you want.
If you want a great sounding great looking Strat ala Jimi Hendrix with screaming tone then go for the Deluxe.
I guess that is why I have both.
As stated above if you could get a real Blizzard Pearl 60th for 350 that is an amazing guitar as well. The only thing is you will be getting a used guitar and it may have flaws.
My advice would be the CV, and the Deluxe as a tie. I can't choose.
The thing is that If you go to my guitar room the two guitars that are out are the CV Strat and my Gibson Studio in fireburst which is a dead ringer for 3Tone burst on my Strats.

And Spudman: I didn't know the Cherry burst was discontinured. Ours will become collectors now A good thing!

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks Zman and Spud, and DVM and everyone else. As always, it is always best to go play the guitar you want and pick it up right there if you can.

Zman, am I correct in interpreting your answer that if I wanted a guitar more different from mine, I would go with the CV rather than the Deluxe? If I wanted one closer to mine, I might pick the Deluxe? I realize the 60th is its own deal, but just talking generalities here.

As for overall, it seems if you want new, and do not want to tinker more than initial set up type stuff, the CV and Deluxe are front runners. If you like to tinker and mod , you might like a Xaviere or SX and save some dough. I also think I prefer the 9.5 radius rather than the 12 that seems to come on the Xaviere and SX.

Used good options are MIMs in general, 60ths like mine, Predators, etc. Mileage may vary and buyer beware and all that. Might need some fixing or set up, etc.

ZMAN
August 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I am sorry I missed what guitar you have. To me I am attracted to a guitar usually by sight. The color combo and the overall look of the guitar. Then I usually look at the electronics and the mechanicals so to speak. If they are all pretty good I usually buy it. The main reaon I bought the Deluxe was that I saw a DVD with Steve Windwood playing a mint green strat. I love it so I went looking. I saw that Squier had a Daphne Blue and ordered that. At the same time my store was ordering the White Pearl as well so he told me he would hold both. I could not decide so I have them both.
The CV was a straight out knock on the head for me. I was always saying why doesn't Squier make a two color burst with an antique stained maple board and aged pickguard and covers. And they did! So I had to have it.
The only thing I was worried about was the Alnico 3 pickups and they are great.
I believe that pickups are only 1/3 of the tone. Your amp and pedals and your fingers make up the rest. I can coax just about any tone I want from my several amps and pedals so pickups are not that big of a deal. With 15 electrics I have just about all of them covered. I have never modded a guitar other than a bone nut on a Sheraton.
But I will admit along with DanP we were abolutely blown away by the CV strats. They are by far the best thing out of Fender in a long time. Followed very very closely by the Deluxes.

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Oh, sorry. Mine is a 60th Ann. Std. Strat, like in my avatar. Thanks for the info though.

ZMAN
August 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Oh I see. I have that one as well I did a cmparo shot on my 3 light colored strats, from left to right 60th, 68 reissue vintage white, White pearl deluxe
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/3fulllightbright.jpg
and another of my CV and 50th MIA
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P6180040.jpg
pictures worth a thousand words.

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Those are all beautiful. And LOL!!!!, my favorite based on looks alone from those JPGs is that silvery Blizzard Pearl one with the slightly darker honey maple neck! :AOK: :D Second may go to the Vintage White one, or one of the burst ones.

As far as the CV vs. the Deluxe, I like the looks of both, and would have to go try them to see which one I would pick I guess if I was buying.

ted s
August 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
....I guess if I was buying.

Methinks Matlock is buying, he just doesn't know it yet..:D

Katastrophe
August 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I haven't had a chance to play the CV, but I played a Deluxe not too long ago, and Fit and finish were on par with my MIM Standard, with the pups sounding wonderful to my ears in the Deluxe, all for less money. All in all, a great value.

You've got a fantastic MIM for your main Strat, with good sounding pups... I'd go with the Deluxe or the CV... Seems to be a ton of good reviews on the CV....

Or, you could just give into GAS and get a Gretsch, so I can live vicariously through your purchase and thus not have to sleep on the couch forever.:D

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Though it may not happen for a while, I may go for that Gretsch, certainly before another strat. I love the one I have. The Gretsch, or a good LP type will likely be next. Sometime I would love to add a nice backup strat though. I have the Fully for that now as well.

just strum
August 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Though it may not happen for a while, I may go for that Gretsch, certainly before another strat. I love the one I have. The Gretsch, or a good LP type will likely be next. Sometime I would love to add a nice backup strat though. I have the Fully for that now as well.

I highly recommend the Dot 335 - it would be a great addition to your collection and it won't break the bank. There are plenty of used ones available and like we said before, it is one of the most versatile guitars out there.

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Not a bad thought there too, though last time at the store, the Gretsch tugged at me just that much more. Not ruling it out though.

just strum
August 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Not a bad thought there too, though last time at the store, the Gretsch tugged at me just that much more. Not ruling it out though.

Let the Dot have an opportunity at a tug or two.

ShortBuSX
August 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Let the Dot have an opportunity at a tug or two.

Hmmm? No love for the Strats???
Wow, Ive stopped myself several times from posting my "opinions" but never would I have suggested a DOT..wow!:AOK:

just strum
August 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM
...but never would I have suggested a DOT..wow!:AOK:

Why not? IMHO you will be hard pressed to get a more versatile guitar at the price of a Dot.

ShortBuSX
August 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Why not? IMHO you will be hard pressed to get a more versatile guitar at the price of a Dot.

And thats why I say you must not be a Strat fan cause nothing beats the comfort and tone of a Strat.

I dont have a DOT, but after owning a Tele and an LP...I gotta have contours!
I dont have enough rib meat or forearms to keep any of the above mentioned from diggin in or cuttin off circulation during extended useage....especially laying down(or sitting for that matter).
Dont get me wrong a DOT maybe the be all end all as far as tone is concerned...but itd also be as cozy as huggin a coke machine.

Aint you got a Strat to suggest? Even if it is an Epiphone????

Spudman
August 25th, 2008, 08:13 PM
And thats why I say you must not be a Strat fan cause nothing beats the comfort and tone of a Strat.

I dont have a DOT, but after owning a Tele and an LP...I gotta have contours!
I dont have enough rib meat or forearms to keep any of the above mentioned from diggin in or cuttin off circulation during extended useage....especially laying down(or sitting for that matter).
Dont get me wrong a DOT maybe the be all end all as far as tone is concerned...but itd also be as cozy as huggin a coke machine.

Aint you got a Strat to suggest? Even if it is an Epiphone????

Wow. This sounds like something I would have said.:D
I also have a problem hugging a fridge and love smooth contours. I like my 335 but don't think I can get as much from it as I can from any of my Strats.

duhvoodooman
August 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Gettin' off topic here, guys. It's the Fender Strat forum and the thread title is "Budget Strat - which one adds up?". Now, I love my Epi Dot, too, but it doesn't address the question that SVL asked. Continuation of the Dot dialog belongs in the Epiphone forum. Thanks, gents....

ShortBuSX
August 26th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Gettin' off topic here, guys. It's the Fender Strat forum and the thread title is "Budget Strat - which one adds up?". Now, I love my Epi Dot, too, but it doesn't address the question that SVL asked. Continuation of the Dot dialog belongs in the Epiphone forum. Thanks, gents....

Just reinforcing the Strat purchase:AOK:

And speaking of comfort, Spud may agree, dont you have one of these Spud?(or is yours Trans-amber?)(or is my memory bad???)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/Strat.jpg

But this one(which was stolen) was a VERY comfy Strat(Squier Deluxe)...and very warm compared to (cold)urethane finishes...although mine did require a lil work with the wiring right out of the box...but for $99 it was a great Strat...I miss that damn thing!:thwap:

Spudman
August 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Just reinforcing the Strat purchase:AOK:

And speaking of comfort, Spud may agree, dont you have one of these Spud?(or is yours Trans-amber?)(or is my memory bad???)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/Strat.jpg

But this one(which was stolen) was a VERY comfy Strat(Squier Deluxe)...and very warm compared to (cold)urethane finishes...although mine did require a lil work with the wiring right out of the box...but for $99 it was a great Strat...I miss that damn thing!:thwap:

I did have one in amber but it didn't have any mojo so I ditched it and kept the satin red HH version with Duncan Designed pickups. I like that one a lot. The Amber SSH needed to be re-wired as well.

Tibernius
August 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I have an Affinity strat which I love. Got if off ebay several years ago for $75, and everyone who plays it is amazed. I've also had lots of people compliment me on the tone.

How do the Affinity series compare to the rest of the Squier range? I know they're the cheapest but are there any major problems with them?

Spudman
August 26th, 2008, 12:59 PM
How do the Affinity series compare to the rest of the Squier range? I know they're the cheapest but are there any major problems with them?
They generally are of lower grade in the electronics department and the bodies are thinner. But, the clear finish Affinities are usually made of alder wood so they have that going for them and the necks often feel quite good. Some folks like Duff have hot roded them and have a fine guitar to play. I personally don't like the flexiness of the neck/body joint due to the body thickness being less than standard models. They can still be a good bang for the buck but you should try before you buy because they often need some work before they are ready to do the job.

ZMAN
August 27th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Well Sunny what did you get out of all this back and forth. Because of your question, I took out several of my Strats and played them over the same backing track. I tried to use the same settings and all of them came through with flying colors, they all had their own nuances. But I still have the CV sitting out, so take it from there.

sunvalleylaw
August 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM
On the run and can't answer properly right now. Will get back to you. Basically, for me it would be to go play a CV and Deluxe and see which I liked. For the tinkerer, there are more options to explore. Thanks for your participation!

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM
On the run and can't answer properly right now. Will get back to you. Basically, for me it would be to go play a CV and Deluxe and see which I liked. For the tinkerer, there are more options to explore. Thanks for your participation!

Further to the above, ZMAN, without playing them, right now I would lean toward the 50's CV because I like maple necks, and I like that vintage vibe. But I would have to go try them out and see which one picked me, like Duff says. I doubt I would go the Xaviere or SX route, because it is obviously (to me) not realistic to think I will spend time tinkering much and I really think I prefer to play something I am going to buy first. I can think of a bunch of others that might be money ahead going the other way, and be able to also enjoy the setup, pup swapping, wiring mod stuff that is fun for them. Thanks all for the participation. I hope the thread helps someone.

ShortBuSX
August 31st, 2008, 10:21 AM
I doubt I would go the Xaviere or SX route, because it is obviously (to me) not realistic to think I will spend time tinkering much...

If you havent got an inexpensive guitar that you can learn to tinker on yet, its damn near as much fun(and sometimes more) as actually playing. Its a guitar like this that is perfect for learning to solder, set up, intonation, truss rod adjustments, etc...
Im very greatful for that $99 Squier Deluxe I got a couple years ago that needed a lil work...and so are my more expensive guitars(grateful that is) cause now I know what Im doing and the lil tweaks arent a big deal that I need to take it to a shop and have repaired.
Anymore I cant really imagine getting a guitar and not needing to do something.

I see alot of great players who have no idea about intonation, set up or how to fix their guitars minor issues...and although they do have skills, they arent REALLY a master of their instrument. Ive got a buddy who guitar actually plays him on occassion...and I think everybody has a freind like this, youve seen/played his guitars.

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2008, 11:37 AM
I have my very inexpensive Fullerton ST-4 fat strat copy that I got for $52 shipped. (I didn't wait long enough for the $27 or whatever guitars), and I have a really nice bridge pup to install, and have considered replacement GFS pups for the others, but like I said, just never seem to get around to it. I may yet. DVM did some good mods on his I may try sometime. There is a thread here where he detailed his mods.

duhvoodooman
August 31st, 2008, 12:35 PM
I have my very inexpensive Fullerton ST-4 fat strat copy that I got for $52 shipped. (I didn't wait long enough for the $27 or whatever guitars), and I have a really nice bridge pup to install, and have considered replacement GFS pups for the others, but like I said, just never seem to get around to it. I may yet. DVM did some good mods on his I may try sometime. There is a thread here where he detailed his mods.
Those are covered HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3258) and HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4142). Other than swapping pickups and upgrading a bit of hardware, the only real "mod" I did was to put in a coil-split push-pull for the bridge p'up.

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2008, 02:15 PM
That is pretty much what I was planning to do, and may do yet. I was going to swap out the bridge pup, add a neck rail type, GFS Lil' Killer probably, and try to figure out a coil-split push-pull to split both at the same time. That should probably be discussed in one of the threads you linked when I get there. I may, or may not, do hardware. I would probably at least do the nut and the string trees.

Duff
August 31st, 2008, 03:58 PM
I was at GC in Harrisburg and looking for an inexpensive bass. I found a Squire P bass that fit the requirements but this Cherry burst Squire Standard strat on the wall kept drawing me back to it.

Long story short, I wound up getting the Cherry burst Squire standard instead of the bass. It is an awesome guitar with a rosewood neck and awesome red around the outside fading into a lighter tranparent burst in the middle. Staggered cream pups and a mint green pickguard. I got it for 169 on the GC Memorial day sale and pictures will definitely follow for those who might not think that I actually bought the guitar, for whatever reason. I'm also going to post some other pictures. Not to boast, but just to show some of my nice items.

This Cherry Burst Squire Standard is awesome with those staggered pups and the mint green pickguard. I don't know if I'm just mesmerized by gassification or that I really like this ax a lot, but I like this ax a lot at this point in time and am playing it right now while getting ready to take some pictures and figure out how to post them.

Duffy

duhvoodooman
August 31st, 2008, 05:13 PM
Staggered cream pups and a mint green pickguard. I got it for 169 on the GC Memorial day sale and pictures will definitely follow for those who might not think that I actually bought the guitar, for whatever reason. I'm also going to post some other pictures. Not to boast, but just to show some of my nice items.
Oh, heck--we know you actually bought it! We just always post the "pics or it didn't happen" comments so we can get more gear porn posted here! :drool: ;)

just strum
August 31st, 2008, 05:20 PM
Oh, heck--we know you actually bought it! We just always post the "pics or it didn't happen" comments so we can get more gear porn posted here! :drool: ;)

Yep, what he said

Like this:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/nopics.gif

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/kof.gif

sunvalleylaw
September 5th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Here is a guy playing a 60's then a 50's CV strat back to back. Gives a sense of the different tones. He also plays his John Mayer strat at the end.

1a1m9wrjddo&feature

M29
September 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
SVL that was great! You could really hear the difference if you fast forwarded with the scroll bar to each guitar.
Thanks for posting:AOK:

M29

sunvalleylaw
September 5th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I picked '60s tone, which makes sense, as my strat that I am used to has Alnico 5 tex mex pups, and the '60s CV has Alnico 5. I like that warmer, fatter toned single coil.

fensonpaulcaster
October 20th, 2008, 10:44 PM
For me its always the MIM

I just got a used one and couldn't be happier. They have excellent tone and theyre just as good as the MIA just a few hundred bucks cheaper. I heard some one on this forum say the Squier Vibe strat or W/e is rated higher then the MIM, but whether or not thats true remains to be seen
The only problem with Squiers is that they don't stay in tune and they just not really that fender reliability.

that being said, ive never actually played their higher-end models, but I have been relatively pleased with the ones I've played. they get the job done, and thats what matters right? haha

My cousin plays SX and Agile and loves them. They're cheap and they're quality and playability are up there with the big names.

I'm not sure of the others..

So for me:
Fender MIM
Squier Vibe
Squier deluxe
SX/Agile

Duff
October 20th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I mentioned one above I got new, the "Cherry Burst" Squire Standard strat. Spud mentioned the 25 dollar Affinity strat I hot rodded and it stays in tune with those 90 dollar Fender locking tuners on it.

I also got a Squire that I didn't even know what it was for 130 used at a guitar store, still had plastic on it. No scratches whatever on a satin crimson finish with two duncan designed hbuckers.

Later found out it was, as I suspected, a mahogany body trans satin Squire strat like Spud kept and it is an outstanding guitar. That mahogany body and those duncan designed hbuckers do something special that makes it really nice.

All my strats sound differently. Quite differently.

I have a Fender Hwy 1 fat strat that is really nice in wine red and it says Fender on the headstock. That used to really mean something to me, credibility I think; credibility in a crowd of average people, but I have changed in that regard.

The name on the headstock doesn't mean much to me anymore, although I prefer some brands like Epiphone, Squire, Fender, ESP, etc.

I can remember wanting to get an "old" Fender or Gibson to have and play some blues on. I didn't have a decent guitar ever in my life at that point. Then I found out how much an old beat up one of those cost and I later got the Birdseye maple top Epi LP Std that Spud turned me onto at a sale price from 123. It is still one of my favorite guitars. I took off the pickguard to appreciate the wood and put in the hot rodded SD pups.

Later I got a new Hwy 1 at the 388 price GC was moving them out at, I got two and traded my sss for a G&L '07 Tribute ASAT semi hollow tele with swamp ash antique burstfinish and maple neck with the USA made MFD or whatever pups; an awesome tele.

Lately I have bought some inexpensive Squire strats and they really do sound nice and I am proud that they say Squire on them; something I would not have said not too long ago. They play the blues very well, all of them.

One thing I would suggest is if you are going to pick up an old guitar and fix it up, make sure it plays well and sounds well to begin with, for what it is. You don't want to start out with a lot of problems, some of which may not be fixable easily. My 25 dollar affinity strat had messed up electronics but played wide open, full tilt with only the volume pot working. The neck is phenomenal flammed maple, like every quarter inch is flammed all the way to the top. Zero buzz. Natural relic. The new pickguard and awesome single'ly selected SD humbucking single coil shaped pickups transformed that old guitar into the "Black Pearl". It is awesome and lighter than a regular strat and in my intermediate level of playing I don't notice the body weakness that Spud can feel. Spud plays at a way different level from me and requires characteristics that I don't, but that affinity will never go anywhere as long as I'm around unless it gets stolen or something like that. I'm going to get some insurance for my musical equip. Very inexpensive and full replacement value is paid out.

Look for an inexpensive strat and you will "know" when you have found the one. If you build it up, use it as a learning platform you will bind with it like few other guitars. You will "get into it" in a very true sense of the phrase. The name on the headstock means little to me now, if the guitar is really nice. There are strat copy companies out there that I have never heard the names of and the guitars sound fabulous. I bought my wife/ex wife a pink one that is really nice. I think it is called a Spencer and it is a full size standard sss strat and sounds great thru the Vox Pathfinder I got her. We are still friends at this point.

I hope my experience helps someone who is thinking of getting an old strat, "just to have". I've been there. Now I'm fortunate enough to have old and new strats that bring me great peace and happiness. Life without a strat would be missing something for me, where I'm at now. I love LP's though and other guitars as well, such a tele's. Don't forget those Peavey Generation EX series tele's that are being sold off, they will be gone soon and they are awesome. I was looking at the neck on my Vintage model one and it was like that one Spud has on his CV tele I think it is, with the complex grain going across the back of it.

An old strat is kind of like a mellow old Dog. Special and capable of a depth of relationship that is not easy to find. This site is special and cool though, almost like an old Dog.

Duffy