PDA

View Full Version : Guitar straps

Robert
May 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM
What kind of guitar straps do you prefer? I just bought one today, a nylon one made by Planet Waves. It was very wide, which is nice.

I like leather straps better, but I they didn't have any nice ones.
Levy's seem like well made straps.

duhvoodooman
May 27th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I have a Planet Waves strap on my Strat, and it's quite comfortable. But my favorite is the LM 3" leather embroidered strap (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/LM-Products-Embroidered-3-Guitar-Straps?sku=364976)I have on my LP. Very comfortable, with very soft leather and light padding inside. This group of straps all have a Christian symbol embroidered on them, so may not appeal to everyone.

Spudman
May 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I use wide straps (3 inch or so) for all my heavy guitars. It makes a 5 hour night with a Les Paul bearable.

Mostly though I have found the 2 or 2 1/2 inch black nylon web straps my favorite. They are easy to clean, light, don't retain odors like leather and go with all my outfits. Some Peavey and D'Addario and Fort Bryan seem to have the sturdiest leather ends. They are also great in that you can fill them up with buttons with sayings on them or pins of other sorts and you don't destroy a nice leather strap.

Katastrophe
May 28th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Nylon straps on the Ibanez and Charvel. I have a sorta beige color 2.5" (approx.) Levy's strap that feels like cotton for the ESP... Very comfy for playing long periods of time!

joek86
May 29th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I have a MOODY, really comfortable and great quality........

Joe

Robert
May 29th, 2006, 12:48 PM
MOODY? Never heard of - gotta investigate this.

Update on my Planet Waves strap - I really like it. It's very wide and it's very comfy to wear the guitar now. I should get one for my body-bruising (right Justa?) jazz bass which is a bit heavier than my Squier guitars!

The thumb is way up for the Planet Waves strap.

Tim
May 29th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I have 4 straps. Two of them are 2 ½ are soft leather/suede and the other is a nylon mesh. I do not remember the manufacturers. I like the leather/suede because the guitar does not slip when it is on the shoulder. Even when you let go of the guitar, it does not slip. On the acoustic is a LM 3 inch leather strap.

My next straps will be from Planet Wave. I like their locking feature that they have. I wish someone would invent a button lock you could slip over the button so the guitar would not come lose from straps that are more worn and just getting comfortable. I believe someone on the Fret Net thought they saw them somewhere.

blogan
May 29th, 2006, 03:02 PM
You mean like the Dunlop Ergo Lok Strap System (http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=142&pmh=products/accessories)?

http://www.jimdunlop.com/newsite/htdocs/files/1146195834_STRAPLOK_ERGO_LOK_STRAP_7007_463x342.jp g

Spudman
May 29th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I found something like what Blogan posted. Sometimes on the checkout counter at the music stores they have a jar of these straplock type plastic things like the Dunlop below. I've seen pairs of them list for around $5.

Robert
May 29th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I tried them, didn't like them. They kept coming off, and they squeak when I use a leather strap (didn't mean to sound kinky...)

SuperSwede
May 30th, 2006, 02:56 AM
they squeak when I use a leather strap (didn't mean to sound kinky...)

ROFL that made my day Robert!! :D

I use the same old padded leather strap that I have had for probably 15 years. I have done a few "new hole" modifications.

Tim
May 30th, 2006, 04:06 AM
I tried them, didn't like them. They kept coming off...

Well if they keep coming off then there is no use in buy them. How about the Planet Wave locks on their straps? Do they slip off also?

tremoloman
May 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I love the leather straps that came with my American Deluxe Strat. Super comfortable, easy to adjust, and I never even know it's on when I'm playing. Some of the nylon models have turned my neck into hamburger when performing live. :P

BTW: The Schaller locking system is the best! Invest $15 and never worry about your guitar falling off of you and smashing against the floor. The systems makes changing guitars a breeze.

Justaguyin_nc
May 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM
MOODY? Never heard of - gotta investigate this.

Update on my Planet Waves I should get one for my body-bruising (right Justa?) jazz bass which is a bit heavier than my Squier guitars!

All kidding aside.. or not..lol.. I need to wear a strap sitting with that thing (SX bass) now.. I wonder if wearing one high enough is possible while sitting and still comfy...
have tried Nylon web, padded shoulder nylons and 2 to 3 inch cloth straps.. havent found one I really like yet... Never thought about the smell in leather straps.. so I wont go that route now.. I have seen some players with very wide ones.. 5 inches or so in what looks like nylon webbing... think that might be next... (Might just get a stand to put the bass in, in front of me..:) )

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2007, 02:08 PM
havent found one I really like yet...

Someone noticed the 2 inch tweed strap from fender on one of my guitars...
http://a862.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/120/l_45c852af61cb5b8755279f274402886d.jpg

this one.. I really like... comfy..but I don't gig.. so I don't know about the long haul... found it on ebay... worth the money..

pes_laul
September 18th, 2007, 03:47 PM
yeah i love clip lock straps but i cant find a nice leather one with the cliplock on it so i use those tiny dimarzio straps which can be uncomfortable

Algonquin
September 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Someone noticed the 2 inch tweed strap from fender on one of my guitars...
http://a862.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/120/l_45c852af61cb5b8755279f274402886d.jpg

this one.. I really like... comfy..but I don't gig.. so I don't know about the long haul... found it on ebay... worth the money..

Hey Justaguyin_nc... that's a pretty nice scratching post you bought Boots. :eek:

just strum
September 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I find it more difficult to find a strap then I do finding a guitar. I always sit when I play acoustic and since I cannot find a strap that I really like (without paying as much as a cost of an inexpensive guitar) I am still strapless.

When I go to a music shop I have yet to locate one I like and when I go on line I check out sweetwater and some others, but reluctant to purchase because I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it. I start experimenting and then I guess I would have a case of GSAS to go with GAS and GAAS.

Big K
September 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM
kinda like the LM brand.... have a 3" studded one, 2.5" padded crushed velvet and a 3" Ralph Marlin Flame...

kiteman
September 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I have a cheap nylon strap or two but I need a better one. I don't know what a better one is so how 'bout some tips?

I haven't found any better strap locks than a couple of oversized washers like what I got on mine.

chordshredder
September 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I found some guy on ebay selling SRV lookalikes; I have a one black with white notes and one white with black notes and then a rough cowhide with buckles and fringe- That one is pretty far out for me but looks cool on my butterscotch tele. But most time I'm setting in front of the amp so dont really need them. Technique is sure different sitting vs standing Huh? From personal experience I cant recommend dunlop nylon at least not on a heavey lespaul type git.

Robert
June 5th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Just found this website - http://www.leathersmithdesigns.com/custom-leather-guitar-straps.htm

Reasonable prices, looks like nice straps.

warren0728
June 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM
i really don't use straps since i always play sitting down (at home on my couch)....the only strap i have is a custom made one that is a houndstooth print....

ww

bigoldron
June 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I've bought several straps from these people and have been VERY satisfied: http://www.atlasguitarstrap.com

Jodi and Paul will do whatever to make you happy. They're very nice, have a good product, a decent price and will ship it quickly. Tell them "Bigoldron" sent you!

Plank_Spanker
June 6th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I like thick, wide leather straps, with sewn and bound edges. They don't dig into my shoulder over the night.

dws
June 6th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned them...

I have a Joe Satriani strap. It's phenomenal. Very comfortable even when I'm playing for an extended period of time. Interesting artwork on them too..."Drawn by Joe Satriani".

Look on the Guitar Center website. They're not expensive, but very worth it.

just strum
June 6th, 2008, 07:47 PM
It took me about 1.5 years to find a strap that I liked and didn't break the bank.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/L9PBRN/

I love it.

It took me 1.5 years to buy one strap and during that time I purchased

6 electrics
3 Acoustics
1 Acoustic/Electric
2 Amps
and other assorted inexpensive goodies, but the strap was elusive for a long time.

Steve206
June 7th, 2008, 08:41 PM
During one of my attempts to have all the right gear needed to be able to actually look like I knew what I was doing, I bought a wide [3 1/2"] strap, made out of some space age polymer. Supposed to last for a long time. Looks like it will last forever, as I feel that it needs one of those shoulder pads to keep the thin material from biting into the skin.

I just checked the guitar cupboard and I have five straps. I even have some kind of thing that will hold an autoharp on your chest. Do I use them? No. Am I ready? Yes.

Steve

Danzego
June 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I don't give straps much thought. I buy whatever is cheap, feels soft on the underside, and doesn't look silly.

bigoldron
June 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I like thick, wide leather straps, with sewn and bound edges. They don't dig into my shoulder over the night.

You need to check out http://www.atlasguitarstrap.com then. The straps I've gotten from them are 2.5 - 3 inches in width and are very soft without a bound edge (just stitched). I did order one for a heavy bass that had "fake fur" as padding. It really helped! Tell Jodi that I sent you! :AOK:

just strum
June 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I did order one for a heavy bass that had "fake fur" as padding. It really helped! Tell Jodi that I sent you! :AOK:

I always wondered where those fake sheep in peoples from yards went. Hmm, I just might start raising fake sheep for extra gas and GAS money.

Those look like some nice straps.

bigoldron
June 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I always wondered where those fake sheep in peoples from yards went. Hmm, I just might start raising fake sheep for extra gas and GAS money.

Those look like some nice straps.

They are. Be sure you get the soft leather ones. You won't be disappointed!