PDA

View Full Version : PRS SE coiltap

beachhound
August 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Has anyone tried this? I heard on another forum that the wire between the bobbins is easily accessible but I don't want to pull the pickups apart and find out I have bad info. Also should the ground wire be shielded?

TIA

marnold
August 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I assume you mean turning a two-lead pickup into a four-lead one? I know it's possible, but it would seem to me that a) I'd REALLY want to make sure I knew exactly what I was doing and b) I'd be fully prepared to buy a replacement if it gets fouled up.

beachhound
August 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Agreed. As to knowing what I am doing...I'll hold on that for now. After i've either suceeded or crashed and burned I'll be able to say that. As to new pups, that's not a big expense. Not one I want to do if I don't have to but not like blowing up a good amp. 150-200 is an expensive lesson. 400-up is a big lesson in stupidity that I try not to make.

ShootTheGlass
August 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Heard of people doing it before, not sure how easy it is to make successful though.

What SE is it? I only ask as I sold the standard pups from my Tremonti SE and only got about £20 ($40) for the pair. Id imagine youd get a second hand set even cheaper if youre in the US. Id say at that price, its worth having a try :)

ShortBuSX
August 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Try it on a cheap pup first.
Or do like he suggested and buy a used one(or two), mod those and then drop em in.
I was kinda like you though, I wanted that Peter Green mod pretty badly...fortunately for me I was able to find a video walk though of a guy flipping the magnet on a very expensive OEM PAF that had been out of phase from the factory...that video inspired enough confidence that I was able to do that delicate of a job FIRST time, first try.(BTW mine wasnt a PAF)

My advice is to try it on another less expensive pup...I was too anxious and couldnt wait to find a donor.

Oh yeah, and look for a How To Video online!

[edit]But if its already a 4 conductor pup...then rock n roll...break out the soldering iron!:rockon:

beachhound
August 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM
[edit]But if its already a 4 conductor pup...then rock n roll...break out the soldering iron!:rockon:[/QUOTE]

I was told by the guitar tech that GC sent it out to that he couldn't do it. My thought is that he looked at it, saw two wires and didn't want to open the pup to find the wire to tap. I can understand that. I just really want that ability to cut that pup. I will probably get to it over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the feedback.

ShortBuSX
August 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Have you popped the control cover off to have a look at it yourself?

beachhound
September 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Have you popped the control cover off to have a look at it yourself?

Yeah. it's tight in there. Switchs are mounted already. two mini toggles. There's enough room to run the ground wire through the routing. I just have to commit to it and pull 'em. The Pickups that is.