PDA

View Full Version : Musician's Radio - Podcasts, highly reccomended!!

jpfeifer
August 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I love to listen to interviews of famous musicians, songwriters, etc, just to find out what makes them tick, and how they got started, their influences, etc.

Recently I found a site that creates a weekly radio show where they interview all kinds of famous musicians for an hour-long show. I've been downloading their podcasts for the past month or so and I'm amazed at these interviews. They're great and I've learned a lot of interesting things from these interviews. It also gives you an appreciation for people that have spent their lives in the music biz.

One particular episode really spoke to me because they asked all of these various musicians the same question "What advice would you have for younger players, or people just starting out", and then spent the whole hour playing back the answers from all of these people ranging from David Crosby, Tommy Shannon (Stevie Ray's bass player), Mike Post, Robben Ford, Laurence Juber, ....
The answers are amazing, and very enlightening. It's very interesting to hear what all of these guys say. Some of them are cautionary tales about drugs, others are more practical about various aspects of playing, some offer career advice, and some just mention that there is no easy way to do it other than playing from your heart. I highly reccomend this one episode if you only go to the site for that item. It dispells a lot of the myths about making a living with music. Some of the answers will inspire you, and others will make you feed glad that you have a normal job (at least it did for me :-). Check out show episode #57
http://www.musiciansradio.com/index.php/podcasts

You can also find this directly from iTunes and download to your iPod from there. Have fun! These episodes are great for listening to on long car trips or plane rides.

-- Jim

jpfeifer
August 25th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Also, I would reccomend show episode 75. This is an interview with Seymore Duncan. He has a lot of cool stories about working with Jeff Beck among other things.

-- Jim

warren0728
August 25th, 2008, 05:00 PM
cool link jim.... :bravo:

i have bookmarked it! :beer:

ww