PDA

View Full Version : Ugh. Trying to quit smoking... AGAIN.

Katastrophe
August 26th, 2008, 01:49 PM
So, this is my 5,423rd attempt to quit smoking, or at least it seems that way. It's been approximately 28 hours and 47 minutes since my last cigarette.

This quitting thing sucks. Wish I'd never started in the first place.

Wish me luck.

WackyT
August 26th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Just try to keep yourself busy with other tasks. It gets easier after about 3-5 days.

Katastrophe
August 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks, Wacky... The problem is, I'm having difficulty focusing on any one task for an extended period of time. Kinda like having sudden onset adult ADHD...

I've got some nicotine replacement lozenges and they are helping, but I know that I have to get off of those eventually.

WackyT
August 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Yup. I quit cold turkey. That way I wouldn't have to break another nicotine source with the gum, patch, or lozenge.

Tone2TheBone
August 26th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I smoked off and on all my life since I was...well since I was "young". What helped me stop completely was being told it was a risk factor for heart disease. While that fact may be a "duh" overall it sure made me stop the foolishness because I consider life and living to be a precious thing. So the way I figure it I've got one less vice against me. At least. ;) Think of something that does that for you and it will help. Think of the guitars, amps and pedals you could be spending that money on.

street music
August 26th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Start drinking Mountain Dew every time you want a smoke, then you will be hooked on Caffine and then you can switch to 7-up and the cure is done.
THIS IS JUST my opinion and I'm not trying to be a doctor, fallow directions at your own risk.

ted s
August 26th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Keep at it Kat ! I have quit and failed a few time myself.
(currently on the failed side)

sumitomo
August 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Kat Im here to help ya.A little over a year ago I stopped smoking I am no longer a slave to those stink sticks,I had to have a kidney removed because there was a tumor on it and alot of these tumors are caused from you got it smoking.The lungs,liver,kidneys there filters of sorts,Im doing great now and you will too,you just wake up everyday and make that decision.Keep it up you will make it.Sumi:D:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
August 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Keep on rockin' in the smoke free world Kat!!! You can do it!!!

warren0728
August 26th, 2008, 05:44 PM
good for you kat....sending some non-smokin' mojo your way! :AOK:

ww

just strum
August 26th, 2008, 05:48 PM
You can do it, Kat!!!

But I would stay away from the Mt Dew - that stuff will have you smoking 3 packs a day along with some ganja.

marnold
August 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Mercifully I never started (allergies and slight asthma probably helped that decision too). It can be done. The first several days will be the hardest. After that, it's smooth sailing. You could be like a friend of mine. He ended up quitting by having to have major jaw surgery. Not exactly the way I'd prefer to do it, but six weeks later and it's still working.

peachhead
August 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Keep it up Kat- major good luck wishes to you!!

TS808
August 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM
So, this is my 5,423rd attempt to quit smoking, or at least it seems that way. It's been approximately 28 hours and 47 minutes since my last cigarette.

This quitting thing sucks. Wish I'd never started in the first place.

Wish me luck.

Good luck with quitting. If it gets too bad (the withdrawal) I'd really suggest going to the doc and getting a prescription for Chantix. It works really well: It helped me to quit chewing tobacco and my brother also used it to quit smoking.

It virtually eliminates the tobacco withdrawal, and also blocks the effect of nicotine if you smoke (or chew) while taking it.

The worst side effect is stomach upset though if you can put up with that. I constantly felt like I had a blown up balloon in my stomach. My brother experienced the same thing. But stomach upset is also typical with quitting nicotine too, so who knows if it's from the meds or from not using tobacco anymore.

Katastrophe
August 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm gonna need it if I'm going to make it past 3 months (the longest I've been able to quit for in quite a while).

I think when the next craving hits, I'll just grab the Strat and play until it goes away...

Rocket
August 26th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Good luck with quitting. If it gets too bad (the withdrawal) I'd really suggest going to the doc and getting a prescription for Chantix.
Sure... don't let those minor moody feelings of anxiety, nervousness, tension, depression, unusual behavior, suicidal ideation, neuropsychiatric symptoms, or withdrawal throw you... probably won't affect someone free from a history of addictive behavior.
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01788.html

Drug addiction, (in this case, nicotine,) can never be cured by ingesting another drug... that's called replacement or substitution therapy.
The human mind is an amazing thing once it's made up... take control of your own and you will succeed without adding to the chemical setlist.

sumitomo
August 26th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Remember your choice is to stop smoking that's a winners choice.I do not like that saying Im gunna quit cause losers quit winners make the choice to stop.I cant always change my circumstances but I can change my attitude.Sumi:D

aeolian
August 26th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Kat, I don't have the habit so I can't relate to how tough it is to quit. I do know that if you have the willpower to work hard at playing guitar well, you have the will power to stop a habit that you know does you no good.

And I agree with you about playing some guitar when your urge to smoke comes up.

Jimi75
August 27th, 2008, 05:18 AM
My sister did an acupuncture therapy last year in the Netherlands and she went from 1,5 packages a day to ZERO! I am happy she quit and I can tell you she feels so much better and gained so much more quality in her life.

I cross my fingers for you and hope you will find a way to quit smoking very soon.

:AOK: