PDA

View Full Version : Great Forum for Fretheads

aldente55
May 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Not only am I a new Frethead, but also a new threader. Having visited this site many times as an observer/guest I was continually amazed at the wealth of good info and advise that was being posted. My first offering is posted at the Product review area. My thanks to Robert for getting me started in the right direction.
I am the ultimate frustrated guitarist. My teen son can play the dickins out of any tune he hears, and I can't get the dang thing tuned let alone play a tune! Oh well at least I want to try. Our axe collection consists of: '83 white strat, home made Warmoth kit that has Duncans and all sorts of good electroics, Tacoma electric/acoustic, Seagull electric/acoustic, '94 Fender Jazz bass and a Pignose Ukelele. My kid plays them all, I just struggle.
Have fun and keep on strummin'
Al

Spudman
May 28th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the Fret, but aren't you a little underdone? :D
Hope you enjoy posting and hanging out here. Looks like you fit right in. Enjoy.

Robert
May 28th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Welcome Al, glad you joined us. There are lots of opportunities to learn from other fretters here, so stick around and enjoy.

R

SuperSwede
May 28th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Welcome Al!
Tell us more about that ukulele, I think I am in the market for one myself...

ZoSo65
May 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Welcome aldente55,
You'll be catching up to your son in no time ;)

aldente55
May 28th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the nice hospitality folks. To Super Swede: the uke is a nice little axe. Stays in tune and was the right price for an entry into uke playin'.
Keep on Strummin'
Al

oldguy
May 28th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Welcome, Al! Glad you joined. I, too, have a son, (25), who can teach me a thing or two. About a year ago I showed him a blues lick, and he came back with "Have you ever heard this?" and proceeded to kick off "Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson! WoW! Made me practice every spare minute for two weeks.
And I still can't play it.:confused:

Justaguyin_nc
May 29th, 2006, 02:04 PM
My thanks to Robert for getting me started in the right direction.
Al

Welcome Al... Great place here... I guess by now Robert knows he is a great asset to us beginners..(insert applause) and he has also attracted some informative people to add into these forums... BTW, Old people gather here like a resthome.. so feel comfy and enjoy the stay ... One of the best low pressure and freindly forums you will find on the net...

tremoloman
May 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Welcome aboard!

Don't get discouraged about your playing... just take it slowly and go at your own pace. In my experience trying to "keep up" with someone just leads to fustration.

So how would you say is your playing level? What songs/solos can you play? I'm just asking so I know where you are in playing ability.

aldente55
May 31st, 2006, 10:48 AM
Wow, the hospitality is most appreciated. Maybe I can learn to play after all? Tremoloman wants to know what I play? I'm more of a strummer than a picker. I did learn (at one time) the first five minutes of Jessica (Allmans) can strum along to Uncle John's Band (Grataful Dead). I mess around with Blues chord progressions Etc. A couple of Clapton tunes. Buddy Guy's "Feels like rain". Mostly easy to remember, 3 or 4 chord wonders. I love the late fifties, early sixties Blues. Alvin Lee and Carl Weathersby are favorites.
Thanks again folks,
Al

tremoloman
June 1st, 2006, 07:59 AM
You can move beyound strumming. I was in your shoes only a couple of years ago myself. I vastly improved my playing by finding a song that was "over my head" and taught myself how to play it.

For example, "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC has this cool hammer on/pull off riff that I thought was hard. After a little practice, I can fly through it in my sleep. Another great song to help this technique for me was Rush's 'The Spirit of Radio.' Next I learned Extreme's 'Decadance Dance' which has about 10 lessons in itself.

I think you may find The Ventures instrumental music a blast to play with and could possibly expand your soloing technique without being intimidating. Their songs are pretty easy to play for the most part and will help develop your soloing. Think about giving 'Pipeline', 'Nutrocker', or 'Wipeout' a go. They are very clever and always impress. :)

For the record, in my "mostly 80s" cover band, we do a hard rock/metal version of 'Pipeline' as the intro to Iron Maiden's 'Run To The Hills'. It goes over really well with both young and old. :) The theme to 'Batman' and 'Spiderman' also come out cool too.

Good luck! :)

M29
June 7th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Welcome Al! I have been doin some strummin over the years and have just recently been messin with solos and having a great time with it. When I was a teen as with many of us here we used to ruin a few records and needles trying to learn songs by playing them over and over again but there is a lot of new devices out now that really help. Also the guys/gals (I hope there are some gals here) are a great help and inspriation and make you feel right at home.

M29

Tim
June 7th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Hello Aldente55,

Welcome to the Fret Net. Have fun, enjoy and meet a lot of good folks here.