PDA

View Full Version : RIP Stevie Ray (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990)

Tone2TheBone
August 26th, 2008, 11:19 PM
As always a sad day for me begins tomorrow as I recall the memory of a truly gifted man and awe inspiring musician. I can't believe it's been that long already. Thank you Stevie Ray for your unbelievable contribution to our world....

_YIHvK5WN7I

Algonquin
August 27th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Wow... where has 18 years gone. I remember the day well.

duhvoodooman
August 27th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Amen! Stevie may have left us 18 years ago, but his music never will. What a legacy of beauty, power and emotion! RIP, SRV! :AOK: :bravo: :beer:

Jimi75
August 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM
RIP Stevie.
Alreday 18 years?! It is unbelievable how fast time runs, but it is also very positive to see how vivid his music and his spirit are still today.

:master:

Rocket
August 27th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I never realized he was born day after me.

Bloozcat
August 27th, 2008, 06:20 AM
This is always a day of mixed emotions for me...

Yes, it's the day Stevie Ray passed away. But, it's also the day my mother passed away in 1977. When my wife and I were planning our wedding 25 years ago, the only day that everything came together was August 27th, which was a Saturday that year. I know my mother would have been happy that we turned a sad day into a joyus one, but there's still a tinge of sadness still 31 years later.

So, tonight as my wife and I raise our champagne glasses in toast our 25th wedding anniversary, I'll give a little silent toast to my mother...and Stevie Ray too....

rkwrenn
August 27th, 2008, 06:59 AM

+1

Today is my and my wifes birthday. My celebration is tempered a little with thoughts of SRV and where he might be today.

Cheers,

Bob

warren0728
August 27th, 2008, 07:11 AM
hard to believe it's been 8 years....rip srv....

ww

marnold
August 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I remember the day clearly. I was working at the bank (I was a summer teller) preparing to head off to the Seminary soon. I was having a terrible day. Everything seemed to be going wrong. Then it came across the radio that both Stevie and Eric Clapton had been killed. The report was later corrected that it was only SRV. Some classmates of mine were at his last concert at Alpine Valley. The report came out that he had crashed into a mountain in Wisconsin. I said, "A mountain? In Wisconsin?" Apparently there was fog and they hit a skiing hill. The only good thing is that they played SRV tunes for the rest of the day.

M29
August 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM
RIP Stevie Ray.

M29

R_of_G
August 27th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Yes, it's the day Stevie Ray passed away. But, it's also the day my mother passed away in 1977. When my wife and I were planning our wedding 25 years ago, the only day that everything came together was August 27th, which was a Saturday that year. I know my mother would have been happy that we turned a sad day into a joyus one, but there's still a tinge of sadness still 31 years later.

So, tonight as my wife and I raise our champagne glasses in toast our 25th wedding anniversary, I'll give a little silent toast to my mother...and Stevie Ray too....

Glad you could make a positive out of it. Happy Anniversary to you and your wife! Today also happens to be my birthday.

aeolian
August 27th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I guess I have never told the story of how I met him once.

It was a few months before his tragic accident, my wife and I were going from Portland, Or, to Dallas to visit friends. We were at the airport departure lounge and we saw this group of people, several wearing tour jackets. Soon we figured out it was Stevie and his band. I have heard of him at the time, but I was not really familiar with his music.

We got on the plane and my wife and I were seated in the row right behind SRV. Soon after the flight took off the whole band nodded off to sleep. My wife used to live in Dallas and has heard of him from his reputation playing around town. My wife kept telling me that we should get his autograph. Several hours into the flight he woke up. I said hi to him and asked him for his autograph. He was very gracious and signed on a piece of paper we gave him. Then he asked us whether we wanted autographs of the rest of the band. Of course we said yes. We got autographs from all of them except one member who was still asleep. He told us the band had just done a concert in Portland and was heading home.

In my brief conversation with him he was extremely polite with no attitude at all, and he has beautiful handwriting. My wife tells me that we still have the autograph somewhere.

player
August 27th, 2008, 11:49 AM
My wife tells me that we still have the autograph somewhere.
IF you find it frame it.Happy Anniversary it'll make a good conversation piece

Slowhand
August 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Have you ever wondered why his guitars were so battered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMW0t17Ft5o&eurl=http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8333

Just wish I had an ounce of is talent.

sunvalleylaw
August 27th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I did not truly become aware of him until the year before he passed. Someone turned my on to his music and I got In Step and later Family Style. I had just really gotten into his music and he was gone. His story of his struggles and recovery are very interesting to me. I am sorry he is gone.

bigoldron
August 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Rip Srv!