PDA

View Full Version : August 27th Birthdays in Music

R_of_G
August 27th, 2008, 07:47 AM
August 27th is a good one for musical birthdays...

1909 - Lester Young

I know there are other jazz fans here at the Fret, certainly Robert. Anybody else love Lester Young? Lester Young was an amazing horn player. He played with Count Basie and many other great projects. Charles Mingus' beautiful "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" is a tribute to Lester.

1937 - Alice Coltrane

Alice was the wife of saxophonist John Coltrane. A great player in her own right, Alice played piano and organ as well as harp. There is a great connection between her music and Indian classical music which always is a plus for me.

1940 - Sonny Sharrock

Sonny is very high up on my list of guitar players. There are great feedback guitar players, and then there is Sonny Sharrock. He was the absolute master or tone control. His work with Miles was phenomenal (particularly his touch on "Yesternow" from the Tribute to Jack Johnson album. He was a member of the very influential punk/jazz group Last Exit along with Peter Brötzmann, Bill Laswell and Ronald Shannon Jackson. That will be a band I could never hear enough of. Same goes for his work with Pharoah Sanders ("Red Ribbons" stands out to me).

1953 - Alex Lifeson

As many probably know, Lifeson plays guitar for the band Rush. They've provided a lot of great music, and I can still hardly believe it comes from only three people. They're all outstanding musicians.

Also, happy birthday to rkwrenn!

rkwrenn
August 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks R_of_G.

Check this link...

http://www.brainyhistory.com/daysbirth/birth_august_27.html

Wow! Mother Teresa born on Aug 27.

Have a great day!!!

Cheers,

Bob

R_of_G
August 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Hey Bob.

I did notice Mother Theresa when compiling my list. Some other notable people that share our birthday include...

Samuel Goldywn - Hollywood producer
Man Ray - photographer/artist
Lyndon Baines Johnson - former U.S. President (today is LBJ Day in Texas)
Sri Chimnoy - Indian guru
Tuesday Weld - actress
Paul Reubens (aka Pee Wee Herman) - actor
Peter Stormare - actor
Adam Oates - former NHL hockey player
Jim Thome - MLB baseball star (and one of the great HR hitters of all time)
Sarah Chalke - actress

In addition, not only is Aug 27, as mentioned in another thread, the date when Stevie Ray Vaughan died tragically, it was also the date that Haile Selassie (Emperor of Ethiopia) passed.

On this date in 1776 - The Battle of Long Island: in what is now Brooklyn, New York, British forces under General William Howe defeat Americans under General George Washington. Interesting to me as Brooklyn is where both sides of my family started in this country.

It is also Independence Day in former soviet country Moldova.

Happy 27th.:dude: