PDA

View Full Version : Places you've played

Brian Krashpad
August 27th, 2008, 03:05 PM
OK, I stole this idea from another board. Sue me. List places you've played. If you wish, you may concentrate on places with interesting or unique names, or places where memorable events occurred (in the latter instance, a parenthetical explanation of what happened would be swell).

Or just list all of them (or all you can remember).

Here's a lot of mine. All are/were in Florida, mostly Gainesville, but also Tallahassee, Jax, Tampa, Orlando, and Ft. Myers.

Hardback Cafe (bar that had formerly housed a bookstaore)
Full Circle
Pizza Factory
Civic Media Center
Alachua Music Harvest (fest at Alachua County Fairgrounds)
Alachua County Fairgrounds (during Alachua County Fair)
Florida Music and Film Harvest (at Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park)
Covered Dish
Lyric Cafe
People's Peace Party (this was a weekend-long fest/party in an oak grove surrounded by orange groves)
Cow Haus
Moto Lounge
High Note
Down-Lo
Purple Porpoise
Higher Learning
Brick City Music Hall
Common Grounds
D.I.Y. Records
Media Play (a chain mega-store-- got thrown out after one song)
University Club (one of 2 gay bars I've played over the years)
Brass Mug
Market Street Pub
Florida Theatre
The Shamrock
Eddie C's (and later when it was re-named the Backstage, best part: there is no backstage there)
Krieger's Warehouse
Lillian's Music Store (a bar, not a store, usually shortened to just "Lillian's")
The Atlantic
1982 Bar (have yet to hear an explanation for the name)
Bar One
Orange & Brew (UF on-campus bar)
The Rathskellar (UF dining hall that doubled as on-campus bar, long since burned down)
Colonel's Fried Chicken
Skeeter's
Artitorium
Madonna Mama's
Club Rev
Jewells (club where I played bass for Bo Diddley)
Florida Theatre
Club Demolition
Boofest (annual Halloween outdoor fest on private property on a lake)
Wagfest (held at Wagner's Automotive in the service bays)
Admiral Spaccoli's (St. Augustine, FL 2-day gig ending in a money dispute, venue called the cops on us after the bar stiffed us the second nigh

Oh, almost forgot the venue where I performed almost every week for 10 straight years:

Abiding Savior Lutheran Church

A couple other churches I've performed at:

First Lutheran Church
St. Patrick's Catholic Church

Your turn!

Algonquin
August 27th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I'm a regular at the 'Three Bee's'

Basement
Backyard
Bedroom

Brian Krashpad
August 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I'm a regular at the 'Three Bee's'

Basement
Backyard
Bedroom

Man, I wish Florida houses had basements. No offense to Yankees, but they're the only thing I miss from up north.

On the other hand, I have my office after hours to play in, and it's every bit as soundproof as any basement.

Plus Mrs. Krashpad can't come downstairs and tell me to turn down.

So I ain't complainin. :D

Spudman
August 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I wish I could remember all the places I've played. (I just hope some of the people there don't remember me:o )

I just usually say that I've played from the Mississippi west and from Saskatchewan west and once in Alabama.

R_of_G
August 27th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Brick City Music Hall

In Gainesville? I've seen a show there. An excellent venue for people like me who like to stand right up front and watch the musicians work. I saw Karl Denson's Tiny Universe there. The guitar player in that band, Brian Jordan, is awesome. He can bring the funk, but he can also rock very hard when he wants to. Nice guy too. Definitely worth the 2 hour car ride to go see.

The only places I've played have been at home, friend's homes and my parent's home. About 15 years ago I sang once with a friend's band at one of their gigs at a place called Yeoman's Road, but that was long before I ever picked up a guitar.

evenkeel
August 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Back in the dark ages, a couple of high school gyms.

More recently:
Art Village Courtyard
Fishlips
Ka Tiki
Blueberry Patch all these are in St. Pete.
A bar in Clearwater that I've forgotten the name of.

the cockpit of my boat and several others when we were cruising.
Staniel Key, Bahamas
Monument Beach and Volleyball Beach, Georgetown, Bahamas

Here is a pic from Volleyball beach. I'm the goofy guy in the middle. Tune is "If I had a Boat" Note capo!!!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/evenkeel_album/v-ballifIhad2.jpg

PAPPY
August 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I've played in fifteen states in the USA and even in Mexico.
Names: I can't say
memorable events: you bet
explanation of what happened would be swell): kinda personal don't ya think? Never talk about the ladies you meet.

If I ever learn how to play this danged guitar I would like to return to a few of those states and play some music.

I just had to beat Shiner to this one, sorry the devil made me do it.

luvmyshiner
August 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Man, I'm not sure who I'm more envious of, Keel or Pappy!:D I'm more like Algonquin, although I would add a fourth "B" . . . the bathroom.:D Acoustics are great in there, and if I've had a big bowl of CB's chili, I can even add a bass back beat.:AOK:

Katastrophe
August 27th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Man, I'm not sure who I'm more envious of, Keel or Pappy!:D I'm more like Algonquin, although I would add a fourth "B" . . . the bathroom.:D Acoustics are great in there, and if I've had a big bowl of CB's chili, I can even add a bass back beat.:AOK:

Now, how in the hell do you follow a post like that?:rotflmao:

I've played on stage at:

The Back Room
Steamboat
Pato's Tacos
The World
a little party boat on a lagoon in Cancun, Mexico
The Maxwell Social Club in Maxwell, TX
... and a few other places, nothing like BK and Spud, and others.

marnold
August 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM
As a bassist I played at three schools: at junior-senior banquet (our version of the prom) in high school, at various "talent" shows in college, and at another one of our high schools for recruitment. Sadly none of them were playing the metal that I am legendary in my own mind for. As a guitarist, I played some blues thing for our Christmas party at church a number of years ago. That's about it.

Spudman
August 27th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I played a quonset hut in Montana...and rolled in the hay.;)

hubberjub
August 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM
The John Barleycorn
Cyber Cafe West
Old City Hall
The Railhouse
The Blarney Stone
Killkenney's
Penuchi's
The Railroad Tavern
Westfest
The New York State Fair
Strawberry Festival
Sterling Stage String Fling
Sterling Stage Folk Festival
Sterling Stage Last Daze
The Magic City Music Hall
The Bull and Bear Pub
Mezanote Lounge
Musefest
Castaways
Keene State College

(I could go on but our contract typically states that we get free beer.)

M29
August 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I haven't played anywhere on the guitar yet but my daughter got her and I a gig with the 6 year olds at church every Sunday. Got me committed and I did not even know about it. Will have to get a few songs together for that:D

On the drums I played around Michigan (Pontiac, Detroit, Traverse City, Monroe) Florida (Lake Worth, Lantana, West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Davie, Miami, Sarasota) New York (Huntington, on Long Island) Chicago (Chicago Heights.) And like Spuds said, I don't know if I want anyone there to remember me either. :D Great times great memories...well most but not all. Did I tell ya about the time my convertible Chevy II overheated out in the everglades???:thwap:

M29

markb
August 28th, 2008, 03:05 AM
London venues:

Rock Garden
Moonlight, West Hampstead - now defunct
Clarendon Hotel, Hammersmith (Rough Trade nights) - now demolished
The Marquee when it was in Wardour St.

That was many years ago. It's been all downhill from there.

Jimi75
August 28th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I guess naming all locations would be a pretty long list and most of the locations are in Germany so "who cares?" :-)

But there are two venues that were really special.

In 1997 I was on tour as a sidekick guitarist for a German band who's guitarist broke his leg - enter Jimi75 - and on venue we played was a historical Amphitheater that was built by the Romans, here's the link:
http://www.xanten.de/de/tourismus/kultur/sommerfestspiele/index.php

The second location was an icehockeystadium where we played in front of 8thousand people, because we composed and recorded the hymn for a first league team and presented it live on the ice on a little stage. Only the singer was live, the rest was playback and I felt kind of stupid, but it was definitely a venue to remember :-)

bigoldron
August 28th, 2008, 04:44 AM
My list is short because I never played anywhere when I was young other than jam with a few friends. I only started back playing a couple of years ago after a 20 year hiatus. I've played at our church and a couple of other local churches whenever we do our "Fifth Sunday Community Service" plus I've played at our local fall festival (Harvest Festival) and at the the Relay for Life. Kinda boring, but, hey at least I get to play! :AOK:

wingsdad
August 28th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Joe's Garage.

Rocket
August 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Joe's Garage.
Heh-heh - We take you now to a garage in Canoga Park... (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/f/frank_zappa/joes_garage_tab.htm)

sunvalleylaw
August 28th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Roberta McKercher Park, Hailey, Idaho (Springfest, twice)
Bellevue City Park, Bellevue, Idaho (Wood River Folk Fest)
Papoose Club Christmas Fair, Hemingway Elementary School, Ketchum, Idaho
4th Ave. Plaza, Ketchum, ID
Seabeck Christian Conference Grounds, Seabeck, WA
My kids' schools.

tot_Ou_tard
August 28th, 2008, 04:45 PM
. Tune is "If I had a Boat"

I would have guessed "Wasting Away in Margaritaville."

sumitomo
August 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Mostly at home.The only time I played in front of people I did not know well is when I did some prison time,we had blues guitar classes on wed night,lots of fun and concerts on Sat.Some of these guys could play,they jam some Allman bros and go for hours.Sumi:D